Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by L-Jam3 »

About a year or so ago I questioned why Ted Cruz got so much specified hate, stating that his politics weren’t really different with the replacement-level Republican.

I categorically rescind that prior statement.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:25 pm About a year or so ago I questioned why Ted Cruz got so much specified hate, stating that his politics weren’t really different with the replacement-level Republican.

It's also his inability to mimic human behavior. Watching his attempts is unsettling. When you think about it, it's actually scarier that when they get the programming correct, Cruz will be indistinguishable from an actual human.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Boris forced into U-turn by Marcus Rashford

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... meals.html
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Baloney wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:13 am Boris forced into U-turn by Marcus Rashford

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... meals.html
Until I clicked, I was imagining that headline in a more literal sense of them approaching each other on a road or sidewalk.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Last I checked, wrestling is 3 rounds, 2 minutes each round.

So... What's the 5 minutes about? This dude needs to stop pretending he understands sports.

Also, Ron Perlman's retorts to everything were excellent. There needs to be more Democrats like that.

ETA: I had to check the time. I wrestled in high school. Those numbers are correct. It's 3 rounds totaling 7 minutes in college (extra minute in the first round). Then it's 2 rounds that are 3 minutes each for Greco-Roman and Freestyle in the Olympics.

Still, none of those are 5 minutes unless you subtract a round from the college format. Clearly that wouldn't make sense.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:15 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:25 pm About a year or so ago I questioned why Ted Cruz got so much specified hate, stating that his politics weren’t really different with the replacement-level Republican.

It's also his inability to mimic human behavior. Watching his attempts is unsettling. When you think about it, it's actually scarier that when they get the programming correct, Cruz will be indistinguishable from an actual human.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Andy Barr’s wife died tonight at 39. Two young kids. Sucks regardless of politics.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, this is my exact (anti-)sweet spot for empathy.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Krysten Sinema in a purple wig reminds me of Scarlett Johansson in Lost In Translation. What a time to be alive.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:09 pm Andy Barr’s wife died tonight at 39. Two young kids. Sucks regardless of politics.
Yeah, that's awful.

And bizarre. You don't often hear of women that age dropping dead of heart attacks or strokes like men do. But I guess it happens. Or maybe it was something else, like suicide or a drug overdose. All very sad possibilities.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:49 am
A_B wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:09 pm Andy Barr’s wife died tonight at 39. Two young kids. Sucks regardless of politics.
Yeah, that's awful.

And bizarre. You don't often hear of women that age dropping dead of heart attacks or strokes like men do. But I guess it happens. Or maybe it was something else, like suicide or a drug overdose. All very sad possibilities.
If it was a Democrat, Trump would have already tweeted speculation that he killed her.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:49 amAnd bizarre. You don't often hear of women that age dropping dead of heart attacks or strokes like men do. But I guess it happens. Or maybe it was something else, like suicide or a drug overdose. All very sad possibilities.
We know one who died of a brain aneurysm last year around age 38, which is exactly what this made me think of. But you're right in terms of it being more jarring to hear its a woman than a man.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:55 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:49 amAnd bizarre. You don't often hear of women that age dropping dead of heart attacks or strokes like men do. But I guess it happens. Or maybe it was something else, like suicide or a drug overdose. All very sad possibilities.
We know one who died of a brain aneurysm last year around age 38, which is exactly what this made me think of. But you're right in terms of it being more jarring to hear its a woman than a man.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Cook political report moves Montana to Toss up. Currently Republican held. That's five Red seats rated as toss up. Doug Jones is still rated as likely to lose his Alabama seat.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:55 am
The report says a "floppy valve" in the heart.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ugh, that's awful about Ms. Barr.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Matt Gaetz dragging today has made me laugh. A lot.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:31 pm The Matt Gaetz dragging today has made me laugh. A lot.
Yeah, but who had "Katie Hill defends his parenting" on their bingo card?

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I could make a few jokes here but I will not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This pretty much ties the week in GOP politics together.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:49 pm This pretty much ties the week in GOP politics together.

That is gold. Normally I wouldn't support attacking a politician's family or personal life, but Gaetz is such a POS, he deserves it. So bizarre, he apparently has never mentioned having an adopted son, yet he had several posts referring to Nestor as his Congressional Page. And who the hell would let a single 27 yo man with numerous DWIs adopt a 13 yo Cuban boy? I would never lightly accuse someone of adopting a child as a sex slave, but I am 90% sure Matt Gaetz adopted this kid as a sex slave. As Bill Maher says, "I don't know it for a fact, but I know it's true." He makes so much more sense now. Has he gone on anti-gay rants?

I saw someone Tweeted that Gaetz was the sole vote against an anti-sex trafficking Bill. Not sure if that is true, but who the fuck would go on record as the sole vote against a sex trafficking bill?
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The replies to that Matt Gaetz tweet are fucking hysterical.

But....how the fuck does a 27 year old (presumably) single male adopt a kid -- and one that old, no less??

This is really weird.

ETA

Wait, Matt Gaetz is 38. This math seems fuzzy. Regardless, HOW SWAY.
Last edited by Johnnie on Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Every decent investigative journalist in the country has to be booking the first flight to south Florida right now to look into "Nestor" right?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:16 pm The replies to that Matt Gaetz tweet are fucking hysterical.

But....how the fuck does a 27 year old (presumably) single male adopt a kid -- and one that old, no less??

This is really weird.
Well, to be perfectly honest, it's often very hard for older kids to find homes. And Gaetz had enough political pull as a state representative (and son of the State Senate President) at the time to make it happen pretty easily. That doesn't make it less weird that he didn't tell anyone for seven years.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

OK, here is the official House Roll Call vote for the Combating Human Trafficking in Commercial Vehicles Act. Yeas: 418 Nays: 1 (Gaetz) with 12 no votes.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:21 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:16 pm The replies to that Matt Gaetz tweet are fucking hysterical.

This is really weird.
Well, to be perfectly honest, it's often very hard for older kids to find homes. And Gaetz had enough political pull as a state representative (and son of the State Senate President) at the time to make it happen pretty easily. That doesn't make it less weird that he didn't tell anyone for seven years.
Ok, I've never looked into adoption. I've always heard it was extremely difficult as a single dude to adopt. But if it does make some sense, I'll take your word for it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm in the market to adopt an 19-year-old Latina. No fatties.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:35 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:21 pm

This is really weird.
Ok, I've never looked into adoption. I've always heard it was extremely difficult as a single dude to adopt. But if it does make some sense, I'll take your word for it.
Oh I think it would be very difficult for someone without political connections to do so, for sure. Add in that it would be a chance to get an older kid out of the system and it was probably rubber stamped easily.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Gaetz not making this public until now cuts both ways whether it's true or not.

If it's not true, that's some pretty calculated bullshit.

If it's true and he kept it hidden, that says a lot about how he feels this adoption would look to his constituency.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:43 pm Gaetz not making this public until now cuts both ways whether it's true or not.

If it's not true, that's some pretty calculated bullshit.

If it's true and he kept it hidden, that says a lot about how he feels this adoption would look to his constituency.
His "kid" wasn't even at his swearing-in ceremony. I smell a rat.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:35 pmOk, I've never looked into adoption. I've always heard it was extremely difficult as a single dude to adopt. But if it does make some sense, I'll take your word for it.
Its extremely difficult for a financially stable couple in their 30s and no legal history whatsoever to adopt.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Seriously, it's not his kid. If it is, there will be a school the child attended, permission forms, communications. Etc.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good point, Toby.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:58 pm Good point, Toby.
Just highlighting it for Jerloma. My large adult son.