Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:21 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:17 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:44 pm I also would not be surprised to see Trump work out a deal where he resigns in exchange for a pardon. That's fine with me. Get him the fuck out of office before he can hurt anyone else.
I am positive that IF Trump loses on Nov 3rd, he resigns on Nov. 4th. There's no fucking way he'd stick around and 'make nice' during a transition.
No way, do you realize how much money he can pilfer between Nov 4th and January 20th? Not to mention, fire all of his perceived enemies and destroy whatever is left of Obama's progress.
He'll resign on like Jan. 18, so Pence can pardon him immediately after before Biden is sworn in on Jan. 20.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Post by sancarlos »

I’m glad you guys rebutted the Abrahamson tweet. Helped get me to come in off the ledge.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

These clowns would bungle it so bad it would be comical. Couldn't even do a simple shakedown of Ukraine.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:44 pm Seth Abramson is good at making things sound plausible that really aren't. No way the entire Republican Party just boycotts the election.

The election will happen on November 3. If it's close, I would not be surprised to see shenanigans, like a Republican legislature voting to select the Trump's electors instead of waiting for recounts or whatever to be completely finished. (The Florida legislature went down this path in 2000, but they ultimately held back. I don't think they'd hold back this time.)

I also would not be surprised to see Trump work out a deal where he resigns in exchange for a pardon. That's fine with me. Get him the fuck out of office before he can hurt anyone else.
Pardon for what?

Also, as much as I am anti-Trump, I really see him winning in November. Pains me to see if, but I am already setting myself up for it. No way do the repubs let him lose..
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

psunate77 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:43 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:44 pm Seth Abramson is good at making things sound plausible that really aren't. No way the entire Republican Party just boycotts the election.

The election will happen on November 3. If it's close, I would not be surprised to see shenanigans, like a Republican legislature voting to select the Trump's electors instead of waiting for recounts or whatever to be completely finished. (The Florida legislature went down this path in 2000, but they ultimately held back. I don't think they'd hold back this time.)

I also would not be surprised to see Trump work out a deal where he resigns in exchange for a pardon. That's fine with me. Get him the fuck out of office before he can hurt anyone else.
Pardon for what?

Also, as much as I am anti-Trump, I really see him winning in November. Pains me to see if, but I am already setting myself up for it. No way do the repubs let him lose..
Pardon for any crimes he may have committed. Like with Nixon.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In this resignation fantasy (far more of a reach than social chaos on election night), what’s Pence’s or the GOP’s motivation to go through with it rather than let him hang alone? Out of power he becomes useless at best.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Round it up by quartiles, dude.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

So Trump is signing an executive order banning TikTok from the US.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

psunate77 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 pm So Trump is signing an executive order banning TikTok from the US.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

psunate77 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 pm So Trump is signing an executive order banning TikTok from the US.
I am out of the loop on this particular madness. But if he’s pissed at tik tok, it’s gotta be because of Sarah Cooper. She’s a genius. Her latest, which I didn’t really have context to appreciate:

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Or maybe it’s this:

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

So now Trump wants to move the election up instead of delaying it..

https://www.salon.com/2020/07/31/one-da ... d_partner/
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Good lord, what a big bowl of stupid.

He can't ban a company, and he has absolutely no ability to do anything with the election date.

What a dumbass country we live in.

Here's an idea, media... How about you don't just report every dumb fucking word that comes out of his mouth/is typed on Twitter. It's really not all that newsworthy if it's just him blasting nonsense out of his massive asshole.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

psunate77 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:43 pm

Pardon for what?

The long list of crimes detailed in the Mueller Report for starters. The Mueller said he believed a sitting President can't be indicted by a Special Counsel, but then he laid out a list of crimes and said the remedy for a criminal President is impeachment, not indictment from a Special Counsel. Well, once he is no longer a sitting President, he can be indicted for those crimes.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

He's really going to lose the suburban housewives now that they know he wants to ban Tic Toc.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:05 am Good lord, what a big bowl of stupid.

He can't ban a company, and he has absolutely no ability to do anything with the election date.

What a dumbass country we live in.

Here's an idea, media... How about you don't just report every dumb fucking word that comes out of his mouth/is typed on Twitter. It's really not all that newsworthy if it's just him blasting nonsense out of his massive asshole.
I should've probably actually read about this. Citing security concerns over a Chinese-owned company isn't, actually, a horrible thing.

