Tech Support

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Re: Tech Support

Post by GoodKarma »

iTunes issue...

About 10 years ago I wanted to go CD free and copied all of my CD's to my computer using iTunes. Last year I noticed that most if not all of the albums that I copied have now disappeared. I figured how to restore previous versions of iTunes but that appears to lose anything I've purchased since then and still not everything is restored. The music still has to be on the computer I'm assuming...anyone have any ides on how to resurrect?

I have an iPod that I use that has many of the albums on it but it appears the only option I have to copy that back onto the computer is all or nothing and I don't want to duplicate anything.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So...I know a few folks on here are web developers, so I'll through this out there. The web app I'm working on has an 'ImageViewer' element (a polymer based web component) that does all kind of cool things like pan, zoom, etc. However where I'm using it and where it was originally developed for have very different needs, and we are thinking about creating a separate web imageviewer for my part of the application.

I know I can do it using canvas, and then writing the javascript portion, but in the spirit of laziness, I'm hoping that somewhere out there is a library that I can use...something that does a lot of the same ImageJ type functions would be awesome.

Anyone know of such a thing?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:53 am iTunes issue...

About 10 years ago I wanted to go CD free and copied all of my CD's to my computer using iTunes. Last year I noticed that most if not all of the albums that I copied have now disappeared. I figured how to restore previous versions of iTunes but that appears to lose anything I've purchased since then and still not everything is restored. The music still has to be on the computer I'm assuming...anyone have any ides on how to resurrect?

I have an iPod that I use that has many of the albums on it but it appears the only option I have to copy that back onto the computer is all or nothing and I don't want to duplicate anything.
It sounds like you probably have multiple iTunes libraries and need to merge them (which you'd have to google cuz I don't know how).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Any chance your music is on an external hard drive? I keep mine on an external, and sometimes the drive turns off and I don't notice, and iTunes says it can't find the songs, and I have to power up.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'd start with doing a search on my hard drive for music files. Search for .mp3 and .m4a. You probably need to do this for all of your drive letters (C:, D:, etc.) That's assuming you have a PC. If you have a Mac, just search in the Finder.
Totally Kafkaesque
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Ok thanks everybody. The music is not on a external drive. The research I've done prior told me about the multiple libraries...I'll have to dig further into how to merge them without replacing.
What am I, 12?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

OK guys circling back. I've checked out HubSpot and decided it's too much for me at this time. However I did take a portion of you guy's advice and cleaned up my google contacts today so I'm down to like 400ish (yay!). So here's my next step.

I'm an iPhone user currently. I really have no ties to it other than it's what I've used for years and years, but I'm starting to think that it might be best to manage all of my contacts through either Gmail/Google or iCloud. I can't figure out where my iPhone is pulling contacts in to my phone database because there are some odd one offs that are just emails that aren't associated, etc. I'm finding the browser based Google contacts page fairly easy to nagivate and edit.

Question 1: Is there a way to nuke all contacts on my iPhone and then have it sync exclusively with my gmail account? I think this would serve what I need as far as grouping contacts by state and by company for mass mailings, etc.

If NOT

Question 2: Is this feasible with another non-iPhone option? I'd be willing to switch phones at this point and learn a new OS in order for simplicity of use for business.

Thanks to JLo and the others of you guys that are helping out with this. It's kinda like going to the dentist after 8 years of neglect (funny, I did that too), but I need to get this done so I can start taking better care of my contacts and business going forward. Pints for all of you once I'm through this.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I have no idea about your iPhone question, but Android is specifically meant to sync with your google accounts. You can, of course, have contacts in there that are phone or email only, but it would sync with your edited contact list as soon as you log in.

(and I don't know what carrier you use, but let me advocate for Google Fi again, I've not had anywhere that I've traveled not have signal (aside from rural as fuck India) and it's based on gigs of data usage up to 60 GB then free after that, plus sweet phones.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:13 pm I have no idea about your iPhone question, but Android is specifically meant to sync with your google accounts. You can, of course, have contacts in there that are phone or email only, but it would sync with your edited contact list as soon as you log in.

(and I don't know what carrier you use, but let me advocate for Google Fi again, I've not had anywhere that I've traveled not have signal (aside from rural as fuck India) and it's based on gigs of data usage up to 60 GB then free after that, plus sweet phones.)
Co-sign on all of the above. Google FI is excellent. I have a Google Pixel 3 and find it's a good, comparable product to the iPhone.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I have a chromecast on my TV that up until lately has worked great. Now however, when I try to cast from my Mac to it, the options show up as 'BDP-S6700', not the name of the Chromecast, and it says 'Not Supported'.

