Culinary Hot Takes

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Culinary Hot Takes

Post by A_B »

John Kleber is a fucking hack.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:12 amThe BLT is a great sandwich. But sometimes I will use kale instead of lettuce. And ham or even turkey in place of the bacon. Tomatoes are right out, go straight for the avocado.
In just 28 words post-praising the BLT, you subbed out all three components of the BLT.

"Give me a BLT, but make it a turkey, avocado and kale, thank you."
Last edited by mister d on Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:31 am
A_B wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:12 amThe BLT is a great sandwich. But sometimes I will use kale instead of lettuce. And ham or even turkey in place of the bacon. Tomatoes are right out, go straight for the avocado.
In just 28 words post-praising the BLT, you subbed out all three components of the BLT.
Did you see what I was quoting?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

As much as I enjoy giving AB shit, the sandwich in that picture appears to be neither hot nor brown.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd argue yours took it far beyond slight alterations. AB = Activist of Breadfoods.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:13 am
mister d wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:08 am The bread almost always holds it back here. No one makes cuban bread, they just treat this like a fucking panini.
When I was an undergrad in Gainesville, two guys from Tampa opened a small Cuban restaurant (just north of Burrito Bros., and in the same building as Maui Teriyaki, phxgators). They drove fresh Cuban bread up from Tampa every day (at least a 2 hour drive each way). Needless to say, I don't think they were in business very long.
I forgot all about that place! Yeah, only ate there a time or two before they closed. Also - yes, 13 is the correct answer.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:32 am As much as I enjoy giving AB shit, the sandwich in that picture appears to be neither hot nor brown.
A hot brown sounds like an urban dictionary-worthy sex act, so pass. Oh wait, it actually is.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:13 am
I should clarify my most eaten, fried chicken is my #1 favorite forever, but the Rachel wouldn't be there if I didn't also love it so your point stands. I like it over a standard Reuben because its just as good or better cold and, if cold, cole slaw over sauerkraut provides a textural advantage. (And, like a dork, I really do love turkey.)
I also love turkey, but a good Rueben blows the best Rachel away.

I think my most eaten sandwich is either a variant of the meatball sub or a buffalo chicken sandwich as I alter leftovers of meatballs and chicken fingers as my children like to eat the same 3-4 things in rotation.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I'm loving how my post in the hot takes thread is garnering near universal approval. This must be what Bill Simmons feels like when he writes things.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:39 pm I'm loving how my post in the hot takes thread is garnering near universal approval. This must be what Bill Simmons feels like when he writes things.
Everyone is secretly scoffing that you can't really be getting cuban bread and you just like paninis.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Kind of off the subject, a couple years ago we received a panini press grill as a gift, and thought we'd rarely use it. But in actuality, most meat leftovers end up a couple days later as part of a panini sandwich. We go through a lot of fresh mozzarella in the paninis, too.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:23 am And, american cheese is the worst cheese.
"American cheese" (or "Processed Cheese") is an abomination.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:49 pm Kind of off the subject, a couple years ago we received a panini press grill as a gift, and thought we'd rarely use it. But in actuality, most meat leftovers end up a couple days later as part of a panini sandwich. We go through a lot of fresh mozzarella in the paninis, too.
My son moved into his first apartment a year ago - he is using the panini press grill all the time.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

17 all day everyday.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

duff wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:35 pm 17 all day everyday.
They are the perfect sandwich.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:39 pm I'm loving how my post in the hot takes thread is garnering near universal approval. This must be what Bill Simmons feels like when he writes things.
My wife gifted me a brick for Christmas for sandwich making.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:01 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:23 am And, american cheese is the worst cheese.
Is this the same as cheddar? Or have we now moved to the realm of colors to describe taste (white and yellow)?

And ill take the meatball sub with provolone. Is that bad too?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:18 pm
Is this the same as cheddar? Or have we now moved to the realm of colors to describe taste (white and yellow)?

No, American is not the same as Cheddar. Nowhere close.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:21 pm

I admit I used to make this mistake as well.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:18 pmAnd ill take the meatball sub with provolone. Is that bad too?
I’d argue it’s more right than mozzarella.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:21 pm

In my mind, "American Cheese" is like kraft singles - the type of cheese that never, ever molds.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

or melts
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

What passes as "cheddar" is pretty sad though. I am very much a cheddar elitist.

and a Hot Take...a good green chile cheeseburger rockets to the top of any sandwich list.(and for those in NM, or planning to visit, I give you the cheeseburger trail.)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:47 pm
and a Hot Take...a good green chile cheeseburger rockets to the top of any sandwich list.(and for those in NM, or planning to visit, I give you the cheeseburger trail.)
Damn..now I really want a green chile cheeseburger.

