Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by sancarlos »

Am I a bad person for wanting Covid-19 to get really bad in red and swing states until November? I'd be in favor of positive treatments and vaccines after that.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:12 am Am I a bad person for wanting Covid-19 to get really bad in red and swing states until November? I'd be in favor of positive treatments and vaccines after that.
That's kinda the end justifying the means type of thinking. The only opposition to this I see is that POCs are the ones dying more, and they would die more there.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:12 am Am I a bad person for wanting Covid-19 to get really bad in red and swing states until November? I'd be in favor of positive treatments and vaccines after that.
Problem is (oversimplifying) all the conservatives would still go out and vote while the liberals would stay home.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:18 amThat's kinda the end justifying the means type of thinking. The only opposition to this I see is that POCs are the ones dying more, and they would die more there.
Right. If the 50,000+ deaths you're talking about were all the people actively ignoring the pandemic and choosing "their rights" over fucking masks, I wouldn't give a fuck either. But its going to be a lot of low wage workers who can't stay home and older people who are staying home but wanted to see their grandkids and shit like that.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:27 pm NonLinear, my company has groups staying at two different hotels (including a Residence Inn) in the Bay Area right now. Our client put together a two-page informational flyer on the hotel policies that each one is using ranging from employee policies about protective equipment, food, elevator use, how many rooms they will have occupied, etc.

Your situation was FUCKED up.
I'm proofing the letter my wife drafted. It's LONG.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:28 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:18 amThat's kinda the end justifying the means type of thinking. The only opposition to this I see is that POCs are the ones dying more, and they would die more there.
Right. If the 50,000+ deaths you're talking about were all the people actively ignoring the pandemic and choosing "their rights" over fucking masks, I wouldn't give a fuck either. But its going to be a lot of low wage workers who can't stay home and older people who are staying home but wanted to see their grandkids and shit like that.
I can still hope that a bunch of GOP delegates get Covid at the convention and die before Election Day though, right?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:41 am
I can still hope that a bunch of GOP delegates get Covid at the convention and die before Election Day though, right?
Yes, especially when it comes out that they were all infected by the same male prostitute who lived to tell of the depravities they requested.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'll allowed it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Yeah, Missouri isn’t a swing state but the Covid-cases here have been very disproportionately hitting low-income black communities that reliably vote Dem. The same is likely true in many other places. Mask or not, it’s a lot easier for Republicans who live in the suburbs to work from home and distance than for low-income city residents.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:32 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:27 pm NonLinear, my company has groups staying at two different hotels (including a Residence Inn) in the Bay Area right now. Our client put together a two-page informational flyer on the hotel policies that each one is using ranging from employee policies about protective equipment, food, elevator use, how many rooms they will have occupied, etc.

Many years ago, I faxed an 11-page complaint to some regional manager of Enterprise to complain. I think about three pages of it was complaint letter, but I included lots of other things, including maps of their other locations they could have sent me to when the location I was picking up at did not have a car for me despite my reservation (I ended up very late for work on my new boss's first day when they had me driven to a location that was almost 180 degrees the opposite direction from my office).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:54 pm

Many years ago, I faxed an 11-page complaint to some regional manager of Enterprise to complain. I think about three pages of it was complaint letter, but I included lots of other things, including maps of their other locations they could have sent me to when the location I was picking up at did not have a car for me despite my reservation (I ended up very late for work on my new boss's first day when they had me driven to a location that was almost 180 degrees the opposite direction from my office).
A couple years ago, coming back from our Christmas trip to New Mexico, the hotel in Tehachapi cancelled our hotel room the day we were traveling to stay there. Even though it was guaranteed and confirmed weeks before. They had no good explanation and behaved like dicks. Said they were full up, but then even said that they had a higher-end room available if I wanted to pay a bit more. You know I didn't do that. So, I wrote a raging letter to the hotel's parent company (Wyndham). Never heard a damned thing back. I had to comfort myself by hammering them on Yelp and Trip Advisor.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Long letters are a bad idea when complaining. And you guys aren't even the lawyers (though NLFC's wife may be).
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:26 pm

Long letters are a bad idea when complaining. And you guys aren't even the lawyers (though NLFC's wife may be).
I know. And I didn't care.

I had three cars over a span of eight weekdays (I had a weekend trip, so I turned the second one in on Friday afternoon and made the reservation for Monday) and felt I was getting fucked every step of the way. Dropping off the final car led to me handing back the phone with the manager at the pick-up location still on the line and holding up the paperwork, asking the employees at the drop-off location, "is this correct?" before storming off to walk seven blocks to get my car out of the shop. Being charged a full day for what was on paper about 20 minutes of using the car was the final straw. When I explained that the paperwork listed the time the rental process started and not when I actually got into the car after a wait period and being driven 15 minutes to another location, they explained "you can use the car the rest of the day" despite my response that "I don't need it, my car is ready."

