Coronavirus - All Sports

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by rass »

We haven't even gotten an email with the barest of explanation since the beginning of April, much less money. A handful of quick Zoom warm-up sessions on Saturday mornings. I'd be cooler with paying the trainers if the level of nepotism was a little lower in the club.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:39 pm

i'll look for the other post - academy and travel .. two clubs but affiliated? interesting. little flaco was set to play w CSA this spring (no more travel since last fall).. and likely in the fall. already received invite from the HS coach (who also coaches at CSA) but is unsure if he'll play or not.. he want to run xc.. and can't do both at the same time.. spends his free non-screen time either playing soccer w friends or taking long runs... i'll play w them sometimes (try to run sessions w them while keeping them apart, mostly shooting dribling and passing no actual scrimmages)
Here ya go, from the Tammany thread:
My daughter's travel team has an affiliation with an academy program (Match Fit). Her trainer recommended her for their Talent ID session, and she got an invite to train with the team for their Winter training session. She is responding really well to the the trainer, who is a tough drill sergeant, but also throws in a touch of silliness and keeps it fun. More important, I'm extremely impressed with how welcoming the team was towards my daughter and the others. I'd say there was close to 100 girls at the talent ID (might have been two age groups), and maybe 12-15 invited to train.

Long story short, just got a "welcome to the team" email. Really not sure if this is a big deal, or of they offer it to everyone. They currently have one team in my daughter's age group, and they announced they want two teams next year. I feel like they are trying to hook us in for next year, which is fine, as I think this program is a great fit for my daughter in the style of play, the coaching and the players. They said she is on the team now, but she has to stay on her travel team through the Spring season, and they "ask affiliate players to prioritize your travel team when there are conflicts." I'm a bit confused how this will work, if they are dressing 20 players for 9v9 games, only inviting a couple of the new girls each game, or what.

So I just got a link to order the team uniform, and the "mandatory" list includes a team backpack, warmups, 3 jerseys, training shirt, 3 different shorts, 3 different socks. So in addition to paying to play for two teams, I need to buy all of this shit, and I'm not really clear on her status. Plus, tryouts for next year are starting in a bout a month. I have her signed up for tryouts at 4 academies right now, and I don't want to buy all that shit if she isn't going to make the team next year, or if she decides she wants to play at a different academy. I have to buy all the jerseys, training outfits, shorts and socks, but am I being a dick by not buying the warmups and backpack? I feel stupid buying it if she isn't really on the team, but I also don't want her to feel like the only kid not wearing warmups or bringing the backpack because I'm being cheap. OTOH, I haven't put my old house on the market, and watching the Zillow estimates plummet every week is making me nervous about money.
Funny how none of it mattered a few days later with COVID...

MatchFit has affiliations with 4 or 5 travel teams. They invite the best players from each team to a Winter session, basically a 2 day tryout. Some are invited to train with the team for the Winter session, which was maybe 10 practices. After that, they were invited to dual card and presumably a leg up at tryouts. Since tryouts were cancelled, MatchFit gave an offer to every player, including the affiliate travel kids.

This was the first year my daughter's travel club affiliated with MatchFit. When they gave offers, nobody told the travel club they gave offers. The travel club was under the impression that all players were dual carded (prioritizing conflicts to travel club) until they play U-13. MF reached out to explain. I told them I had no intentions of bringing my daughter back to the travel program for a lot of reasons. She played there for half a year, and I felt bait and switched, since I signed her up for tryouts to a non-existent elite program. MF said if they wanted to keep their affiliation, they would have to have my daughter and other kids from that club double card. I held a hard line and told them if she didn't make MF (if there were tryouts), I wasn't returning to travel, and having her tryout at several other academies. In the end, the MF Director told me that is the travel club made my daughter dual card, they would need to rethink their affiliation. My daughter has a travel teammate in the same position. Her father said he strongly preferred not to double card, but would if necessary. He was told his daughter has to double card in order to play MF next year. I feel bad they are stuck, but we talked beforehand, and I told him exactly what I was going to tell MF, and I was taking a hard line. OTOH, they live in the town of the travel team, and played there for 3 years...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:16 pm
ENCL doesn't follow NJYS protocols? where are they playing? biggest hurdle is the lack of field access for MNJYS or EDP -- travel cancelled until the fall, EDP has plans to play in July -- but all dependent on field access..
Got an email with some more information and specific details to follow. Thanks to WLU for the ECNL guidelines, because I think the club is following that. Phase 1 is virtual practices led by a coach, kids practice at home. 2 90 minute sessions a week, plus a 60 minute tactical training. That have been doing quizes through Kahoot. It seems like a lot of videos where they have a multiple choice of why it was/wasn't offside, various rules and decision making.

