Swamp Kids in College Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Kids in College Thread

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:12 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:08 pm That was an entertaining post. You're a better man than I am for driving all that way to go get your daughter. Mine is flying home tomorrow. Scary. Next semester is online so I was lobbying her to stay and work from home, but she wants to get back to the boyfriend after break, and also points out that she lives off campus and still has to pay rent anyway. Ay yi yi.
Well, they are on a full spring/fall semester and we had to get her stuff. She's moving into an apartment next fall (Additional FUCK YOU to brokers.) so won't be on campus to just have stuff stored as they are arranging with some that intend to stay on campus but didn't come back. She is NOT happy about 1) having to be at home at least until she gets an internship and 2) missing out on half a semester as the Editor-in-chief of the paper. I totally get #2, but they will still be updating the website and stuff, so she wil have interaction, but it isn't the "newsroom" which I imagine is the best part of the whole process.

UPDATE: She ended up getting not one, but two internships. One is remote so she has been doing that while also working at a bakery here in town. Then the second one is...not remote. It's in Cambridge and starts the first full week of July. Normally I would say it's not worth it, but it pays $25 frigging bucks an hour. Granted, it's just 25 hours a week and for a limited time, but between that and the remote one she's going to do fairly well.

But of course, she now has to get back to Boston. Found a sublet from a friend in her sorority for a reasonable (as far as Boston prices go) rate for two months before she moves into her actual apartment. Roommate that she has met but doesn't know that well, but still not a stranger. However, the plan for all of us to take her up really doesn't make sense as she just needs her clothes and a few things and apparently, she doesn't want "the Griswalds storming into this woman's apartment just to move a few things in." If nothing else at least she knows who the Griswalds are.

So the wife is going with her this time instead of me. Which is fine until one of them murders the other right about Shartlesville. Renting a car and the lady is flying back. She was going to drive but then just didn't feel comfortable doing the whole trip back by herself. Add in that her boss offered to pay for her flight back and it was a mostly no-brainer. A little apprehensive about the flight, but oh well.

The griswalds still plan on driving up in September to move her into her apartment.

ETA: Also her sorority "little" is staying in cape cod this summer at a family home and has offered to come pick her up for a couple of weekends. So that's kind of neat.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

She really is killing it at the college experience.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:12 am She really is killing it at the college experience.
No shit, I didn't make that much at law school summer internships. And the summer weekends on the Cape should be a lot of fun.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

SHe's learning the first hand rewards of networking. For the high paying internship the guy reached out because she ran a couple of articles about his projects in the newspaper and he was very grateful for that. For the other, it was a friend of a friend who was also doing the remote and recommended her for the job.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So...a Q to College of Wooster update.

Wooster will be...OPEN. We are thrilled. Even better, the college has really really thought through how to make it as safe as can be under the circumstances. Here's the highlights (helped by Wooster being a college of just 2400 students):

---Staggered move-ins over eight days - no more than 250 students a day.
---No more than two people assisting on move-in
---No family programs like they usually do on freshman drop-off - it's drop and go
---Each student gets a Covid test on arrival
---Each student quarantines in their room until the test result comes back
---Random testing of some of the student body weekly
---Masks everywhere on campus but on their residence halls (the hallmates become de facto family units)
---Dining halls modified for more grab and go options and social distancing for those who eat in
---Classes are small enough by design that they should be unaffected by social distancing needs for the most part without too many modifications
---If someone test positive for Covid on drop-off or at some point during term - they have buildings and rooms set aside for quarantining in place on campus
---If quarantined (or unable to attend in person because of health worries or unable to travel from international locations) - each class will be set up in a way that it can be followed and streamed and taken remotely.

Pretty much the best we could have hoped for. Q signed up for his classes yesterday, so sometime between Aug 8 and Aug 16 (still tbd) , my youngest gets to go college.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That is so awesome. Glad it's worked out so well.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:27 am So...a Q to College of Wooster update.