I also wrote that I only wanted to hear from the regional guy and not a person from either rental location, regardless of what they were going to do for me. I had a message waiting at my office before I got there by the incompetent pick-up location manager and, after staying after work to write and fax the letter, then cooling off on a 40-minute drive home, came home to find another message from her, making me furious again.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:19 pm

A couple years ago, coming back from our Christmas trip to New Mexico, the hotel in Tehachapi cancelled our hotel room the day we were traveling to stay there. Even though it was guaranteed and confirmed weeks before. They had no good explanation and behaved like dicks. Said they were full up, but then even said that they had a higher-end room available if I wanted to pay a bit more. You know I didn't do that. So, I wrote a raging letter to the hotel's parent company (Wyndham). Never heard a damned thing back. I had to comfort myself by hammering them on Yelp and Trip Advisor.
Friend of mine in the hotel business (Oiler's wife, for any of yous that were around during the Swamp way back times), says that the bad reviews on Yelp, and Trip Advisor especially, get quick responses.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wrote a short email complaining about the inarguable lack of a sound seal between our room and the room that shared a long window with ours, a room which housed somewhere between six and one thousand midwestern college kids in the city for a college basketball tournament. We got a free room out of it and this proves I'm both nicer and get better results than you guys.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:12 pm I wrote a short email complaining about the inarguable lack of a sound seal between our room and the room that shared a long window with ours, a room which housed somewhere between six and one thousand midwestern college kids in the city for a college basketball tournament. We got a free room out of it and this proves I'm both nicer and get better results than you guys.
I ended up making money on the car-rental operation, so...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The wife is back at work (sort of) for the first time in three months today. It's just a training since they're calling back her tier of employee next week, but she's still rehabbing from her shoulder reconstruction so she doesn't have to start working again until after the Fourth of July. Gotta say it's really nice to have the house to myself in the afternoon again even just for a day.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh, I ended up "making" "something" too, if you know what I mean ; P
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:57 pm Oh, I ended up "making" "something" too, if you know what I mean ; P
Can't tell if this is in response to DSafe or Brian. Works with both.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ha. Failure to quote.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:57 pm Oh, I ended up "making" "something" too, if you know what I mean ; P
Somewhere between six and one thousand midwestern college kids more perverted?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I'm going to go play pickup hockey tonight. First non-limited group activity since this started. I really don't know how I feel about it but it's very hard to get into these skates and leagues so I feel obligated. I think since tonight is pickup I'm going to play with a cloth mask on and see how it goes. I'm not nervous by any means but I really just don't know how to reconcile my feelings about all of it.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:43 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:12 pm I wrote a short email complaining about the inarguable lack of a sound seal between our room and the room that shared a long window with ours, a room which housed somewhere between six and one thousand midwestern college kids in the city for a college basketball tournament. We got a free room out of it and this proves I'm both nicer and get better results than you guys.
1) I edited her message down... She just needed to get a lot of stuff off her chest.

2) We sent the email yesterday. A little early to say, one way or the other, what the outcome is going to be. I'd put $100 up that we get at least a free nights stay out of it. Marriott doesn't (usually) fuck around with loyal customers complaining like this. We have a loooooong history with this company.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:07 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:43 pm
1) I edited her message down... She just needed to get a lot of stuff off her chest.

2) We sent the email yesterday. A little early to say, one way or the other, what the outcome is going to be. I'd put $100 up that we get at least a free nights stay out of it. Marriott doesn't (usually) fuck around with loyal customers complaining like this. We have a loooooong history with this company.
I hope so. As I said, Wyndham didn't even acknowledge my note.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

hmmmm...wunder y ewe didnt ask me too prof the leter?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The level of abject stupidity wrt masks down here is off the charts.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:34 am I'm going to go play pickup hockey tonight. First non-limited group activity since this started. I really don't know how I feel about it but it's very hard to get into these skates and leagues so I feel obligated. I think since tonight is pickup I'm going to play with a cloth mask on and see how it goes. I'm not nervous by any means but I really just don't know how to reconcile my feelings about all of it.
Update, I played in my cloth mask the whole time. It sucked, but it was manageable. I was the only one out of 20ish that attempted it.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

This seems a big deal to me globally. Not the sexy new toy but I'm sure a lot of people worked a lot to get scientific data on what drugs actually work on this thing. Way easier for Trump to choose one and pump it up as effective. Borders on fraud. Even better that this is old pharma and governments should be able to make it widely available even in emerging markets.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:23 am Image
Definite lol there.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

It’s getting bad here. Like really bad. Franklin county, about 25 miles south of me and where ~10-15% of our work force at the plant lives, has over 750 positive cases with a population of only 31k. That’s 1 in 40 people, which makes it one of (if not the*) hottest counties in the country. Our active count at the plant has doubled in a week, and I’m afraid it might do that again this week as we’ve had a number of people start calling off with symptoms.

