More Backroom Deals Than Tammany Hall - A Youth Soccer Tale

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: More Backroom Deals Than Tammany Hall - A Youth Soccer Tale

Post by rass »

Welp, he'd probably just file it under "disrespect" or something else vague governing treatment of officials. Now you know!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That seems like a personal think with that ref. Soccer isn't like other sports, in that you really aren't afforded the opportunity to talk to the refs until half-time or after the game, and those moments are often pretty tricky. So I get that you want to communicate in game, but it's really a tough balance.

What I'm saying, and what took me a long time to internalize, is that shouting at the ref about a missed call very rarely gets you a desired result. There are really two instances where I'll backtrack on that:

* - Missing a really egregious offside call, you gotta let them know. Do it respectfully, but you have to let the center ref know that he's got a problem with the AR. Someone being a yard offside is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking, like WHOA. But if you have a 15 year old that doesn't know the rule and blows that call early, bring it to their attention because the center ref can call it if he knows the AR is out to lunch. Don't yell it, though, that won't be heard.

* - If a ref isn't calling hard fouls, I'm off my bench and I'm yelling. Protect my players, sir/maam. And I don't care if I get a card. I've had too many kids concussed and put in the hospital because the ref was letting too much shit go. (I know I'm a broken record on this, but the primary job of a coach is protecting his/her players.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

One of our local travel club’s U14 boys teams won the NJ State Cup championship over the weekend. They beat a STA (pretty big academy) team to do so. Crushed them actually, 8-4 or 8-5, I think.

I got an email from EDP with the results, and the write up gave the result and score of every game but the U14 boys. Here was the write up:
The 14U Boys President Cup champion found their winner Union SC Dragons Blue 06 who defeated STA Musc 2006 Boys USYS. This was STA’s second boy's team in a President’s Cup final.
Could be innocent. I forwarded it to our club board. They’re pretty pissed.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's probably some overworked drone making $10/hr doing these writeups, not Woodward and/or Bernstein.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Such naivety!

Half joking but this shit is cutthroat. Someone gave them the “second boys team...” BS.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah I’m not gonna pretend to know the politics but my Occam’s Razor on these things usually leads to more conventional incompetence as opposed to anything nefarious. Also writing these kinds of summaries is surprisingly hard. A lot of ins and outs, a lot of what have yous.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

My experience is that shit is ultra nefarious.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:33 pm One of our local travel club’s U14 boys teams won the NJ State Cup championship over the weekend. They beat a STA (pretty big academy) team to do so. Crushed them actually, 8-4 or 8-5, I think.

I got an email from EDP with the results, and the write up gave the result and score of every game but the U14 boys. Here was the write up:
The 14U Boys President Cup champion found their winner Union SC Dragons Blue 06 who defeated STA Musc 2006 Boys USYS. This was STA’s second boy's team in a President’s Cup final.
Could be innocent. I forwarded it to our club board. They’re pretty pissed.
That is a huge deal, as the USYS teams are the A-teams for academies like STA. Those are the teams that go into the US Development Academy program. Since it was an EDP writeup, do the Dragons play in EDP? If not, there is your explanation, they are writing an article promoting their clubs.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Union SC team that won plays in EDP.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This isn't youth soccer, but this guy is hilarious.

You have to see some of the responses to people who don't realize it's satire.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:28 am Not youth soccer, but despite a 4-1 loss, my corporate team gave rave review of nonlinear's net-minding last night.
Finally got nonlinear back out with the corporate team for an indoor game. Going into tonight the team we were playing was 3rd place with a +27 goal difference. My team in 5th with a -5GD. They were also clearly well younger than out team. Well 5-3 victory for the good guys and a big W for nonlinear in the goal. If he has some typos (primarily inability to type 'j', 'h', 'y' or 'n' it is because he dislocated a finger for a bit on a save. We don't win that game if he is not in the net for us. Besides stopping the ball...slick distribution (behind the back rolls to defenders) and one dribble up the field.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I was surprised the other team kind of took the foot off the gas after we went up 4-3. They had a very short bench, though, so that's probably a big part.

Thanks for having me out! And, yeah, that big dude ripped that shot and just wasn't in ready position and popped my pinkie and... whatever is next to that finger. Pushed them back into place and good to go!

I like your squad... Fiesty and good mix of burly guys and finesse.

Any time you need me... Good for me to stay sharp.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

TWILTS
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My daughter's travel team has an affiliation with an academy program (Match Fit). Her trainer recommended her for their Talent ID session, and she got an invite to train with the team for their Winter training session. She is responding really well to the the trainer, who is a tough drill sergeant, but also throws in a touch of silliness and keeps it fun. More important, I'm extremely impressed with how welcoming the team was towards my daughter and the others. I'd say there was close to 100 girls at the talent ID (might have been two age groups), and maybe 12-15 invited to train.

