The Ringer

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: The Ringer

Post by Johnnie »

Wooooow. That's some serious tea. When it's put in the context of "only child," it makes complete sense.

I remember when he had Spike Lee on a podcast he kept interrupting him. And Spike called him on it in the moment. When I was reading Reddit or a blog about it the consensus in the comments was "Dude does that to his own father too, but none of his guests say anything to him. Complete symptom of being an only child and needing to be heard all the time."

That first hand account is a real, true behind the scenes look at how he operates. And it even touches on the aspect of his wife. How does she tolerate him?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'm biased I guess but framing that whole thing around the only child comment was a pretty stupid move. He could have left that out and made the same impact with all his other first hand accounts. Do you really want to look around at the world right now and a.) add another stereotype to the pile and b.) not leave room for the fact (oh, it's a fact) that there are hundreds of millions of selfish assholes with brothers and sisters.

I'm not saying Simmons's specific upbringing might not explain his behavior - and it was just a quote from one guy - but that if you're going to go after a target like that, why open yourself up to those obvious issues as a writer?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I think the "very good at finding out who's powerful, then cozying up to him" is a very big part of it*. It explains the power that he has/had at his various stops, be that ESPN.com, Kimmel, etc. We're talking about a guy who was taunting his former employer over Instagram about really enjoying his suspension by getting to spend his time playing golf, etc. But, he was always in with a big shot at ESPN. And he was in with Kimmel. And he turns around and exploits those relationships for power.

I have a friend who attended an NFL Sunday at Kimmel's house back when Simmons was a writer on the staff. To put it simply, the majority of the other staff writers did not like Simmons because he buddied up to Kimmel when he was at ESPN, then got offered the TV job, while they had to work and work and work to get to the point where they would just be considered for an interview for the job.

The fact that he has let his staff writers at both Grantland and Ringer just twist in the wind underscores this. His interest is only in those who have power that he can exploit. Those writers are just tools for his success, but he does not value them because they are not true paths to his power.

I imagine his wife tolerates him because he makes a shit-ton of money and she probably doesn't read his work (and rarely, if ever, did). She probably thought he was manageable (or that she could at least deal with it) while they were younger. Lots of people say lots of stupid things and people still love them. Then, the move to LA brought wealth and an entrance to celebrity circles. And more wealth. And greater celebrity. And she probably rarely has to deal with him due to his work, attending/watching games, hanging out with his friends, and whatever else.

Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't read any of his stuff since before Grantland died.

* I don't think the "only child" thing can be very fleshed out without knowing things about his childhood about his age when his parents split, when his mom re-married the guy wealthy enough to gift him a Porsche for his 16th birthday, etc. He never wrote about being a kid of privilege, but his dad's Celtics season tickets close to the floor suggests a certain level of disposable income, no matter how Simmons downplays them.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Ringer Union probably loving this one. How tone deaf can you be. This seems calculated.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:01 am I'm biased I guess but framing that whole thing around the only child comment was a pretty stupid move. He could have left that out and made the same impact with all his other first hand accounts. Do you really want to look around at the world right now and a.) add another stereotype to the pile and b.) not leave room for the fact (oh, it's a fact) that there are hundreds of millions of selfish assholes with brothers and sisters.

I'm not saying Simmons's specific upbringing might not explain his behavior - and it was just a quote from one guy - but that if you're going to go after a target like that, why open yourself up to those obvious issues as a writer?
I'm in the same boat. The idea that every (even most) only children are coddled is pretty insane. There are a lot of situations that create a one and done situation, and I can personally attest... a lot of those situations aren't ideal.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Well, my daughter is an only child, and I think it’s fair to say that she get 100% of the parental attention, that would otherwise have to be rationed out. Simple, right?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ooof. Shitty to read this thread about him being that underpaid.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Fuck the fucking Ringer.

Fuck Huffington Post and all the other sites that become profitable on the backs of low paid content creators.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:26 pm Ooof. Shitty to read this thread about him being that underpaid.

