Coinkadinks? (coincidences)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Coinkadinks? (coincidences)

Post by cerrano »

I follow a bunch of weather accounts on Twitter including an account that posts Severe Thunderstorm Warning alerts with maps. Today around 3:30, at the same time as the Bournemouth-Crystal Palace game, that weather account posted a map that included a town named Croyden (same name of the section of London where Crystal Palace play) in PA and I mistakenly told Mrs Cerrano that the PA Croyden was in Jersey. She corrected me (correctly) saying she somehow knew Croyden wasn’t a Jersey town, and claimed that if I gave her a list of 5 towns, (4 NJ and 1 PA) she could tell me which one of the 5 wasn’t in NJ. So the first list I gave her was taken from that same map and included the town of Roebling, NJ. I had never heard of Roebling, NJ until I looked at that map and figured it was connected to John Roebling who built the Brooklyn Bridge. (It’s actually part of Florence Twp.)

Fast forward 2 hours, and we’re listening to Louis Prima at dinner because we’ve been on a kick lately. We’re talking about him and his history, and how when we were in NO in 2018, we saw Prima’s daughter singing on public access TV. I looked her up, and clicked on her mother’s name (who was Prima’s 5th wife) Gia Malone. She has a wiki page that says she was born in...

ROEBLING FUCKING NEW JERSEY! WTF?

Now that’s a coinkadink

(I’m heading over to the “what, are you drinking?” thread next. Sorry for wasting your time.)
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
mister d
The Dude

Re: Coinkadinks? (coincidences)

Post by mister d »

These are the best kind of mindfucks, where it’s like you’re an actor in a controlled world.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

At the beginning of November there was an email that stated there would be a massive group of people across the Air Force needing to be deployed short notice to establish a bare base location. This "real world" notification came down during our local "exercise" which tested... movement capacity of personnel from our base.

Then, as I'm briefing the slides about how the exercise went to the base commander and all other heads of state at our "hot wash" (an after action report meeting), I drop the "real world" news on everyone and everyone suddenly sat up straight. The base commander is like "Ha. This is why we exercise."

A question of sourcing the personnel is mentioned and I say "I'm very interested if they'll pull from a large pool of folks too since I'd be on the hook to deploy if so." Everyone nods in understanding and wanted to know ASAP if taskings came to the base.

Monday morning I'm like, "Ya know, with my luck I'm gonna get hit. It just feels like I'm going." to people in my office. They didn't think so. Then Friday rolls around. And yup, I called it. And I let everyone know ASAP.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Since the thread is fresh...

I clicked on the podcast thread and see a post that highlights a podcast about Robert Smalls. I'm like "I think that's the dude that stole a boat and freed slaves."

I go to Wiki, yes. Yes, he was: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Smalls

The fact that I watched John Oliver's Last Week Tonight topic on the Confederacy yesterday and he had suggested at the end of the episode having a statue for Robert Smalls is the first coincidence.

But something in the wiki page caught my eye for coincidence 2: "The Planter had been commanded by a Captain Charles C. J. Relyea and Smalls copied Relyea's manners and straw hat on deck..."

That last name 'Relyea' was the same name as a dude I was deployed with and he was a thorn in my ass for the entire time until he redeployed a couple weeks ago.

All I can think "Being an asshole must run in that family."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

My sister (who lives in NM) texts me as she's applying for a job at an environmental advocacy org here in Boulder to see if I know anyone there. In fact I do have a friend that works there, so I text her to see if my sister can contact her, and lo, the position that is open is because she just quit.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I love those 'small world' connections.

In college, one spring break, I was skiing in Taos. Rode up a chairlift with a woman who it turns out went to her prom (in Camp Hill, PA) with my roommate's older brother.