Wooster will be...OPEN. We are thrilled. Even better, the college has really really thought through how to make it as safe as can be under the circumstances. Here's the highlights (helped by Wooster being a college of just 2400 students):

---Staggered move-ins over eight days - no more than 250 students a day.
---No more than two people assisting on move-in
---No family programs like they usually do on freshman drop-off - it's drop and go
---Each student gets a Covid test on arrival
---Each student quarantines in their room until the test result comes back
---Random testing of some of the student body weekly
---Masks everywhere on campus but on their residence halls (the hallmates become de facto family units)
---Dining halls modified for more grab and go options and social distancing for those who eat in
---Classes are small enough by design that they should be unaffected by social distancing needs for the most part without too many modifications
---If someone test positive for Covid on drop-off or at some point during term - they have buildings and rooms set aside for quarantining in place on campus
---If quarantined (or unable to attend in person because of health worries or unable to travel from international locations) - each class will be set up in a way that it can be followed and streamed and taken remotely.

Pretty much the best we could have hoped for. Q signed up for his classes yesterday, so sometime between Aug 8 and Aug 16 (still tbd) , my youngest gets to go college.
Great news, he must be thrilled.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Definitely. Huge relief and we are all very excited.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Is College of Wooster still doing a bunch of "cow"-themed stuff in their freshman intro materials? I have a friend who went there for a year in the early 90's.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Not that I have seen so far - but there isn’t much written material anymore - so much digital.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:27 am SHe's learning the first hand rewards of networking. For the high paying internship the guy reached out because she ran a couple of articles about his projects in the newspaper and he was very grateful for that. For the other, it was a friend of a friend who was also doing the remote and recommended her for the job.
Man, she sounds like she is way ahead of the game. That's fantastic.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:27 am --If quarantined (or unable to attend in person because of health worries or unable to travel from international locations) - each class will be set up in a way that it can be followed and streamed and taken remotely.

First off, really happy for you guys. I know it's been a stressful few months and this must be a massive relief.

We're really banking the highlighted bullet for KK in the Fall. She really doesn't feel comfortable going back right now. She's also getting her GPA/shit together doing this virtually, so we're hoping another semester (including a pretty full Summer slate) will get her to the point that she can easily graduate on time, maybe even get a semester abroad her junior/senior year. Thinking maybe next summer, with a vaccine or really strong treatment protocols in place.

Prior to COVID, she was really under water. Now... Things are turning around.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:03 am
A_B wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:12 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:08 pm That was an entertaining post. You're a better man than I am for driving all that way to go get your daughter. Mine is flying home tomorrow. Scary. Next semester is online so I was lobbying her to stay and work from home, but she wants to get back to the boyfriend after break, and also points out that she lives off campus and still has to pay rent anyway. Ay yi yi.
Well, they are on a full spring/fall semester and we had to get her stuff. She's moving into an apartment next fall (Additional FUCK YOU to brokers.) so won't be on campus to just have stuff stored as they are arranging with some that intend to stay on campus but didn't come back. She is NOT happy about 1) having to be at home at least until she gets an internship and 2) missing out on half a semester as the Editor-in-chief of the paper. I totally get #2, but they will still be updating the website and stuff, so she wil have interaction, but it isn't the "newsroom" which I imagine is the best part of the whole process.

UPDATE: She ended up getting not one, but two internships. One is remote so she has been doing that while also working at a bakery here in town. Then the second one is...not remote. It's in Cambridge and starts the first full week of July. Normally I would say it's not worth it, but it pays $25 frigging bucks an hour. Granted, it's just 25 hours a week and for a limited time, but between that and the remote one she's going to do fairly well.

But of course, she now has to get back to Boston. Found a sublet from a friend in her sorority for a reasonable (as far as Boston prices go) rate for two months before she moves into her actual apartment. Roommate that she has met but doesn't know that well, but still not a stranger. However, the plan for all of us to take her up really doesn't make sense as she just needs her clothes and a few things and apparently, she doesn't want "the Griswalds storming into this woman's apartment just to move a few things in." If nothing else at least she knows who the Griswalds are.

So the wife is going with her this time instead of me. Which is fine until one of them murders the other right about Shartlesville. Renting a car and the lady is flying back. She was going to drive but then just didn't feel comfortable doing the whole trip back by herself. Add in that her boss offered to pay for her flight back and it was a mostly no-brainer. A little apprehensive about the flight, but oh well.

