The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Post by Giff »

So is there like a specific spot to go to in order to get the virus? I know Texas has been surging lately, but I've only seen the testing sites, not the deliberate infection sites. Do they have someone who is positive sneeze in your face or what?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:51 am So is there like a specific spot to go to in order to get the virus? I know Texas has been surging lately, but I've only seen the testing sites, not the deliberate infection sites. Do they have someone who is positive sneeze in your face or what?
You can start by making out with Kimberly Guilfoyle, if you don't mind the taste of Don Jr. on her.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I do.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:07 amI do.
Yeah, don't blame you. Maybe hit up some frat parties in Washington and make out with the brothers? Not ideal, but I'm just spitballin' here.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Maybe Herman Cain can sneeze on some Godfather's pizza for me?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:21 am Maybe Herman Cain can sneeze on some Godfather's pizza for me?
Naw, you need to spend a long day on a road trip, just the two of you, windows rolled up, talking.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

School re-opening came up at a small, distanced gathering Saturday night. They're going to have to drop recess, gym, and everyone will have to eat in their classrooms (good chance of packed lunch for everyone, too). Art would have to come to each classroom instead of using the art room and library has to be changed, probably including reducing from every week to every other week. No buses, probably no after school activities through the school or parent organization.

As far as upper grades where children have different schedules and go to different rooms? No idea where to begin on that unless they adopt a schedule where you only do something like two classes per day and each class lasts three hours with time for cleaning in between, but what do you do with all the kids that window?

Kids have made it through one week of camp so far with limited size groups and so on. We'll see how that progresses.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

My 14 year old made a good point. If they had them stop going to school when there were no cases in the county (only confirmed cases at the time were in Marion (Indy) and some surrounding counties. Now they want to open schools when there are more confirmed cases and with the stupidity of most people it keeps spreading (faster than it previously had).

My wife is a teacher and she is none too happy with the idea of having everything done in the classroom. No breaks what so ever from the students. It is unfathomable. And as far as the older kids, I have no idea how they are going to do with passing periods. Let alone schools with over 800 students. There is just no way that students will be able to keep social distancing.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

duff wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:53 am My 14 year old made a good point. If they had them stop going to school when there were no cases in the county (only confirmed cases at the time were in Marion (Indy) and some surrounding counties. Now they want to open schools when there are more confirmed cases and with the stupidity of most people it keeps spreading (faster than it previously had).

My wife is a teacher and she is none too happy with the idea of having everything done in the classroom. No breaks what so ever from the students. It is unfathomable. And as far as the older kids, I have no idea how they are going to do with passing periods. Let alone schools with over 800 students. There is just no way that students will be able to keep social distancing.
That's my biggest issue. Our high school has over 1,800 students. They've discussed splitting into pods and each student only on campus two days a week.

But here's another thing that is unusual for us. My youngest actually prefers to go back to in class. Hasn't seen his friends in months because he is so vigilant about distancing but is now just craving human interaction I think. Plus he didn't love virtual learning. It was very difficult at times, although he did end up with strong grades this semester.

(And yes, this is a pronoun change for those that know the family situation in the AB household. I'm not always good about it, but I'm trying.)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Congrats dad. Sounds like you've managed to hold the family together. I'm sure that's more often handled very poorly.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:06 am
duff wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:53 am My 14 year old made a good point. If they had them stop going to school when there were no cases in the county (only confirmed cases at the time were in Marion (Indy) and some surrounding counties. Now they want to open schools when there are more confirmed cases and with the stupidity of most people it keeps spreading (faster than it previously had).

That's my biggest issue. Our high school has over 1,800 students. They've discussed splitting into pods and each student only on campus two days a week.

But here's another thing that is unusual for us. My youngest actually prefers to go back to in class. Hasn't seen his friends in months because he is so vigilant about distancing but is now just craving human interaction I think. Plus he didn't love virtual learning. It was very difficult at times, although he did end up with strong grades this semester.

(And yes, this is a pronoun change for those that know the family situation in the AB household. I'm not always good about it, but I'm trying.)
Every day it gets easier to get the pronouns right. Let me know if I can offer you any support.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:43 am

Every day it gets easier to get the pronouns right. Let me know if I can offer you any support.
I didn't realize the change until you pointed it out. Way to go man. Same here if we can help with anything at all.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

This is terrifying to me to be honest. I really don't know the way forward here for education. You're exactly right. How do you social distance on a bus/in a classroom? Even if the young aren't especially susceptible, they'll carry it home to those who are. And the staff...teachers/custodians/maintenance/admin...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:43 am

Ha (/Sha)
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good on you, AB. There's a kid in my oldest's class who did this between K and 1st and best we can tell everyone has been completely cool.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Harvard is going all online for 2020-2021.

