Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by mister d »

I know you're supposed to hate Jean-Ralphio, but I really hate him. Terrible character and I wish he was never created.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Master of None is great. I'm probably going to re-watch it here soon.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:28 am We're doing the same but with like 10 episodes left. I love Rob Lowe's character even if I'm pretty sure I don't like Rob Lowe the person.
Rob Lowe is one of the best podcast guests. He is so funny and really seems to have no ego. I listened to his reading of his memoir, and I came away really liking him. If you ever see or hear interviews of him with his sons, I guarantee you come away liking him. His sons just brutally rip him apart. I recently saw a compilation of his sons destroying him on Twitter. It's great.

ETA: forgot to mention, he started a podcast on Conan O'Brien's podcast network. Haven't listened to it yet.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Isn't he a Trump guy?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:44 am
Pruitt wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:26 am After missing "Parks and Recreation" when it aired, my wife and I are binging it. Near the end of Season 5 - it's just great.

BUT - I just hate Tom Haverford. He's just not very funny and Aziz Ansari is a terrible one note actor.

But Ron Swanson is one of the greatest sitcom characters in history. And I can't believe how funny Rob Lowe is.
I'm just about to start season 6.

I'm all right with Tom, you need him to have Jean-Ralphio.

Have you watched Master of None?
I really liked the first season of "Master of None," but give up on the second season about half way through the black and white homage to Italian neo-realism.

Pretentious and lame. Also, his character became very irritating (along with Eric from Tim and Eric)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:07 am Isn't he a Trump guy?
It's a little more nuanced than that. He likes Bill Clinton, too. He's very much a person that wants EVERYONE to like him.

It's kind of problematic these days, but it's not as simple as him being in the bag for Trump.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh. I literally did not know that and feel a little better.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:00 pm Oh. I literally did not know that and feel a little better.
Hey, that's the name of his podcast!
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:33 am
Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:44 am
Pruitt wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:26 am After missing "Parks and Recreation" when it aired, my wife and I are binging it. Near the end of Season 5 - it's just great.

BUT - I just hate Tom Haverford. He's just not very funny and Aziz Ansari is a terrible one note actor.

But Ron Swanson is one of the greatest sitcom characters in history. And I can't believe how funny Rob Lowe is.
I'm just about to start season 6.

I'm all right with Tom, you need him to have Jean-Ralphio.

Have you watched Master of None?
I really liked the first season of "Master of None," but give up on the second season about half way through the black and white homage to Italian neo-realism.

Pretentious and lame. Also, his character became very irritating (along with Eric from Tim and Eric)
I hope you at least made it to the dancing in the kitchen scene.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Giff wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:40 am The name kept me away for a long time, but was finally convinced to watch Schitt's Creek and am sorry it took this long. So hilarious.
The wife and I are binging it at the moment. Absolutely love it. We are also chugging through Community with our 14 year old. She loves it. Last night was the paintball battle. So damn good. She and I also started Parks and Rec. I told he we needed to get through the first half of the first season and she would be hooked. Haven't gotten that far.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:57 am I know you're supposed to hate Jean-Ralphio, but I really hate him. Terrible character and I wish he was never created.
God, this.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sorry, I love Jean-Ralphio (and Mona Lisa Saperstein also). They just make me laugh.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:02 am
mister d wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:28 am We're doing the same but with like 10 episodes left. I love Rob Lowe's character even if I'm pretty sure I don't like Rob Lowe the person.
Rob Lowe is one of the best podcast guests. He is so funny and really seems to have no ego. I listened to his reading of his memoir, and I came away really liking him. If you ever see or hear interviews of him with his sons, I guarantee you come away liking him. His sons just brutally rip him apart. I recently saw a compilation of his sons destroying him on Twitter. It's great.