The griswalds still plan on driving up in September to move her into her apartment.

ETA: Also her sorority "little" is staying in cape cod this summer at a family home and has offered to come pick her up for a couple of weekends. So that's kind of neat.
Downside is that she now looks like Mr. D.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This place is a treasure.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:12 pm This place is a treasure.
It is the best little corner of the internet that hasn't been ruined yet.

Congrats to all y'all that have kids entering the big wide world.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like I should be giving out a photo for everyone (rass) to photoshop to hell.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:25 pm I feel like I should be giving out a photo for everyone (rass) to photoshop to hell.
I feel like that photo wouldn't need any photoshopping.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:20 am Not that I have seen so far - but there isn’t much written material anymore - so much digital.
They still the Fighting Scots?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:34 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:20 am Not that I have seen so far - but there isn’t much written material anymore - so much digital.
They still the Fighting Scots?
They are.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Man, that is good stuff for all of you guys - AB, Bengal, NLFC...

We are still in status quo hereabouts. Daughter is still sheltering in Seattle. Big test for her soon when the boyfriend leaves town for awhile. We are going to drive up in August to help her move into a new place. Spoke to her on the phone yesterday and she seems to be in a good place emotionally. So much more mature than I was at her age.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nice to read some good news for a change!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:27 am Just passed Shartlesville. I doubt they have an Along Came Polly festival every summer.
I'm not sure how I missed the Shartlesville callout. I grew up 10 minutes from there. For years my birthday request was to go to Roadside America. That town is weird. Hasn't changed in 75 years after you get past the highway.

Roadside America was for sale a few years ago. Not sure what the current status is.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I thought it was some kind of joke about sharting while on a road trip.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So while you guys have kids doing impressive things, I'm having this convo with my 5 year old ...

Me: "Love you."
Her: "You only love me on the highway."
Me: "What's that even mean?"
Her: "No idea, baby" [walks away]
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:05 pm So while you guys have kids doing impressive things, I'm having this convo with my 5 year old ...

Me: "Love you."
Her: "You only love me on the highway."
Me: "What's that even mean?"
Her: "No idea, baby" [walks away]
Is your kid a lyricist for some new singer/songwriter?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Good stuff from everyone on here!

Mine didn’t have the best second half of his Freshman year as he had to adjust to losing his independence and come back home. Still had an ok GPA though. He will be commuting next semester. I can’t see letting him live in a dorm, eat in dining halls and host parties in his dorm room. He agreed and is dealing with it because he’s going to get his own car now. His summer job as a camp counselor was canceled and he’ll be taking some online courses this semester.

My luck, I’ll buy the car and then school will go online exclusively.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

How good is the WiFi in the car? Sounds like it could be a win-win
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So Kentucky is now officially on the restricted list for travel into Massachusetts, which throws a bit of a wrench into the plan to get the rest of the kid's stuff to her next month. The 14 day quarantine is obviously a non-starter, but they have a condition in there where you can take a test within 72 hours of your arrival into the state and produce negative results if asked for it. And we can do the drive in one day to help with that, but I'm not confident we would be able to get results. Stories from around here are all over the place about how long results take. May be time for a contingency.

I may have mentioned that the sublet this summer is just around the corner from where she will be in the fall, so she can probably get a cart and get her stuff over there. Then we'd just have to order her a bed from one of the box delivery places I guess and she can put it on the floor until we can get her a base for it. It's a real first-world problem of course, but I think it could be a real issue for some people.

Who from the Northeast wants to help move?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Not sure about MA, but NJ's list has been fluid (I've mentioned here that Delaware has been added, removed, and then added again) and can be read that if you're passing through (spend less than 24 hours in NJ) then the rules don't apply to you. The whole thing might be more fun with a ticking clock anyway.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:02 am Not sure about MA, but NJ's list has been fluid (I've mentioned here that Delaware has been added, removed, and then added again) and can be read that if you're passing through (spend less than 24 hours in NJ) then the rules don't apply to you. The whole thing might be more fun with a ticking clock anyway.
Yeah, there's a chance that we could be taken off before then but it seems unlikely to be honest. We weren't on it last week when I checked but we have had a lot of cases lately.

