The Important Sounds of Things Falling Apart

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: The Important Sounds of Things Falling Apart

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:13 pm this is a good look at how Missouri's laws -- and their street potentially being considered "private" -- play into the stupidity

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/cri ... -top-story
My mind is so blown that their house is only valued $1.15 million I can't retain the rest of the words in that article.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:35 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:13 pm this is a good look at how Missouri's laws -- and their street potentially being considered "private" -- play into the stupidity

My mind is so blown that their house is only valued $1.15 million I can't retain the rest of the words in that article.
Right?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:49 pm

Right?
I mean, that stone railing has to be at least $1.5 million.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:53 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:49 pm

Right?
I mean, that stone railing has to be at least $1.5 million.
That's at least $7 million here.

Unreal.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Huge tax dodge.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the renovation of that mansion came in 2018 -- possibly before any new appraisal record by the county was updated

and the way that taxes are calculated in this state is kinda odd with house values. my previous house was valued way less than what it sold for at the end of the year and then the same goes for the house we bought. houses that are decades old are not seen as worth as much as new construction.

so yeah, what I'm saying is that house sure as hell isn't $1.15M, especially in the CWE. But could it be "appraised" at that according to tax records? certainly possible.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We need a push for the Caren Doctrine, where the C stands for Cunt and the rest of the acronym we can clean up in post editing.

It would allow for the immediate arrest of people like this, on the grounds that they are being cunts. Who's with me? Who will send me $22 dollars to my kickfundme to launch this movement!?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:20 am the renovation of that mansion came in 2018 -- possibly before any new appraisal record by the county was updated

and the way that taxes are calculated in this state is kinda odd with house values. my previous house was valued way less than what it sold for at the end of the year and then the same goes for the house we bought. houses that are decades old are not seen as worth as much as new construction.

so yeah, what I'm saying is that house sure as hell isn't $1.15M, especially in the CWE. But could it be "appraised" at that according to tax records? certainly possible.
Gotcha, same thing here. A million dollar house would list with a tax appraised value of maybe $500,000, with land at $200,000 house at $300,000. I never understood what that meant, but it's a way of comparing values to slice up the tax burden, not an actual assessment of the land. Didn't mean to derail the conversation with this.

Back on point, I wish the guy was wearing a yacht captain hat, that would have been the perfect accessory to the outfit.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:47 am Back on point, I wish the guy was wearing a yacht captain hat, that would have been the perfect accessory to the outfit.
So....you gotta see the lawyer the Lawyer hired to represent them...

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Well, you wouldn't expect them to get Ron Kuby.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

When not practicing law, Michael practices soccer, operates an eBay store, reads less than he should, collects Criterion films and obsesses over Ferraris and the St. Louis Cardinals. He’s just like any other man, only more so.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In an interview with Fox News, McCloskey, 63, said, “My black clients love us.”
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The mayor of Seoul is missing.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:09 am The mayor of Seoul is missing.
Sounds Ominous
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Found dead.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So those homeowners in St Louis?

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I just hope that if I ever do something bad, the neighbors all tell the press “he seemed so quiet” rather than “oh yeah, i got some stories”
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

When I see that guy, I only think of Nathan Lane doing a pass poor Tony Montana.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:57 am When I see that guy, I only think of Nathan Lane doing a pass poor Tony Montana.
So funny, and all I will ever see now.

I'm not defending these people at all, I immediately fell into believing they are horrible people, and I haven't changed that opinion, but the article DiS posted in way over the top and sensationalism. From what I gather, they are attempting to claim adverse possession over a patch of lawn in their neighborhood. Sorry if I'm explaining something everyone knows, but that is when you solely use and control a piece of property for a you don't own for a statutorily proscribed time, you can claim ownership of the property. It bothered me when the author said they filed a suit "asserting squatter’s rights on land they’ve occupied openly and hostilely — their terms — and claimed as their own." Open and hostile (or in some states notorious) are legal terms required to claim adverse possession. Hostile doesn't mean what it does in the layman's words here, they are claiming they violently own the land. It means you are on the land against the owner's rights, as in without their permission. They are required to keep others off the land in order to claim possession. They forbid someone from fixing a wall, because if the other party fixed the wall, they would lose their claim to solely controlling the property. Using the past lawsuits is very disingenuous because adverse possession isn't a horrible evil plot. Hell, if I stay in my house long enough, I'm claiming adverse possession on land, as my pre-existing fence goes way past my property line onto a municipal land. I doubt I'll be here long enough, but if I am, free land! Of course, taxes would go up, so maybe I wouldn't file until I was ready to sell.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So in order to gain possession of common property, they had to aggressively fight to keep other people off that common property?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:37 am So in order to gain possession of common property, they had to aggressively fight to keep other people off that common property?
The idea is that once they have "openly and notoriously" exercised power over it for a certain number of years - including paying taxes on it - it's not common property anymore, it's theirs.

