Re: Random Politics

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So many questions:

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:56 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:35 pmOk, I've never looked into adoption. I've always heard it was extremely difficult as a single dude to adopt. But if it does make some sense, I'll take your word for it.
Its extremely difficult for a financially stable couple in their 30s and no legal history whatsoever to adopt.
You just reminded me that my fiancee's sister and her husband adopted a kid. Exactly that scenario. They just received full custody (and the ability to cut his hair) about a year ago. Kid came from an extremely destitute and harrowing situation. The mother was just a broken human being in every way. And it still took years for them to gain full custody.

This entire situation with Gaetz just doesn't seem right at all.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:52 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:43 pm Gaetz not making this public until now cuts both ways whether it's true or not.

If it's not true, that's some pretty calculated bullshit.

If it's true and he kept it hidden, that says a lot about how he feels this adoption would look to his constituency.
His "kid" wasn't even at his swearing-in ceremony. I smell a rat.
So does Nestor. Probably weekly
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:18 pm Every decent investigative journalist in the country has to be booking the first flight to south Florida right now to look into "Nestor" right?
Gaetz is a panhandle idiot.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:54 pm
Many and they're called ladybugs.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:15 pm
brian wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:18 pm Every decent investigative journalist in the country has to be booking the first flight to south Florida right now to look into "Nestor" right?
Gaetz is a panhandle idiot.
I was thinking of a different Florida Man apparently but I even knew that and spaced on it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

They both still lose to McTurtle, but Booker loses a bit less.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So it's looking like Kentucky might have record turnout for a primary today. WEll north of 400,000 absentees have already been returned I think, and the lines at Kroger Field (that's UK's stadium and the only polling place in fayette county) were very strong before the polls even opened. I voted by mail over a week ago.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

UGh. Wait times up to close to two hours. But they have added some additional check in stations so hopefully that helps.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:07 pm UGh. Wait times up to close to two hours. But they have added some additional check in stations so hopefully that helps.
I'm curious, did they mail everyone ballots for absentee voting? Or did you have to request one?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:09 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:07 pm UGh. Wait times up to close to two hours. But they have added some additional check in stations so hopefully that helps.
I'm curious, did they mail everyone ballots for absentee voting? Or did you have to request one?
You had to request one. They had over 850k requested ballots, over half of which had been returned as of yesterday. Also nearly 100k early voting. It's going to be a good turnout, and it was a bipartisan plan, so there's no real reason people are saying that this is the classic voter suppression tactics.

It would probably have made sense to have a couple of more polling locations, but Kroger field is damn near in the dead center of town. You can get there in 20 minutes from pretty much anywhere. Bus rides to the stadium are free as well.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:12 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:09 pm
You had to request one. They had over 850k requested ballots, over half of which had been returned as of yesterday. Also nearly 100k early voting. It's going to be a good turnout, and it was a bipartisan plan, so there's no real reason people are saying that this is the classic voter suppression tactics.

It would probably have made sense to have a couple of more polling locations, but Kroger field is damn near in the dead center of town. You can get there in 20 minutes from pretty much anywhere. Bus rides to the stadium are free as well.
It seems to me that this whole "Kentucky is trying to suppress votes!" story is kinda batshit. It's like a left-wing less-stupid-but-still-stupid version of Jade Helm.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I don't know if this screencapped tweet is legit, but if so, maybe AOC isn't quite as good at Twitter as I was giving her credit for.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Come on.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:09 pm

It seems to me that this whole "Kentucky is trying to suppress votes!" story is kinda batshit. It's like a left-wing less-stupid-but-still-stupid version of Jade Helm.
Yeah I think people just assumed because Kentucky is a red state there was something nefarious going on, when actually the Republican Secretary of State moved pretty quickly on making sure people could vote by mail or early in person.

It sure looks to me like the turnout is going to be at least on par with a midterm election turnout. Our primaries are almost always low in turnout because they are so late in the process it's usually decided by then.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:12 pmCome on.
YEah, it's fake.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

You don't have early voting? I'm pretty sure I've early voted every time it's been available. Those polls open up about a month or so prior to the scheduled election, and are at the 10-15 highest traffic polling sites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:15 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Yeah I think people just assumed because Kentucky is a red state there was something nefarious going on, when actually the Republican Secretary of State moved pretty quickly on making sure people could vote by mail or early in person.

It sure looks to me like the turnout is going to be at least on par with a midterm election turnout. Our primaries are almost always low in turnout because they are so late in the process it's usually decided by then.
What a lot of people didn't realize was how widely available absentee ballots were made. Nevada (a blue state) did largely the same thing after it had mailed ballots to all registered voters.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:16 pm You don't have early voting? I'm pretty sure I've early voted every time it's been available. Those polls open up about a month or so prior to the scheduled election, and are at the 10-15 highest traffic polling sites.
They did it this year for the first time. You had to make an appointment. I think nearly 100k did so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:10 pm I don't know if this screencapped tweet is legit, but if so, maybe AOC isn't quite as good at Twitter as I was giving her credit for.

There is absolutely no way she is dumb enough to Tweet that post that. [and Snoped confirmed it's fake]. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/aoc-b ... sed-tweet/
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:18 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:16 pm You don't have early voting? I'm pretty sure I've early voted every time it's been available. Those polls open up about a month or so prior to the scheduled election, and are at the 10-15 highest traffic polling sites.
They did it this year for the first time. You had to make an appointment. I think nearly 100k did so.
Ours is walk up.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Guessing the appointment protocol was because of COVID and wanting to prevent large groups where possible.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:03 pm
Ours is walk up.
Look, guys, Florida did something right!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:06 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:03 pm
Ours is walk up.
Look, guys, Florida did something right!
Shit, might even be just Hillsborough County, but I'll take it!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:06 pm Guessing the appointment protocol was because of COVID and wanting to prevent large groups where possible.
Pretty much the whole thing was related to COVID, yes. They pushed it back as far as they could by law. Now, it's backfiring a bit because they only had one location here in Lexington, but that seems to be more the fault of our county clerk and not the statewide process.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

One other aside, at least 150,000 ex-felons were eligible to vote after the Governor restored their rights.

Edit: conflicting numbers.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, all things considered I think Kentucky gets a pass here. This is nothing like the shenanigans that got pulled in Georgia.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:19 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:10 pm I don't know if this screencapped tweet is legit, but if so, maybe AOC isn't quite as good at Twitter as I was giving her credit for.

There is absolutely no way she is dumb enough to Tweet that post that. [and Snoped confirmed it's fake]. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/aoc-b ... sed-tweet/
That’s good to know. And a relief.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I've been voting by mail for 20 years. I think my parents have been voting by mail for 50 years. Really weird that this is an issue NOW.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:39 pm I've been voting by mail for 20 years. I think my parents have been voting by mail for 50 years. Really weird that this is an issue NOW.
Washington State (along with Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, and Utah) is all vote-by-mail. And it works great. And is super easy. And there's been no incidence of voter fraud.

Its insane to make people go stand in line to vote.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:45 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:39 pm I've been voting by mail for 20 years. I think my parents have been voting by mail for 50 years. Really weird that this is an issue NOW.
Washington State (along with Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, and Utah) is all vote-by-mail. And it works great. And is super easy. And there's been no incidence of voter fraud.

*unless you want to prevent black people from voting.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This is gonna be several days for Kentucky. I would have thought they had counted most absentee ballots already but I guess they don’t start counting Any ballots till polls are closed? Not sure I have the right info n
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:45 pm

My town (probably done by county) automatically sent mail in primary ballots. Within a day of the Dem ballots arriving, they announced a large percentage of ballots were mailed with the wrong return address, and you have to return the ballot and request a new one. Republican ballots went out a few days later, same issue. Not off to a good start. Mine and my wife's were both correct. Haven't bothered to vote yet, since the only contested primaries are for County positions I don't care about. [checks ballot] Ok, some guy I've never heard of is running against Cory Booker for Senate, maybe I should take 5 minutes to look into it, but I can't imagine anyone competing with Booker.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Charles Booker destroyed McGrath at the in person location in lexington. 72%. If both Louisville and Lexington come in like that, McGrath probably in trouble.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

She is Bat Shit Crazy!
Asearch into public records reveals that there is no one named Waynel Sexton and there is no evidence that this person taught grade school anywhere.Citizen investigators have pointed out that the name Waynel Sexton is short for “Aynel Sex” or “Anal Sex” if you remove and replace some letters.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[Jeff Foxworthy voice] "If you're more scared of the left side of your own party than the left side of the opposition party ... you might just be a Democrat!" #90sjokes
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:12 pm

[Jeff Foxworthy voice] "If you're more scared of the left side of your own party than the left side of the opposition party ... you might just be a Democrat!" #90sjokes
Because if you have any honor, loyalty is a two-way street?

Anyway, I am curious how Pelosi and Schumer went all out. Did they contribute massive amounts of money, fund or cut attack ads against Bowman, make trips to the district, what?

(It looks like Schumer didn't endorse Engel until about a week ago. Does that count as going all in?)