OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sitting around the house has been making me crazy, so I went out for the 'Zombie' bike commute this morning (down to my building and back). Felt good (but slow), but wow....its so weird out there. Too Quiet....
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:53 am Sitting around the house has been making me crazy, so I went out for the 'Zombie' bike commute this morning (down to my building and back). Felt good (but slow), but wow....its so weird out there. Too Quiet....
With no court, or in person meetings with clients, I've been riding my bike to work. 30-40 minutes each way. It's been great.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:46 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:14 am I wouldn't rely on the scale for muscle mass calculations

that said, keeping muscle is fairly easy -- especially for a "newbie" like you (AKA, someone who hasn't been training hard and consistently for 10 years). you could work out pretty decently once a week and do an OK job maintaining

losing weight is a good problem to have to a certain extent!
I've been consistently lifting weights for 22 years. I started in law school, had a classmate I worked out with who just retired from the Marines, and he spent time as the weightlifting instructor at boot camp. He taught me form and pushed me way further than I ever would have gone. I wouldn't say I trained hard since leaving law school and the terrifying motivation of my friend, but I was almost always consistently working out over the years. I think drinking was the biggest problem with my weight, although I cut back on that heavily when my first child was born 13 years ago and I was diagnosed with a fatty liver, and I think anti-depressants caused added weight retention. Over the last year, I've seen significant improvement in the amount of weight I lift, which was a little surprising. I expected better cardio results after losing weight, but didn't think I'd get stronger. I've never pushed for big gains, and I have 2 surgically repaired shoulders, so lifting heavy often hurts my labrums before the targeted muscles when I lift heavy.
I wonder if the shoulder routine with my coach wouldn't help the shoulders.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

bfj wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:14 pm I don’t post here. Or at least I haven’t in many years.
Hi. I’m Neal. I’m a food addict. Not in a joking way either. I guess it depends on how you define addiction. To me it comes down to doing something that you know is going to kill you or ruin your life, but you do it anyway. That was me until late November 2019.

I’m a type 2 diabetic, in addition to all the other fun stuff that goes along with being obese. If you don’t know, the big # that matters to most diabetics is the A1c. That number gives you a 3 month average of where your glucose levels are. Through meds and insulin, a managed type 2 diabetic should be at an A1c of 7 or below. Late November I was a 12.7. I took meds and insulin, but ate like shit, didn’t check my sugars, etc. I ate when nobody could watch me, late at night, in my car, etc. Sounds like an alcoholic or drug addict, doesn’t it?

After my doc reamed me out, which never mattered before, I changed my mindset for the hundredth time. But for some reason this time, it has stuck (for now). In December I was 325 lbs, today I’m at 308. My A1c in November was 12.7, today it is 7.4. It has been all diet so far. I went for a 30 minute walk today and might start trying to do that more often since it’s nice out. It hurts to walk when you’re a fat load.

I fully expect to fall off the wagon soon. I know myself. This news and these numbers will trick my brain into telling me I can lighten up on my diet because I deserve a reward and that is usually when I relapse. But for now, here I am.

Im not posting here for pats on the back. Those are lovely, but they don’t give me the same brain reward as a candy bar or bag of candy bars would. I’m posting here because I don’t tell people in my daily life I’m trying to get better because I really don’t want to see the disappointment when they see me fail eventually. Deep shit for a Saturday afternoon. Apologies.
Hey bud. Really proud of you and the investment you're making for yourself and your family. Obviously you've identified some pretty deep emotional/chemical connections to food and I want to throw my .02 in and tell you something I didn't hear enough trying to break some of my harmful habits. It's OK. It's normal. And one defeat doesn't mean the battle is lost.