I can cast to it from my phone with no problems, with it showing up as 'Front Room Tv'.

I've been googling, but haven't found anything helpful. Any advice?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I've got an older chromecast as well, and sometimes it just doesn't show up as an option. I usually unplug it for a bit and then replug it back in. Often times, the disc(?) is warm.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:37 pm I have a chromecast on my TV that up until lately has worked great. Now however, when I try to cast from my Mac to it, the options show up as 'BDP-S6700', not the name of the Chromecast, and it says 'Not Supported'.

I can cast to it from my phone with no problems, with it showing up as 'Front Room Tv'.

I've been googling, but haven't found anything helpful. Any advice?
See if it's hot, that's likely the first reason, but yeah, unplugging it and leaving it out for a minute and plugging it back in is worth trying for troubleshooting.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Did something happens with the swamp setup? Don't recall seeing the jpops home directory in the sportsfrog URL before.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:59 am Did something happens with the swamp setup? Don't recall seeing the jpops home directory in the sportsfrog URL before.
I'm not seeing that. When I go to the "main" page of the Swamp index I get this URL:

http://sportsfrog.net/phpbb/index.php
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:59 am Did something happens with the swamp setup? Don't recall seeing the jpops home directory in the sportsfrog URL before.
You still seeing that? If so, can you post a screenshot, or just copy-n-paste the URL?
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:07 pm
You still seeing that? If so, can you post a screenshot, or just copy-n-paste the URL?
Stopped seeing that yesterday afternoon. Basically when Brian said "I am not seeing that" I could not longer reproduce it.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Anyone have a way without downloading new software for automating a silly thing I have to do each morning while we are WFH. Specifically I have to go to an intranet site (basic webpage), fill out a form saying I am working, enter a phone number, etc. Would love to schedule a job to open the webpage, fill in the form, and hit submit M->F.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:03 am Anyone have a way without downloading new software for automating a silly thing I have to do each morning while we are WFH. Specifically I have to go to an intranet site (basic webpage), fill out a form saying I am working, enter a phone number, etc. Would love to schedule a job to open the webpage, fill in the form, and hit submit M->F.
Windows or Mac OS? Macs have a built-in application called Automator that might be able to do what you want.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:07 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:03 am Anyone have a way without downloading new software for automating a silly thing I have to do each morning while we are WFH. Specifically I have to go to an intranet site (basic webpage), fill out a form saying I am working, enter a phone number, etc. Would love to schedule a job to open the webpage, fill in the form, and hit submit M->F.
Windows or Mac OS? Macs have a built-in application called Automator that might be able to do what you want.
WLU works solely on Raspberry Pi, Brian.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:08 am
I'm guessing he's a Windows guy, but figured I'd throw my two cents out there.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:09 am
A_B wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:08 am
I'm guessing he's a Windows guy, but figured I'd throw my two cents out there.
windows 10 but if I could get the Pi on our VPN...magical.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

For the last couple months on this board and one other phpBB that I'm on, my PMs get stuck in the Outbox for hours. Is this a thing for everyone?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I thought they sat there until read? Don't know for sure though. I guess we can experiment at some point in the next 90 minutes.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:25 am I thought they sat there until read? Don't know for sure though. I guess we can experiment at some point in the next 90 minutes.
I think this is correct.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Anyone do any C# programming? Ever worked with the Polly library?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:19 pm Anyone do any C# programming? Ever worked with the Polly library?
Yes and no
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:34 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:19 pm Anyone do any C# programming? Ever worked with the Polly library?
Yes and no
Ok...I'll hit you with a C# programming question....I'm working on an async WebAPI setup and its got something like this:

Code: Select all

return Policy
                    .Handle<HttpRequestException>()        
                    .Or<TaskCanceledException>()
                    .OrResult<HttpResponseMessage>((x => !x.IsSuccessStatusCode || x.StatusCode == HttpStatusCode.NotFound), x => 
                    {
                        string errorCodeString = string.Format("HTTP Error Code:{0} Reason:{1}", x.StatusCode, x.ReasonPhrase);
                        Log.Debug(errorCodeString);

})
And I'm not understanding the '<TaskCancelException>()' type of nomenclature...what does that kind of thing mean? I can't find anything in googling around...
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

OK so real weird question.