I'm not linking to a clown's tweet announcing it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good on you for being supportive, AB. Im sure it's not that easy.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:06 am(And yes, this is a pronoun change for those that know the family situation in the AB household. I'm not always good about it, but I'm trying.)
This bolded part is like 95 percent of the game, no?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:47 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:06 am(And yes, this is a pronoun change for those that know the family situation in the AB household. I'm not always good about it, but I'm trying.)
This bolded part is like 95 percent of the game, no?
It's a big part of it, yes. And thanks, guys, didn't mean to threadjack at all, but it was actually related.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's great, AB. You're a damn good dad.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

AB..good in you. Support to the entire family but mostly the youngest....all.about happiness. My son has a good friend in class....kids are way more supportive than we think and probably our experience growing up would have been.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:06 pm AB..good in you. Support to the entire family but mostly the youngest....all.about happiness. My son has a good friend in class....kids are way more supportive than we think and probably our experience growing up would have been.
Kids today are a hell of a lot more understanding than in our day. I had a talk with my son to gauge the tolerance at his middle school. I asked him if anyone he knows has come out as gay. He said nobody that he knows personally, but he knows of two boys that came out. I asked how people treated them or reacted, and he looked at me like I was crazy and said, "why would anyone care?" I started to explain what it was like when the one kid in my HS came out, and my son was shocked. He was also shocked that gay marriage was illegal in his lifetime. He said he assumed gay marriage was legal for at least 30 years. Acceptance has really turned the corner, so I hope your son doesn't face too much hardship at school. I would think having your support is the biggest hurdle, so he is super lucky there.

I don't know how it came up, but I had an interesting conversation with my mother a few days ago about how she didn't even realize homosexuality was a thing until she was in college. I think we were talking about the Stonewall Riots. Anyways, she grew up in Brooklyn and her mother was the ultimate super-Progressive 50 years ahead of her time, so she was by no means sheltered. She said her neighbor was a walking gay stereotype and lived with a male companion, but she never had a clue until she was an adult and suddenly realized. She said she had a female friend who was infatuated with their female gym teacher and obsessed over her. She learned her friend was gay when they were adults, and it suddenly made sense. Coming from a time when people didn't even know being gay was a real thing, I can understand confusion, fear and a failure to understand. I feel like we are in a similar place with gender transitioning, but our generation made the shift towards accepting homosexuality, so I'm hopeful we can accept and embrace gender transitioning much faster and better than society accepted homosexuality. I don't mean to equate the two, as I get they are different, but I think the societal shift towards normalizing and accepting homosexuality will make the process of normalizing and accepting gender transitions a much faster process.

*By accepting, I mean the majority of people, there will always be closed minded assholes and Bible Thumpers refusing to accept what they don't understand (or what they are and can't accept in themselves).
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:31 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:06 pm AB..good in you. Support to the entire family but mostly the youngest....all.about happiness. My son has a good friend in class....kids are way more supportive than we think and probably our experience growing up would have been.
Kids today are a hell of a lot more understanding than in our day. I had a talk with my son to gauge the tolerance at his middle school. I asked him if anyone he knows has come out as gay. He said nobody that he knows personally, but he knows of two boys that came out. I asked how people treated them or reacted, and he looked at me like I was crazy and said, "why would anyone care?" I started to explain what it was like when the one kid in my HS came out, and my son was shocked. He was also shocked that gay marriage was illegal in his lifetime. He said he assumed gay marriage was legal for at least 30 years. Acceptance has really turned the corner, so I hope your son doesn't face too much hardship at school. I would think having your support is the biggest hurdle, so he is super lucky there.

I don't know how it came up, but I had an interesting conversation with my mother a few days ago about how she didn't even realize homosexuality was a thing until she was in college. I think we were talking about the Stonewall Riots. Anyways, she grew up in Brooklyn and her mother was the ultimate super-Progressive 50 years ahead of her time, so she was by no means sheltered. She said her neighbor was a walking gay stereotype and lived with a male companion, but she never had a clue until she was an adult and suddenly realized. She said she had a female friend who was infatuated with their female gym teacher and obsessed over her. She learned her friend was gay when they were adults, and it suddenly made sense. Coming from a time when people didn't even know being gay was a real thing, I can understand confusion, fear and a failure to understand. I feel like we are in a similar place with gender transitioning, but our generation made the shift towards accepting homosexuality, so I'm hopeful we can accept and embrace gender transitioning much faster and better than society accepted homosexuality. I don't mean to equate the two, as I get they are different, but I think the societal shift towards normalizing and accepting homosexuality will make the process of normalizing and accepting gender transitions a much faster process.

*By accepting, I mean the majority of people, there will always be closed minded assholes and Bible Thumpers refusing to accept what they don't understand (or what they are and can't accept in themselves).
This popped across my news feed this week
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/fuel/us-l ... sse-player
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:11 am Harvard is going all online for 2020-2021.

I'm not linking to a clown's tweet announcing it.
Followed by International students cannot stay in the US if classes are all online. Harvard might have to reconsider.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Harvard has a massive endowment. They are able to weather a semester or two of lost tuition to do whatever the fuck they want.

Vast majority of other schools don't have that luxury.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:21 pm Harvard has a massive endowment. They are able to weather a semester or two of lost tuition to do whatever the fuck they want.

They have enough of an endowment that they should be telling ICE to fuck off and leave the students alone. There's enough in legislature on both sides that would be on Harvard's side.

(Aside: Oldest is sitting on Harvard's campus as we speak first day of that internship)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:09 am

This popped across my news feed this week
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/fuel/us-l ... sse-player
Great article. My biggest takeaway is that the kid can write! I can't imagine what he went through with his mother completely ignoring his coming out, it's just heartbreaking.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:25 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:21 pm Harvard has a massive endowment. They are able to weather a semester or two of lost tuition to do whatever the fuck they want.

They have enough of an endowment that they should be telling ICE to fuck off and leave the students alone. There's enough in legislature on both sides that would be on Harvard's side.

(Aside: Oldest is sitting on Harvard's campus as we speak first day of that internship)
And...a lawsuit filed by Harvard and MIT to fight ICE's plans.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

My wife and I got to fill out a fairly long poll about our feelings about the kids returning to school next year. Questions ranged from what to do with extracurricular activities, in-school vs virtual lessons, going to school on certain days or times with reduced numbers in class (half-days sounds like an absolute disaster), riding the bus with masks or social distancing with reduced number of passengers (lots of parents took their kids to/from school prior to the pandemic), and so on.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:11 am My wife and I got to fill out a fairly long poll about our feelings about the kids returning to school next year. Questions ranged from what to do with extracurricular activities, in-school vs virtual lessons, going to school on certain days or times with reduced numbers in class (half-days sounds like an absolute disaster), riding the bus with masks or social distancing with reduced number of passengers (lots of parents took their kids to/from school prior to the pandemic), and so on.
Yeah the district here did that. My responses were all on the “keep them home” end of the choices.

I do feel bad, though. I can keep my daughter home because we have good computers and wifi and can also work from home. The district has done a good job supplying free laptops, but the rest of the support system is lacking for other folks.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ours was about 50/50.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Ours got to include whether or not our kids are comfortable wearing masks and so on. We're very fortunate to be where we are, so our answers were leaning toward schools being open (and I think we would choose sending them to school if they are opened), but we're fine if they are not. At the same time, we were solidly "no" on extracurriculars and people in attendance at events/games, should they have them.

I also feel like, based on my fairly minimal experience with the community, a solid number of parents will opt for keeping their kids at home.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Cuomo said there would be a decision made by first week of August. I really hope that's enough time to put together a viable, safe plan if they opt to re-open in any way.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

AB, that's very impressive. You're a great dad.

It's interesting that among the Swamp kids, I think there are at least four on the autism spectrum. And at least two transgender kids that I know of. I'm sure several others that are gay. I'm not sure if we're a true sampling of America, but we are a pretty random genetic sampling at least.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

New York is going to allow some malls to open on Friday with restrictions, such as 50% capacity and both shoppers and employees being required to wear masks, as well as qualifications, including conditions for air circulation and purification. I suspect it is going to go poorly (the 50% capacity seems like a shitshow waiting to happen) and hope that my appointment with the Apple store on Tuesday remains curbside.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Question for the swamp lawyers. I got a buddy who has a decent day job but is one of those people who can't sit still. So he drives uber/lyft a lot of evenings. So all this happened with the covid and he got his hours reduced at his day job (and I think was furloughed for two weeks) so took some unemployment for that and decided not to drive rideshare because there were provisions in the unemployment for gig economy workers. Anyway, fast forward a bit, he ends up going back to full time to his regular job. But he keeps on claiming that he can't drive rideshare so he's collecting his percentage of unemployment from that as well as the $600 extra government payment. Bragged about how he's going to make some eight grand extra.

That seems like fraud to me. Since rideshare is not his primary job, it seems at the bare minimum amoral to keep accepting money when you have a full time job. I get that technically he lost wages because he didn't do rideshare, but it seems very sketchy to me. Any thoughts?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I am not a labor law person, but, yeah, that seems like he is on the wrong side of a line.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I probably don't need to add that he is a hardcore right winger, totally against social programs. Unless, of course, he's getting his.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A quick google tells me he may be ok...depending on how KY treats partial unemployment and how he updated/represented his continual unemployment to them:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/15/does-ha ... efits.html
If your working hours are reduced in any way, including if you hold several jobs and you’re laid off from one, you may qualify for partial unemployment, says Michele Evermore, senior policy analyst at the National Employment Law Project.

Eligibility will vary by state, and your benefit amount will be based on the amount of work you lose as well as the earnings you’re still bringing in each week. Workers earning partial unemployment are also eligible to receive the weekly $600 federal benefit laid out in the coronavirus relief bill.
and...
Failure to report income is classified as unemployment insurance fraud. Consequences vary by state and can include having to pay back benefits plus interest, penalty fees, ineligibility for future benefits and criminal prosecution.
A quick re-scan of your fact pattern says he is likely fine - sounds like he is only collecting a percentage of unemployment for alleged loss of the ride share gig which still unlocks the weekly benefit. (MAYBE NOT - SEE MY NEXT POST ON NEXT PAGE) As to whether the loss of the ride share gig is legit, or how much you have to have been relying on the rideshare gig to qualify for unemployment in the first place, I do not know.
Last edited by tennbengal on Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.