Long story short, just got a "welcome to the team" email. Really not sure if this is a big deal, or of they offer it to everyone. They currently have one team in my daughter's age group, and they announced they want two teams next year. I feel like they are trying to hook us in for next year, which is fine, as I think this program is a great fit for my daughter in the style of play, the coaching and the players. They said she is on the team now, but she has to stay on her travel team through the Spring season, and they "ask affiliate players to prioritize your travel team when there are conflicts." I'm a bit confused how this will work, if they are dressing 20 players for 9v9 games, only inviting a couple of the new girls each game, or what.

So I just got a link to order the team uniform, and the "mandatory" list includes a team backpack, warmups, 3 jerseys, training shirt, 3 different shorts, 3 different socks. So in addition to paying to play for two teams, I need to buy all of this shit, and I'm not really clear on her status. Plus, tryouts for next year are starting in a bout a month. I have her signed up for tryouts at 4 academies right now, and I don't want to buy all that shit if she isn't going to make the team next year, or if she decides she wants to play at a different academy. I have to buy all the jerseys, training outfits, shorts and socks, but am I being a dick by not buying the warmups and backpack? I feel stupid buying it if she isn't really on the team, but I also don't want her to feel like the only kid not wearing warmups or bringing the backpack because I'm being cheap. OTOH, I haven't put my old house on the market, and watching the Zillow estimates plummet every week is making me nervous about money.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think it's fair to ask for confirmation from them that she 100% has a place with the club in the fall. And for that matter confirmation from her that she 100% wants to move teams. In that case, you would need to make the purchase anyway.

Well, the warmups and back-pack at least. They might make you buy a new uniform no matter what, huh?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:37 am I think it's fair to ask for confirmation from them that she 100% has a place with the club in the fall. And for that matter confirmation from her that she 100% wants to move teams. In that case, you would need to make the purchase anyway.

Well, the warmups and back-pack at least. They might make you buy a new uniform no matter what, huh?
Oh, there is zero guarantee for the fall. Even for the girls who were on the team all year. Tryouts for Fall in March and April, find out in April or May. The coach gave them a speech about how nobody is guaranteed a spot, and how the new girls coming in will compete for spot next year with the girls currently on the team. Since they are going from one team to two next year, I think she has a very good shot, unless there are a lot of additional girls at tryouts, which is very possible.

She definitely wants to make this team. The level of commitment and skill at training is a huge jump from travel. Every girl is skilled enough to keep up with more complex drills, and they are all focused. Nobody is goofing off or not paying attention, or in the case of 3 girls on her travel team,doing triple roundoff back handsprings into a backflip across the field. She gets frustrated when other girls aren't paying attention, and drills are too easy for her, and boring. She seems closer to the girls at Match Fit in 6 weeks than she has after a season with her travel team. The other issue is that practices are in Morris Plains, which is 35 minutes without traffic. Getting to 6:00 pm practices on weeknights might be problematic. Winter training is indoors in the new Florham Park bubble, which is only 15 minutes away.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Welp, it's youth $occer, man.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, it's absolutely fine to just not buy the extra shit until she makes the squad for the fall.

Having gone through the same situation of going from one-two teams, even if your on the field roster is 9... If she is getting a good run right now, her chances of making the team are extremely high.

Given the way you wrote how SHE is taking it all in, I think you already know where this is headed. She is ready to move on/up. Sucks about the commute to practice, but she's got talent and needs to start running with the big dogs.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

When we did travel volleyball, there were only certain windows you could buy things. I assume because the printer wants to do a bunch at once instead of one-offs.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Other than the match kit I don't understand why they make you buy the extras like warmups/backpacks/etc. It's just pricing out families.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

testuser2 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:28 pm Other than the match kit I don't understand why they make you buy the extras like warmups/backpacks/etc. It's just pricing out families.
I know several girls playing for an EDP level club (not top tier, playing against travel teams) and the annual fee is $3000, plus the uniform/bag etc... was $750. Then they have additional trainings that cost money, tournaments are extra $... Shit is insane. Match Fit fees were extremely reasonable. My daughter has played with them in 3 tournaments, and they are charging exactly the amount to cover the entrance fee divided by number of kids. They only charged $150 for 10 weeks of Winter training, which is nothing.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:48 am So, it's absolutely fine to just not buy the extra shit until she makes the squad for the fall.

Having gone through the same situation of going from one-two teams, even if your on the field roster is 9... If she is getting a good run right now, her chances of making the team are extremely high.