I was browsing on a site I often purchase Disc Golf Stuff from this morning and I noticed that at the top of the site, it looked like I was logged in to wordpress and it had the user's name, Jason something. So I found the email for the site "info@website.com" and shot them a quick email telling them what I was seeing and they might want to get someone on that and make sure it's not a security issue.

I got an email back from that info address saying thank you, that they would look into it asap and thanks for bringing it to their attention.

A half hour later I got an email from a guy saying he worked for the shop on their website, saying "in order to track down how this occurred, we'd like to get your IP address to see if we can figure out in a caching application how this happened. We're trying to track it down to see if it was a caching issue with controls showing up or if it would have given you access to our back end. We appreciate your honest and help! To get your IP address, can you visit this page on the same device, www.myip.com, and copy what you see?

So I did this and sent him the address, not thinking about it. Seems legit. Now he's contacted again saying he'd like a copy of my IP from "ip.innoscale.net" which as best as I can tell is a web hosting service, probably the one Marshall Street Disc Golf uses?

There's nothing nefarious going on here, right? I searched the guys email address and the first thing that pops up is a resume about an IT guy from MA, where this place is located.

All good to provide him with this last piece of info?

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I should note the guy's personal website lists this discgolf website as one of his design highlights.

This all seems legit, just wondering if there's any precautions I should take.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Not sure why he'd need to have your IP via two different services, not like it's going to give him different answers.

It's not a great idea to give out your IP address, but it's not the end of the world.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your external IP address is functionally a license plate on a car, but for most residential internet users, it might change more often. Literally every website you visit gets it as info and could be or probably is, storing it.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:10 pm
Shirley wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:34 pm
Yes and no
Ok...I'll hit you with a C# programming question....I'm working on an async WebAPI setup and its got something like this:

return Policy
                    .Handle<HttpRequestException>()        
                    .Or<TaskCanceledException>()
                    .OrResult<HttpResponseMessage>((x => !x.IsSuccessStatusCode || x.StatusCode == HttpStatusCode.NotFound), x => 
                    {
                        string errorCodeString = string.Format("HTTP Error Code:{0} Reason:{1}", x.StatusCode, x.ReasonPhrase);
                        Log.Debug(errorCodeString);

})
And I'm not understanding the '<TaskCancelException>()' type of nomenclature...what does that kind of thing mean? I can't find anything in googling around...
It's a Generic. In C++ this would be called a template. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet ... /generics/

The gist of it is a class or method can be defined that works on whatever class you define it with. It sounds more complicated than it is. Look at some examples and it'll make sense.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:36 pm I should note the guy's personal website lists this discgolf website as one of his design highlights.

This all seems legit, just wondering if there's any precautions I should take.
Yeah, there's nothing nefarious about having your IP address. Every single website you go to has it. I can tell you what IP address you last used to access the Swamp.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What's wrong with my (very old) TV?
image.png
image.png (233.2 KiB) Viewed 976 times
image.png
image.png (186.49 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:38 pm What's wrong with my (very old) TV?
Nothing that throwing a stuffed animal at it cannot fix.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

image.png

image.png
Hard for me to tell in the picture but is that a purple-ish discoloration? If so mine does that on occasion...I thought it was sign of overheating; I turn mine off and back on again and it seems to go away.
What am I, 12?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:38 am

image.png

image.png
Hard for me to tell in the picture but is that a purple-ish discoloration? If so mine does that on occasion...I thought it was sign of overheating; I turn mine off and back on again and it seems to go away.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Anyone done httpClient stuff using .netcore and C#?

ETA: I'll just go ahead and add my question to bump things up to the top:

Here's my question:

I'm dealing with an endpoint that someone else wrote a long time ago that the return looks like this:

return Ok();  
On my side, with most of the other endpoints, I know how to deal with the return values. Like with a boolean return, I'll do this:

bool result = httpClient.Post<bool>(this.Uri, request).Result;
if (result == false)
{
    Error = httpClient.LastError;
    return false;
}
return result;
But with that stupid empty Ok(), I'm not sure how to handle it on my side. And I've been looking through StackOverflow and whatnot, and not really finding an answer.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

huh...doing the edit didn't bump it to the top. I learned something already this morning!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It looks like something a server would return - a standard HTTP 200 status meaning the request succeeded. I'm no expert though and with such a small code snippet, it's hard to tell what you're looking at.
Totally Kafkaesque