Syb, you could look at any one lawsuit and probably excuse or justify it. But when people are as litigious as that couple is, it invariably means they are assholes.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I do get where Syb is coming from, though. It's annoying when jargon or industry terms get taken out of context.

Catastrophic failure is an engineering term that essentially means total failure of... a thing. Like a water main burst is considered a catastrophic failure.

I had the chief engineer talking about catastrophic failures of pipes in neighborhood communities and the press and those living in those communities were freaking the fuck out. Took some convincing to get that department to be more careful with that phrase in public.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So would you consider their use of that phrase to be a ...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:29 am
mister d wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:37 am So in order to gain possession of common property, they had to aggressively fight to keep other people off that common property?
The idea is that once they have "openly and notoriously" exercised power over it for a certain number of years - including paying taxes on it - it's not common property anymore, it's theirs.

Syb, you could look at any one lawsuit and probably excuse or justify it. But when people are as litigious as that couple is, it invariably means they are assholes.
I should have finished reading the article before posting. I was triggered by the author's misunderstanding, but was more persuaded by the asshole smashing up a Hebrew School's beehive they were using to make honey for Rosh Hashana, then leaving the destruction and demanding the Hebrew School clean it up. I skimmed the rest, but yeah, that is an awful lot of lawsuits, some frivolous and probably harassing.

I don't think NJ requires paying taxes on land to adversely possess, but if it does, my scheme is foiled. I would think you can't adversely possess from a government entity, but NJ makes exceptions when it isn't set aside for public use. My property in question is set for a right of way for the electric company, but they use the land on the other side of the wires, and don't mow the land behind my fence. I'll let you know what happens in 30 years...
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:23 pm So would you consider their use of that phrase to be a ...
Bad idea, yes.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Clearly, the McCloskeys are the victims here.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Federal law enforcement officers have been using unmarked vehicles to drive around downtown Portland and detain protesters since at least July 14. Personal accounts and multiple videos posted online show the officers driving up to people, detaining individuals with no explanation of why they are being arrested, and driving off.
https://www.opb.org/news/article/federa ... 4w.twitter
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It’s absolutely secret police type shit. East Germany after the wall type stuff.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, this feels like a new #1 on the list of "stop worrying about Trump so much, we have laws and checks and balances that will keep him in line".
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:18 am Yeah, this feels like a new #1 on the list of "stop worrying about Trump so much, we have laws and checks and balances that will keep him in line".
Senators and courts, too!
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Will Biden dismantle and empower states to prosecute these secret police types if he's elected president?

When did this secret police start? Who are they? Why do they exist? What 'three letter' do they fall under?

This shit is ridiculous.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:26 pm Will Biden dismantle and empower states to prosecute these secret police types if he's elected president?

When did this secret police start? Who are they? Why do they exist? What 'three letter' do they fall under?

This shit is ridiculous.
I have one theory.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

My theory:
They're trying desperately to find 'proof' of organized antifa activity to provide ammo for trump and justify harsh anti-terrorist tactics.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Not only do cops get miliary hand-me-down vehicles, but they also get miliary hand-me-down clothes. How cute.

STOLEN VALOR
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Chatter I'm hearing from Portland is that they're Academi (Blackwater).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Dry run to see if they’re the right ones to protect when he refuses to leave the White House after a loss?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:08 pm Dry run to see if they’re the right ones to protect when he refuses to leave the White House after a loss?
Oh my God. I should've realized that.

Honestly, if that's the case, I'd hope that they'd be labeled domestic terrorists due to attempting to commit an insurrection and the full force of actual miliary assets could eliminate them.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:34 am
mister d wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:08 pm Dry run to see if they’re the right ones to protect when he refuses to leave the White House after a loss?

Honestly, if that's the case, I'd hope that they'd be labeled domestic terrorists due to attempting to commit an insurrection and the full force of actual miliary assets could eliminate them.
Generals already signaled they won't put up with Trump's bullshit when they publicly and proactively refused to be used against protesters.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:08 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:34 am

Generals already signaled they won't put up with Trump's bullshit when they publicly and proactively refused to be used against protesters.
That doesn't mean that Trump won't use ICE and border patrol. Those guys have already signaled they will put up with Trump's bullshit and carry his water.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian