Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Post by Johnnie »

I have no faith in Americans if they think mail in voting and absentee voting are different.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:01 am I wish Obama floated a Tweet like this in 2016 just to watch heads explode.
I'm guess going to wildly speculate congressional Republicans will give the standard "Don being Don, he's not serious", they won't get pressed on it and they'll get the trial balloon data they want out of this.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Well, along these lines, Treasury takeover of USPS has been concluded, so mail ballots much more likely to not make it if people try and vote that way...

Also,

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hope he didn't kill anyone else and that his family can take solace in knowing his last act was in deference to a politician who hates them all.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:36 am Hope he didn't kill anyone else and that his family can take solace in knowing his last act was in deference to a politician who hates them all.
Goddamn, that is harsh. And I love it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Tots and pears.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Back to election postponement:

He knows he can't do it. He's trying to further delegitimize the election. He's also distracting from the putrid GDP numbers.

Fun fact: According to what I'm reading, his term ends on 20 January. Without an election, he goes bye bye and we get President Pelosi.

It's astounding how Trump can be so fucking incompetent at everything except social media and getting people's attentions.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:44 am Don't worry, here come the rules and norms to fix this.
Every day I thank God that our fundamental core structure as a country is basically just a fuckin' honor system.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 am
mister d wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:44 am Don't worry, here come the rules and norms to fix this.
Every day I thank God that our fundamental core structure as a country is basically just a fuckin' honor system.
Right? How could the Founders or every Congress since not have foreseen that a President might just refuse to follow the norms and etiquette holding our society together.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:13 am
Right? How could the Founders or every Congress since not have foreseen that a President might just refuse to follow the norms and etiquette holding our society together.
I think that's kind of a misinterpretation of the Constitution. What's supposed to hold the country together is the checks on power that each branch has, but when decades of shitty conservative legal decisions enhancing the power of the executive branch and a cult of personality preventing the legislative branch from choose to check the power the executive you get this.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:04 amIt's astounding how Trump can be so fucking incompetent at everything except social media and getting people's attentions.
Take your opinion of the average American's intellect and capacity for critical thought and drop it by about 30%. That should do most of the heavy lifting.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:32 am
Johnnie wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:04 amIt's astounding how Trump can be so fucking incompetent at everything except social media and getting people's attentions.
Take your opinion of the average American's intellect and capacity for critical thought and drop it by about 30%. That should do most of the heavy lifting.
"Think about how stupid the average person in and remember that 50% of them are dumber than that."

-George Carlin
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:18 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:13 am
I think that's kind of a misinterpretation of the Constitution. What's supposed to hold the country together is the checks on power that each branch has, but when decades of shitty conservative legal decisions enhancing the power of the executive branch and a cult of personality preventing the legislative branch from choose to check the power the executive you get this.
True, I oversimplified it and left off Congress needing to act and hold checks on the President. But the greater point is that nobody ever codified simple things, like requiring a President to divest himself of business interests before taking office. We relied on "well, every President has done it, and of course future Presidents will." I think nobody thought to make it a legal requirement, or having Presidential candidates submit tax returns, because everyone has done it so far, and it seemed like a candidate wouldn't get support without doing it.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, those are fair but those are mostly window dressing. The Republicans in Congress could have made Trump release his tax returns at any time and chose not to do so. You can't have laws on the books to account for literally any situation. Though hopefully if Biden wins and the Dems re-take the Senate a lot of these holes will be plugged.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:48 am Yeah, those are fair but those are mostly window dressing. The Republicans in Congress could have made Trump release his tax returns at any time and chose not to do so. You can't have laws on the books to account for literally any situation. Though hopefully if Biden wins and the Dems re-take the Senate a lot of these holes will be plugged.
I think its insane that there isn't a legal requirement for a President to divest business interests prior to taking office. Any other Federal employee would be immediately fired if there was even an appearance of impropriety between their job and a personal financial interest. That's one area where the Federal gov't doesn't play. You need written permission from a legal department to mow your neighbors lawn if they give you more than $10.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

mister d wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:36 am Hope he didn't kill anyone else and that his family can take solace in knowing his last act was in deference to a politician who hates them all.
I'm probably a terrible person for doing this. When I see in my social media feeds from Trump supporters that one of their loved ones died of COVID, I wish them my condolences, and then remind them that they would've had a better chance of being alive today if Hilary won.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:37 am
I'm probably a terrible person for doing this. When I see in my social media feeds from Trump supporters that one of their loved ones died of COVID, I wish them my condolences, and then remind them that they would've had a better chance of being alive today if Hilary won.
You offer condolences, which is more than some of us would do.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:04 am Fun fact: According to what I'm reading, his term ends on 20 January. Without an election, he goes bye bye and we get President Pelosi.
I don't think he or his followers have read any of the Constitution aside from cherry-picked parts of the 2nd Amendment.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Heh ...

(I know that wasn't actually Cain posting, but whatever.)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

From a comically inane presidential run to sexual assault allegations, to sycophancy towards racists...

What a fucking idiot. (Not "too soon")

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:04 am Back to election postponement:

He knows he can't do it. He's trying to further delegitimize the election. He's also distracting from the putrid GDP numbers.

Fun fact: According to what I'm reading, his term ends on 20 January. Without an election, he goes bye bye and we get President Pelosi.

It's astounding how Trump can be so fucking incompetent at everything except social media and getting people's attentions.
Pelosi term of speaker is up on January 8th..
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Took him 3.5 years but it looks like he finally united the country the way he always wanted to.

It saddens me that THIS was the line. Not federal secret police, not dealings with Russia, not squashing those accused of disloyalty.

