Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:17 am As with all things Trump there's no logic or plan behind it. I don't doubt he would love to employ plans to screw with voting and will do what he can where he can, but the truth is that's not much. He can try to intimidate states to restrict mail-in voting or absentee ballots but the states run their own elections. He can encourage Russia to hack the voting machines, but huge swings in votes would be noticeable so it would take a close election to really work to any kind of degree (and presumes that most states haven't taken steps to try and secure the machines).

Etc, etc. I share the trepidation and concern but the integrity of the election is probably about 98 percent secure. Let's hope that's enough.
Not only are elections run by states, but in many/most places counting is done in the counties with observers from the parties present.

If the Rs really could rig elections that badly, Obama wouldn’t have won twice. They’ve been insanely power-hungry for decades.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Post by P.D.X. »

mister d wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:54 am
P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:50 am I'm fairly convinced that his campaign is mostly about one more cash grab (donations are actively being funneled to his properties) with some laissez-faire authoritarianism, bullying, racism, etc. thrown in just because that's who he is and if that gets him re-elected then that's just gravy.
I would be more convinced of this if other at-risk Republicans were turning on him to save themselves.
That approach isn't exactly anathema to republican culture.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:03 pmIf the Rs really could rig elections that badly, Obama wouldn’t have won twice. They’ve been insanely power-hungry for decades.
I don’t think they’re rigging anything, I think they’re willing to allow outside interference and will hold “we were wrong to not invest in election security” in the back pocket the first time it’s caught/proven.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Here's an old fashioned term...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Some campaign staffer is kicking himself right now for not specifying to Trump that "Suburban Housewife" is a term to stay in closed discussions.

Can we bring back Barbara Walters? If only more reporters dealt with Trump the way she did.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

No GOP convention...

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

From New York magazine:
It seems as if the actual test here is whether or not a person who passes the dementia screening boasts about his performance in public as if it is proof of his genius, rather than evidence that his doctors suspected he is suffering serious cognitive impairment.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:37 pm No GOP convention...

Is it really his convention to cancel?
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

This piece by David Roth is excellent.
He has had exactly the presidency that his public life would suggest—a brazen win, followed by an inevitable decline born of laziness and pure hubristic dipshittery, and finally a catastrophic and vehemently denied collapse. This is the story of his life, and the story of his presidency.

But the pressures behind Trump’s failure did more than reiterate how manifestly incapable he is of doing the job he backed into four years ago. They brought every discordance that made this moment possible into harmony. The country has, belatedly and perhaps inevitably, come to mirror its leader. America itself was as uncanny and arbitrary and disastrously stupid as the president it elected on the day that it put Trump in office—just as angry, just as confused, just as unappeasable and deluded. It has only been in these last few bottomed-out weeks, though, that it has truly come to feel like him.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:03 pm Some campaign staffer is kicking himself right now for not specifying to Trump that "Suburban Housewife" is a term to stay in closed discussions.

Can we bring back Barbara Walters? If only more reporters dealt with Trump the way she did.

The fact that it took Chris Wallace and 3.5 years (really more like 4 or 5, depending on when he was taken seriously as a candidate) to actually have a "normal" adversarial or at least truthful conversation is an absolute failure on the part of the media.

I know this board has been all over this for many years, but it's fucking maddening.

"No they're not."

That's all you have to do. Call him on his lies, to his face. It's not that difficult
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:17 am

The fact that it took Chris Wallace and 3.5 years (really more like 4 or 5, depending on when he was taken seriously as a candidate) to actually have a "normal" adversarial or at least truthful conversation is an absolute failure on the part of the media.

I know this board has been all over this for many years, but it's fucking maddening.

"No they're not."

That's all you have to do. Call him on his lies, to his face. It's not that difficult
Part of the problem is that they are afraid of being attacked as being biased or unfair if they hold him accountable or push back. Plus he will cut access to a reporter who "treats him unfairly."
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

But at some point, just send someone in to take the hit... and be a hero to millions. Lester Holt really needs an open door to the Trump presidency? Fucking, who cares at this point. Light the mother fucker up, let him ban a network.

This is the leakiest WH in the modern era. It's not like not having "access" to Trump really means anything anymore.

I know what you're saying it traditionally correct. We are so far gone, those traditional rules should've been 86'd years ago.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It reminds me that the media has a liberal bias.