They slowly move to small group sessions with no contact, then full team practices. They are looking at first week of August for games, but letting everyone know it's subject to change. I really like how they said they understand people might be planning vacations or afraid of returning, and that if you don't participate it won't affect your placement or playing time next year.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Our club just sent a note last night opening up the fields for unscheduled use. Must maintain distance, use your own ball, no pinnies, plenty of spacing, no more than 4 people with a coach/trainer/parent.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I started watching these guys last year and really enjoyed it. Totally forgot until it popped back up on my feed.

It's legit Major League Whiffleball. These dudes have playing since they were in like 6th grade. To see where they started and how great the production value and level of play is impressive.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Just watched the entire thing. I am hooked.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:26 pm Just watched the entire thing. I am hooked.
I can't believe I'm saying it, but I watched the entire video and enjoyed it. The video replays were phenomenal. The mic'd up bit was funny, too.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That looks like a hell of a lot of fun.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:29 am
elflaco2 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:16 pm
ENCL doesn't follow NJYS protocols? where are they playing? biggest hurdle is the lack of field access for MNJYS or EDP -- travel cancelled until the fall, EDP has plans to play in July -- but all dependent on field access..
Got an email with some more information and specific details to follow. Thanks to WLU for the ECNL guidelines, because I think the club is following that. Phase 1 is virtual practices led by a coach, kids practice at home. 2 90 minute sessions a week, plus a 60 minute tactical training. That have been doing quizes through Kahoot. It seems like a lot of videos where they have a multiple choice of why it was/wasn't offside, various rules and decision making.

They slowly move to small group sessions with no contact, then full team practices. They are looking at first week of August for games, but letting everyone know it's subject to change. I really like how they said they understand people might be planning vacations or afraid of returning, and that if you don't participate it won't affect your placement or playing time next year.
monday we received note from CSA about returning to play after 6/22 -- phased approach.

the club i run is meeting w the mayor to discuss opening up the town fields to youth sports -- we've taken what EDP is doing and gotten input from our training partners, what NJYS has communicated (but none of the leagues we play Travel of intercounty in have put anything worthwhile out)..
phased approach
March through May
Phase 1 - Individual remote training sessions - we had these through memorial day weekend.
July - August (Dates TBD)
Phase 2 - Small group technical training
Phase 3 - Team training (avoid contact)
Phase 4 - Team training & controlled scrimmages (some contact)
September (TBD dependent on schools, leagues and state organization)
Phase 5 - All clear - Back to normal play

question for the board tonight is whether we are going to charge kids to participate in summer sessions.. unlikely to see any scrimmages until August (all dependent on gov comms) Baseball will be played.. but no travel for anyone -- so all local --
we are non-profit and made the move to trainer led teams (still need a parent manager to handle money, scheduling) - already communicated that players not returning would receive a refund and those returning would receive a credit towards fall season.
haven't had any public zoom sessions -- although once we settle on summer format, will email it out, post it and host a zoom for questions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Our club announced a 6/22 "return to play" date also. Though provided no details and said a schedule and protocols would be forthcoming the week prior. Did not specify fees for summer training. Claimed they want to proceed with Super Y? Also said they have yet to receive refunds from the leagues and other organizations that were paid in the spring so no refunds for players yet. Offered to roll over to summer and/or fall fees.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Same here and now I'm torn between our 3 months of quarantine versus my deep desire to not lose my softball season.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

