Coronavirus - All Sports

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I wonder if this is the sport that gets sued for unsafe work conditions. The NBA guys have grumbled a bit, but for the most part The League has done a good job of protecting the players.

We already saw a pretty coordinated effort from NFL players this weekend calling out their league for not having any kind of coordinated plan. Taking your lead from a WH that says "it is what is" regarding 140k dead and rising sure doesn't seem all that defensible... legally.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I think MLB is also a contender for the possibility of being sued. Just by not being in a bubble, there are so many more potential problems. The thought process seems to be, if we can just get this started, we'll be fine. Meanwhile, they're counting on every player, coach, trainer, front office member, support staff employee, etc. not getting sick and passing it along while at the same time not even having an established plan for frequency of testing. If the NFL is serious about having a whole season, they really should have something like a 20-person taxi squad for each team.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Big guy gonna love this one.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:30 pm

Big guy gonna love this one.
Does anyone even care what Trump thinks or says at this point?
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

HS sports in this part of NJ .. are delayed for one month -- so soccer, xc season won't start until October.
the boy is participating in captain's practices (coaches not allowed to run session so far) and the xc sessions (he is hedging.. may run xc instead of playing for the freshman team.. the varsity and jv are loaded already and since there are no cuts.. oh yeah.. my rant...)

club soccer.. after two weeks of training, playing scrimmages this week and next week (although schedule has been a bit modified due to heat wave)
the big season kickoff tournament in these parts..(i've bumped into Rass there before) is now cancelled
our home town club summer camps continue.. a bit of drama over the weekend and some on the board wanted to cave to pressure to remove all limits we put in place.. but common sense prevailed..
the leagues (MNJYSA and SYL) we play in.. are still going ahead.. so working through registration and forming new teams.. travel is far easier.. we also need to deal w the rec program (some 500 kids and some 100 parent coaches)..
and we reformed the board.. i'm still stuck at the top.

we played pick up game on Saturday - mix of old guys and HS kids. good turnout, good distancing. played on grass field at 8a at least so not as hot as it could have been.

played 9 holes Saturday after soccer.. walked it.. sun was a bit brutal, and my game was surprisingly on point (well at least my short game) and i managed to hold off the boy for yet another day
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:13 am HS sports in this part of NJ .. are delayed for one month -- so soccer, xc season won't start until October.
Is that a your school district thing? Haven't heard anything like that from ours, but it probably wouldn't take too many to change the schedule to get others to do the same.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Texas high school football was just delayed two weeks for A-4A, and a month for 5A-6A. I suspect there will be no football and this gives them a chance to keep pushing it back if the numbers don't get any better without a freakout that would certainly come if they canceled/postponed the season til January now.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Can't believe MMA did the "make your own island" thing and those guys didn't
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:34 pm Texas high school football was just delayed two weeks for A-4A, and a month for 5A-6A. I suspect there will be no football and this gives them a chance to keep pushing it back if the numbers don't get any better without a freakout that would certainly come if they canceled/postponed the season til January now.
California pushed back fall sports to December at the earliest.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:34 pm Texas high school football was just delayed two weeks for A-4A, and a month for 5A-6A. I suspect there will be no football and this gives them a chance to keep pushing it back if the numbers don't get any better without a freakout that would certainly come if they canceled/postponed the season til January now.
I imagine there will be a lot of those Seniors who play in the fall and graduate early that will still try to go to college early and do that "grayshirt" spring practice thing, but it might be with full squads if NCAA moves to spring football.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The most recent playoff game for a major American sport is still the Super Bowl.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(Longest stretch since June 21, 1994 (NBA Finals Game 7) to December 31, 1994 (NFL wild card).
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:39 pm
California pushed back fall sports to December at the earliest.
Washington has pushed fall sports to 2021.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Sucks I can't go to PNC to see Vlad Jr, Bichette, Biggio play...Toronto is going to play home games in Pittsburgh.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

rass wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:23 pm
elflaco2 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:13 am HS sports in this part of NJ .. are delayed for one month -- so soccer, xc season won't start until October.
Is that a your school district thing? Haven't heard anything like that from ours, but it probably wouldn't take too many to change the schedule to get others to do the same.
here it is
https://www.njsiaa.org/events-news-medi ... rts-season
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:53 am
rass wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:23 pm
here it is
https://www.njsiaa.org/events-news-medi ... rts-season
Thanks.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Well PA not allowing Blue Jays to play in Pittsburgh
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

It was 27 years ago. Even I got over it.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Officiating my first game since early March tonight. Club team setup a game for themselves. Supposed to do a lax tournament this weekend that keeps moving to other states do to changing Covid requirements and impact of out of state teams playing.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So one of the two pro outdoor lacrosse leagues (yes there are 2...at least for this year), has played a week of games at the Naval Academy. They have been playing all week. This league is in its 20th year but the stars are all playing in the other one (NBC coverage today of that one). Anyway those 6 teams got into Annapolis last Wednesday/Thursday. Have been holding up at a decent hotel and going to the fields. That is it. Anwyay, they get through a week of games (each team played 5 games with one rest day in this brutal heat). Today was supposed to be the semifinals---but 3 players tested positive this morning. They were on the #1 seeded team. So somehow the #4 seed and #1 seed forfeit and the championship tomorrow will be between the #2 and #3 seed.