I had to run out and take care of some crap last weekend and would guess mask wearing was ~20% of the people I saw. I just feel for most Americans they won’t react to this shit until it hits them personally, which means we will likely have wave after wave in different hot spots all year, up until we have a vaccine. Basically exactly what Fauci and the other experts were saying from day one if we didn’t stick to extreme measures.

*ok, never mind, just top 50.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Square Rob wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:23 am It’s getting bad here. Like really bad. Franklin county, about 25 miles south of me and where ~10-15% of our work force at the plant lives, has over 750 positive cases with a population of only 31k. That’s 1 in 40 people, which makes it one of (if not the*) hottest counties in the country. Our active count at the plant has doubled in a week, and I’m afraid it might do that again this week as we’ve had a number of people start calling off with symptoms.

I had to run out and take care of some crap last weekend and would guess mask wearing was ~20% of the people I saw. I just feel for most Americans they won’t react to this shit until it hits them personally, which means we will likely have wave after wave in different hot spots all year, up until we have a vaccine. Basically exactly what Fauci and the other experts were saying from day one if we didn’t stick to extreme measures.

That’s stressful. Are the workers set up at your plant with decent spacing? Is that even possible there?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah. Seems like it's moving from the cities to the Agri areas. Went through AL to the beach in Florida earlier in the week and saw pretty much zero masks but the distancing was sorta ok. Had zero problems on the beach. Had few problems at the hotel other than a 2019 era manager that kept wanting to shake hands. Wouldn't quite say zero fucks but more like ignorant naivete.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I keep hoping the reality of it hitting red states will break through the bubble of politicized ignorance when it comes to masks, and I keep being disappointed. Sorry to hear about your area of Alabama, Rob...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Square Rob wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:23 am It’s getting bad here. Like really bad. Franklin county, about 25 miles south of me and where ~10-15% of our work force at the plant lives, has over 750 positive cases with a population of only 31k. That’s 1 in 40 people, which makes it one of (if not the*) hottest counties in the country. Our active count at the plant has doubled in a week, and I’m afraid it might do that again this week as we’ve had a number of people start calling off with symptoms.

On the plus side, the President disbanded the COVID Task Force a couple weeks ago, so that means the danger has passed! And yet again, the moron said that if we stop testing, we'll stop having new cases. I do understand why people who live in areas where they were shut down early with very few cases are lax with wearing masks, but at some point they have to see the risks. OTOH, I was talking to the father of my son's friend, and he was going on about how the spiking cases in other states is all about increased testing, and how hospitalizations are down and it's actually a good sign and safer, because more people know they have it, while the actual cases are lower. I don't know, my understanding is hospitalizations are increasing, too, and it isn't just more known cases due to testing, but increases in actual infections.

Fortunately, NJ requires masks in stores. I haven't seen a single person in or about to go into a store without a mask, and even local Trumpers are wearing masks. I've seen people crying about their freedoms, but they say they are following the mask requirements. It was real in my area, and my town had one of the first known cases, and a completely healthy guy in his 40s with 2 kids died of COVID early on, so that hit home for the Town.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Hospitalizations are down, I think, if you take the US as a whole, as early hotspots that closed down hard like NY, NJ, WA, MD and a few others are seeing good results from the initial response. But if you take that group out and focus on the new hotspots that are are NOT responding with closures, hospitalizations are accelerating.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 am Hospitalizations are down, I think, if you take the US as a whole, as early hotspots that closed down hard like NY, NJ, WA, MD and a few others are seeing good results from the initial response. But if you take that group out and focus on the new hotspots that are are NOT responding with closures, hospitalizations are accelerating.
Yeah, I meant hospitalizations in the hotspots, not aggregate across the US.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:59 am
tennbengal wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 am Hospitalizations are down, I think, if you take the US as a whole, as early hotspots that closed down hard like NY, NJ, WA, MD and a few others are seeing good results from the initial response. But if you take that group out and focus on the new hotspots that are are NOT responding with closures, hospitalizations are accelerating.
Yeah, I meant hospitalizations in the hotspots, not aggregate across the US.
Right. But the MAGA crew that is obfuscating this current problem are playing games with whole vs. hotposts in claiming things are fine. One benefit to the early closure of MD is that people here by and large do NOT complain about wearing masks in public indoor places like stores. Mask usage is 100% in those areas here, which is helping. We got used to it early.