ETA: forgot to mention, he started a podcast on Conan O'Brien's podcast network. Haven't listened to it yet.
He was really engaging on Conan's podcast.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

duff wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:41 pmThe wife and I ... Absolutely love ... chugging ... with our 14 year old... hooke...r.

(Note: Had I been able to, I would have made it "with a 14" to clearly detach the joke from the daughter. Please know this refers to a non-family 14 year old hooker.)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:49 pm Sorry, I love Jean-Ralphio (and Mona Lisa Saperstein also). They just make me laugh.

They're woorrrrrrsssssst, but the best.

and Duff, the first half-season or so is just ok, but getting rid of the sad-sack city planner AND more importantly, changing some personality aspects of Leslie improve the show ten fold.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:49 pm Sorry, I love Jean-Ralphio (and Mona Lisa Saperstein also). They just make me laugh.
Same.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:08 pm
Same.
F. Tony on Space force is just Jean-Raplhio's new persona after (Parks & Rec spoiler below)
[+] spoiler
faking his own death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:06 pmThey're woorrrrrrsssssst, but the best.
I think that's the intent, but I really, truly hate him and would have him off the show if I had a choice.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I’ll let it slide but tell us you actually hate Jamm and it’s pitchfork time.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:38 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:06 pmThey're woorrrrrrsssssst, but the best.
I think that's the intent, but I really, truly hate him and would have him off the show if I had a choice.
"Money, please!"
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:44 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:57 am I know you're supposed to hate Jean-Ralphio, but I really hate him. Terrible character and I wish he was never created.
God, this.
Yeah, he bugs the hell out of me...

BUT - I think that's partly because we are bunging the show. Whereas you'd maybe see him once every month or so, we are now seeing him nightly.

But he is a bit much - so absolutely transparently stupid that the fact Tom H. is friends with him makes him seem even dumber.

But MonaLisa is hilarious. Only seen her on one episode, but I pretty much love anything that Jenny Slate does.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Have you guys seen Middleditch and Swartz? If not, encourage you to check it out. It's the guy from Silicon Valley (middleditch) and Jean R. doing longform improve. It's impressive and very funny.

Anyways, I dig him on Parks... He's supposed to be an annoying tool... And he does it quite well.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think I've mentioned this before, but we passed on the first season+ of the show while it was on the air because we both hated Pratt based on his character from The OC and jumped ship after episode one where he was kind of a dick. I guess that worked well because we jumped back on after it had grown into itself. Now I believe Andy is the best and I find Pratt to be a very enjoyable movie star, so the more you know...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:03 pm Have you guys seen Middleditch and Swartz? If not, encourage you to check it out. It's the guy from Silicon Valley (middleditch) and Jean R. doing longform improve. It's impressive and very funny.

Anyways, I dig him on Parks... He's supposed to be an annoying tool... And he does it quite well.
He was also very good in House of Lies...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I held out on Apple +, even though some of the shows really intrigued me. Welp, the wife got a new phone (much needed) and the channel comes with the purchase (1 yr).

Well, we are absolutely LOVING "The Morning Show" with Anniston, Witherspoon and Carell. The content is pretty loosely ripped from the headlines/Matt Lauer is a pig stuff. But the performances across the board are incredible. Like... best drama on TV Emmy level stuff.

The guy that absolutely steals the show is Billy Crudup, who plays the quirky head of the news division. Hard to really describe his performance, but it's off the charts quality.

Looking forward to watching the Tom Hanks movie... Oh, and the Beastie Boys documentary, directed by Spike Jonze is amazing.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:20 am I held out on Apple +, even though some of the shows really intrigued me. Welp, the wife got a new phone (much needed) and the channel comes with the purchase (1 yr).

Well, we are absolutely LOVING "The Morning Show" with Anniston, Witherspoon and Carell. The content is pretty loosely ripped from the headlines/Matt Lauer is a pig stuff. But the performances across the board are incredible. Like... best drama on TV Emmy level stuff.

The guy that absolutely steals the show is Billy Crudup, who plays the quirky head of the news division. Hard to really describe his performance, but it's off the charts quality.

Looking forward to watching the Tom Hanks movie... Oh, and the Beastie Boys documentary, directed by Spike Jonze is amazing.
Is Greyhound on Apple+? Bought the girl a phone, and got a notice for free Apple+. I didn't bother, because so am so far behind with Netflix, Hulu, HBO and Amazon. I was really intrigued by Morning Show, didn't seem like much else. I just know I'll get hooked on a couple shows and want to renew next year, and I need to draw the line somewhere.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:10 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:20 am I held out on Apple +, even though some of the shows really intrigued me. Welp, the wife got a new phone (much needed) and the channel comes with the purchase (1 yr).

Is Greyhound on Apple+? Bought the girl a phone, and got a notice for free Apple+. I didn't bother, because so am so far behind with Netflix, Hulu, HBO and Amazon. I was really intrigued by Morning Show, didn't seem like much else. I just know I'll get hooked on a couple shows and want to renew next year, and I need to draw the line somewhere.
Yeah, it's on Apple+... I would say it's worth doing the free year just to watch TMS and the Beastie Boys documentary.

We've gotten pretty good about signing up for stuff, like Starz, that has a series one of us wants to watch, and then unsubscribing when we're done. Probably need to do that with HBO, because we're not getting caught up on other stuff and I've watched the few series I wanted to grab now.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So we did a short hit on Quibi...totally hits my son the right way. High production, short time focus, and interesting. really liked everything he has checked out on it (including Punk'd...which he then admitted the original was way funnier)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Oh man, just saw an ad for The Boys... Coming back in September!!

I freakin' love that show. It's one of the shows I watched on my own and loved it so much I watched again with my wife.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:30 pm Oh man, just saw an ad for The Boys... Coming back in September!!

I freakin' love that show. It's one of the shows I watched on my own and loved it so much I watched again with my wife.
After season 1 I read the entire graphic novel series (actually waiting on the next collection from the library). Very good read too and I don't like graphic novels. Actually was so good I went through all of Preacher too. Garth Ennis is a strange, weird, dark writer.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I know I'm super late to this party, but...

Any of you guys watching Alone? It's on the History Channel, but S6 got picked up by Netflix, which got me hooked. My wife and I are obsessed and I'm actually learning some cool shit.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Is the Alberta Rat War a real thing?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Too drunk to Google. Kind of a miracle I got here.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:02 am Is the Alberta Rat War a real thing?
They say that there isn;t a single rat in the entire province.

History of Rat Control In Alberta

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:57 pm I know I'm super late to this party, but...

Any of you guys watching Alone? It's on the History Channel, but S6 got picked up by Netflix, which got me hooked. My wife and I are obsessed and I'm actually learning some cool shit.
We are watching season six as well. I think the show is great.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:55 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:57 pm I know I'm super late to this party, but...

We are watching season six as well. I think the show is great.
There's a guy on S1 that we're watching that somehow reminds me of you (from the one time we "met" on that Zoom call a gazillion moons ago.)

This is a compliment and I want you to circle back on this if/when you tune into this season. It airs on Amazon Prime.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Anyone watch Snowpiercer? I've never seen a show have a cliffhanger and then immediately make the reveal in a preview for an undated season 2.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:18 am Anyone watch Snowpiercer? I've never seen a show have a cliffhanger and then immediately make the reveal in a preview for an undated season 2.
Haven't seen the movie or show, but the family we're isolating with are into it, and I suspect we may start watching it soon.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:18 am Anyone watch Snowpiercer? I've never seen a show have a cliffhanger and then immediately make the reveal in a preview for an undated season 2.
It was OK. Not great, not dumb. Mostly followed the plot of the movie but season two will be all new.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Been watching Joe Pera Talks With You and I adore it. (That’s where I learned about the Alberta Rat War).