The only place beyond Blakes that I've been to on that list is El Parasol in Espanola (which was really good).
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:59 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:18 pmAnd ill take the meatball sub with provolone. Is that bad too?
I’d argue it’s more right than mozzarella.
I think provolone is good on meatball hoagies and cheeseteaks because the sharpness of the prov counterbalances the meatiness. It is NOT the correct cheese for chicken parm (I learned that the hard way a few weeks back) because of its punch. Mozz is the way to go there.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:47 pm What passes as "cheddar" is pretty sad though. I am very much a cheddar elitist.

Some of you may remember that my mother will be having heart surgery in New Mexico at some point (probably July), and I will be rolling the Covid-loaded dice and traveling to be there with her. One positive thing about the trip - I will be eating at least one green chile cheeseburger!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My namesake at least once.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Giff wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:41 pm My namesake at least once.
I went there once but it was just OK.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rush2112 wrote: What passes as "cheddar" is pretty sad though. I am very much a cheddar elitist.

Sparky's! ...and I've tried exactly none of the others except Blake's.
sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:49 pmSome of you may remember that my mother will be having heart surgery in New Mexico at some point (probably July), and I will be rolling the Covid-loaded dice and traveling to be there with her. One positive thing about the trip - I will be eating at least one green chile cheeseburger!
Depending upon the part of the month, I'll either be in quarantine or on R&R. Fingers crossed it's the latter.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

How close to the green chile experience do the Hatch cans get? I assume "not very", but they're pretty solid for a canned food, especially in queso.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:07 pm
Rush2112 wrote: What passes as "cheddar" is pretty sad though. I am very much a cheddar elitist.

Sparky's! ...and I've tried exactly none of the others except Blake's.
sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:49 pmSome of you may remember that my mother will be having heart surgery in New Mexico at some point (probably July), and I will be rolling the Covid-loaded dice and traveling to be there with her. One positive thing about the trip - I will be eating at least one green chile cheeseburger!
Depending upon the part of the month, I'll either be in quarantine or on R&R. Fingers crossed it's the latter.
I recall we had decent green chile cheeseburgers that time we met up in Corrales.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:57 pm How close to the green chile experience do the Hatch cans get? I assume "not very", but they're pretty solid for a canned food, especially in queso.
They're ok. Frozen is much much better though, and fresh roasted and self peeled is much better than frozen. John probably has slightly easier access, but remind me come fall and I can send you of the annual mailings of chile that I have to make now that friends and family have gotten a taste of the product.

We went camping in Pagosa last weekend and I had to run into the grocery, absolutely loaded with Hatch (they're 70 miles?? from Chama NM) we see Hatch in some select places around Denver/Boulder but it's usually the Mark Schlereth bullshit.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Its ridiculous how expensive it is...but damn, Copper River Salmon is so good.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:12 pm We went camping in Pagosa last weekend and I had to run into the grocery, absolutely loaded with Hatch (they're 70 miles?? from Chama NM) we see Hatch in some select places around Denver/Boulder but it's usually the Mark Schlereth bullshit.
They weren't the Pueblo chiles? I have friends from Colorado who swear that the Pueblo chiles are better then the Hatch.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:48 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:12 pm We went camping in Pagosa last weekend and I had to run into the grocery, absolutely loaded with Hatch (they're 70 miles?? from Chama NM) we see Hatch in some select places around Denver/Boulder but it's usually the Mark Schlereth bullshit.
They weren't the Pueblo chiles? I have friends from Colorado who swear that the Pueblo chiles are better then the Hatch.
You’re going to give Rush a burst blood vessel in his brain.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

They were last year's Hatch. Bueno brand. Certified NM grown.

Of course, the people from Colorado say that Pueblo is better than Hatch chiles, but they're also adding god damn pork to their deficient chile.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Not gonna lie: I am looking forward to trying the new Shaq-a-roni pizza at Papa John's.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Well that fucking link just cost me $13 because I saw an article there about Old Bay hot sauce which seems like something my kid who has a birthday in two weeks would love...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:38 pm Well that fucking link just cost me $13 because I saw an article there about Old Bay hot sauce which seems like something my kid who has a birthday in two weeks would love...
Send me your address and I’ll have a pizza delivered on her birthday.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Thanks man. She's been maintaining a list of fast food joints she wants to hit for drive-thru that day. For some reason.