Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by P.D.X. »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:28 pm
Really all the sports should cancel their Florida plans and point to this.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can’t fail capitalism, baby.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

How dare Hillary call these people deplorable.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:11 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:23 pmYes, but why do we think social unrest will somehow persuade the Republicans to do something?
Look at all that social unrest has done in the past month? So if that's the only path, make that the path and actually fight with the people. And not just because you have a primary ; ) Support the public in "not dying" until its untenable for the other side.
The two questions I have in light of this discussion are:

A. How many participants, and what duration, would a general strike need to have to get enough GOP Senators to turn on Trump?

B. How many people would participate in a prolonged general strike if Democratic leadership called for one right now?

Because based on the sheer number of people we’ve seen in the streets this past month (and at the Women’s March), I suspect we’re a lot closer to B>A than people realize—and perhaps even there already.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:22 pm Nevada just made masks mandatory in all inside public spaces.
Washington announced that yesterday. Numbers are going up again, mostly driven by Yakima (big meat packing plant there), but also in King County.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The AllinWa telecast tonight was awesome. Very well done, and I love how the local acts (Pearl Jam, Brandi Carlile, Ben Gibbard, Head and the Heart, Macklemore) all came together for the event.

And special thanks to Sir Mix-A-Lot...for the Sonics love (he held up the jersey and said 'Bring them back...we deserve this).

And Macklemore's kids are super cute:

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:55 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:11 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:23 pmYes, but why do we think social unrest will somehow persuade the Republicans to do something?
Look at all that social unrest has done in the past month? So if that's the only path, make that the path and actually fight with the people. And not just because you have a primary ; ) Support the public in "not dying" until its untenable for the other side.
And not as important right now, but if they take the Senate or the presidency while holding the house, there should be zero across the aisle or compromise bullshit as long as the senate is made up of his current enablers. If they're truly powerless to do anything right now, turn that around later.
FULL AGREEMENT.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

NY/NJ/CT impose quarantine rules on visitors from states with big outbreaks
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas and Utah.

Washington State had originally been included, but after a further review of the data, it was dropped from the list.
My buddy and his family (this guy) left for their house in Hilton Head this past Monday. They drove down (and are leaving a car at the house just to have there) and were planning on flying home late next week. Plus HHI is apparently "a zoo".

I was talking to him last weekend and he was pretty unconcerned about a "second wave". At least in NY/NJ. It seemed like much of that opinion was based on the fact that they've done tens of thousands of temp checks since they reopened their offices and barely anyone has had a fever.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:29 am NY/NJ/CT impose quarantine rules on visitors from states with big outbreaks
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas and Utah.

Washington State had originally been included, but after a further review of the data, it was dropped from the list.
My buddy and his family (this guy) left for their house in Hilton Head this past Monday. They drove down (and are leaving a car at the house just to have there) and were planning on flying home late next week. Plus HHI is apparently "a zoo".

I was talking to him last weekend and he was pretty unconcerned about a "second wave". At least in NY/NJ. It seemed like much of that opinion was based on the fact that they've done tens of thousands of temp checks since they reopened their offices and barely anyone has had a fever.
How many temp checks has he done of the tens of thousands in HH?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

None! I missed the fact that the PGA was down there last week and didn't realize how bad things were on the island itself.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:39 am None! I missed the fact that the PGA was down there last week and didn't realize how bad things were on the island itself.
And several of the PGA guys now positive for Covid...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:41 am
rass wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:39 am None! I missed the fact that the PGA was down there last week and didn't realize how bad things were on the island itself.
Yeah. Their place is like a two-minute walk from Harbour Town. Ugh.

Back in March or April we were seriously discussing going to stay down there for a week if we weren't able to get a shore house in NJ (or weren't comfortable doing so). Even if it wasn't clear at that time that this area would do a pretty great job flattening the curve, we should have foreseen these other states calmly walking into their own outbreaks.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Citizen responds to Palm Beach County's decision to make masks mandatory.

Epic level of bat shit crazy here!

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I bet Syb is in love.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:29 am NY/NJ/CT impose quarantine rules on visitors from states with big outbreaks

I am already excited to see where Wisconsin's rates are in eight weeks.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:55 am
tennbengal wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:41 am
Yeah. Their place is like a two-minute walk from Harbour Town. Ugh.