They're to pussy to piss off anyone. Collectively they are a bunch of bitches. You think anyone at Fox News would balk at the opportunity to be mean?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Crying.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The funny thing is is that he couldn't actually remember what the test was, he was just naming things that were right in front of him for his story.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:59 pm The funny thing is is that he couldn't actually remember what the test was, he was just naming things that were right in front of him for his story.
Jesus!

That didn't even occur to me.

Wow!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Crying again:

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jesus.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Whether they are seen as being good presidents or bad, I can guarantee that none of them was ever called a "whiny little bitch>'

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Yes, that is illegal.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I had to click on that tweet to make sure it was real
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

this is also real
“Randy Levine is a great friend of mine from the Yankees,” Mr. Trump, referring to the president of the baseball team, told reporters on Thursday as Dr. Fauci was preparing to take the mound. “And he asked me to throw out the first pitch, and I think I’m doing that on Aug. 15 at Yankee Stadium.”

There was one problem: Mr. Trump had not actually been invited on that day by the Yankees, according to one person with knowledge of Mr. Trump’s schedule. His announcement surprised both Yankees officials and the White House staff.

But Mr. Trump had been so annoyed by Dr. Fauci’s turn in the limelight, an official familiar with his reaction said, that he had directed his aides to call Yankees officials and make good on a longtime standing offer from Mr. Levine to throw out an opening pitch. But no date was ever finalized.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

As we see what’s going on in Portland which looks like a dress rehearsal for executing some form of urban or regional martial law in November, either right before or right after the “rigged” election that Trump will likely reject out of hand, which of our most significant adversaries (Russia, NK, China, Iran) has the most to gain by executing serious military provocation directly against the US at a critical moment to capitalize on the widespread chaos and confusion that will be born of a constitutional crisis?

I think it is something to ponder as during transition periods, as other countries try to push the envelope to see how the old chain of command is holding up during the lame duck timeframe. China was doing a little of this in late 2016 early 2017 in the South China see if I recall, or immediately after the inauguration.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:01 pm this is also real
“Randy Levine is a great friend of mine from the Yankees,” Mr. Trump, referring to the president of the baseball team, told reporters on Thursday as Dr. Fauci was preparing to take the mound. “And he asked me to throw out the first pitch, and I think I’m doing that on Aug. 15 at Yankee Stadium.”

There was one problem: Mr. Trump had not actually been invited on that day by the Yankees, according to one person with knowledge of Mr. Trump’s schedule. His announcement surprised both Yankees officials and the White House staff.

But Mr. Trump had been so annoyed by Dr. Fauci’s turn in the limelight, an official familiar with his reaction said, that he had directed his aides to call Yankees officials and make good on a longtime standing offer from Mr. Levine to throw out an opening pitch. But no date was ever finalized.
Called it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Moving 12,000 troops out of Germany seems like something Russia would like.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It is. Though I'd like to know the breakdown of where those troops are coming from.

Slowly over years and years we've been "de-colonizing" Germany in some sense and consolidating what's left around certain areas -- namely Kaiserslautern (near Ramstein) where I was.

Once I got there I was like "Jesus fuck, there are too many Americans here."

This list is a good indicator, and not all inclusive because it only lists Army installations: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... in_Germany

And, I mean, we have our own DoD Mountain resort there too, sooooo... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edelwei ... and_Resort

ETA

A bit more clarity on some things.
This includes shifting the F-16s from the 52nd Fighter Wing at Spangdahlem to Italy, effectively ending the U.S. mission at the German base. Additionally, the 100th Air Refueling Wing, which flies the KC-135 tanker, and 352nd Special Operations Wing will stay at Mildenhall instead of moving to Spangdahlem as planned.

Ramstein Air Base is unaffected, DOD officials said, and 24,000 personnel will remain in Germany.
In addition to moving the F-16s, EUCOM will relocate its own headquarters from Stuttgart, Germany, to Belgium. U.S. Africa Command will also move its headquarters out of Stuttgart. Its final location is yet to be determined, Wolters said.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:16 pm
Bark! Bark! Bark!
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:26 am
It's unbelievable. Nobody has ever seen GDP drop like this, people are saying it's the biggest drop in history, many people, very smart people, the smartest, all saying the biggest drop in GDP ever, and it's all because of Trump. What's that? I take no responsibility for this. It's because of Obama and the Leftist Radical Democrats. And if Hillary was President, it would have been much worse, because only I can save the economy and I saved it from falling 50%.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

And then there's this...

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Don't worry, here come the rules and norms to fix this.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I wish Obama floated a Tweet like this in 2016 just to watch heads explode.
-Pruitt