rass wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:03 am Our club announced a 6/22 "return to play" date also. Though provided no details and said a schedule and protocols would be forthcoming the week prior. Did not specify fees for summer training. Claimed they want to proceed with Super Y? Also said they have yet to receive refunds from the leagues and other organizations that were paid in the spring so no refunds for players yet. Offered to roll over to summer and/or fall fees.
the intercounty and travel leagues either provided refunds (if asked for) or credits towards Fall season. the fees to the state (for insurance purposes) aren't usually collected until the first week of the season -- but even so.. those two run about $5000 for our 20 teams
CSA hasn't brought up the topic -- and for the amount they charge they better be coming up with some sort of credit or discounts in the fall.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:26 pm Just watched the entire thing. I am hooked.
I mean, there at least 5 or 6 full seasons if you want to feel old. Like I said, the evolution of the production is pretty amazing to watch.

They mention this in the intro, but they usually play at The Meadow, which is a much bigger and nicer field. No access due to Covid. I actually kind of like this field more because it's so freaking hard to hit dingers at the bigger field.

We had a patch of grass at a mini-park near our house in Baltimore when I went to college. We had a similar set-up, but instead of that PVC strike zone, ours was the back of plastic chair. Epic games, with beers and BBQ once the weather turned in April/May. Good fucking times.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

so the combined travel and rec boards met w the mayor last night.. funny, once he came on all drinks went out of sight.
on the one hand he doesn't think we should do anything -- on the other, he needs us to provide some outlet as no schools, no town pool, no summer camps.
Lots of work to do -- the state guidelines help, but many questions around liability and how to take action on positive cases, what to do if people don't follow directions,and do we really expect kids to stay apart.. will need to have not just hte training company, but board members (or coaches) present to enforce.
all sounds doable.. but its a small town -- and majority of folks prefer to do their arguing online and not say 'mean' things to their neighbors/friends - heck i've had meetings where half the board thought some coach was a complete asshole but once in the room they kissed his ass and voted for him (i'll move to the rants)

anyway -- we have about a week to put together a proposal for the town to review - they are pushing for youth baseball and soccer to use the fields (not that many here) before any adult leagues or for profit clubs - biggest downside besides the ethical questions is we need to rent portapotties and have them cleaned daily as the town will not open the bathrooms at the fields. after that, all gravy.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:26 am so the combined travel and rec boards met w the mayor last night.. funny, once he came on all drinks went out of sight.
on the one hand he doesn't think we should do anything -- on the other, he needs us to provide some outlet as no schools, no town pool, no summer camps.
Lots of work to do -- the state guidelines help, but many questions around liability and how to take action on positive cases, what to do if people don't follow directions,and do we really expect kids to stay apart.. will need to have not just hte training company, but board members (or coaches) present to enforce.
all sounds doable.. but its a small town -- and majority of folks prefer to do their arguing online and not say 'mean' things to their neighbors/friends - heck i've had meetings where half the board thought some coach was a complete asshole but once in the room they kissed his ass and voted for him (i'll move to the rants)

anyway -- we have about a week to put together a proposal for the town to review - they are pushing for youth baseball and soccer to use the fields (not that many here) before any adult leagues or for profit clubs - biggest downside besides the ethical questions is we need to rent portapotties and have them cleaned daily as the town will not open the bathrooms at the fields. after that, all gravy.
Fields are now open. But not for organized practices. Coaches can put small groups together, use there own ball,, no pinnies, and keep space. Well my son and I went up to kick a ball around. Our head of rec coaching (and now one of the girl ECLN coaches) has 4 girls working together with shared balls. 6 high school girl teammates running drills together in small space, and 20 older high school/young college kids standing on top of each other basically doing everything but scrimmaging (mostly just screwing around and wrestling). There were a bunch of individuals and pairs just fitness and skills by themselves in a smaller space, but it is clear there is no shot that our club, county, etc will be able to control this.