The other league (PLL) is playing at Real Salt Lake's setup (same place the NWSL was setup). They all were self-quarantining for 14 days before traveling (league chartered flights) and will be in the bubble for 20 days. Be interesting to see if they make it through.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Fourth week of our camp... we've kept the same rules throughouth -- mainly no scrimmages, although we do have 1v1 and 2v2 drills. coaches and trainers have been great at keeping things rolling. we did have one issue last week where a kid's sibling tested positive (but not the kid).. the parent did not tell us (as they were supposed to) but we learned of it anyway.
notice went out to the pod participants that someone had been exposed.. no one failed to show up yesterday.

meeting w board tonight to discuss procedures on training sessions (what NJYS provided is very light on substance and the leagues have done even less) and the season... some want to have very detailed procedures.. i'm more for the CDC approach.. but then reading over the other threads...
maybe we just dont participate this season. punt all travel soccer til the spring.
what will do? for one, it will remove all responsibility from our all-volunteer organization should anyone get sick or exposed.. now i know we only have the kids maybe 6hrs a week.. and the rest of the time they aren't following any rules.. so what would happen? disappointment for sure by the kids, anger by some parents is likely, and can see the one or two coaches who will take their team to neighboring clubs.
we put out a call to all who registered in the spring.. see how many want to return... about 80% replied and of those only five are out..
we'd lose out on new u8 and u9 teams and those kids would likely go to neighboring towns..
that's travel.. the rec side of things is 500 kids.. i'm certain the mayor would tell us we have to play so the kids have something to do (especially as it looks like schools will be on 50/50 w option to be fully remote).

we say in our mission statement that we are here to teach the kids to play and love soccer, to give all (yes. all, different levels of play available) an opportunity to play and learn.. but once folks start getting sick... or worse when someone gets sick and doesn't tell us and others get sick.. we would likely be liable and likely blamed by folks in town.. either way we lose... fuck.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:12 pm So one of the two pro outdoor lacrosse leagues (yes there are 2...at least for this year), has played a week of games at the Naval Academy. They have been playing all week. This league is in its 20th year but the stars are all playing in the other one (NBC coverage today of that one). Anyway those 6 teams got into Annapolis last Wednesday/Thursday. Have been holding up at a decent hotel and going to the fields. That is it. Anwyay, they get through a week of games (each team played 5 games with one rest day in this brutal heat). Today was supposed to be the semifinals---but 3 players tested positive this morning. They were on the #1 seeded team. So somehow the #4 seed and #1 seed forfeit and the championship tomorrow will be between the #2 and #3 seed.

The other league (PLL) is playing at Real Salt Lake's setup (same place the NWSL was setup). They all were self-quarantining for 14 days before traveling (league chartered flights) and will be in the bubble for 20 days. Be interesting to see if they make it through.
Even in a state is well-prepped as MD, I just don't see how a bunch of lax dudes are going to park it in the middle of Annapolis and not have at least a handful hit Ram's Head and do something stupid. I feel like you have to have buses that take them to a nice property away from town for this to work.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

CFL trying to organize a mini season hosted in Winnipeg, from mid-September to... December? Gonna see the fewest passing yards per game since the 20's. Could literally be -40 for the Grey Cup.

Canadian Premier League expected to announce similar plan tomorrow, with an MLS-style tournament held in PEI starting mid-August.

For both of these leagues, covid rates in the provinces aren't really a problem, but the fact that they rely so much on international players coming, which has shown to be a hurdle for health officials to give the go-ahead to.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

travzilla wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:22 pm CFL trying to organize a mini season hosted in Winnipeg, from mid-September to... December? Gonna see the fewest passing yards per game since the 20's. Could literally be -40 for the Grey Cup.

Canadian Premier League expected to announce similar plan tomorrow, with an MLS-style tournament held in PEI starting mid-August.

For both of these leagues, covid rates in the provinces aren't really a problem, but the fact that they rely so much on international players coming, which has shown to be a hurdle for health officials to give the go-ahead to.
Good point, what percentage of CFL players are American? Will they have to get special permission to enter the country?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:03 am Good point, what percentage of CFL players are American? Will they have to get special permission to enter the country?
It's about half Americans. I think the league has negotiated with the governments for permission. The CFL though does not have nearly the resources or capability to do the kinds of testing that the other major leagues are doing in their bubbles. I think if the Winnipeg plan goes through, it would be everyone tested upon arrival (likely combined with a quarantine period), then something like weekly testing and/or testing people showing symptoms. Also, needless to say Winnipeg in October is no DisneyLand, so I don't see how they expect to contain 1000 people in a true bubble, I imagine community contact would be inevitable. Of course if the province continues to have no cases and community transmission, the biggest risk is the players bringing it in, not them catching it from the public.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Good lord!

