Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: Random Politics

Post by Joe K »

Good riddance to King but it’s still pretty important that the Democratic candidate wins this seat in November because they guy who beat King last night also sucks. Feenstra basically said he’d be more effecting than King in helping Trump build the border wall.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yes, that's an extremely right-wing district so that's unlikely, but still Debbie Downer...driving a Nazi out of the House of Representatives is a win.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:15 am Yes, that's an extremely right-wing district so that's unlikely, but still Debbie Downer...driving a Nazi out of the House of Representatives is a win.
I think I'd rather have a slightly nuttier freshman rep there than one with seniority, (noting that he was stripped of his chairs).
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Being pro-wall is (unfortunately) hardly outside of the mainstream of GOP politics in the year of our lord 2020.

Being an unrepentant white supremacist is (for the moment) so it's hard to look at this as anything other than a rebuke of white nationalism, even if it's just one very right-wing district in Iowa. Maybe it will send a message to the rest of the GOP as well.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It's great that Steve King lost, but apparently the guy who beat him in the primary is another Tea Party Trumper, so not out of the woods, just yet.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:00 am Being pro-wall is (unfortunately) hardly outside of the mainstream of GOP politics in the year of our lord 2020.

Being an unrepentant white supremacist is (for the moment) so it's hard to look at this as anything other than a rebuke of white nationalism, even if it's just one very right-wing district in Iowa. Maybe it will send a message to the rest of the GOP as well.
IDK if it’s necessarily a rebuke of white nationalism. Apparently Feenstra did not actually criticize King’s racism as part of his campaign. Instead he argued that because King was stripped of his committee chairs he didn’t have enough sway to be an effective Trump ally.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:52 am Steve King loses his primary.
HO.LEE.Fuck!!!!! That makes me so happy. He was the worst person in Congress 12 years ago, until even worse people rose in power, like McConnell. Please tell me the guy who beat him isn't even worse.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Joe K wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:10 am
brian wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:00 am Being pro-wall is (unfortunately) hardly outside of the mainstream of GOP politics in the year of our lord 2020.

IDK if it’s necessarily a rebuke of white nationalism. Apparently Feenstra did not actually criticize King’s racism as part of his campaign. Instead he argued that because King was stripped of his committee chairs he didn’t have enough sway to be an effective Trump ally.
Even with his committees he only won by 3.5 points over the Dem in 2018 in a Trump +26 district. The people there were just finally tired of his act for a variety of reasons.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I am now a registered Republican.

(The primary is coming up, and whoever wins the Republican primary for governor will be the governor. So now I get to vote for governor in my state.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You hate to see it.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:56 am You hate to see it.

Good thing Michael Cohen was released from prison.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Governor of West Virginia on bringing the RNC there:

Does anyone want to ask him why exactly Obama wouldn't be welcome?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

He's black.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

It's not really better...

Meet the far-right extremist who beat Steve King
Trump and Feenstra share anti-immigrant views. On his campaign website, Feenstra notes that he "agrees with President Trump that we must secure our southern border." He highlights his legislative record of backing a ban on "sanctuary cities" in Iowa and promises to "support building the wall while opposing Nancy Pelosi's and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's reckless open borders policies that are endangering Iowa communities."
He highlighted the endorsement of religious right activist Bob Vander Plaats, head of an organization that once argued black children were better off under slavery because "sadly a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African-American baby born after the election of the USA's first African-American President."
Feenstra also boasts of his "A" rating from the National Rifle Association and his record of defending "our God-given liberties, like our 2nd Amendment." He notes that he backed the "largest expansion of 2nd Amendment rights in Iowa history,' the state's 'Stand Your Ground' law, and a 'constitutional carry bill,'" letting people carry firearms with no permit.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, hopefully people don't use this as an excuse to forget about Scholten (sp?) now.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:08 pm The Governor of West Virginia on bringing the RNC there:

Does anyone want to ask him why exactly Obama wouldn't be welcome?
It really says something about a state when the Governor dresses like that. Looks like he left the hanger in the suit jacket.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This is the person who should be running against Moscow Mitch, not Amy McGrath.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'm voting for him in the primary, but it's not going to matter. Daughter has been working with his campaign.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:09 am I'm voting for him in the primary, but it's not going to matter. Daughter has been working with his campaign.
We've fully radicalized you. You're officially Antifa now.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:44 am
A_B wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:09 am I'm voting for him in the primary, but it's not going to matter. Daughter has been working with his campaign.
Sorry, AB, you gotta start showing up at our highly-organized meetings.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Should we tell him about org-jay oros-say?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:28 pm It's not really better...

