Could Be the Best _______ Ever

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Could Be the Best _______ Ever

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:30 am A guy who was really, really good but who wouldn't be in the conversation for "best ever" but whose career was cut short was Billy Sims.
Good one!

As a former Orioles fan, I remember being REALLY excited about Ben McDonald. He didn't have a bad career, per se, but the hype on him was pretty intense. And if I recall, he came in really hot... First game was lock down and he went on a 3 or 4 game tear.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Anyone remember this dude?

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:58 am
Pruitt wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:30 am A guy who was really, really good but who wouldn't be in the conversation for "best ever" but whose career was cut short was Billy Sims.
Good one!

As a former Orioles fan, I remember being REALLY excited about Ben McDonald. He didn't have a bad career, per se, but the hype on him was pretty intense. And if I recall, he came in really hot... First game was lock down and he went on a 3 or 4 game tear.
Oh shit, this reminded me of Todd Van Poppel.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Joe K wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:38 amThe first time I saw a casual friend do coke in front of me he decided a bit later in the evening that it was a good idea to blast me with a ...lo...a...d...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:04 am
Good one!

Alright. Enough about my great baseball card investments.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Lawrence Phillips and Ricky Williams
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

When Wes Welker left, I thought it was okay because it would give more opportunities for Aaron Hernandez to shine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:04 am
Good one!

And it reminded me of Gregg Jeffries.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Joe K wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:38 am
Giff wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:30 am I've only been around it a small handful of times and it's made me very uncomfortable.
The first time I saw a casual friend do coke in front of me he decided a bit later in the evening that it was a good idea to blast me with a fire extinguisher from close range. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the drug.
Who the hell are you guys hanging out with
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

If I had more money in my 20's, my coke habit would have been 10x worse. I became friends with a girl who was on my bowling team who had money and loved to do bumps. We hung out A LOT. Lots of free blow. I wouldn't touch it now because I'm sure my heart would explode, but it was a lot of fun back in the day. I don't miss grinding my teeth.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Part having my sister be an addict who lost her battle with it a year ago, and part seeing Len Bias when I was at an age to appreciate it, the only unlawful chemical activity I ever did was drink underage. I've never even tried weed.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bfj wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:25 pm If I had more money in my 20's, my coke habit would have been 10x worse. I became friends with a girl who was on my bowling team who had money and loved to do bumps. We hung out A LOT. Lots of free blow. I wouldn't touch it now because I'm sure my heart would explode, but it was a lot of fun back in the day. I don't miss grinding my teeth.
We did a bit of it back in the day.

It was okay, but really is the stupidest thing. The minute you finish one line, you think about the next one.

Haven't even seen it in 20 years.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:22 pm I remember the Gretzky hype from the time he was in junior hockey.

Similarly, Lemieux, Lafontaine and Lindros were hyped to the skies before the ever hit the NHL. (I am old...)
Mario Lemieux was called "the next Gretzky". Sidney Crosby was called "the next Mario and the next Gretzky".
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:44 pm
Pruitt wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:22 pm I remember the Gretzky hype from the time he was in junior hockey.

Similarly, Lemieux, Lafontaine and Lindros were hyped to the skies before the ever hit the NHL. (I am old...)
Mario Lemieux was called "the next Gretzky". Sidney Crosby was called "the next Mario and the next Gretzky".
Was Jaromir Jagr in there as well? Or was he just the next Mario before Crosby?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

If you can bring up Brien Taylor I can bring up Sam Horn. Electric for a half summer. Pedro a whole lot closer. Not many I'd rather have on the hill in his prime to win a game. Brady. Bird. Deion. Bo? Barry... Sanders so I guess the answer is no.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:56 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:44 pm

Was Jaromir Jagr in there as well? Or was he just the next Mario before Crosby?
I was hearing about Mario and Crosby (and McDavid and Mathews) while they were kids tearing up the junior leagues. I didn't hear anything about Jagr before he got to the NHL, probably because we didn't have social media telling us about young Euro players back in those days.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

By the way, has anybody mentioned Freddie Adu? He was tipped to become the best American player ever.
Diamond
Maude Lebowski

Post by Diamond »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:53 pm
Diamond wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:49 pmThe hype when Barry Bonds first came up was really intense.
Was it? Those would have been my earliest baseball years but I thought he was a legit top prospect and all, but he didn't go #1 and that was as a college player.
I'm working a gas station summer of '86 and there were frequent radio stories on the Arizona St prospect crushing for the Pirates. For sure the hazy mists of time are making it more than it was, but he deserves a mention on the topic.