Worthy of a Mention - COVID-19 Edition

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Worthy of a Mention - COVID-19 Edition

Post by Pruitt »

I've said to a bunch of people that this is something we won't look back on and laugh or have fond memories of.

But you're right, somewhere down the road there will be efforts to sentimentalize this time.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:51 pm Not sure the right place, so I'll put it here and know its not a fully formed thought at all right now: There's something, albeit unintentionally ... short-sighted/selfish ... about the messaging of "this is temporary" or "when this is over" that I fear is going to leave the people most affected behind later on. We lost a dad in my oldest's class yesterday, which is just emotionally shattering, and I find myself offended(?) by all the positive forward looking stuff I've read since. I didn't before. If the quarantine is over in two months, I have a strong suspicion everyone will consider themselves survivors but for many it'll be looked back on with new hobbies or posts about "what I'm grateful for the virus giving me" or whatever. It won't be viewed positively, but almost as a novelty? For his kids and his wife and his family and close friends (myself not included), there's no "when this is over" because now things are irreparably broken and the virus going away can't ever fix it. The community is rallying now and we won't ever forget him, but the overall coming out celebration is going to be really hard to watch given the personal level this has now touched. I don't know.
It's probably going to be comparable to something like the ending of WWII which obviously we have no idea what that will actually feel like to us. I'm sorry it's hit so closely to your family.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't think someone trying to take a positive out of a negative necessarily minimizes your friend's death.

If someone comes out and says something like "it turns out that this pandemic was actually a good thing!" for some stupid reason like they learned out to speak German or re-connected with their Mom or whatever then they're an asshole.

If they say something "what happened (to America/the world) was horrible, but I personally tried to make the best I could out of it", that's a completely different sentiment.

Also, I don't think there's going to be much celebrating at any point because this isn't a situation like V-J Day where we have a binary situation of "at war" to "not at war". I don't think most Americans truly appreciate the pain and suffering yet to come especially if these dipshits go ahead with their plan to re-open the economy without having a plan to test everyone in this country for the virus. I'm still not sure why more people aren't shorting the stock market. This is going to be a slow-moving disaster movie for the next 12 to 18 months if there isn't a "miracle" cure or vaccine.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(See, I disagree completely with Giff. I don't think there's going to be a "day this ends". Also, remember that this coronavirus is like the common cold. It's here to stay with mankind FOREVER. Vaccines and possible treatments (especially the former) could mitigate that, but there's in no sense possible over victory over this.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think people are going to see this as "surviving the quarantine", not COVID-19, since everyone was affected to some degree or another. And you'll be like "its so fucking good to be back at restaurants", because it will be, but I'm (now) concerned those who lost will feel forgotten in the collective recovery.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:14 pm I think people are going to see this as "surviving the quarantine", not COVID-19, since everyone was affected to some degree or another. And you'll be like "its so fucking good to be back at restaurants", because it will be, but I'm (now) concerned those who lost will feel forgotten in the collective recovery.
I think you're right. I imagine the feeling may be similar to celebrations at the end of a war. Yay, we won - but what about my son who isn't coming back?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:14 pm I think people are going to see this as "surviving the quarantine", not COVID-19, since everyone was affected to some degree or another. And you'll be like "its so fucking good to be back at restaurants", because it will be, but I'm (now) concerned those who lost will feel forgotten in the collective recovery.
The fact the deceased are not able to be memorialized in traditional fashion hurts, too. Many people have strong beliefs in the ceremonies associated with funerals, memorials, etc. and their part of the grieving process is significant.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’m not the first to say this, but I predict that when the numbers improve and the quarantine is lifted, people will party like it’s the end of WWII. Then, (assuming we don’t have a vaccine yet), we’ll see a big reoccurrence and do it all again. Lather rinse repeat.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

