Jew Update

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Jew Update

Post by A_B »

Someone please explain to me what this executive order means, please.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Re: Jew Update

Post by mister d »

What I've read is it threads the needle to fuck everyone. As a non-Jewish person, not vocally pro-Israel now makes you an anti-Semite and being pro-Palestine leaves you open to hate crime investigations and as a Jewish person, your "dual-loyalty" is now solidified as its nation vs nation versus nation (America) plus religion.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The odds that the President, wittingly or not, puts the words "Jewish" and "question" together in a sentence have to be pretty high right now, no?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

There was another guy once who also made being Jewish a distinct type of nationality. Forget his name.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Anyway, all of this big government is great, FREEDOM, LIBERTY, BALD EAGLE MEMES, where the fuck is the tea party at nowadays??? It's almost like it wasn't all about the estate tax being raised a few percent.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:32 am What I've read is it threads the needle to fuck everyone. As a non-Jewish person, not vocally pro-Israel now makes you an anti-Semite and being pro-Palestine leaves you open to hate crime investigations and as a Jewish person, your "dual-loyalty" is now solidified as its nation vs nation versus nation (America) plus religion.
Funny how conservative hand-wringing over campus free speech, snow flakes and safe spaces goes out the window in a hurry once free speech supporting the rights (and basic humanity) of the Palestinian people is at issue.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Never forget...

...that Republicans are simply a bunch of fucking pussies.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:18 am There was another guy once who also made being Jewish a distinct type of nationality. Forget his name.
My daughter mentioned this last night.

So my thinking is that - as Mr. D said - this makes any anti-Israeli government movement - guilty of hate crimes.

It's an inflammatory move no matter which side of any Israel or Jewish related side you are on. Adelson must be kvelling.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Supposedly he's dying though apparently not soon enough.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
edwzipper
Maude Lebowski

Post by edwzipper »

Update... still Jewish
How long have you been a Black quaterback?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Let's revisit this thread in a couple of days.

Not tonight.

ETA: The Jersey City Killers were (take a guess)
[+] spoiler
Not Muslim terrorists. Couple of white Christians)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

AB, I know you meant the thread title in fun, but man it makes me cringe.

But, I suppose it’s not for me to say...

In any case, a question for the Tribesmen: will the majority of Jewish Americans think that Trump’s executive order is a good thing, or a bad thing?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:15 pm AB, I know you meant the thread title in fun, but man it makes me cringe.

In any case, a question for the Tribesmen: will the majority of Jewish Americans think that Trump’s executive order is a good thing, or a bad thing?
I'd imagine that the divide in opinion will depend on whether they support him anyway.

the "Black Hatters" (ultra Orthodox) love the guy - after all Trump parrots Netanyahu when it comes to the Middle East. these guys live in a world that hasn't changed since 1700. Black and white.

Orthodox and Conservative folks will lean towards accepting it. They feel that if it somehow protects Israel and stops their kids from hearing alternative viewpoints on campus, than it's a good thing.

Jews of the Reform and Secular streams will mostly be against it.

Here's a statement from a very liberal Jewish organization: https://www.truah.org/press/truah-distu ... lWnPmxPSK8

Jews and of supporting Israel, this planned Executive Order only threatens First Amendment rights, which include the right to criticize the actions of any country on earth, while confirming a centuries-old antisemitic trope — that the primary loyalty of Jews is not to the state in which they live. This supposition has resulted in horrific discrimination against Jews in countless countries. We cannot stand for this accusation being brought against American Jews.

In addition to its antisemitic implications, the planned Executive Order will silence pro-Palestinian activists on campus and will be used as a tool to further weaponize accusations of antisemitism against American Muslims.

We affirm that Jews are not only adherents to a religion, but are also a people — Am Yisrael — with a long history and connection to one another all over the world, including in the Land of Israel. The modern political State of Israel, however, is a country, just like the United States. As a member of the United Nations, Israel is obligated to uphold international human rights law and liable to be criticized for failing to do so.
And growing up in the Reform tradition, this is what I firmly believe. It hurts me to see my fellow Jews falling into bed with these Evangelicals and Venal assholes who will on the one hand claim to be protecting Jews, and on the other hand use the "Soros" and "Internationalist" tropes.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:15 pm AB, I know you meant the thread title in fun, but man it makes me cringe.

Eh, if that's the most offensive thing I read about Jews, it's a really good day. Coming from AB, it didn't even register as potentially offensive, just funny.

As for the Exec Order, I read it and thought WTF is he trying to say or accomplish with this? It just feels like a Stephen Miller dog whistle that I don't register.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:05 pm

I'd imagine that the divide in opinion will depend on whether they support him anyway.

the "Black Hatters" (ultra Orthodox) love the guy - after all Trump parrots Netanyahu when it comes to the Middle East. these guys live in a world that hasn't changed since 1700. Black and white.