Given the way you wrote how SHE is taking it all in, I think you already know where this is headed. She is ready to move on/up. Sucks about the commute to practice, but she's got talent and needs to start running with the big dogs.
There was never a doubt that she wants to play at an academy. She was crushed when her older travel team imploded, and she didn't try out for all the academies I signed her up for. I won't repeat the saga, but we let her skip a bunch of tryouts because she insisted she wanted to stay on her team. Then her friend (whose father told us she wasn't trying out at academies) made one of the academies, it was a hit to my daughter's ego. We decided to go to a neighboring town's travel team, as they had an elite level program that plays against academies, but they didn't have enough talented girls, so they downgraded to a travel team (the elite coaches left and formed a new program, and most of the players went with them), and they talked up the Match Fit affiliation.

The real question is where she plays next year. I have a feeling that if she makes MAtch Fit next year, we will just stick with it since she is already used to it and knows the players. They are a newer program, but making huge steps to improve. I'll find the press release on her trainer, but she is super impressive and has a big vision to raise the program and women's sports. They aren't DA yet, but working towards it. I don't think my daughter is quite DA level, but if pushed, I think she could be. The best part is watching her play with girls on the same level as her. The first tournament, they sent one team of mostly Winter trainees and maybe 3 team players, and a team of all current players. They had 2 practices together, and the new girls looked like they have played together for years. The amount of one-touch passes, give and goes, passing to space, overlapping runs, through balls, crosses... it was amazing. When you have a team full of kids who know how to play, they look like a team. Everyone knew where to go, and made passes to the right spots. It was a ton of fun to watch.
-Pruitt
elflaco3
Jackie Treehorn

Post by elflaco3 »

just spent almost two hours on a zoom call (with 30mins in between jump over to google hangouts) with the travel board (after last saturday's 40 min zoom club board)...
on thursday w put out communications to all families that we are on waiting patter and have a mechanism for those looking for refunds.. (opt in) otherwise everyone gets a credit to the fall season (no chance there's a season - schools are looking to shut down in May as well from what we hear)

we agreed last week we needed to provide some sort of online sessions (at no cost) to our families -- we have rec, intercounty and travel - about 500 families in total.

our training partners have struggled to figure out an good offering. as most training companies in the area, the bulk of their training staff is here from the UK on work visas... so we feel bad and want to ensure they are here when things resume (they're fairly good and have built a good relationship w the kids) --- but their company wanted us to pay $30 per player to use an app (Famer).. where $25 goes to the app for 8 weeks. we said.. no. no app.

as spring break is on this week.. we've asked them to provide training guidance for kids to do on their own -- and.. do 2sessions a day (split in age groups) tues-fri -- 45mins each - on zoom-- using 5x5 space indoors to work on touches... and asking coaches to hold weekly zoom chat sessions w their players so they can catch up as a team.

i know the kids playing in EDP and higher leagues are getting training guidance from their clubs, be it fitness plans, nutrition plans, IG live sessions, video libraries, etc... my son seems to enjoy the IG sessions and i'm working with him on the fitness plans ... also bought a large pop up goal as we had to lock the goals in all the fields..

so the question for those w kids playing travel or club soccer...
how useful are the zoom/IG/Other app sessions?
are your kids doing anything else to keep touching the ball?
would you pay for any training via app/web?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Our club started pushing out videos this week. Just a links to existing YouTube workouts. As you know the weather sort of sucked this week and we didn’t have much luck getting her outside.

I’d be pretty reluctant to pay real $ for online training.
elflaco3
Jackie Treehorn

Post by elflaco3 »

yeah.. i don't like that idea. we may have to invest something from existing funds -- but can't see any parent paying anything at this point.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Travel team has been sending links to youtube videos and the Dir of Training has sent some videos of himself doing drills. The academy team has a full on workout routine with a daily tracker we have to fill out. 2 days of a full training session, and the parent has to rate the kids effort on each drill. Some of the sessions include links to videos. One had 7 juggling related skills that got progressively harder. Kids get 7 attempts at each trick. Trick 1, you get 1 point for every success, trick 2 two points... trick 7, 7 points. We had to include their score. One of the trainers does additional workout drills with a series of pushups/situps/planks type stuff, some with ball control cardio drills. He films in his livingroom to show it can be done indoors in a small space. Her trainer is doing Instagram live still, but it's so choppy we gave up.