Stand by the media allowing folks to be distracted by his bullshit on moving election day.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I guess I must have drunkenly responded to a survey or something one night because one of my old email addresses is on the Trump campaign list (in addition to not remembering doing this I’ll cite that the emails address me as “Fu”). I get a ton of emails from the Dems and Biden, both of whom I’ve actually contributed to, but the volume of emails from Trump definitely exceeds those from his opponents. And while I get “Joe needs you to...” or “President Obama wants you to...” I’ve never gotten anything like this from the left side:
63528E86-20F0-4F79-920E-CC74EB8ED0C5.jpeg
63528E86-20F0-4F79-920E-CC74EB8ED0C5.jpeg (122.67 KiB) Viewed 808 times
That seems like a different level of pandering, right?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:58 pm I guess I must have drunkenly responded to a survey or something one night because one of my old email addresses is on the Trump campaign list (in addition to not remembering doing this I’ll cite that the emails address me as “Fu”). I get a ton of emails from the Dems and Biden, both of whom I’ve actually contributed to, but the volume of emails from Trump definitely exceeds those from his opponents. And while I get “Joe needs you to...” or “President Obama wants you to...” I’ve never gotten anything like this from the left side:

63528E86-20F0-4F79-920E-CC74EB8ED0C5.jpeg

That seems like a different level of pandering, right?
Apparently they’ve been really heavy handed on guilt tripping too. I guess all the experienced Republican campaign people are with the Lincoln Project.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I get all their shit and it's incredible 5 or 6 emails/texts a day and all in that weird panicky tone.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:11 am I get all their shit and it's incredible 5 or 6 emails/texts a day and all in that weird panicky tone.
Me, too. Although, most of it goes into the junk folder. Facebook ads, too.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The tone and usage of capitalization is reminiscent of any one of a million internet/e-mail scams.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

This cannot be real life. It just cannot.

travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:21 pm This cannot be real life. It just cannot.
looks like it's from a satire thread.

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Thank god.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Best response

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Does he realize he is President, and not head of the Gambino Family? At least he is asking for an extortion payment for the Treasury and not his personal bank account, so that is something. Either that, or he still has the mental faculties to privately ask for personal extortion payments.

-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

He so totally believes his own BS

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nice to see an interviewer taking him on.

Nuts.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Swan bothers me, he is so smarmy and arrogant, but this is the best I've seen any interviewer handle Trump since he announced his campaign in 2015. He did a great job of shutting Trump up whenever he started to rattle of his "accomplishments." I can't believe Trump actually stopped and let Swan switch the topics before he finished his off-point and mostly factually incorrect talking points. I guess with his lack of attention span, you can just switch gears and he lets you. The shear exasperation on Swan's face throughout the interview was priceless. I couldn't handle trying to hold a conversation with him.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A great description I saw on Twitter was Frost/Nixon if it was directed by Christopher Guest.

ETA: It was Charles Pierce in Esquire. I'm not a subscriber so I only get monthly limits to him.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:42 am A great description I saw on Twitter was Frost/Nixon if it was directed by Christopher Guest.
That's great!

And with Trump chanelling Nathan Thurm (Martin Short's defensive lawyer character)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

So why do you think it's taken 5+ years for an interviewer to actually challenge Trump? Was it for the yucks/ratings/thinking he couldn't possibly challenge Hillary?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:12 pm So why do you think it's taken 5+ years for an interviewer to actually challenge Trump? Was it for the yucks/ratings/thinking he couldn't possibly challenge Hillary?
I think you're overthinking it. It's probably pretty intimidating interviewing the president, regardless of who it is. And there is a point (I don't think Swan ever got there) where trying to call him out on his lies and obfuscations starts to look like you're just haranguing him. It's a finer line than a lot of people want to admit.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This interview is like trying to talk to your grandparent with dementia. He's literally incapable of understanding and answering questions. Then he trails off into a dumb story with preposterous ambiguity. And then he brings up stuff to boast about that has nothing to do with anything.

AND HIS FUCKING HANDS. OH MY CHRIST. STOP MOVING THEM LIKE THAT.

I give Jonathan Swan credit for his patience. I would've been swearing, rolling my eyes, and just become insulting.