I don't know enough about journalism salaries to know how badly underpaid that is or isn't. But I was generally of the opinion that most journalists don't really make big money unless they become kind of nationally known, and most of those writers are definitely not nationally known.

And in three years from 11.50/hr to $46k isn't a bad progression, IMO, though I don't know where Samman is based or how livable that salary is.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Had to laugh while watching "Little Women" (set in 1860's).

Movie starts with Jo selling an article to a big magazine publisher for $25.

My son is currently writing articles for a car website for $25-$35 each.

An extreme example perhaps, but indicative of the value that "content creators" (aka 'Writers") have in the eyes of management.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:33 pm And in three years from 11.50/hr to $46k isn't a bad progression, IMO, though I don't know where Samman is based or how livable that salary is.
There was something else in the thread that mentioned being required to be in LA.

So $46K to live in LA is a stretch...
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:33 pmI don't know enough about journalism salaries to know how badly underpaid that is or isn't. But I was generally of the opinion that most journalists don't really make big money unless they become kind of nationally known, and most of those writers are definitely not nationally known.

And in three years from 11.50/hr to $46k isn't a bad progression, IMO, though I don't know where Samman is based or how livable that salary is.
One of the tweets in his thread said there was "a mandate to live in Los Angeles". When my wife and I moved seven years ago, we were paying $1,700/month for an apartment in a nice area, mostly due to just one rent increase in eight years and it being below market value when we moved in. Using the "one week's pay = your monthly rent" shorthand, he's at $884.62/month for rent. That is two roommate territory. A quick look shows some one bedrooms and studios going for $1400-$1500, but you often get into worse and worse neighborhoods for that.

Journalism isn't where the money is at, but it took him multiple years to get to $46K in a very expensive city.

Also, Spotify paid almost $200 million to buy Ringer and Bill Simmons owns five homes in various parts of the LA area, including a $16 million mansion that was purchased two months after the sale. Fuck him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Sometimes the laws of Supply and Demand totally suck.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:58 pm Sometimes the laws of Supply and Demand totally suck.
No fucking kidding.

It's always a buyer's market with writing.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:43 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:58 pm Sometimes the laws of Supply and Demand totally suck.
No fucking kidding.

And of course readers don't want to pay for content.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:51 pm
No fucking kidding.

It’s sad. I’ll buy books for days but yeah I don’t like paying for internet stuff.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:56 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:51 pm
No fucking kidding.

It’s sad. I’ll buy books for days but yeah I don’t like paying for internet stuff.
I think one problem is that there are still so many content providers. I subscribed to the Athletic since the beginning when it was a few Chicago guys. And I think it's important that it succeed, so I'll keep paying.

But I don't really see a strong competitor for the Athletic, so a subscription there gives me everything I need sportswise. (Well, that and the Swamp's front page.)

When it comes to political or political-social writing, though, there are just so many different sources. And newspapers. It's just not reasonable to expect people to pay $50 per year for each.

I think ultimately most of the sources will band together, and it'll either be like cable, where you pay a monthly fee but get lots of different sources, or like a ASCAP royalty system where you pay a small amount for each individual article you read.

But it's going to take a lot of turmoil to get to that point.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The weird thing (that Simmons doesn't care about, I know), is that I mourned the end of Grantland and was happy about the Ringer NOT because of his shit, but because of the writing voices lost and I hoped found when Ringer began. It wasn't about him, except, it is always about him. What a jackass.