Meet the far-right extremist who beat Steve King
Trump and Feenstra share anti-immigrant views. On his campaign website, Feenstra notes that he "agrees with President Trump that we must secure our southern border." He highlights his legislative record of backing a ban on "sanctuary cities" in Iowa and promises to "support building the wall while opposing Nancy Pelosi's and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's reckless open borders policies that are endangering Iowa communities."
He highlighted the endorsement of religious right activist Bob Vander Plaats, head of an organization that once argued black children were better off under slavery because "sadly a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African-American baby born after the election of the USA's first African-American President."
Feenstra also boasts of his "A" rating from the National Rifle Association and his record of defending "our God-given liberties, like our 2nd Amendment." He notes that he backed the "largest expansion of 2nd Amendment rights in Iowa history,' the state's 'Stand Your Ground' law, and a 'constitutional carry bill,'" letting people carry firearms with no permit.
Yeah, the bigger issue, I forgot that the GOP stripped King of all of his committee positions and they made him an outcast. He carries no power in DC, and it would have been a lot easier for the Dem to beat King than just about any new candidate. It looks like a very deep red district, so probably better if King won the primary, but fuck it, I'm still going to savor his loss.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Let's not act like I was some kind of far right dude before. I've been a registered Democrat since I was 18. I always lean left on social issues. I've never liked Donald Trump. I just didn't like Hillary, either, and god knows I heard about it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Just don't defend Biden on anything and you're good!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:30 am
Let's not act like I was some kind of far right dude before. I've been a registered Democrat since I was 18. I always lean left on social issues. I've never liked Donald Trump. I just didn't like Hillary, either, and god knows I heard about it.
Nazi.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:30 am
Hey, I'm just having some fun man. I personally for certain don't have an issue with a broad range of opinion as long as those opinions are to the left of "we should round up all Latinos into interment camps and drive tanks over black people in the streets".
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

#LadyGraham is trending on Twitter.

👀
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:28 am #LadyGraham is trending on Twitter.

👀
Ridiculous, slanderous and hilarious.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:36 am

👀
I fear the Lady G rumors are just too good to be true.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:16 am
Pruitt wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:36 am

👀
I fear the Lady G rumors are just too good to be true.
Oh, I think it's true. I don't know about the Lady G thing specifically if that's what you mean, but he's absolutely gay and closeted and probably frequents hookers. In fact if you're a closeted GOP politician you pretty much have to because as much as paying for sex you're paying for silence.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I understand that they have to check the voting rolls, but it seemed a little odd to put my anonymous school budget ballot inside an envelope with my name and address on it.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Hell in a handbasket...

Georgia Republican and QAnon believer favored to win U.S. House seat
“I’m very excited about that now there’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to take this global cabal of Satan-worshipping pedophiles out, and I think we have the president to do it,” she said.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Colorado people. Who’s stronger vs Gardner, Hick or Romanoff?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

P.D.X. wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:04 pm Colorado people. Who’s stronger vs Gardner, Hick or Romanoff?
Hick (unfortunately) and I don't think it's close. I wish he (Hick) had admitted to/dealt with his ethics case...I have no idea what his legal team was thinking...because it's basically written Gardner's first ad against him.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

In a VA Republican primary in VA the Republican who officiated a gay wedding of two of his staffers lost to the former athletics department administrator from Liberty U. It was a drive up primary in Lynchburg for a district that runs from Northern VA to NC.

The losing Republican played the corner fraud card. The winner said something like "Voter Fraud is what losers say.".
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:49 am In a VA Republican primary in VA the Republican who officiated a gay wedding of two of his staffers lost to the former athletics department administrator from Liberty U. It was a drive up primary in Lynchburg for a district that runs from Northern VA to NC.

The losing Republican played the corner fraud card. The winner said something like "Voter Fraud is what losers say.".
Who wants to take bets that if this primary winner loses the general election "Voter Fraud is what losers say" won't be his response?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The brain power of the current GOP congressional delegation:

good thing we don't have anything going on like a pandemic, civil unrest in the streets, or the highest unemployment rate since the depression.