In other news, the academy decided to offer all current players and dual carded affiliate players a spot for next year. We accepted and paid, only to find out yesterday her training is leaving the program. She was a big reason we wanted her to play here. I'm a little concerned, as the academy's email notify us mentioned she told several players before telling the academy, which has me worried that she is taking players with her.
-Pruitt
elflaco3
Jackie Treehorn

Post by elflaco3 »

rass, syb -- which clubs are you guys referring to?
i know what Cedar Stars, Red Bull, PDA and Edison United are doing..
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Can you share the YouTube stuff in this thread out another.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Topya app
https://my.soccer-profile.com
https://youtu.be/L8pr1AwpKSA

The club paid for soccer profile and topya is free so far.
The YouTube stuff from afc lightning has been better than the other two. They have about 5 skills videos and maybe the same conditioning type stuff. Should all be suggestions in the video above. But the kid doesn't do much of it. Topya keeps his attention more than the others cause his teammates are on.
elflaco3
Jackie Treehorn

Post by elflaco3 »

ah yeah - that's directly from NJYS - they made it available to all clubs.

i've a board member (who is in charge of training) who keeps insisting we pay for Famer app for the trainers to use .. i feel for the trainers.. but i don't see the value of paying for an app (as a club) rather have the trainers use available session library and host their own on youtube or IG- heck we'll pay them for their time.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Lauren's club is Watchung Hills, not worth posting anything we've gotten from them. Academy is Match Fit Academy. They are doing everything through Google Classroom, so I can't copy their materials. I'll see if links work. Links work for me, but might be password protected.

This is a list of videos they initially posted: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ceo ... AZdc0/edit

And an example of a training session: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fhP ... gVRnI/edit

Another training session: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CcI ... dd824/edit

Here is the juggling challenge I mentioned before: The girl got number 5 down pat and is loving that one. I sprained the top of my ankle, kicking down exactly as the ball hit the ground. I can do #6 pretty well, so it was worth it.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

DA disbanded. Shockwaves around here.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

El flaco, Syb, anyone: are your trainers making use of pinnies while training this summer?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:26 am El flaco, Syb, anyone: are your trainers making use of pinnies while training this summer?
Not allowed. We get an email before each practice letting us know to wear either black or white shirts, then I saw two girls run back to their car during practice to change shirts.

Entering Phase 4 next weekend, so we are scrimmaging another team. Interesting jump, as they aren't allowed to practice shooting yet. Yesterday they were allowed to do drills as a group, no more staying in your grid.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

We started way before you but still trying to distance. Grids and groups. No word on August tournaments. Bailed on defending a club 3v3 title this weekend. I ain't living with the wife saying I told u so on this one. Kid made the thirds though! Last bus and glad to have a seat. No pinnies.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:39 am
rass wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:26 am El flaco, Syb, anyone: are your trainers making use of pinnies while training this summer?
Not allowed. We get an email before each practice letting us know to wear either black or white shirts, then I saw two girls run back to their car during practice to change shirts.

Entering Phase 4 next weekend, so we are scrimmaging another team. Interesting jump, as they aren't allowed to practice shooting yet. Yesterday they were allowed to do drills as a group, no more staying in your grid.
same.
CSA has different colors per day
most sessions cancelled last week due to t-storms - scrimmages due to start today - i'll be in the car watching...
our hometown club camps are going well - bit of a cluster w registration but so far so good. biggest pain has been kicking off people off the field before 9a.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:40 pm We started way before you but still trying to distance. Grids and groups. No word on August tournaments. Bailed on defending a club 3v3 title this weekend. I ain't living with the wife saying I told u so on this one. Kid made the thirds though! Last bus and glad to have a seat. No pinnies.
My sisters boys play for NASA (or is it Nth or Top Hat, the multiple names confuse me). She said they haven't followed any of the safety protocols despite numerous reminder emails.

Just got an email that we are using pinnies this week. One-time use and washed after every practice. Used pinnies go in a separate bag, new pinnies for each team. That seems like a lot of trouble and laundry when you can just ask kids to wear different colors.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Thanks guys. The trainer used them on Wednesday, and when I asked her about it she said that they won't be switched from kid to kid in a given practice, she has separate sets for each of her teams, and she'll be washing them between practices. NJ was officially cleared for "normal" training last week (I guess with a lingering common sense suggestion to minimize equipment sharing with thorough sanitizing) and while no scrimmages yet fr our team some of the training exercises were simulated game conditions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:04 am Thanks guys. The trainer used them on Wednesday, and when I asked her about it she said that they won't be switched from kid to kid in a given practice, she has separate sets for each of her teams, and she'll be washing them between practices. NJ was officially cleared for "normal" training last week (I guess with a lingering common sense suggestion to minimize equipment sharing with thorough sanitizing) and while no scrimmages yet fr our team some of the training exercises were simulated game conditions.
Got an email reminder this morning that today begins "full contact training."
-Pruitt