Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:56 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:50 am I am officially flying to New Mexico on July 5, for my mother's surgery. Not looking forward to the trip, guys.
Me: Mom, it’s a long way from your home to the airport. So I can just get an Uber to your house when I arrive.
Mother: No, no, your father and I will come pick you up. We’ll eat dinner at a restaurant on the way home.
Me: Actually, mom, I’m not comfortable eating at a restaurant. Why don’t we just get takeout and eat it at home.
Mother: OK, fine. Just take your damned Uber.

Oh, yeah. Looking forward to this...
Oh dear.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My parents are like 80% on the correct side of safety and I’m still convinced they want us to kill them just so they can see their two granddaughters wrestle and argue in person.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:53 pm My parents are like 80% on the correct side of safety and I’m still convinced they want us to kill them just so they can see their two granddaughters wrestle and argue in person.
I was just on the phone yesterday with a client down in Boca Raton (from NYC originally) who told me "I'm old. If I die, fuck it."
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Mom, it’s a long way from your home to the airport. So I can just get an Uber to your house when I arrive.
(song notes)

I got to praise you like I should!

I got to praise you!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

God fucking dammit, TB.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:13 pm God fucking dammit, TB.
You are welcome.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Walked to the supermarket with my wife yesterday to grab a couple of things (giving up the convenience of a well-stocked supermarket right up the street has low key been one of the most difficult day in day out changes for me). Everyone in masks, but I was amazed at the number of people who needed to move them out of place to read labels...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

We went to kroger. Kid counted over 40 people not wearing masks.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I legit enjoy grocery shopping so going every other week versus every other day or three is a big adjustment. I am a hero.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:59 pm I legit enjoy grocery shopping so going every other week versus every other day or three is a big adjustment. I am a hero.
Same except I still go at least weekly. I'm a hero for our family personally keeping several restaurants in business since March.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:51 pm We went to kroger. Kid counted over 40 people not wearing masks.
mask mandate kicks in here today. can't come soon enough. I run to the store a couple times a week (usually during non-peak times) and it's been staggering how few people wear masks.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm up here in Mass., dropped off The Boy at his apartment in Boston so he can start the process of packing it up. He came home for spring break at the end of February and never came back.

Anyways, wife and I rented this nice little place near Westport. The owner met us to walk around and show us stuff. Seemed weirded out and annoyed that we wanted to wear a mask. We were definitely put off by it. When we went into town to shop, I'd say 95 percent were wearing masks, so that was a huge relief.

Went to Newton to explore yesterday, and HOLY SHIT it was crowded. Most people in masks, but still around 10-15 percent MAGA assholes walking around, daring someone to say something I guess. Had a nice lobster roll from a place near the Long Wharf and drove back to our little oasis. We'll find out in a few days how things are going in New Bedford.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:32 am
A_B wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:51 pm We went to kroger. Kid counted over 40 people not wearing masks.
mask mandate kicks in here today. can't come soon enough. I run to the store a couple times a week (usually during non-peak times) and it's been staggering how few people wear masks.
Mask mandate here too. Went to the corner store and they had huge signs indicating as such as well as they were not doing any cash transactions. The guy in front of me paid in cash without a mask. Shrug.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

We're moving backwards here in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh). Bars are ordered closed and restaurants cannot serve alcohol on site.

Most people around here are wearing masks. Last weekend at Lowe's, the only people I saw not wearing them were younger (20s) people. Was in Keyser, WV the weekend of the 20th and it was funny, the workers were all wearing masks, but very few of the customers were.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Oh, forgot to mention... On the drive up 95, we decided it would be "safer" to stop in Jersey to gas up. Got off at a rest stop and not thinking much of which pump I pulled up to, got in straight away and... Dude pumping gas isn't wearing a fucking mask. I swear, I almost just drove off. Put my mask on and handed him my card, but, just..

WHAT. THE. FUCK. He's going to be coming in contact with hundreds, maybe a thousand people. Put on a fucking mask.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

At what point will it be okay to just start flipping people off who are going without a mask? For me that was 2 weeks ago at a Wawa in Delaware.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pretty clear now that bars, restaurants, theaters, and other indoor venues for crowds (like churches) are a huge problem if anyone therein is positive and unmasked.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

A mask won't save you. If you are in a room with someone that has it and has a mask on, you still get it. The level of offense taken is about as bad as those who don't choose to wear. When the govt tells you for months that you don't need it and that somehow my daughter's cloth is sufficient, you know they are full of shit. So I think you all are going a little bit crazy here when you still have no concept of how well or badly it's protecting you (and others I know). Entirely possible that messing around with a dirty mask gets you sick. Also entirely possible it gives you confidence to take higher risks than you would without a mask. Pretty clear to me it's mostly mental. A good signal to others that you take covid seriously when not everyone does. People react to you differently masked and give more space.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