“GirlAbsolutelyHaulingAssAwayFromASailor.png wins Pulitzer”
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:00 pm (See, I disagree completely with Giff. I don't think there's going to be a "day this ends". Also, remember that this coronavirus is like the common cold. It's here to stay with mankind FOREVER. Vaccines and possible treatments (especially the former) could mitigate that, but there's in no sense possible over victory over this.)
While I don't think it's a perfect analogy, I think absolutely the country will definitely celebrate the second Dr. Fauci announces there is a vaccine. That will be when the majority of the country will feel comfortable thinking about going back to normal as much as possible at that time.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They won't be doing it in public because this government will take months at best to distribute said vaccine and you can bet it'll go to the rich and powerful first.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sigh. Ok.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

He was great in deadwood.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Comedian (and fellow Derby County fan) Tim Brooke-Taylor

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... agent-says
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Baloney wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm Comedian (and fellow Derby County fan) Tim Brooke-Taylor

That's him on the left.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:58 pm
Baloney wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm Comedian (and fellow Derby County fan) Tim Brooke-Taylor

That's him on the left.

Think he wrote the sketch if I remember right, Marty Feldman in it to, looked like Barry Cryer was the waiter
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Based on the reaction by a lot of media members to this, it seems like Causi was an incredibly respected guy. And he took many great photos of NY athletes.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

He's a friend of a friend. One of the pics my buddy posted of him last night was him taking a pic of Donovan Mitchell.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... r-has-died

If you watched this week's SNL from home, you saw the tribute. SNL Music Producer Hal Willner.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Someone has DiS on ignore!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Karl-Anthony Towns' mother has passed.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Their jingle (along with 1-800-54-GIANT) are staples of my childhood.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Should have been you, Bob
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Marlowe Stoudamire, 43. Nice little article on him in The Athletic for those who have it, but for those who don't, from NHL.com: https://www.nhl.com/news/detroit-mourns ... -316418532
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Matthew Seligman, New Wave Bassist For The Soft Boys And David Bowie, Dies At 64
Matthew Seligman, who played bass in the influential English psychedelic band The Soft Boys before joining backing bands for artists including David Bowie, Morrissey, Sinead O'Connor and the Thompson Twins, died Friday evening at St George's Hospital in London. Seligman was admitted in early April for symptoms of COVID-19; he had been on a ventilator for two weeks when, on Friday morning, he suffered a hemorrhagic stroke. His death was confirmed by English musician and producer Thomas Dolby, a longtime friend and collaborator. Seligman was 64.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Strangler's Keyboardist Dave Greenfield

One of my all time favourite bands. He was just about the best rock keyboardist ever.

Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Pruitt wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:57 am Strangler's Keyboardist Dave Greenfield

One of my all time favourite bands. He was just about the best rock keyboardist ever.

I didn’t know he wrote Golden Brown which is one of the greatest songs of that decade.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Pruitt wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:57 am Strangler's Keyboardist Dave Greenfield

No More Heroes
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Roy Horn. (Of Siegfried and Roy. The one who was attacked by the tiger.)

Heard it from my Vegas media friends. Still no story released yet.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

brian wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:24 pm Roy Horn. (Of Siegfried and Roy. The one who was attacked by the tiger.)

Heard it from my Vegas media friends. Still no story released yet.
I was just researching him last week...something made me start thinking about their act and I couldn't remember if the tiger killed him or not.

I remember that being popular Halloween costume that year.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Front page (and several interior pages) of the New York Times today is devastating.

Names Behind A Grim Toll

1,000 one line obituaries from among the first 100,000 Americans to die from Covid-19.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/nyre ... nz2BisD0PU

I never knew her real name when I went to Yale, but everyone in New Haven knew the “Shakespeare Lady.” Very, very sad life story but I’m glad she got the recognition here from the NYT for her talents.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ilhan Omar’s dad.

And a sad state of affairs that there’s a legit chance Trump mocks her for it on Twitter.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Comedian Laurie Kilmartin's mother died from Covid-19, and she tweeted through the experience:

She had a pretty epic clapback to dipshit Aubrey Huff's 'Durr...I ain't wearing a mask!' nonsense:

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Wouldn't it be just as "unconstitutional" to force people to wear pants as it is for Home Depot to force them to wear masks?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:53 pm Wouldn't it be just as "unconstitutional" to force people to wear pants as it is for Home Depot to force them to wear masks?
Yes
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.