Transient people were allowed but I didn't see a time limit. Will check again.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I'm headed to Boston this weekend. Fuck em. They cant enforce that. No way can I get a covid test at all much less get the results. It's a $500 fine. I'll risk it and highly doubtful I get cited.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

If i were flying I wouldn't worry about it, but we will have Kentucky plates unless we get a rental, then it's a crapshoot as to what plates you would have. Usually seem to be NY or Florida.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I have Georgia plates and rolling in a packed minivan. Granted it'll be parked but still. Zero chance they can pull all the out of town tags on move in weekend.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:23 am If i were flying I wouldn't worry about it, but we will have Kentucky plates unless we get a rental, then it's a crapshoot as to what plates you would have. Usually seem to be NY or Florida.
Time to start calling all the local car rentals and asking if they have any with Massachusetts plates. I'll bet they've had stranger requests.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:56 am So Kentucky is now officially on the restricted list for travel into Massachusetts, which throws a bit of a wrench into the plan to get the rest of the kid's stuff to her next month. The 14 day quarantine is obviously a non-starter, but they have a condition in there where you can take a test within 72 hours of your arrival into the state and produce negative results if asked for it. And we can do the drive in one day to help with that, but I'm not confident we would be able to get results. Stories from around here are all over the place about how long results take. May be time for a contingency.

I may have mentioned that the sublet this summer is just around the corner from where she will be in the fall, so she can probably get a cart and get her stuff over there. Then we'd just have to order her a bed from one of the box delivery places I guess and she can put it on the floor until we can get her a base for it. It's a real first-world problem of course, but I think it could be a real issue for some people.

Who from the Northeast wants to help move?
I was JUST up in Boston moving my kid's stuff back down here to MD. I have to say... Even though there weren't restrictions back then, I find it highly unlikely BPD or Mass State Troopers are going to be enforcing this.

Even if they do, all you say is that with so many different changes, you weren't aware... You'll get a warning. They see you again, you'll get a citation.

It's a scare tactic/public health move to keep the numbers down as low as possible. Just not all that enforceable, just from a logistical/feasibility stand point.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

AB the Superspreader
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean, the thing is... I drove up there and stayed at a Residence Inn in Hartford (which was fine). Drove up the next morning, did all my business in Boston (moving and cleaning out his apt room) and then got back in the rented van and trucked on home (it's about a 7 hour drive).

Nobody at the Marriott was going to fuck with me about quarantining. And I saw some state troopers, but they've got their hands full with ppl driving 100 mph all over the interstates.

I think as long as you're not going through VRBO or AirBnb, where private home/residence owners are likely going to hassle you*, you're gonna be fine.

* - We went up in early July for more of a "pick up your clothes and computer and hang with your friends" while the wife and I took a break out near Buzzard's Bay in Westport, RI. We'd originally wanted to stay up in Maine, but the home owner was (very politely) telling us we needed the test protocol that AB described earlier. We just decided it wasn't worth the hassle. But that was for a vacay spot where we'd be for a full week, not a nite at a hotel (who really need the business.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:58 pmI mean, the thing is... I drove up there and stayed at a Residence Inn in Hartford (which was fine).
Comments like that are going to get you a key to the city.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:00 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:58 pmI mean, the thing is... I drove up there and stayed at a Residence Inn in Hartford (which was fine).
Comments like that are going to get you a key to the city.
Yeah, about that... It was fine because I parked in the lot, put a mask on and picked up a box of wine one door down from the hotel, and carry out from a joint one door down in the other direction. Looking around... That shit was ROUGH. Glad my wife stayed home, as she would've been skeeved out the entire stay.

Room was a lofted space... A little dated, but nice and clean.

So... Faint praise, indeed.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, our daughter’s lease is up on Aug 25 . Her new lease doesn’t start until Sept 1st. She is (finally) checking to see if she can move in early. If not, they’ll have to find short-term storage for furniture. The wife and I are going to drive up to Seattle to help her move. Luckily, I find no evidence of quarantine requirements for Washington or Oregon. Probably booking a vrbo or air bnb for a week. If we find a pet-friendly place, we might bring the dog. Sheesh.