Orthodox and Conservative folks will lean towards accepting it. They feel that if it somehow protects Israel and stops their kids from hearing alternative viewpoints on campus, than it's a good thing.

Jews of the Reform and Secular streams will mostly be against it.

Here's a statement from a very liberal Jewish organization: https://www.truah.org/press/truah-distu ... lWnPmxPSK8

Jews and of supporting Israel, this planned Executive Order only threatens First Amendment rights, which include the right to criticize the actions of any country on earth, while confirming a centuries-old antisemitic trope — that the primary loyalty of Jews is not to the state in which they live. This supposition has resulted in horrific discrimination against Jews in countless countries. We cannot stand for this accusation being brought against American Jews.

In addition to its antisemitic implications, the planned Executive Order will silence pro-Palestinian activists on campus and will be used as a tool to further weaponize accusations of antisemitism against American Muslims.

We affirm that Jews are not only adherents to a religion, but are also a people — Am Yisrael — with a long history and connection to one another all over the world, including in the Land of Israel. The modern political State of Israel, however, is a country, just like the United States. As a member of the United Nations, Israel is obligated to uphold international human rights law and liable to be criticized for failing to do so.
And growing up in the Reform tradition, this is what I firmly believe. It hurts me to see my fellow Jews falling into bed with these Evangelicals and Venal assholes who will on the one hand claim to be protecting Jews, and on the other hand use the "Soros" and "Internationalist" tropes.
Change out Reform Jewish tradition for Conservative, and I cosign this post entirely.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Still not a Jew but if the shit hits the fan again I got y’all’s back.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Here comes Jared to reassure everyone that this is A-Ok!

Jared Kushner: President Trump Is Defending Jewish Students
As the poison of anti-Semitism spreads with dangerous violence throughout Europe, the Middle East, and even here at home — most recently in a horrific attack on Tuesday in Jersey City — President Trump is taking meaningful action to crush this evil.

On Wednesday, the president will sign an executive order to combat the rise of anti-Semitism on American college campuses. As a grandchild of Holocaust survivors, I understand the horrors of anti-Semitism. I could not be more proud of President Trump’s new policy.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:59 am Here comes Jared to reassure everyone that this is A-Ok!

Jared Kushner: President Trump Is Defending Jewish Students
As the poison of anti-Semitism spreads with dangerous violence throughout Europe, the Middle East, and even here at home — most recently in a horrific attack on Tuesday in Jersey City — President Trump is taking meaningful action to crush this evil.

On Wednesday, the president will sign an executive order to combat the rise of anti-Semitism on American college campuses. As a grandchild of Holocaust survivors, I understand the horrors of anti-Semitism. I could not be more proud of President Trump’s new policy.
As the husband of the grandchild of Holocaust survivors, I understand the horror of having the slimebag scion of a family of human filth speaking on my behalf.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Does one "practice" or "observe" a kosher diet?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I believe it's "Observe"...

Speaking of which, considering that Ivanna and Donald's spawn professes to be an orthodox Jew, she should probably know that these beans are (most likely) not kosher.

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:24 pm I believe it's "Observe"...

Speaking of which, considering that Ivanna and Donald's spawn professes to be an orthodox Jew, she should probably know that these beans are (most likely) not kosher.

Kosher
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

But only a "U"...

Alright, alright - איך בין געווען אומגערעכט
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:24 pm I believe it's "Observe"...

I thought it was 'Keep Kosher'...

And like Ivanka has ever had canned black beans in her life. Or canned anything, for that matter. Hell, she probably doesn't even know if there's a can opener in her own kitchen.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

She's never BOUGHT a can of canned black beans, I'd wager, but also that she's had them.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:14 am But only a "U"...

נסלח לך
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:48 am She's never BOUGHT a can of canned black beans, I'd wager, but also that she's had them.
Here's another wager: How many meals, in her life, do you think Ivanka has made all by herself? I'd say less then 20.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

You're saying since college, right? Because regardless of her upbringing, she definitely had at least 20 ramen noodles packets in college, particularly after slumming it in West Philly when she needed some dick and not from other Penn students.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bfj wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:56 am
Pruitt wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:14 am But only a "U"...

נסלח לך
א גרויסן דאנק

Feeling Yiddish as my late Mother's birthday was a few days ago.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:44 pm You're saying since college, right? Because regardless of her upbringing, she definitely had at least 20 ramen noodles packets in college, particularly after slumming it in West Philly when she needed some dick and not from other Penn students.
No way she knows how to turn on a stove. If she's exceeded 20 meals, I'd guess they were all cereal.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto