NCAA Football 2019 --> Offseason --> 2020

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Re: NCAA Football 2019 --> Offseason --> 2020

Post by psunate77 »

Pac12 released it's schedule, going to be different watching USC/UCLA play in week 1. Wonder if Mich/OSU will do the same?

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Also First Bowl to cancel is the Redbox bowl, but I expect more or all to cancel.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

UConn says no football this fall for them. This will only help there on field performance.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The CSU story sounds bad.

And things are not going well at Rutgers, so we'll see about that schedule...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:34 am The CSU story sounds bad.

And things are not going well at Rutgers, so we'll see about that schedule...
I pulled it from MGoBlog, where he was pretty much "I'm not going to burn a bunch of time analyzing a schedule I don't think is likely to occur."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I hang out on a D3 soccer board, because... Nerd.

Somewhere in June I rolled a grenade into a thread where there was all this conjecture about the Fall season. I basically said "What... we're going to risk the lives of coaches, staff, referees, etc so Johnny and Suzy can kick a ball around? What are you guys even talking about."

A couple of ppl agreed, the rest kept droning on, parsing official announcements to see if they were leaving certain scenarios open to playing reduced schedules or moving things to the Spring.

Popped in there today and talk has shifted to moving everything to the Spring. There are some very smart and very connected folks on that site, and they raising serious concerns with moving stuff to the Spring. There are resource issues for most D3 schools - field availability, locker rooms, trainers... Etc. It's not as simple as rescheduling.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Disappointing news from CSU, my alma mater. The new coach hasn't played a game yet, and he is already losing.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:51 am Disappointing news from CSU, my alma mater. The new coach hasn't played a game yet, and he is already losing.
If the allegations are true, then he should be on the rails.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:51 am Disappointing news from CSU, my alma mater. The new coach hasn't played a game yet, and he is already losing.
It's completely on brand for Addazio.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:50 pm
It's completely on brand for Addazio.
What I don't understand... In this case, or really across the country... You can cover things up initially, sure. But 2 or 3 weeks into any re-opening that's not taking it seriously, scores of people are going to get infected, many will get sick.

It's just so fucking stupid. What a bunch of fucking morons.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

One school tends to bend the rules... a lot... the other is sanctimonious and tends to lose... a lot.

Rinse-Repeat
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Colorado State probably should have a housecleaning in its very near future. A couple parts of note:
Those interviewed by the Coloradoan said the erosion of that credibility started at the beginning of (AD Joe) Parker’s tenure when he continued to employ (Larry) Eustachy for four years after the coach was the subject of a scathing internal report regarding player abuse in 2014.

They said that loss of trust continued when Parker failed to address player and staff complaints involving (Mike) Bobo, who they accused of making racially insensitive comments and verbally harassing assistant coaches, players and staff during his five years. Parker negotiated a $1.825 million buyout of Bobo, who went 28-35, after the 2019 season.
A member of CSU's football staff said Addazio has downplayed the COVID-19 health threat and Black Lives Matter movement, which have dominated public discussion in recent months, calling both a "distraction from football'' to be managed.

"He's smart enough not to come right out in public and say it, but he thinks BLM (Black Lives Matter) is a crock of s---, and that has come out in meetings,'' said the football staff member who wished to remain anonymous. "When we had the incident with the player (a Black CSU football player was held at gunpoint by a white man while working in Loveland), the players wanted to march with shirts that had BLM on it, make posters and say chants. He told them if you are going to do that we aren't marching."
"I was not shocked by what he said or did. Everyone has meltdowns and bad moments,'' said Stewart, who was a college All-American football player at Tulsa; was drafted and played in the NFL for 11 coaches who would go on to become head coaches in the NFL; and served as a family counselor for the military (DSG: he is currently a CSU mental health counselor). "But what disturbed me most about his behavior was the contemptuous and entitled way he acted like he could treat myself and the student-athlete any way he chose. In neither one of those situations was the player's welfare the most important concern.''

A football staff member said Addazio later "bragged'' to coaches at a meeting about the verbal berating he handed the player, who the staffer described as a sensitive kid who was sobbing after the encounter.

"He comes all animated about it and yelling and pretty proud of himself,'' the staffer said. "He says, 'This f------ douche bag (name omitted), I unloaded on him.'"
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Big 10 voted 12-2 to cancel the season.. Big 10 and Pac 12 will cancel on Tuesday, Big 12 later this week.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, just to round out the coverage: SEC trying to delay the start, looking to see if the ACC or Big 12 will join them.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Not so fast guys...

Executive order to follow?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:36 pm Not so fast guys...