That being said, my men's organized pickup game is not yet allowed to go and my company team 7 a side outdoor league (MD) was on hold for at least 2 more weeks (but expectation is beyond that).
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

and that.. is the concern.
at least w the paid trainers - we know they'll be more likely to do the right thing. already have volunteers to monitor -- earlier in this whole thing we had one coach, girls u10.. running sessions in his backyard - was pretty pissed off when i called him to let him know he couldn't' do that.. he is the typical parent coach we don't want... bigger issues remain the bathrooms.. and several board members want parents to sign agreements they and their kids will comply or else they get kicked out for the day, second time, they lose their slot in the camps.

i've ran several sessions over the last two months -- four to six kids - mostly fitness, individual dribbling, passing, juggling, ball control. at the end i'll put on the gloves and have them take shots from the 18. likely start up again next weekend - last week flaco jr took a fall while out running - ended up w a 6inch piece of rebar stuck in his knee. lots of stitches and pain but nothing major.. stitches come out monday and so far expected full recovery and back on the pitch/trail next weeekend.

men's league is a non starter, although there was a pick up last weekend -- no pinnies ... and indoor pickup is still closed..
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

You can adopt a minor league baseball player. For a cup of coffee (from starbucks) a day you could help a minor league baseball player. Now if we cna get Sarah McLachlan to make a video.
https://adoptaminorleaguer.com/
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wouldn't call myself a huge MLB draft head, but the fact that I didn't know it was tonight until I saw Klaw's column today is likely a bad sign.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Boxing's back!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Tigers are likely taking a guy #1 overall whose name sounds like a CPA, so that'll go well I'm sure.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, profile wise its very weird to see a 1B projected to go first and a college 2B in the top 10, especially when the Wilson kid reads like a far better overall choice. (I assume Baltimore will pick him then fail to come to terms in order to help out the 2020 bottom line.)
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

La Liga is back

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hoooooooooooooooooooooly shit ...

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:53 pm Hoooooooooooooooooooooly shit ...

What? No! Is he gonna say he was hacked?
Last edited by tennbengal on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The kid was drafted like *right* on his ranking too.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:16 pm The kid was drafted like *right* on his ranking too.
That’s one of the worst tweets given context I have ever seen.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I don’t get it. Can I please be clued in?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Howard is black. Nightingale intimating that the cubs took him because he’s black because...waves hand at everything. Which is a shitty notion to verbalize. To say the least. He was a legit prospect taken where he should have been. And not because he is black and the cubs are being performatively woke.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Rays took a preschooler.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:04 pm Howard is black. Nightingale intimating that the cubs took him because he’s black because...waves hand at everything. Which is a shitty notion to verbalize. To say the least. He was a legit prospect taken where he should have been. And not because he is black and the cubs are being performatively woke.
Well that’s stupid.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:32 pm The Rays took a preschooler.
Smart. BecAuse we are looking at about 15 years before fans come back to baseball.

Seriously this is a clusterfuck. I hate both owners and players at this point.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:04 pm Howard is black. Nightingale intimating that the cubs took him because he’s black because...waves hand at everything. Which is a shitty notion to verbalize. To say the least. He was a legit prospect taken where he should have been. And not because he is black and the cubs are being performatively woke.
Seriously?

What an idiot.

Also "Hallow" words.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Basketball players: touching each other whole game long.

Football players: tough each other for a few seconds every few moments.

Soccer players: touch each other very little.

Baseball players: touch each other at plays at bases which happen about 15 percent of the time.

And yet: baseball owners are also the worst.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

In case anyone else missed it:

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:40 pm

Have you ever watched a soccer game?
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I thought AB had turned a corner with the sport when he picked up that NHL swampcrash question.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:00 am
A_B wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:40 pm

Have you ever watched a soccer game?
IN my defense I'm very stupid.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:33 pmSmart. BecAuse we are looking at about 15 years before fans come back to baseball.

Seriously this is a clusterfuck. I hate both owners and players at this point.
There was an agreement made 3 months ago the owners are trying to go back on. There's no both sides here.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I would not fuck this guy.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:25 am In case anyone else missed it:

This was why I thought about and asked about Brainbo by the way.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!