The "Help Me Do My Work" Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

The "Help Me Do My Work" Thread

Post by brian »

I have to come up with a compelling prize for a national World Cup contest with a prize budget of about $500. The top idea in my mind is a 50-inch TV (that's lower-tier for that size obviously, but I don't care it's not my TV).

Any other ideas, especially anything soccer-related in that price range. If you were competing in a contest like that, what you want to win (that costs around $500). Thanks in advance.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Sabo
The Dude

Re: The "Help Me Do My Work" Thread

Post by Sabo »

$500 cash.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Tickets to the MLS championship game.

Gift card to the FIFA online shop (if there is one).
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

$500 Onion Bag Gift Card
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Not very creative, but I doubt there's anything more compelling in the $500 range than $500.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, cash isn't an option unfortunately. Gift cards to something sports or soccer themed is though.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Dinner date with one of those WAGs in the video that was posted.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Not very creative either, but a tablet?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

For about $500 you could probably buy the Vancouver Whitecaps.

The FIFA store is, quite simply, http://store.fifa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the idea of a package of prizes. Let's say . . . a jersey (average price $100), World Cup cap ($20). official Match Ball (around $150), watch/timepiece ($20), Hoodie ($50), Wimminz t-shirt ($20), etc etc etc . . . So you're looking at around $400 of merchandise, plus tax and shipping and you should get near $500.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That's an interesting idea -- thanks, Scottie. And thanks everyone for the ideas.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I like Scottie's idea but also like a ticketmaster or stubhub gift certificate?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

I like gift certificates, don't get me wrong and feel free to mail me any, but with them there is also the element that if you win something you still have to do all the work. I like the idea of a set prize. Then you look forward to it arriving just like when you were a kid and ordered those "x-ray specs" from the back of a Batman comic.

And I could be dead wrong on this, I'm not a marketing guy (thank cheezewhiz), but I imagine that people are more likely to participate in a contest if they can see the prizes even as photos on a contest website. "You're playing for THIS!" Shirt, jersey, ball, sweater, scarf, program and watch. As opposed to here's a gift card go get something. If the prize is a gift card then, yes absolutely, it should be for something specific like the FIFA store or event tix. (Mind you, not everyone is able to attend events)
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scottie wrote:I like gift certificates, don't get me wrong and feel free to mail me any, but with them there is also the element that if you win something you still have to do all the work. I like the idea of a set prize. Then you look forward to it arriving just like when you were a kid and ordered those "x-ray specs" from the back of a Batman comic.

And I could be dead wrong on this, I'm not a marketing guy (thank cheezewhiz), but I imagine that people are more likely to participate in a contest if they can see the prizes even as photos on a contest website. "You're playing for THIS!" Shirt, jersey, ball, sweater, scarf, program and watch. As opposed to here's a gift card go get something. If the prize is a gift card then, yes absolutely, it should be for something specific like the FIFA store or event tix. (Mind you, not everyone is able to attend events)

This is a great point. while I'd rather win a gift card, seeing a prize like a US Soccer jersey with the number/name of my choice, I'd be more likely to enter. Stupid human brain. I think there is something intrinsically exciting about winning something you wouldn't spend the money to buy for yourself. Even with a gift card. Illogical, but the truth.

I like Scottie's package idea. I'd go USMNT themed, since it is a US only contest. I'd say 2 jerseys, one in each color the US plays in, maybe an official WC ball or a US Soccer ball. Maybe a US Soccer hat, scarf or banner or something. Or a gift card to the store on ussoccer.com.

Just be sure to let us know when the contest is, and make sure one of us wins it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I did go with Scottie's idea and it was a big hit, so thanks. I even "saved the company some money" since I went with a jersey, hoodie, ball and two T-shirts (men's and women's) which totaled up to $350 in value for legal purposes.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:I did go with Scottie's idea and it was a big hit, so thanks. I even "saved the company some money" since I went with a jersey, hoodie, ball and two T-shirts (men's and women's) which totaled up to $350 in value for legal purposes.
I want my $150 dollars!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

kegorator
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

testy boxcar wrote:kegorator
We did do that for one contest. I'll have to trot that idea out there again for another one though sometime.