Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:42 am
rass wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:25 am In case anyone else missed it:

This was why I thought about and asked about Brainbo by the way.
She banged Bob Nightengale, too?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:05 am
A_B wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:33 pmSmart. BecAuse we are looking at about 15 years before fans come back to baseball.

Seriously this is a clusterfuck. I hate both owners and players at this point.
There was an agreement made 3 months ago the owners are trying to go back on. There's no both sides here.
It's not that simple. Contracts are being renegotiated throughout the economy to reflect the changed conditions of the months-long-with-no-end-in-sight pandemic. We have an agreement with our landlord, too, but when everything went to shit they gave us rent concessions because they realized that our income was going to be way down.

Maybe the players should deal, and maybe they shouldn't. But "we already have a contract" is only marginally important.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:03 am
brian wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:42 am
rass wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:25 am In case anyone else missed it:

This was why I thought about and asked about Brainbo by the way.
I thought so until you put it that way. That would be an insanely random thing for me to have imagined though.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:12 am

I thought so until you put it that way. That would be an insanely random thing for me to have imagined though.
[/quote]

I remember her saying she slept with a SportsCenter host, and people thought it was Scott van Pelt. I don't know anything about this Nightengale fella.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:04 amMaybe the players should deal, and maybe they shouldn't. But "we already have a contract" is only marginally important.
"We already have a modified contract" ... they agreed to pro-rate in March and now the owners are trying to renege. Facts and framing both matter here.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:17 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:04 amMaybe the players should deal, and maybe they shouldn't. But "we already have a contract" is only marginally important.
"We already have a modified contract" ... they agreed to pro-rate in March and now the owners are trying to renege. Facts and framing both matter here.
Yes, and when they negotiated that I don't think everyone knew how the pandemic was going to play out.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, I'm with Delaware, here. They already modified the contract to account for a Covid-19-affected season. Now, the owners want another dig at it. The owners are still going to get their huge capital gain when they eventually sell. The players and their short careers are more affected, here, not the opposite.
Last edited by sancarlos on Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

See this is where having the "old Swamp" back would be nice because I could have sworn it was a USA Today writer and she copped that it was Nightengale.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm remembering the Sportscenter connection, too...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Well, I'm just glad it sounds like she's healthy.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:24 am I'm remembering the Sportscenter connection, too...
Not a good sign when my recollection is the same as Grandpa Abe's.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:22 am
Yeah, I'm with Delaware, here. They already modified the contract to account for a Covid-19-affected season. Now, the owners want another dig at it. The owners are still going to get their huge capital gain when they eventually sell. The players and their short careers are more affected, here, not the opposite.
I'm not thrilled with either side. I'm just pointing out that "we have a contract" isn't the end of the discussion, because as it turns out, contracts are not nearly as sacrosanct in the business world as we might expect. Renegotiations, and even re-renegotiations, happen all the time.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:31 am
sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:24 am I'm remembering the Sportscenter connection, too...
Not a good sign when my recollection is the same as Grandpa Abe's.
I remember something of that as well. But has Bob Nightengale been on SportsCenter? He's a local Chicago hack, famous in Chicago Sports Twitter for being wrong about everything.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

She's prob not gonna be delighted if someone asks for clarification of this on her Facebook page...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:32 amI'm not thrilled with either side. I'm just pointing out that "we have a contract" isn't the end of the discussion, because as it turns out, contracts are not nearly as sacrosanct in the business world as we might expect. Renegotiations, and even re-renegotiations, happen all the time.
That's fine, but how many times can the owners go back (without opening their books) before you remove the blame from the players?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:48 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:32 amI'm not thrilled with either side. I'm just pointing out that "we have a contract" isn't the end of the discussion, because as it turns out, contracts are not nearly as sacrosanct in the business world as we might expect. Renegotiations, and even re-renegotiations, happen all the time.
That's fine, but how many times can the owners go back (without opening their books) before you remove the blame from the players?
Like most of these things, the answer is "it depends."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:43 am She's prob not gonna be delighted if someone asks for clarification of this on her Facebook page...
I thought it was someone other than those mentioned but I'm not going to get up and try to figure it out.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Not for nothing, but in the "which sports are more likely to spread COVID all up in this shit," touching isn't as big a deal as proximity.

Soccer - Probably less bad as others, but on set pieces and where there is closer marking (final 3rd of the field), you're gonna have a lot of bad situations.

Football - Pretty bad. Huddles are bad situation, even the line of scrimmage, you have guys huffing and puffing in close proximity. And, of course, any kind of dogpile is a complete shitshow.

Basketball - Right up there as the worst. Unless you play an incredibly soft zone D, guys are up in each other's shit pretty much the entire game.

Hockey - samesies... All up in each other's space, especially on the numerous times you're doing faceoffs. Not to mention checking, sitting on the bench. And those guys are CONSTANTLY expectorating. (I've always wondered why that's such a thing in hockey. It's pretty gross.)

Baseball - I actually think it's the safest on this front. Other than catcher/hitter, and when a guy is being held at first... You are all outdoors, everyone is more than adequately spaced out. You have a decent amount of room on the bench, if you want to take advantage.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ban the shift during Covid!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:00 pm Not for nothing, but in the "which sports are more likely to spread COVID all up in this shit," touching isn't as big a deal as proximity.

Soccer - Probably less bad as others, but on set pieces and where there is closer marking (final 3rd of the field), you're gonna have a lot of bad situations.

Football - Pretty bad. Huddles are bad situation, even the line of scrimmage, you have guys huffing and puffing in close proximity. And, of course, any kind of dogpile is a complete shitshow.

Basketball - Right up there as the worst. Unless you play an incredibly soft zone D, guys are up in each other's shit pretty much the entire game.

Hockey - samesies... All up in each other's space, especially on the numerous times you're doing faceoffs. Not to mention checking, sitting on the bench. And those guys are CONSTANTLY expectorating. (I've always wondered why that's such a thing in hockey. It's pretty gross.)

Baseball - I actually think it's the safest on this front. Other than catcher/hitter, and when a guy is being held at first... You are all outdoors, everyone is more than adequately spaced out. You have a decent amount of room on the bench, if you want to take advantage.
NFHS (governs high school public and some private schools) has categorized sports for Covid return to play.

Higher Risk: Sports that involve close, sustained contact between participants, lack of significant
protective barriers, and high probability that respiratory particles will be transmitted between
participants.
Examples: Wrestling, football, boys lacrosse, competitive cheer, dance

Moderate Risk: Sports that involve close, sustained contact, but with protective equipment in place
that may reduce the likelihood of respiratory particle transmission between participants OR
intermittent close contact OR group sports OR sports that use equipment that can’t be cleaned
between participants.

Examples: Basketball, volleyball*, baseball*, softball*, soccer, water polo, gymnastics* (if equipment
can’t be sufficiently cleaned between competitors), ice hockey, field hockey, tennis*, swimming relays,
pole vault*, high jump*, long jump*, girls lacrosse, crew with two or more rowers in shell, 7 on 7
football
*Could potentially be considered “Lower Risk” with appropriate cleaning of equipment and use of
masks by participants

Lower Risk: Sports that can be done with social distancing or individually with no sharing of equipment
or the ability to clean the equipment between use by competitors.
Examples: Individual running events, throwing events (javelin, shot put, discus), individual swimming,
golf, weightlifting, alpine skiing, sideline cheer, single sculling, cross country running (with staggered
starts)

Lacrosse as high and basketball and ice hockey as medium makes no sense to me....but lacrosse is also already introducing full face shields for helmets to help with the respiratory particle issue.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I mean, no offense to that governing body, but I think they are just wrong about some of those team sports being moderate risk.

They are (apparently) fixating on equipment... what I said is more important... it's how much time you spend breathing (heavily) on each other.

And if you're getting into contact with surfaces, basketball is one of the worst, as you're literally sharing that one ball for long stretches of time. Maybe if you swap the ball out at almost every dead ball situation, and disinfect the ones on the sidelines.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean, take track and field and running events. If you're doing, say, an 800... Those kids are typically running in a pack rubbing elbows for laps (minutes) at a time. Even outdoors and running, you are mixing up all sorts of shared air and with sweat flying and all that.

That's at a minimum a moderately risky situation, IMO.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:00 pmSoccer - Probably less bad as others, but on set pieces and where there is closer marking (final 3rd of the field), you're gonna have a lot of bad situations.
Especially if you're playing against Sergio Ramos!!!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:23 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:00 pmSoccer - Probably less bad as others, but on set pieces and where there is closer marking (final 3rd of the field), you're gonna have a lot of bad situations.
Especially if you're playing against Sergio Ramos!!!
Whiffed on a Luis Suarez joke there, amigo.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

¡Ay carumba!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm still new.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

One could say he’s still...

cutting his teeth!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sorry to interrupt the mouth jokes, but one more thing.

Maybe this is an obvious point, but... wlu actually inadvertently brings up a good point. It's one thing for these professional leagues, who all have a team of doctors/clinicians and test constantly, and can isolate to a degree not available to most... for them to open up and play is one thing.

But for high school and college... For the most part they aren't going to have those resources. It seems really unwise (to me) to open up Fall sports right now.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

MLS resuming 7/8 with a World Cup-style tournament at a Disney somewhere. Will be great to watch a couple games everyday during the group stage. Draw:

GROUP A
Eastern Conference
Orlando City SC
Inter Miami CF
New York City FC
Philadelphia Union
Chicago Fire FC
Nashville SC

GROUP B
Western Conference
Seattle Sounders FC
FC Dallas
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
San Jose Earthquakes

GROUP C
Eastern Conference
Toronto FC
New England Revolution
Montreal Impact
D.C. United

GROUP D
Western Conference
Real Salt Lake
Sporting Kansas City
Colorado Rapids
Minnesota United FC

GROUP E
Eastern Conference
Atlanta United FC
FC Cincinnati
New York Red Bulls
Columbus Crew SC

