Coronavirus - All Sports

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:44 pm If all the power conferences do this, looks Like Notre dame will have a lot of MACtion!
Forgot about their ACC deal to play five games per season against teams from that conference.

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Oh yes, that is true.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

And...

Everybody's doing it. Just gotta draw it out to keep the hope of checks coming in alive (and maybe, just a little bit, make the decision to bring players to campus for workouts look not quite as bad).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm struggling to understand why they don't just say fuck it and move it all to the spring.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I am operating under a zero actual information situation, but is the logic of Stanford canceling all those sports that is decreases the amount of people around the athletic facilities?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Seems like a big deal...

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:59 pm I am operating under a zero actual information situation, but is the logic of Stanford canceling all those sports that is decreases the amount of people around the athletic facilities?
I would guess it's primarily, if not solely, a financial decision.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I freely admit I don't fully understand how endowments work, but Stanford has a MASSIVE pile of dough. Like... I believe it's right up there with Harvard.

You could fire a couple of coordinators on the foosball team and cover most of the expenses for those other sports.

Just seems like pure financials at school that typical does things the right way seems a little off.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

"We are facing uncertain and unprecedented times, and the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes, coaches, game officials, and others associated with our sports programs and campuses remain our number one priority," the Big Ten said in a statement.
If college football can be played this fall, Big Ten presidents and athletic directors preferred the conference-only model, which will eliminate some long-distance travel and help ensure teams are being tested for the coronavirus universally, multiple sources inside the league and around college football told ESPN.
Yes, if there's anything that college football conferences have been known for lately, it's strict geographic compactness.

This goes for MLB too, but what is the point of allowing Florida St college kids to come to Chestnut Hill or Arizona State ones to Seattle? Fuck you.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m more of an SEC fan too, Ry ; )
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:02 pm I freely admit I don't fully understand how endowments work, but Stanford has a MASSIVE pile of dough. Like... I believe it's right up there with Harvard.

You could fire a couple of coordinators on the foosball team and cover most of the expenses for those other sports.

Just seems like pure financials at school that typical does things the right way seems a little off.
It's probably not as big of a deal at Stanford (and it may not be the same procedurally), but I know a little bit about the endowment process at Syracuse.

One thing that makes Syracuse's endowment larger is that they start counting donations toward their endowment when the commitment is made, not when the money is received. When someone makes a donation to Syracuse as part of their will or takes out a life insurance policy where Syracuse is named as a/the beneficiary, the university counts the money as part of its endowment even though they don't have the money yet and may not get the money for a long time (or even at all, should the donor decide to rescind the donation).
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I was really more referring to not knowing if a school can dip into an endowment fund to cover athletic department deficits. I imagine they're fairly restricted in what they can use funds for, but I don't have any actual, you know... Knowledge.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My guess is they could get around restrictions, if they wanted to, by reallocating basketball/football budget to these sports then going into their basketball/football restricted funds.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I think it really depends on the schools...state schools have a harder time mucking with budgets than private ones. For example all athletic scholarships at Maryland have to be separately funded via the athletics donors. So no tax/tuition etc pay for Diamond Stone's one year in College Park. Also those schools that endow programs/positions and named donors things (something frequently done to cover a coaches salary in sports like Lacrosse) probably have restrictions (like $ for North Dakota's hockey program).
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:35 pm
brian wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:30 pm Big Ten goes to all/only conference games for all fall sports.
The crawl on ESPN is hilarious: "Will miss out on marque match-ups: Wisconsin vs. ND, Miami vs. MSU, PSU vs. VaTech..."

Yawn. I mean, I get that they have to say something, but who the fuck cares about those games other than respective fan bases.

I guess I'm having a difficult time giving a shit whether we have football in a few months. Seems pretty fucking trivial, TBH.
I agree with DSafe and nlfc , but Chuck Grassley gets upset (probably for the political points.)

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Cy-Hawk game is better known as El Assico for a reason. No one outside of Iowa and hardcore CFB nerds cares.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Hasn't Grassley said he's not going to the convention due to COVID? I don't understand that kind of brainwork.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He's not at risk watching this game on TV. The end.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

In a way that I don't think he's at all committed to, it's exactly what I'm saying. Why is Iowa playing Rutgers instead of Iowa St? I mean, I know why but..
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:23 am The Cy-Hawk game is better known as El Assico for a reason. No one outside of Iowa and hardcore CFB nerds cares.
Because Banner Society and its progeny, all split across the global interwebs, are among the greatest things in the sports media world. I'm the "it's real to me, dammit" wrestling guy about this.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

No fall sports for the W&L
1.) D3 so it is not a revenue thing
2.) They are trying to bring everyone to a small town in VA and keep everyone else away so they can do on campus classes
3.) No clear answers but they talk about deferrals and gap years.
4.) Also NCAA eligibility and non-traditional season stuff.
Washington and Lee University Update on Fall 2020 Competition
7/10/2020 | General
Washington and Lee University announced on Friday that it will not compete in any athletic competition during the fall semester of 2020.