Simmons really is the consummate douche.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And the thing is, it would be so easy for him to adopt an "I'm so lucky to have broken when I did and now I get to manage this amazing group" persona and ride them upwards but his ego can't do it. Its like that time I was watching 90210 with my cousin Sully and he mentioned the Ewing theory ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:03 pm And the thing is, it would be so easy for him to adopt an "I'm so lucky to have broken when I did and now I get to manage this amazing group" persona and ride them upwards but his ego can't do it. Its like that time I was watching 90210 with my cousin Sully and he mentioned the Ewing theory ...
It was right there for him. So, so easy. Almost Trumpian, his ability to not do the simple and right thing.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:43 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:03 pm And the thing is, it would be so easy for him to adopt an "I'm so lucky to have broken when I did and now I get to manage this amazing group" persona and ride them upwards but his ego can't do it. Its like that time I was watching 90210 with my cousin Sully and he mentioned the Ewing theory ...
It was right there for him. So, so easy. Almost Trumpian, his ability to not do the simple and right thing.
Him and Trump have a lot in common. Both born on third base and think they hit a triple for one.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I hope that one of his friends in the media publicly turns his back on him (basically by not appearing on his podcast any more, as that's the only way you can do it, from what I gather), but he doesn't really hang with small-salaried folks who don't still need him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Man a whole lot of their stuff these days comes from "contractors." That's not to say there isn't some quality, but I can't remember the last time Serrano had an article. I know he's doing podcasts more often, but I don't like the trajectory.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'm running an experiment...name me the top 5 teams you think will have the best offense in the NFL. This is imperfect, but to give it depth, rank them 1-5. Don't spend a lot of time thinking outside what you'e already done to prepare for Fantasy or just your general preseason routine. Just name me 5 teams in order. Thanks in advance.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Cincinnati
Green Bay
Tampa
Chargers
Rams
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Tampa
Cincy
Green Bay
Rams
KC
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Tampa
Buffalo
Rams
Chargers
Chiefs

(I am open to the Raiders being in the group due to the additions of Davante Adams and Josh McDaniels, who has a long history of calling pass-heavy offenses.)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rams
Bills
Chiefs
Bengals
Chargers
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Bills
Chiefs
Raiders
Bengals
Chargers

Broncos could be really good too.

Wait - that's all AFC...
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rams
Bengals
Dolphins
Bills
Tampa
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Bills
KC
Cincy
Rams
Raiders
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Bills
Chargers
Bucs
Bengals
Raiders
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The point was the ringer had an article with a deep dive analysis to figure this out, and you guys placed the top 5 teams here that were all in the top 6 of the article (actually top 6 was correct, just out of order). We were higher on cincinnati and lower on the chargers, but it wasn't rocket science.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:41 am The point was the ringer had an article with a deep dive analysis to figure this out, and you guys placed the top 5 teams here that were all in the top 6 of the article (actually top 6 was correct, just out of order). We were higher on cincinnati and lower on the chargers, but it wasn't rocket science.
Kind of like those fantasy football articles where they say, “You should definitely start [superstar] this week!” Duh.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I love me some Shea Serrano, but since he barely writes anymore, I'm not biting on the buy the book or get unsubscribed. It's a strange marketing ploy. I have all of his books but the coloring book and I've enjoyed them, but I don't wanna pay $10 for one short story. Pretty sure I said this the last time he did one, too.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I would have pre-ordered on the spot for Marcus Weinerpunch.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:28 am I love me some Shea Serrano, but since he barely writes anymore, I'm not biting on the buy the book or get unsubscribed. It's a strange marketing ploy. I have all of his books but the coloring book and I've enjoyed them, but I don't wanna pay $10 for one short story. Pretty sure I said this the last time he did one, too.
I mean, in fairness, you can probably sign back up with the free pdf if you want, so I sort of doubt it's actually all that serious. I do have him muted on twitter until it comes out though.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

blundercrush wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:15 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:28 am I love me some Shea Serrano, but since he barely writes anymore, I'm not biting on the buy the book or get unsubscribed. It's a strange marketing ploy. I have all of his books but the coloring book and I've enjoyed them, but I don't wanna pay $10 for one short story. Pretty sure I said this the last time he did one, too.
I mean, in fairness, you can probably sign back up with the free pdf if you want, so I sort of doubt it's actually all that serious. I do have him muted on twitter until it comes out though.
he got me! I didn't order, but he wasn't serious about the purge. shew.