GROUP F
Western Conference
LAFC
LA Galaxy
Houston Dynamo
Portland Timbers FC
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:54 pm MLS resuming 7/8 with a World Cup-style tournament at a Disney somewhere. Will be great to watch a couple games everyday during the group stage. D

Interesting concept, is this replacing a season? When does the MLS season normally begin and end?
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:26 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:54 pm MLS resuming 7/8 with a World Cup-style tournament at a Disney somewhere. Will be great to watch a couple games everyday during the group stage. D

Interesting concept, is this replacing a season? When does the MLS season normally begin and end?
  • Season is typically March-Oct.
  • Point accumulation during this tournament counts toward the season, which is expected to resume in abbreviated fashion after the tournament.
  • Tournament winner gets a CCL berth + cash bonus. (Replaces Supporters Shield)
  • 5 player subs allowed during the match, but limited to 3 substitution instances (halftime subs don't count against this) (I like this set up).
  • I don't know why there's one group with 6 teams.
  • Look at these bullets!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:32 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:26 pm

• Season is typically March-Oct.
  • Point accumulation during this tournament counts toward the season, which is expected to resume in abbreviated fashion after the tournament.
  • Tournament winner gets a CCL berth + cash bonus. (Replaces Supporters Shield)
  • 5 player subs allowed during the match, but limited to 3 substitution instances (halftime subs don't count against this) (I like this set up).
  • I don't know why there's one group with 6 teams.
  • Look at these bullets!
I love the idea of two extra halftime substitutions.

With 26 teams, don’t they need one group to have six? (Don’t groups need to have even numbers to avoid byes?)
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:43 pm With 26 teams, don’t they need one group to have six? (Don’t groups need to have even numbers to avoid byes?)
That's some higher-level math but makes sense.

And there could certainly be interesting tie-breaking scenarios in that one.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That halftime substitution rule doesn’t jive with what Uefa is doing right? They are doing five subs but only three total opportunities to substitute and halftime does count. So if you want to do five subs you have to do multiples at least once.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So got this for our coaches pickup game that has been on hold
There's interest in playing Phase 2 soccer on Saturday morning. We don't have a permit and I'm entirely unsure of whether this is even a good idea. So, anything you do after reading this sentence is AT YOUR OWN RISK.

How do you play socially distanced soccer? No clue. But I polled a few people and came up with this list.

Common sense health screening: Same as everywhere else. Any symptoms or been around anyone who's had symptoms or actually been exposed to someone diagnosed with COVID in the past 14 days or actually currently have COVID? DO NOT COME.
Fewer people on the field: If we play on LP2, it's 11v11. LP3, 10v10.
Limited handling of the ball: No throw-ins, just a kick in. Keepers wear gloves.
Game play distancing: Any contact is an IFK infraction, arms-length pressure only.
Quick restart for any DFK.
No spitting, avoid touching your face, hand sanitizer available on the sideline.
No headers.
To be considered:

Two or three touch max.
No corners. Gotta be creative here. Maybe the ball goes to the attacking team 10 yards from the circle AND the defending team loses a player for 60 seconds.
Take it easy out there. Much higher probability of hamstrings than anything else!
Disputed offside decided by coin toss. Defender calls heads or tails.
We'd be playing as walk-ons so there's a slim possibility that we don't actually have the field for the whole time, which is why the early start. And 26 max, if we even get that much interest. Wait list randomly assigned.

By participating you are acknowledging that an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. By attending the game voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19 and agree not to hold me, my family, my successors, or anyone other than yourself liable for any illness or injury.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:50 am

How do you play socially distanced soccer?

It's called foosball.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:53 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:50 am

How do you play socially distanced soccer?

It's called foosball.
I can't even do one backflip, let alone coordinated with three other dudes.

(Stolen and paraphrased from Mitch Hedberg)
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:51 pm Sorry to interrupt the mouth jokes, but one more thing.

Maybe this is an obvious point, but... wlu actually inadvertently brings up a good point. It's one thing for these professional leagues, who all have a team of doctors/clinicians and test constantly, and can isolate to a degree not available to most... for them to open up and play is one thing.

But for high school and college... For the most part they aren't going to have those resources. It seems really unwise (to me) to open up Fall sports right now.

Like wlulax mentions soccer teams are starting to play. They had modified youth tryouts in Atlanta a couple weeks ago and teams are starting practice this week but lots of rain. We are in the city proper so politics says no-go for city fields but suburban programs are go with modifications. Local private school field closed through July 1. Kid got a 3v3 invite for June 20ish that will supposedly go. Little league started too but season officially cancelled. Lost a lot of good players to travel teams that started earlier. High schools are full go for conditioning. Apparently they are still planning for a large kickoff at Mercedes Benz. At least here one here gives a F about your commie concerns and football will not be denied and they will drag the rest of the sports with them.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/high-school-sp ... -autopilot

https://www.ajc.com/blog/high-school-sp ... 47SWmj9vN/
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 am He lauded OAN in the same interview.
And now he’s got a player revolt on his hands...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gundy seems like the type of guy who will double down.