What?? Are you drinking?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: What?? Are you drinking?

Post by HaulCitgo »

Man you got that fancy shit tell us. Low cal IPA here. Not so exciting but it's hot and humid so can't go so dank yet.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:38 pm Man you got that fancy shit tell us. Low cal IPA here. Not so exciting but it's hot and humid so can't go so dank yet.
I had a slightly mighty dogfish earlier. Not my favorite.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

All dogfish pales/IPAs taste the same to be. 100% confident If you gave me 10 blind tasters, I could pick out theirs and Brooklyn.

(Hoppy blonde from Kane here. Fine, good changeup from the standards.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A lot of Pacifico today. With lime of course. I’m not an animal.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Old fashioned (Buffalo Trace)

Over-ginned during Walk Hard the other night and even though I went back to it after work yesterday I wanted a change up for the weekend and bought something brown (and more gin) today
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:52 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:42 pm I just put a DIPA in cold crash (2nd fermentation after dry hopping to clear the beer)
Did you do a second boil? I cold crash immediately after boiling the wort and strain the dry hop residue when transferring to a bottling bucket. I skip transferring to a secondary bucket, just seems like an opportunity to infect the beer, and I'm not too concerned with clarity or afraid of a little residue. Using the strainer at bottling bucket transfer left it pretty clear anyways.

I just ordered ingredients for a Black IPA.
Only one boil. I bring my wort down to 75 after the boil, I only go secondary if it's something that's got a lot of hops, I've never had a problem with infection. This DIPA had shitloads of hops so it would have been chunky if I didn't strain AND cold crash. I also legged this one and the last time I didn't cold crash I got hop residue in the keg tube and it was a pain in the ass, if I was bottling I'd probably not crashed (that's 45 degrees for 3-4 days.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Oh and this DIPA is fucking fantastic I do say so myself.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Negroni, negroni, porter, porter
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m almost out of beer. One Pacifico then one 21A Watermelon Wheat then gotta drink Tanya’s crappy ciders that are probably expired or switch to G&T. Though I do have lime so that’s no tragedy.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

First world problems.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pint of local ipa
2 shot of Whistle Pig rye
Couple hits on pen
Shared bottle of Sangiovese with wife
Cognac

I can’t complain
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

PROTIP: if you don’t have direct access to crushed ice but you have a kitchen mallet you can make your own. Gamechanger!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Swamp had itself a Saturday night looks like.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I drank enough that I got the stink eye from my wife when I got up this morning.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:44 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:52 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:42 pm I just put a DIPA in cold crash (2nd fermentation after dry hopping to clear the beer)
Did you do a second boil? I cold crash immediately after boiling the wort and strain the dry hop residue when transferring to a bottling bucket. I skip transferring to a secondary bucket, just seems like an opportunity to infect the beer, and I'm not too concerned with clarity or afraid of a little residue. Using the strainer at bottling bucket transfer left it pretty clear anyways.

I just ordered ingredients for a Black IPA.
Only one boil. I bring my wort down to 75 after the boil, I only go secondary if it's something that's got a lot of hops, I've never had a problem with infection. This DIPA had shitloads of hops so it would have been chunky if I didn't strain AND cold crash. I also legged this one and the last time I didn't cold crash I got hop residue in the keg tube and it was a pain in the ass, if I was bottling I'd probably not crashed (that's 45 degrees for 3-4 days.)
Ah, kegging. Sediment is probably more of an issue when kegging rather than bottling. Directions always call for secondary, and I did that the first two batches, but read that it's only necessary if you can't bottle within 3 weeks of brewing, as the spent yeast starts to give an off-flavor. I bought a strainer that goes over the bottling bucket, so I strain out the hop sediment that way, and leave a fair amount of sludge on the bottom of the fermenting bucket. That's worked well the last few batches. If I can get my bottles sanitized tonight, hoping to bottle this evening.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I've only got one keg, love to get another (or two) but wife thinks I'd drink too much (which is probably true) and she likes to hang on to beers and/or give them out as gifts..personally I'd like to brew enough that I only bought quality rather than the shelfies I get for mass consumption on Friday/Saturday or when can have guests again.

Bottling is a pain in the ass in cleaning all the bottles, typically some gets on the floor, etc. Keg I just sanitize, pour, carbonate, enjoy.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:56 pm I've only got one keg, love to get another (or two) but wife thinks I'd drink too much (which is probably true) and she likes to hang on to beers and/or give them out as gifts..personally I'd like to brew enough that I only bought quality rather than the shelfies I get for mass consumption on Friday/Saturday or when can have guests again.

Bottling is a pain in the ass in cleaning all the bottles, typically some gets on the floor, etc. Keg I just sanitize, pour, carbonate, enjoy.
I like giving out bottles, and I have too many new beers I want to try to get bogged down with a keg. I figure I give away 25-50% of the beer I brew, and I don't see having people over any time soon to share a keg. At least with bottles, I can drop them off at people's doorsteps.

BTW, just bottled this morning. ABV came in somewhere between 5-6%. Recipe didn't give an expectation of ABV, but my OG was exactly on point with the recipe at 1.060, and that seems about right, maybe too low, but at least there was discernible fermentation.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rush2112 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:56 pmBottling is a pain in the ass in cleaning all the bottles, typically some gets on the floor, etc. Keg I just sanitize, pour, carbonate, enjoy.
Have you ever split a batch, 1/2 keg and 1/2 bottle? I've had like two really good home brews ever and both were kegged and I've assumed it has to do with carbonation methods.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:52 am
Rush2112 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:56 pmBottling is a pain in the ass in cleaning all the bottles, typically some gets on the floor, etc. Keg I just sanitize, pour, carbonate, enjoy.
Have you ever split a batch, 1/2 keg and 1/2 bottle? I've had like two really good home brews ever and both were kegged and I've assumed it has to do with carbonation methods.
That's because yo never had mine!

I've never had a carbonation issue, but I don't like the yeast I've gotten in kits. I want to get a liquid yeast for better/more flavor profile choices, but I seem to order in warmer months, and don't trust the yeast will get to me alive. I should probably just buy it at a store...
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I meant because most people use sugars vs CO2 to bottle carbonate and I've assumed that taste takes the beer down a notch.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:52 am
I haven't gone 1/2 and 1/2 per se, but I typically brew 6-gallon batches so 5 in the keg and then have 5-6 bombers that I fill. I like kegging more because of the easy of it, and have had some over and under carb problems with beers...including a chocolate stout my wife and I made that a number of bottles didn't crab right, had one that did and it was fantastic, others were under-carbed, she liked them fine...but not for me.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Well, the sugar becomes C02. When you keg you literally control the pressure, with bottling you calculate the pressure you want by adding x amount of sugar, but it depends on temp of bottle conditioning, health of yeast in the bottle, if the cap is perfectly sealed, etc. etc.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But even in conversion, it would have to create some flavoring too though, right?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:29 pm But even in conversion, it would have to create some flavoring too though, right?

If you're using priming sugar nothing more CO2 and a really small amount of additional alcohol is created, but not really anything that will vary the taste. If you use some alternative sugar (honey, syrup, etc.) you'd have some additional flavours, but you really don't add much. Here are the amounts for 5 gallons of American IPA:

Table Sugar: 4.1 oz.
Corn Sugar: 4.5 oz.
DME - All Varieties: 6.0 oz.
Belgian Candy Syrup: 6.5 oz.
Belgian Candy Sugar: 5.5 oz.
Black Treacle: 4.7 oz.
Brown Sugar: 4.6 oz.
Corn Syrup: 6.0 oz.
Demarara: 4.1 oz.
DME - Laaglander: 8.2 oz.
Honey: 5.6 oz.
Invert Sugar Syrup: 4.5 oz.
Maple Syrup: 5.3 oz.
Molasses: 5.8 oz.
Rice Solids: 5.2 oz.
Sorghum Syrup: 6.0 oz.
Turbinado: 4.1 oz.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:29 pm But even in conversion, it would have to create some flavoring too though, right?
Ideally, the yeast eats all the sugar, so it doesn’t add any flavor. It’s a small amount of sugar boiled into a pint of water mixed with 5 gallons of beer, so there is no change in flavor.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Off today and tomorrow. Pimms cup. Always wanted to try and made plunge today. I like it a lot. Not potent but a solid flavor. Really tastes just like a coke root beer mix.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:22 pm Off today and tomorrow. Pimms cup. Always wanted to try and made plunge today. I like it a lot. Not potent but a solid flavor. Really tastes just like a coke root beer mix.
On your recommendation, I’m going to try that. I’ve been on a kick of trying new cocktails. Tonight it was a Sidecar (refreshing!)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Refreshing is definitely the best adjective for a Pimm's Cup, now I need to try a sidecar. Brought hooch with me to the mountains. Been making negronis and rusty nails. I think I prefer a blood and sand if I'm making scotch cocktails.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Drinking a Pimm’s Cup right now. Yes, refreshing. Made it with lemonade instead of 7-up.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sidecar: equal parts lemon juice, Cointreau, brandy.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:57 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:22 pm Off today and tomorrow. Pimms cup. Always wanted to try and made plunge today. I like it a lot. Not potent but a solid flavor. Really tastes just like a coke root beer mix.
On your recommendation, I’m going to try that. I’ve been on a kick of trying new cocktails. Tonight it was a Sidecar (refreshing!)
How did you have pimms laying around if you’d never had it before?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:23 am
sancarlos wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:57 pm
How did you have pimms laying around if you’d never had it before?
The wife. She has several bottles of esoteric things in our liquor cabinet that I have never touched.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:07 am The wife. She has several bottles of esoteric things in our liquor cabinet that I have never touched.
I'll be she has a bottle of St. Germain in there. If so, give it a try. It's very tasty.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:19 am
sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:07 am The wife. She has several bottles of esoteric things in our liquor cabinet that I have never touched.
I'll be she has a bottle of St. Germain in there. If so, give it a try. It's very tasty.
Yes and yes.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:22 am
Sabo wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:19 am
Yes and yes.
While you're at it sampling hooch with the name "St.", get theeself some St. George Botanivoire gin for a negroni. The St. George Terroir gin will do as well.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’m not familiar with St. George gin. Will have to try some.

Lately we’ve been enjoying cocktails that feature gin and lemon. My wife takes Kirkland gin and infuses it with lots of lemon peel. (We have a lemon tree.) Nice!
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:30 pm I’m not familiar with St. George gin. Will have to try some.

Lately we’ve been enjoying cocktails that feature gin and lemon. My wife takes Kirkland gin and infuses it with lots of lemon peel. (We have a lemon tree.) Nice!
"we have a lemon tree" is such a cool low-key west coast flex.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

cerrano wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:35 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:30 pm I’m not familiar with St. George gin. Will have to try some.

Damn, I wasted 8+ years not doing it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:45 pm
cerrano wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:35 pm

Damn, I wasted 8+ years not doing it.
don't worry. climate change will make this possible in upstate ny in about 5 years. 10 tops.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Long week.

This Maker's Mark is mighty fine.

Cheers guys!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."