President Will Dudley addressed the university community regarding the school's plan for a return to on-campus instruction this fall, a plan which includes policies limiting university travel and visitors to campus. Considering these measures to keep our students, faculty and staff as safe as possible, the decision was made that athletics competition cannot continue until at least January 1, 2021.

The following sports are immediately impacted and will not contest a schedule during the fall of 2020: Men's & Women's Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Men's & Women's Soccer and Volleyball.

Additionally, the following sports will be impacted for portions of their schedule which would have been contested during the fall term: Men's & Women's Basketball, Equestrian, Men's & Women's Golf, Men's & Women's Swimming, Men's & Women's Tennis, Men's & Women's Indoor Track & Field and Wrestling.

The Washington and Lee Department of Athletics will continue to work with the Washington and Lee COVID-19 committee, the Athletics COVID-19 team, the Old Dominion Athletic Conference, the Centennial Conference, infectious disease experts, and the NCAA to consider any options for competition for fall/winter sports in the winter and/or spring.

"The university and the athletics department have been working tirelessly to prepare for a return to some semblance of routine and the sports we love, while keeping the health and safety of our student-athletes as the top priority," said Michael F. Walsh Director of Athletics Jan Hathorn. "As information regarding the transmission of the COVID-19 virus was continuously analyzed, university administration determined the most effective way to mitigate risk of exposure to our campus community was to restrict travel and visitors to campus, making it necessary to suspend competition for the fall semester. We realize that nothing can replace the joy of competition; however, our coaches, staff and administrators are committed to creating the best student-athlete experience possible, while upholding our commitment to the health and safety of the student-athletes. We will work through this adversity together and be a stronger team as a result."

Further announcements regarding a return to athletics competition will be made available via generalssports.com when available.
Washington and Lee Athletics Fall 2020 Return to Campus Q&A

What sports will be able to compete during the fall semester?
Washington and Lee will not be competing in any sports during the 2020 fall semester due to university policies regarding travel and a restriction of visitors on campus.

Will fall and winter sports compete at all in 2020-2021?
Currently, there will be no athletic competition until at least January 1, 2021. We will work continuously with the Washington and Lee COVID-19 committee, the Athletics COVID-19 team, the Old Dominion Athletic Conference, the Centennial Conference, infectious disease experts, and the NCAA to consider any options for competition for fall/winter sports in the winter and/or spring.

When will students know if winter and spring sports are happening?
We know that there will not be any athletic competition until at least January 1, 2021. No decisions have been made about the Winter or Spring Terms yet. We will continue to work with the Washington and Lee COVID-19 committee, the Athletics COVID-19 team, the Old Dominion Athletic Conference, the Centennial Conference, infectious disease experts, and the NCAA, and will make a determination at a future date.

Will fall and winter season teams be able to compete during the Winter or Spring Terms?
We are investigating opportunities with the NCAA to shift our competitive season for fall sports to the winter/spring terms. There are many factors that will affect the feasibility of doing so, but we are hopeful that we may be able to provide meaningful competitive opportunities to our fall teams during the winter/spring terms.

What impact would only being able to practice or play a limited number of games have on my eligibility with the NCAA?
Under NCAA rules, students will not use a season of eligibility if their team does not compete during the traditional sport season. On July 9, the NCAA issued a blanket waiver providing guidance regarding eligibility concerns for teams who play a limited number of contests, or whose seasons end prematurely. The blanket waiver states that student-athletes will not be charged with participation for the 2020-21 season if their team can complete only 50% or less of the sport's maximum contests/dates of competition due to the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The NCAA also approved a second blanket waiver which permits student-athletes to receive a two-semester/three-quarter extension of eligibility if the student-athlete is unable to participate in their sport during the 2020-21 academic year due to the impact of COVID-19 or if the student-athlete's team completed 50% or less of the sport's maximum contests/dates of competition due to COVID-19. For more information on these blanket waivers, please see the NCAA press release

What will it be like to participate on a team at Washington and Lee as a student on campus this fall?
For those students who are on campus and who are members of our fall, winter, and spring varsity programs, practices will be permitted in accordance with institutional, state, and NCAA safety protocols, including physical distancing. We are working on provisions that would allow for team strength and conditioning activities. Pre-participation forms (medical and NCAA), concussion baseline testing (all student-athletes), and BP screening (returning student-athletes) will be required to be completed and reviewed prior to participating in team activities, whether in-person or remotely.

What does "in accordance with NCAA rules" mean for activity during the fall semester for fall, winter, and spring athletes who are on campus?
As mentioned in Question #4, we are investigating opportunities with the NCAA to designate the fall season as the non-traditional season for our fall sport teams. If this opportunity is granted, fall season athletes would have the opportunity to have sixteen practices over a five-week period during the fall semester. In turn, we would be able to seek competitive opportunities in a traditional season format for our fall teams during the Winter or Spring Terms.

We anticipate winter season teams will begin practice on their traditional start dates. Institutional decisions are still being made about whether winter student-athletes will remain on campus following the Thanksgiving holiday.

Spring season teams will have their non-traditional season in the fall, with sixteen practice opportunities over a five-week period.

Has the NCAA announced any changes to the 2020-2021 sports seasons?
There have been no announcements regarding any adjustments to the NCAA championships.

When will student-athletes arrive on campus now that the fall preseason has been cancelled?
Student affairs will communicate arrival dates and times with fall student-athletes as soon as possible.

Will student-athletes who are on campus for the fall have access to the services and support provided through athletic training services, sport performance and the equipment room?
The athletics administration is continuing to work on specific protocols regarding athletic training services, sport performance, and the equipment room. More information will be provided as soon as possible.

Will all athletic facilities be open?
Facilities will be open for the campus community while observing state and institutional guidelines, including physical distancing. As this is a fluid situation, we cannot guarantee what will be available or when. We are working on plans that will best monitor the usage and cleaning protocol of these spaces. Access to facilities may change during the semester, depending on changing state and institutional guidelines.

Will student-athletes have access to locker rooms?
Student-athletes will not have access to locker rooms.

Will club sports be able to practice and/or compete?
Club sports will not be able to compete in the fall semester and we are in the process of working with the institution on a final decision as to when club sports teams will be able to practice.

What is the decision deadline for first-year undergraduate deferrals? Can incoming first-year undergraduate students defer for only the fall semester?
Please see the W&L Deferral Admission Requests website for more information. Proposals to defer enrollment must be received by the W&L Admissions staff by August 3.

If incoming first-year undergraduate students defer their acceptance to Washington and Lee, will they be guaranteed enrollment to return in Fall 2021?
Please see the W&L Deferral Admission Requests website for more information.

Are returning students able to take a leave of absence for a semester or a year? What is the process?
Returning students can find the leave of absence policy in the Student Handbook. Leave of absence requests must be submitted by August 10.

Will fall sport athletes still receive PE credit in the fall term if that is deemed the non-traditional segment of the season?
The athletics administration is working with the university administration to determine whether fall sport athletes can receive PE credit in the fall term if that is deemed the non-traditional segment. Additional information will be shared as soon as possible.

For additional information please visit the Washington and Lee Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources website.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The ACC has postponed their virtual football media day indefinitely.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

No Patriot league fall sports. So does Trump go nuts about losing the Army-Navy game (last one for him...I hope)?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:23 pm No Patriot league fall sports. So does Trump go nuts about losing the Army-Navy game (last one for him...I hope)?
MIlitary academies can still play I think.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:49 am The ACC has postponed their virtual football media day indefinitely.
Any word on why cancel a virtual event? That sounds ominous.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:30 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:49 am The ACC has postponed their virtual football media day indefinitely.
Any word on why cancel a virtual event? That sounds ominous.
No word given other than "until further notice". They're supposed to be determining their schedule of conference-only games this week (I would expect any early games get pushed back to continue assessing feasibility as there are three conference games opening weekend). I think they're seriously examining pushing back to spring.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's straight irresponsible to do anything other than push to spring for college athletics. Really, until there's a vaccine, unless you can go into a bubble, you are putting everyone's lives at risk.

One thing we have zero reporting on (for the most part), are the long term health effects on people that get this and it's really bad. Anecdotally, I'm reading/hearing about people's lungs getting all fucked up...irreparably. Now, obviously, that's a small number out of this... But with so many getting infected, it's going to get a lot worse.

It's kind of like when we look at the long-term effects of warfare, we talk about xx number injured, xx number dead. Well, ignoring the PTSD, those injured are usually completely wrecked for years, if not a lifetime. And that's not an individual number, it also hurts their families and sometimes their communities.

And I'm not even getting into the health care workers that are gonna deal with PTSD out of this. I've heard from dozens in interviews that many say they expect to be dealing with it once things truly settle into a normal pattern. They aren't used to dealing with dozens of people dying on them all at once like this. It's fucking them up.

College sports just aren't worth it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oldest had her first HS XC practice of the summer (of ever, I guess, though she ran in a couple of captain's practices with them last summer). There was an extra staff member there from the school (in addition to the coach) to take everyone's temp at check-in.

One of her teammates (a good friend of hers, and also an incoming frosh) has dual US/Portuguese citizenship and plans on heading to Portugal for a month in a couple of weeks.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Xc totally ok. I wouldn't have any qualms with that international travel or otherwise. Around here if football gets moved to spring hs soccer is dead. Many didnt play but post DA there was hope.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Portugal is in the EU. So, isn’t travel from the US to the EU countries banned right now?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

For the most part only concerned about the travel if any of the coach/school doesn't follow the rules (whatever they happen to be) when she returns which then forces me to doubt the validity of all of their protocols.

Forgot to mention that in addition to extra staff on hand for checking temps and whatever, it has been suggested that meet participation will be limited to only the top 11 boys and top 11 girls. I'm not entirely sure if that was an issue anyway (the team isn't huge) but more interesting was that they said that they would travel with only 11 kids per bus. So we're doubling the travel expenses for XC?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:08 pm Portugal is in the EU. So, isn’t travel from the US to the EU countries banned right now?
Like I said she has citizenship, and I'm assuming that gets you in regardless?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

*irregardless
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Loos like the NJCAA pushed Fall sports back to the spring. Not sure how that is going to work for two years schools with kids that will be graduating in December.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:54 pm
WOW.. What a bad take for the WNBA