Executive order to follow?
And a golf trip.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Any word on the other sports? Hoping football is an outlier and they go forward with non revenue sports. Of course, how can you have nonrevenue sports without the revenue.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Furlough the football coaches like they’re normal employees?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:52 pm Furlough the football coaches like they’re normal employees?
OK, that's a great idea.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Mountain West has also tapped out for the fall, looking toward spring.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:38 pm The Mountain West has also tapped out for the fall, looking toward spring.
The rest of the league is pulling out in solidarity with Colorado State?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

rass wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:32 pm
mister d wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:52 pm Furlough the football coaches like they’re normal employees?
OK, that's a great idea.
Coaches have contracts. Normal employees not so much.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:22 pm
rass wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:32 pm
OK, that's a great idea.
Coaches have contracts. Normal employees not so much.
Do you take a giant shit every time you enter a room or just here?

Just ban them from campus or from grinding tape.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Boise State furloughed its coaches earlier this year so no, contracts are not the barrier here
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:45 pm Boise State furloughed its coaches earlier this year so no, contracts are not the barrier here
Are there any potential public/private school issues that would affect this (although I imagine the private school coaches would go along with a short-term furlough for the PR angle)?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Depends on what you negotiate. Maybe the Boise coaches had less contract protections. If schools could simply furlough coaches, lots of guys would be getting furloughed for performance. Someone's probably reading force majeure type provisions pretty closely but smells like a breach to me.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think a lot of coaches took haircuts to their pay. The ones that didn’t were typically the programs that the athletic department doesn’t use the schools general find. Yes, UK is one of these.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Idiot posted this and pinned it...

Is he now going to add the NCAA to his list of those who hate America?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:20 pm Depends on what you negotiate. Maybe the Boise coaches had less contract protections. If schools could simply furlough coaches, lots of guys would be getting furloughed for performance. Someone's probably reading force majeure type provisions pretty closely but smells like a breach to me.
Boise State furloughed everyone making over a certain amount of money. Much of the football coaching staff was over that number. They got furloughed.

It wasn't indiscriminate. And, as AB noted, lots of coaches at other schools have taken pay cuts that effectively would cover a furlough period.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:11 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:45 pm Boise State furloughed its coaches earlier this year so no, contracts are not the barrier here
Are there any potential public/private school issues that would affect this (although I imagine the private school coaches would go along with a short-term furlough for the PR angle)?
I can't think of any glaring ones right now, but I've also been working way too long for a day I was supposed to have off. So maybe I'll think of something in the morning.

The benefit for private coaches is that they don't have their contracts released publicly in the USA Today database like every public school. But the "I took a 5% pay cut" is a nice thing to tout in a time like this.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:02 pm The Idiot posted this and pinned it...

Is he now going to add the NCAA to his list of those who hate America?
The NCAA really doesn't run the top level of college football like it does the college basketball tournament. The playoff board is made up of reps from each of the power five conferences and is run by them. There's no official NCAA involvement unlike the FCS and D2/D3 playoffs.

I don't say this to absolve the NCAA of anything of course. I think some stronger leadership could do wonders here. But there are also some distinct limits to its influence here -- especially when you consider that it gave the Power Five conferences autonomy now to make their own decisions
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:54 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:20 pm Depends on what you negotiate. Maybe the Boise coaches had less contract protections. If schools could simply furlough coaches, lots of guys would be getting furloughed for performance. Someone's probably reading force majeure type provisions pretty closely but smells like a breach to me.
Boise State furloughed everyone making over a certain amount of money. Much of the football coaching staff was over that number. They got furloughed.

It wasn't indiscriminate. And, as AB noted, lots of coaches at other schools have taken pay cuts that effectively would cover a furlough period.
But what gives you the right to do that? If I have an agreement saying I get x you can't say hey we breached our agreements with everyone so it's ok. Seems that those agreements permitted mandatory furloughs. I'd be surprised if big time coaches with greater leverage in contract negotiations have that.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Contracts usually aren’t “We will pay you $X ok bye”.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah. No telling. Lots of pages and all. There is a business here and lots of jobs so hopefully folks will stay employed.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think they're gonna cancel the season very soon and hide it under the auspices of player safety (Which is still a big part of it to be sure) but just as much to quash this union momentum.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:33 pm
This is what I've been saying to my friends and family.

We don't fucking know all of the residual, long-lasting effects of this thing. And now kids are getting it at a much faster clip.

But, yeah, 5 months of virtual learning is totally unacceptable and let's shove them all back into germ factories. Fuck it.