This is the biggest trial balloon we've seen and I think it's pretty clear what people think of this shit.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

psunate77 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:26 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:04 am Back to election postponement:

Pelosi term of speaker is up on January 8th..
With no House, it would be the president pro tem of the Senate. With no election, the Dems would have an advantage in the Senate, so it would most likely be...President Chuck Schumer.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:05 amI think its insane that there isn't a legal requirement for a President to divest business interests prior to taking office.
The Constitution has two different emolument clauses that apply to the President, one foreign and one domestic.

As Brian (I think) said, the Founders didn't contemplate that Congress would refuse to enforce anything against the President.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This is...something.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Huh.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

So there is a bottom other than Lindsey Graham.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

re-impeachment?? He was never impeached.

It sucks, but Trump is going to be in office forever :(

BTW, So what are the chances the Republicans see Trump as an automatic loss, so they do dump him? Too late for that? Will they view Pence has having a better shot to beat Biden? Howe long before other Repubs start going away from Trump?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The POS took the tweet down - it had been pinned all day.

Replaced it with this.

See? Just a way to stimulate conversation.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

https://www.axios.com/republicans-trump ... 872a2.html

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.): “Never in the history of the country, through wars, depressions, and the Civil War have we ever not had a federally scheduled election on time, and we’ll find a way to do that again this Nov. 3 ... We’ll cope with whatever the situation is and have the election on Nov. 3 as already scheduled.”

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa): “It doesn’t matter what an individual in this country says, we still are a country based on the rule of law, we must follow the law until either the Constitution is changed or until the law is changed.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

psunate77 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:03 pm re-impeachment?? He was never impeached.

BTW, So what are the chances the Republicans see Trump as an automatic loss, so they do dump him? Too late for that? Will they view Pence has having a better shot to beat Biden? Howe long before other Repubs start going away from Trump?
He WAS impeached. He just wasn’t convicted.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:02 pm
psunate77 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:03 pm re-impeachment?? He was never impeached.

He WAS impeached. He just wasn’t convicted.
Thanks AB

And Nate, not that you want to burn a shit load of your life on this board, but the topic of when the GOP dumps Trump has been discussed rather exhaustively. If he doesn't start getting thing turned around, at some point September it's going to be full on rats off the ship.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:29 pm So there is a bottom other than Lindsey Graham.
Excellent.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh Jesus. This seems so plausible:

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean, if GOP leadership hadn't come out yesterday and bitch slapped Trump, sure... semi-plausible.

Doesn't seem all that likely a scenario at this point. NOBODY is buying his bullshit.

That thread also completely ignores the very real possibility that his own party is pretty rapidly moving into "he's dragging all of us down, time to abandon ship" mode. Yesterday was the first real sign, and we're not even into August yet.

Just wait and see how bad this is going to get in terms of polling as the RECESSION and PANDEMIC get worse.

He's fucked. (And a Fucking Moron.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:30 pm I mean, if GOP leadership hadn't come out yesterday and bitch slapped Trump, sure... semi-plausible.

Doesn't seem all that likely a scenario at this point. NOBODY is buying his bullshit.

That thread also completely ignores the very real possibility that his own party is pretty rapidly moving into "he's dragging all of us down, time to abandon ship" mode. Yesterday was the first real sign, and we're not even into August yet.

Just wait and see how bad this is going to get in terms of polling as the RECESSION and PANDEMIC get worse.

He's fucked. (And a Fucking Moron.)
Yeah, the scenario above requires the GOP to go all-in on dismantling our democracy once and for all. It appears their current strategy is to make things as difficult as possible financially and pandemic-wise for Biden, ideally (for them) with a majority in the Senate. If you're a Republican that seems like a best-case scenario. Then run a more palatable fascist like Tom Cotton in 2024.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Seth Abramson is good at making things sound plausible that really aren't. No way the entire Republican Party just boycotts the election.

The election will happen on November 3. If it's close, I would not be surprised to see shenanigans, like a Republican legislature voting to select the Trump's electors instead of waiting for recounts or whatever to be completely finished. (The Florida legislature went down this path in 2000, but they ultimately held back. I don't think they'd hold back this time.)

I also would not be surprised to see Trump work out a deal where he resigns in exchange for a pardon. That's fine with me. Get him the fuck out of office before he can hurt anyone else.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:44 pm Seth Abramson is good at making things sound plausible that really aren't. No way the entire Republican Party just boycotts the election.

The election will happen on November 3. If it's close, I would not be surprised to see shenanigans, like a Republican legislature voting to select the Trump's electors instead of waiting for recounts or whatever to be completely finished. (The Florida legislature went down this path in 2000, but they ultimately held back. I don't think they'd hold back this time.)

I also would not be surprised to see Trump work out a deal where he resigns in exchange for a pardon. That's fine with me. Get him the fuck out of office before he can hurt anyone else.
Plus, with all of the state criminal investigations, he can still go to prison.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:44 pm I also would not be surprised to see Trump work out a deal where he resigns in exchange for a pardon. That's fine with me. Get him the fuck out of office before he can hurt anyone else.
I am positive that IF Trump loses on Nov 3rd, he resigns on Nov. 4th. There's no fucking way he'd stick around and 'make nice' during a transition.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:17 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:44 pm I also would not be surprised to see Trump work out a deal where he resigns in exchange for a pardon. That's fine with me. Get him the fuck out of office before he can hurt anyone else.
I am positive that IF Trump loses on Nov 3rd, he resigns on Nov. 4th. There's no fucking way he'd stick around and 'make nice' during a transition.
No way, do you realize how much money he can pilfer between Nov 4th and January 20th? Not to mention, fire all of his perceived enemies and destroy whatever is left of Obama's progress.
-Pruitt