I truly thing the hardest thing for me in diet, in quitting chewing tobacco, in making adjustments to everyday habits was not holding myself to a gold standard of perfection in the early going. You don't have to worry about "falling off the wagon", which is something I very much struggled with with tobacco. I'd stay off dip for 2 or 3 weeks, then be on a road trip and stop and get a tin, promise myself I'd take a pinch and throw it out, then bargain and say just this can and we're back to it, and then make more and more harmful decisions because I "was off the wagon". What I should have done was recognize a mistake didn't have to set me back to zero or spiraling and make a better decision next time. If you were making a poor decision 8/10 times and now it's 2/10 times, you've made enormous progress. Your numbers sound like they're great! And I'm sure your family appreciates and notices the effort you're putting in to stay healthy for them.

Changing bad habits is hard fucking work man. You're doing great, but if and when you have a not great moment, reach out and I know a lot of guys are gonna be right here to have your back and make sure you don't go back down the hole.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

then I would (seriously) spend like 2-3 weeks doing nothing with lower than 25 reps for upper body and shoulders if you can. and it's cardio too!
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:00 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:46 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:14 am I wouldn't rely on the scale for muscle mass calculations

that said, keeping muscle is fairly easy -- especially for a "newbie" like you (AKA, someone who hasn't been training hard and consistently for 10 years). you could work out pretty decently once a week and do an OK job maintaining

losing weight is a good problem to have to a certain extent!
I've been consistently lifting weights for 22 years. I started in law school, had a classmate I worked out with who just retired from the Marines, and he spent time as the weightlifting instructor at boot camp. He taught me form and pushed me way further than I ever would have gone. I wouldn't say I trained hard since leaving law school and the terrifying motivation of my friend, but I was almost always consistently working out over the years. I think drinking was the biggest problem with my weight, although I cut back on that heavily when my first child was born 13 years ago and I was diagnosed with a fatty liver, and I think anti-depressants caused added weight retention. Over the last year, I've seen significant improvement in the amount of weight I lift, which was a little surprising. I expected better cardio results after losing weight, but didn't think I'd get stronger. I've never pushed for big gains, and I have 2 surgically repaired shoulders, so lifting heavy often hurts my labrums before the targeted muscles when I lift heavy.
I wonder if the shoulder routine with my coach wouldn't help the shoulders.
I'd be game for trying it. I went to several physical therapists over the years, though most was pre-surgery. Had tears in both labrums stitched up. Physical therapy helped with throwing and swinging a racket or bat. Before, connect on a baseball swing was searing pain, and I couldn't throw for more than 5 minutes. It took years, but I haven't had any pain or weakness throwing or playing tennis or squash in a long time. Other things, like giving a massage, is painful after about 1 minute. Weightlifting is variable. Back exercises seem to affect my shoulders the most. I've just gotten so used to it, I ignore the labrum burn and keep going.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:37 pm then I would (seriously) spend like 2-3 weeks doing nothing with lower than 25 reps for upper body and shoulders if you can. and it's cardio too!
Not a bad idea. I've done this to a degree, and 15 reps at low weight burns out the labrum, but maybe I go even lower weight. Worth a shot.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:24 pm Day 3 Shoulders & Elbows #1

Bodyweight row
You need a low bar for this, or some way to elevate your feet so that your feet are at least 3 feet or so lower than your arms. The closer to parallel you get, the harder it is. At the gym, I set a bar to about waist height on the smith rack.
5 sets of 6-10 reps

Incline Dumbbell press
5 sets of 6-10 reps.
Need an incline bench and dumbbells. you keep your hands neutral so that you can get your arms lower/a fuller stretch.

External rotation
5 sets of 6-10 reps. Really works the back of your shoulders. Don't need much weight.

Powell Raise
5 sets of 6-10 reps. Could probably do this at home on a bed or couch. I use roughly the same weight for this as I do the External Rotations

Try these. I'll post Shoulders & Elbows Day 2 as well.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shoulders & Elbows Day 2

Pushups
5 sets to burnout
You want to raise your arms off the floor in some fashion. Back when I could go to a gym, I'd put heavy dumbbells on the floor. Now, I'm using three of my kitchen chairs (one under each arm, and one under my feet). The key is to go lower than you can if you're just doing pushups on the ground. It gives you a greater range of motion.

Zottman curls
5 sets of 6-10 reps
This is more for your elbows, biceps, & brachialis

Cross Bench Pullover
5 sets of 6-10 reps
No weight target here, b/c you want the best stretch. too light =\= not enough stretch, too heavy, may cause you to shorten up.

Trap-3 Raise
5 sets of 6 with a 6 second hold at the top
Aim to get to 5% of bodyweight with the weight

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Tone those elbows! Bowflex, bitches!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

my gym is re-opening Monday. it's a combination of "time to go lift heavy shit!" and "I should not go to the gym for a couple more weeks at least"
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Still on the wagon. The scale (which I hate) read 295 this morning. That’s 30 lbs lost since November. I’m still trying to walk 30 minutes or more 4 days a week. I’m still eating the way I’m supposed to eat as a T2 diabetic. Low carbs, low sugar is a huge pain in the ass. I haven’t touched chocolate since November. In my head, it is the trigger that may start my backslide, so I won’t touch it.

I fully expect to fall off the wagon again, but for now, I’m still behaving.

Thanks for listening.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Weightlifting sure seems to be a noisy sport.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:18 pm Still on the wagon. The scale (which I hate) read 295 this morning. That’s 30 lbs lost since November. I’m still trying to walk 30 minutes or more 4 days a week. I’m still eating the way I’m supposed to eat as a T2 diabetic. Low carbs, low sugar is a huge pain in the ass. I haven’t touched chocolate since November. In my head, it is the trigger that may start my backslide, so I won’t touch it.

I fully expect to fall off the wagon again, but for now, I’m still behaving.

Thanks for listening.
That's awesome man!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

CrossFit HQ is FUCKED.

Every major sponsor AND the athletes that make the brand popular are condemning Greg Glassman's remarks.

Nearly every CrossFit licensed gym is unaffiliating ASAP. Athletes are dropping from sanctioned events. And every brand that interacts with CrossFit and their athletes are dropping CrossFit. (Reebok, Rogue, NOBULL..etc)

Furthermore, there was a group text with several athletes and one (white female) said "my n----" to another (white male) and when called said "I'm just a southern female, it's no disrespect" and the dude backed her. Fucking ridiculous in and of itself, but even worse because in the group chat is Chandler Smith. An incredible athlete, Army Captain, and...African-American.

I haven't done CrossFit in a couple years, but whoa. It was always apparent that CrossFit had a severe abundance of white people in it. That's not shocking that some of the better athletes were racist. And Glassman was always more of a cult leader to me anyway. Google the dude. He looks like haggard beach bum. The absolute opposite of athlete. So this, plus my Air Force career coming to a close next year might bring me back.

(Air Force fitness standards do not favor thick dudes. When I lift, I gain mass. And since that mass is also around my waist, I'll get points knocked off for having a >35" waist. But, due to COVID, the waist measurement is gone until 1 Oct 2021 and I don't have to take a test until April.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sabo wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:11 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:59 pm
Sabo wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:09 am Swimming as exercise is fucking exhausting.
Its not that bad...I'm just getting back into it, after my local pool was closed for 6 months for maintenance work. After a few weeks I'm back in the grove of getting up at 510am (pool opens at 530) and swimming 1500 yards (30 laps) before riding my bike to work.
Swimming is getting easier. I just swam my first mile tonight.

Not bad for someone who was getting gassed six weeks ago only doing 10 laps.
I did 350 yards at the Y today. Definitely had to rest. Definitely need to get better with my freestyle stroke.

Definitely sore right now in my legs.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Should i still be sore three days later?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Made 450 today. I need freestyle lessons. Did mostly breaststroke today but also some backstroke.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:45 am Made 450 today. I need freestyle lessons. Did mostly breaststroke today but also some backstroke.
Nice work. I think you'll be surprised how quickly you can get past 1000. Lessons are definitely a good idea. I don't have anything in particular to point you to, but I'd imagine there's some free goodness on YouTube somewhere. Maybe start there before paying for an in person lesson?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A1c number down from 7.4 to 7.2. It means the way I’m eating is making the numbers move in the right direction. My exercising has increased in frequency, but decreased in intensity. We walk as a family most days and my wife and I enjoy the time together. So I’m not really ramping up my heart rate as we walk and talk.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice work
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

500 today. Man those first 2-3 laps killed me.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

A_B wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:37 am 500 today. Man those first 2-3 laps killed me.
The Reverse Earnhardt
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The slowest of claps for you.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:48 am
A_B wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:37 am 500 today. Man those first 2-3 laps killed me.
The Reverse Earnhardt
That is...brilliant.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Reverse Earnhardt
brilliant...
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Not anywhere close to what Jhiphop has been doing this year, but for the first time in I can't remember how long, this recently completed June I ran every day of a calendar month. The shortest distance this past 30 days was 1.2 miles. So Sammy can take his 1998 June and go home.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jesus. I missed the joke above.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ran every day in May and June. Just ran a little over 7 miles, sitting on 76 days straight.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:51 am
The Reverse Earnhardt
That is...brilliant.
Seriously. That's one of the best lines in Swamp history. Bravo, good sir, bravo.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I can't even explain it, but since the start of the pandemic, I've moved two belt notches lower. I mean, I know I have lost about 17 pounds but that doesn't seem to be enough to move that much on the belt.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It’s really nice this morning and I was feeling really good so I took the long way home and made what would have been a 7 mile run into a 10.5 mile run. Not sure that I’ve ever exceeded 10 before. Only 10 minute miles, which was over a minute slower than what I usually run. Though I only run in the mornings on the weekends and I’m always slower then anyway.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:49 am It’s really nice this morning and I was feeling really good so I took the long way home and made what would have been a 7 mile run into a 10.5 mile run. Not sure that I’ve ever exceeded 10 before. Only 10 minute miles, which was over a minute slower than what I usually run. Though I only run in the mornings on the weekends and I’m always slower then anyway.
I've never run that far. Of course, I've never run 7 miles either.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:24 am I can't even explain it, but since the start of the pandemic, I've moved two belt notches lower. I mean, I know I have lost about 17 pounds but that doesn't seem to be enough to move that much on the belt.
Humblebrag

(congrats).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:51 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:24 am I can't even explain it, but since the start of the pandemic, I've moved two belt notches lower. I mean, I know I have lost about 17 pounds but that doesn't seem to be enough to move that much on the belt.
Humblebrag

(congrats).
I don’t want to drop pants size! I just bought three new pair of pants!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:01 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:51 pm
Humblebrag

(congrats).
I don’t want to drop pants size! I just bought three new pair of pants!
Had you just leaned into the stereotypes and bought overalls this wouldn’t be an issue
dem3pigs
Jackie Treehorn

Post by dem3pigs »

The Reverse Earnhardt
I am sooooo fucking glad to be back here. Had to explain to the wife what it meant as she heard me laughing harder than I’ve laughed in years. Thanks for the gum ball, Mickey!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It’s definitely a first ballot swamp hof comment.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm thinking about getting a set of adjustable dumbells like the ones pictured below. It seems like the weights are attached to the base, and when you set the dial, that amount of weights attaches to the dumbell. Seems like a great way to save space and not buy numerous sets of weights, but I'm a bit concerned on the quality and whether it feels unstable. The other issue is they are pretty damned expensive. First thing that popped up was Walmart at $1,100 which was a shock, especially from Walmart. I found some decent looking ones in the $250-$400 range, then realized that was the price for one, not a pair. Anyone used these or have a recommendation?

-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:09 pm I'm thinking about getting a set of adjustable dumbells like the ones pictured below. It seems like the weights are attached to the base, and when you set the dial, that amount of weights attaches to the dumbell. Seems like a great way to save space and not buy numerous sets of weights, but I'm a bit concerned on the quality and whether it feels unstable. The other issue is they are pretty damned expensive. First thing that popped up was Walmart at $1,100 which was a shock, especially from Walmart. I found some decent looking ones in the $250-$400 range, then realized that was the price for one, not a pair. Anyone used these or have a recommendation?

Intrigued by them, scared off by the price.