4 months in Winnipeg sounds like a nightmare.

CFL minimum salary is $65,000. That's a big ask.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:36 am Good lord!

4 months in Winnipeg sounds like a nightmare.

CFL minimum salary is $65,000. That's a big ask.
Well it could have been Regina ;).
Yeah I could easily see teams in struggle to fill the roster with CFL calibre players if and when a lot of them opt out.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Our youngest is officially opting out of the fall travel soccer season. As of now, we would have let her play if she wanted to, but are not going to force her. First time in 6 years that we'll have no fall soccer.

Oldest is still training her ass off as if there is going to be a XC season.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

what a thursday..
Last night we received a call directly from the coach, CSA is disbanding its older EDP teams - keeping only DA (or whatever its called now) and NL teams. The boy had been on the bubble to move up at beginning of the spring season that never happened... so they were kind enough to let us know, two weeks after all other clubs finished their tryouts, that his team is no more and best of luck.
the boy was out w friends until about 10 last night.. haven't told him yet... but i did manage to reach out to all clubs nearby about a tryout session, so far not so good. its going to break his heart and as father i hate that but also know such dissapointment can be a driver... he had been on the fence about doing xc instead of HS soccer because he knew he was plyaying club regardless.. so maybe not so much of a blow.. and maybe its the parents who feel it worse. this sucks either way.

and...
had a long chat w the guy who runs our rec division in our local travel club.. there's a growing push to pull out of travel and ic leagues for hte fall and just play in-town until the spring. going to set up a public meeting for tuesday.. so lots of politicking this weekend to get the board and coaches on board (at least two won't agree)

should've gone camping this weekend too!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

NCAA cans all Fall Championships for D3.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

update - the boy took it in stride and said, ok. cool. he didn't seemed too bummed out.

he has two tryouts lined up this week so far.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

No MAC-tion this fall...

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Told you guys to not be surprised if the MAC was first. Sun Belt and C-USA are next.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like those four words by Jordan won't get nearly enough attention as far as how they summarize the entire party ethos.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:05 am I feel like those four words by Jordan won't get nearly enough attention as far as how they summarize the entire party ethos.
College and pro football being played makes it easier to vote for Trump amongst a large swath of uneducated. Of course, these idiots know it. If they had managed the pandemic from the start, colleges probably could be doing in-person classes and college football probably could be played.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

board meeting tonight --
will be discussing whether to proceed w the season.
most parents responded they intend to play --
the two leagues we participate in - are playing -- although the travel league is not sure as to when they will start or if it will be 6 or 8 weeks (as opposed to the usual 10 weeks)
travel league provided two pages of guidelines for the season - none answer the most basic covid related questions.
the training group is getting quite demanding in their ask for us to commit (yearly cost is around $120K)...
at least one parent coach has opted out from running a team due to covid concerns.
HS sports although backed to oct 1.. are likely to get cancelled as well.
i'll be pushing for us to back out of the leagues until spring, and to enhance the rec program for all ages -- keep our kids playing soccer in town. no one wants the responsibility or liability.. but majority want to play.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Our league decided to just can the fall season. Could not get all of the clubs to agree. So our club is going in house/partnership with a handful of other clubs to let the kids play. As a coach our process is Masks at all time except players and coaches when on the field. I am expecting more protocols tonight. What I am looking forward to is telling parent that little Johnny needs to go home to get his mask and that if you don't wear a mask we don't want you anywhere near the fields for practice or games. Did I mention that one of the kids on my team is the son of Fox News on air talent. Super nice guy, never have seen him on TV so can't speak about his persona, views of the world.

At my son's age we have 35 kids registered for our level. There are probably another 80 or so kids at other levels in his age group (ECLN down through Rec).
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

alrightie...
lots of drama pre-meeting -- one of the board members (from the joining Rec club) sent out an email stating his position.. caused me a couple of hours of call and text managing people who were freaked out.

cut to the call, starting shortly after my work HH hour ended, martini glass just to the side. good meeting - laid out all options as we see them, agreed that if the leagues don't have a good protocol/guidance we bail (refund or not on the reg) - came up w three options (no one has the fortitude to go all in either way, but that's expected) - bau - play both leagues as usual; play enhanced rec program; allow option team by team.
then met w the coaches. all but one made it so decision was pretty unanimous. Ask the parents! actually, we did take a poll two months ago -- so we are taking another one just to be sure. likely will have 8 teams in a league and everyone else playing in town. Lots of work ahead of us. It was very positive and was pleasantly surprised that the usual asshats behaved themselves.

in other news -- the boy went to his second tryout w a new club -- he shone and was offered a spot. don't know what it means in terms of season play, but he'll have a chance to play w a top 25 team in the state.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You guys think its safe for the kids to play soccer? Worries me a bit that you all are talking no go. They are full go here. Kids team played a large tournament last weekend (we missed traveling and got blasted by some A-list comp including some out of state) and they have another this weekend with tons of teams. Ive been of the mind that its outdoors so its ok.