Back in March or April we were seriously discussing going to stay down there for a week if we weren't able to get a shore house in NJ (or weren't comfortable doing so). Even if it wasn't clear at that time that this area would do a pretty great job flattening the curve, we should have foreseen these other states calmly walking into their own outbreaks.
We were thinking the same thing, though I'd always steer clear of HHI. It's always packed and over priced. We used to go to Pawley's Island every year (actually a resort called Litchfield north of Pawley's.)

And back then, it really wasn't prevalent down there. Now we're totally rethinking things. What a shitshow.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:01 am We were thinking the same thing, though I'd always steer clear of HHI. It's always packed and over priced.
Free house, owner's perks in the resort, and a great location usually make up for having to hang out on the water and wait for a table. Highly recommended in non-pandemic years if you can swing it!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Free house makes up for just about any nuisance. Agreed.

We enjoyed our trip there, but it was a spring break, so the crowds were reasonable. But it was still pretty crowded and I remarked a couple of times that traffic and restaurant waits must be a 'mare during the season.

Just saying, the golfers calling the island a zoo jibes with my sense of how it must be during the summer. I really don't like crowded beaches... like, at all.

The reason we wound up going to Litchfield for over a decade is the resort set-up ensured a fairly empty beach. We've switched now to beaches around Wilmington, being sure to look at google map to ensure there's not a ton of houses with access to our location.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Looks like 2 or 3 hours less of a drive (vs HHI) coming from the north. That doesn't hurt.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:05 am I bet Syb is in love.
I have a couple ideas of what you are getting at here, curious to know your actual angle on this one.

[she actually looks a lot like my law school friend I moved to Hoboken with after law school. I've mentioned that the retired CIA Agent who did my background investigation refused to believe I wasn't romantically interested in her, and peppered questions about that to all of my Hoboken-based friends he interviewed. He hasn't gotten to you, has he?]
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Yeah I guess my plan to come visit all you guys is going to have to wait.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:26 am
rass wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:05 am I bet Syb is in love.
I have a couple ideas of what you are getting at here, curious to know your actual angle on this one.

[she actually looks a lot like my law school friend I moved to Hoboken with after law school. I've mentioned that the retired CIA Agent who did my background investigation refused to believe I wasn't romantically interested in her, and peppered questions about that to all of my Hoboken-based friends he interviewed. He hasn't gotten to you, has he?]
That sounds like a Rom-Com starring Chris Pratt and Alison Brie.

C.I.Amore.

In theaters this fall.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:27 am

Yeah I guess my plan to come visit all you guys is going to have to wait.
Trump is visiting Bedminster this weekend, and they aren[t making him quarantine despite coming from his maskless rally in Arizona, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

While all signs remain great in NJ, I do still think there will be a second wave. The longer we go with positive trends, people will start acting more recklessly and stop wearing masks. I'm already seeing rapid decline in precautions. Plus, as people start returning to work, more stores open, schools (possibly) reopen, there will be a second wave.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Joe K wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:49 pmB. How many people would participate in a prolonged general strike if Democratic leadership called for one right now?
See, I have to think this figure is around ten people. Maybe eleven.

I don't see much overlap between the kind of people who are even willing to participate in a general strike over federal funding for Covid testing and the kind of people who are willing to follow directions from Democratic leadership. People are out there in the streets because police violence against Black folks is immediate and dangerous and disgusting and unfair. The plan to stop federal funding of 13 testing sites in five states isn't nearly as compelling.

I kinda think a general strike would be more likely to harm people at the lower ends of the economic spectrum than it would to harm the people the Republicans would care about. Am I wrong about that?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:26 am Just an otherwise relatively cute right-wing nutjob. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else favoring the term "hate fuck".
Just an otherwise relatively cute right-wing nutjob. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else favoring the term "hate fuck".
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

To be fair to him, I should expand on this. Dude is the smartest guy I know and a very conscientious doctor so I don't want to sell him short. His belief is that the virus has basically already run rampant up here, and that pretty much everyone has already been exposed. Not that it magically went away and magically won't come back.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:29 pm Trump is going all in on his "joke" to reduce cases by reducing testing.