It's not just a mask, it's a mask in combination with all the other preventative measures. Pointing this out this far in depresses me.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 am A mask won't save you. If you are in a room with someone that has it and has a mask on, you still get it. The level of offense taken is about as bad as those who don't choose to wear. When the govt tells you for months that you don't need it and that somehow my daughter's cloth is sufficient, you know they are full of shit. So I think you all are going a little bit crazy here when you still have no concept of how well or badly it's protecting you (and others I know). Entirely possible that messing around with a dirty mask gets you sick. Also entirely possible it gives you confidence to take higher risks than you would without a mask. Pretty clear to me it's mostly mental. A good signal to others that you take covid seriously when not everyone does. People react to you differently masked and give more space.
Jesus christ, man. Strong disagree.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:28 am It's not just a mask, it's a mask in combination with all the other preventative measures. Pointing this out this far in depresses me.
We are so fucked.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:35 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 am A mask won't save you. If you are in a room with someone that has it and has a mask on, you still get it. The level of offense taken is about as bad as those who don't choose to wear. When the govt tells you for months that you don't need it and that somehow my daughter's cloth is sufficient, you know they are full of shit. So I think you all are going a little bit crazy here when you still have no concept of how well or badly it's protecting you (and others I know). Entirely possible that messing around with a dirty mask gets you sick. Also entirely possible it gives you confidence to take higher risks than you would without a mask. Pretty clear to me it's mostly mental. A good signal to others that you take covid seriously when not everyone does. People react to you differently masked and give more space.
Jesus christ, man. Strong disagree.
I get it. But this guy is talking about flipping a stranger off because someone feels this way. And they might be right. So point is quit being so indignant. The mask is not likely the determining factor anyway.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No one is harmed by a mask and you don't get to have "feelings" about pandemic prevention. You either follow all guidelines, even the ones you hate, or you're a selfish asshole.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:09 pm No one is harmed by a mask and you don't get to have "feelings" about pandemic prevention. You either follow all guidelines, even the ones you hate, or you're a selfish asshole.
What if you live in an area where the the laws don't require a mask in public?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Then enjoy the outbreak later on? No one can still be unaware at this point, right?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Mask mandate for the county I live starting tomorrow. Fear it is too late, but pleased that it is happening. Not often that the county leans away from the far right.
County I work, no mask mandate. Very unusual as it is the only red county in north central Indiana.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

NJ was set to resume indoor dining (with restrictions) later this week, the governor just postponed it indefinitely.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hard to imagine which specific demographics caused this.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We're never escaping this...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wife said the NJ state health department mentioned something along these lines on a call yesterday, that some studies are showing 6 months or less until re-infection might be possible. Not sure if that came from the same single Chinese report.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:06 pm
Oh, fuck. A close friend from college retired from the Army several years ago to go to nursing school. She graduated and has been working in a hospital COVID unit. She was called up as a reservist and sent to Ft. Bragg a week or two ago. Has to be a coincidence, I don't give the Army credit for being that organized and prepared. Not sure what she was called to Ft. Bragg for, but probably not in a nursing capacity.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Southwest Washington city discourages July 4 event, but organizer says he’s ‘ready to die for this’
Wood and his fellow organizers have been planning an ambitious Fourth of July gathering at Lake Sacajawea ever since the Go 4th Festival Committee canceled the annual three-day celebration about two months ago. Due to state COVID-19 restrictions on gatherings, city officials have stressed that Wood’s event is not permitted, but they have not moved to shut it down or to forcibly stop organizers.
It gets better/worse...
But the event received perhaps its biggest boost this month when organizers announced country music star Lee Greenwood will perform. Greenwood is set to play at 7 p.m. Saturday, according to his concert schedule on Facebook.
Yep...willing to die...for Lee fucking Greenwood...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Lee Greenwood getting COVID and dying after playing a show on July 4 would be just <chef's kiss>
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Get COVID-19, My Ass (I Won't Get COVID-19)"
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

rass wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:42 am

Wife said the NJ state health department mentioned something along these lines on a call yesterday, that some studies are showing 6 months or less until re-infection might be possible. Not sure if that came from the same single Chinese report.
How much more do we really need though. Two months might be a little skinny but six would get it down for almost everyone.
They'll be a vaccine by spring or even October. Doesn't seem like too many will get it twice if only 5-10% have it now