“We really have to credit the Commander in Chief on this one,” said Gen. Mark Milley, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. “He thinks very differently than we do in the military. Last week I mentioned to him how important it is that we deal with these issues, especially in light of what is going on across America. He replied, ‘Without those climate surveys, we would have very little racism or sexism.’ I was blown away.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I am officially flying to New Mexico on July 5, for my mother's surgery. Not looking forward to the trip, guys.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:33 am
Joe K wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:49 pmB. How many people would participate in a prolonged general strike if Democratic leadership called for one right now?
See, I have to think this figure is around ten people. Maybe eleven.

I don't see much overlap between the kind of people who are even willing to participate in a general strike over federal funding for Covid testing and the kind of people who are willing to follow directions from Democratic leadership. People are out there in the streets because police violence against Black folks is immediate and dangerous and disgusting and unfair. The plan to stop federal funding of 13 testing sites in five states isn't nearly as compelling.

I kinda think a general strike would be more likely to harm people at the lower ends of the economic spectrum than it would to harm the people the Republicans would care about. Am I wrong about that?
Just in my one neighborhood of St. Louis I saw dozens of people form a motorcade protest against the start of economic reopening last month, because they were concerned about COVID. And our local leadership has been far more cautious and responsible than Trump. So I think the amount of people nationwide who are passionately opposed to what Trump is doing is pretty high. To your second point, the reason why there seems to be little overlap between activists and Democratic leadership is because Democratic leadership is largely averse to activist tactics. But as Mr. D pointed out, it doesn't have to be that way.

As to the idea of a general strike, it's obviously a major critical mass issue. If it's too small then yeah, the GOP wouldn't care and it'd largely hurt the little guy. But if millions or tens of millions of people said fuck it, I'm not coming into work this week, that would definitely get the attention of the corporate interests that GOP Senators answer to. The Senate already knows that Trump's an erratic idiot, but they support him because they think he serves their interests better than the alternative. If a sufficiently large general strike crippled large segments of the economy, I really think that calculus would change. It's a very risky tactic, but if the Democratic Party really thought that Trump was an existential threat to this country, as they often claim, isn't it something they need to at least consider rather than resigning themselves to Mitch McConnell's control over the Senate?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:50 am I am officially flying to New Mexico on July 5, for my mother's surgery. Not looking forward to the trip, guys.
I'm sorry, man. I'll be in quarantine, so I can't even do anything not immediately in the vicinity of my house.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

We're #1!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I think we can put those MLS and NBA tournaments to bed now.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

A warning from South Korea: the ‘fantasy’ of returning to normal life

Korea is barely managing. I don't think North Americans are ready for this. People will not wear masks, not take precautions and 4th of July will be a disaster. Then going back to school in September will be the next disaster. Then Thanksgiving and so on....

Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That was a bit sobering degen...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Agreed, though we all need to realize there is no "back to normal" without a vaccine and/or herd immunity. So think maybe this time next year if we're lucky, most likely towards the beginning of 2022.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

rass wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:41 am That was a bit sobering degen...
No kidding.
Son Young-rae, a health ministry spokesperson, says it has become clear that the “only viable option” to enable economic activity to return while the virus persists is to “harmonise our daily lives with containment efforts”.

“People’s co-operation is essential for successful containment,” he says. “It is very important that citizens, businesses and institutions follow the rules.”
In other words, America is utterly fucked.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Or we just stop testing, and the number of cases drops! This is easy, guys.
-Pruitt
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Yup, FYIGM, NIMBY, leaving the house, vacations, white privilege, polarization. all this together will kill North America. Just went back and read the story about DSafetyGuy's son's kindergarten teacher again. Parents like that are going to fuck everything up in September.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:50 am I am officially flying to New Mexico on July 5, for my mother's surgery. Not looking forward to the trip, guys.
Me: Mom, it’s a long way from your home to the airport. So I can just get an Uber to your house when I arrive.
Mother: No, no, your father and I will come pick you up. We’ll eat dinner at a restaurant on the way home.
Me: Actually, mom, I’m not comfortable eating at a restaurant. Why don’t we just get takeout and eat it at home.
Mother: OK, fine. Just take your damned Uber.

Oh, yeah. Looking forward to this...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian