The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Post by HaulCitgo »

Seems like kids with good heads. Will save you cash and agony going forward I'm sure.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:36 am
rass wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:49 amAlso, I was overruled/outvoted and my oldest will be starting her first job in the next week or two, working at an ice cream shop downtown. Their safety protocols, at least from a customer standpoint, seem very thorough and we've been comfortable getting ice cream there all summer long, but I would have preferred she wait until next year.
Yeah, my 17yo has been working this entire time, or at least since the initial six-week panic passed. I'd tell her no, but she'd do it anyway.
Yeah, my daughter in Seattle got into her major too late to register for any summer classes, and she didn't want to try to get a job related to her major because she just want to cool out with a mindless job. So, (over my objections), she is now a grill cook at fecking Chipotle (at least until school starts at the end of September.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:35 pm
rass wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:49 amAlso, I was overruled/outvoted and my oldest will be starting her first job in the next week or two, working at an ice cream shop downtown. Their safety protocols, at least from a customer standpoint, seem very thorough and we've been comfortable getting ice cream there all summer long, but I would have preferred she wait until next year.
Yeah, my 17yo has been working this entire time, or at least since the initial six-week panic passed. I'd tell her no, but she'd do it anyway.
Yeah, my daughter in Seattle got into her major too late to register for any summer classes, and she didn't want to try to get a job related to her major because she just want to cool out with a mindless job. So, (over my objections), she is now a grill cook at fecking Chipotle (at least until school starts at the end of September.)
Tell me you're getting a discount on that sweet, sweet Chipotle at least though!

(I (heart) Chipotle.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:41 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:35 pm
Yeah, my daughter in Seattle got into her major too late to register for any summer classes, and she didn't want to try to get a job related to her major because she just wanted to cool out with a mindless job. So, (over my objections), she is now a grill cook at fecking Chipotle (at least until school starts at the end of September.)
Tell me you're getting a discount on that sweet, sweet Chipotle at least though!

(I (heart) Chipotle.)
She does get free food out of it (at least she didn't go to work at McDonalds.) I get nothing. (And, I don't dislike Chipotle per se. I just stress over her working at a job that exposes her to Covid risk.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:45 pm Wife asking reasonable questions about the fall. I'll admit that there is little more intimate than a bunch of kids in a cabin but school is about a 6.5/10 if camp is a 10.

“June 18th, every staff member (no matter which week they would be working) for the upcoming season of YMCA Camp High Harbour - Lake Burton had reported for mandatory staff training to be held prior to the first campers arriving on Sunday, June 21st. Every staff member was required to test negative for COVID within 7 days of arriving at camp and their temperature was taken upon arrival. Through Saturday, June 20th, that group of people went through training. On Saturday afternoon, any staff member who would not be working the following week, went home. On Sunday June 21st campers arrived. Every camper was required to test negative for COVID within 7 days of arrival and their temperature was taken when they got there. By Tuesday, June 23rd, a staff member developed symptoms and immediately left camp, was tested for COVID and went home. The following day the results came back positive and he let the camp know. Meanwhile, other people at camp were also developing symptoms and being sent home. YMCA decided to shut down the camp for the season, but gave parents until Saturday to come pick up their kids. Some parents came right away, others not until the last minute. One of the nurses at camp says there were over 500 people at camp that week and that she sent home at least 60 people before Saturday (including both of her sons, one who is positive and the other who is negative). Her husband picked up her sons and he is now positive. That nurse recommended that my son get tested on his way home from camp, but the testing facility he had a confirmed appointment with closed. The YMCA arranged private COVID testing at their facility in Alpharetta on Sunday for any camper or staff member who had attended camp that week. It ran from 10am -4pm. My son had his COVID test as soon as they opened, and by 12:30 pm they had run out of tests. Three of my son's counselor friends were not able to get tested until Tuesday this week, because testing facilities are booked up days in advance. To date, my son is aware of over 100 counselors who are positive, including himself. The nurse at camp says "they" believe that the infection occurred during the staff training, prior to campers arriving. They say this because staff members who went to training and then went home because their week to work isn't until later in the summer, have tested positive. I was told that the director of the camp is positive. The information that the YMCA is releasing is not very transparent. To date, they announced one counselor had symptoms, left camp and tested positive. After the closing, they announced more people have been confirmed positive and encourage them to report it to GA Dept. of Public Health. Today they announced more positives including at their sister camp on Lake Allatoona.”

Nothing to see here. Carry on.

https://www.ajc.com/news/coronavirus/26 ... 3JOPUAVSY/

Meanwhile in person classes started in the Atlanta exurbs today. No mask necessary.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.11aliv ... e9c620095e
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

We have new thermal scanners for temperature checks when you come in to the office. I registered 108.5. I suppose I should go home, but I suspect I may already be dead.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

That's a radio, Aaron

(wait, no it's not...glad I'm on mute)
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:07 pm We have new thermal scanners for temperature checks when you come in to the office. I registered 108.5. I suppose I should go home, but I suspect I may already be dead.
Every time I've had one of those used on me it comes back as either 97.4 or 97.6, which leads me to believe everyone using them is purposely adjusting them to be one degree lower than dead nuts accurate, which kind of defeats the purpose of using them a little.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:50 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:07 pm We have new thermal scanners for temperature checks when you come in to the office. I registered 108.5. I suppose I should go home, but I suspect I may already be dead.
Every time I've had one of those used on me it comes back as either 97.4 or 97.6, which leads me to believe everyone using them is purposely adjusting them to be one degree lower than dead nuts accurate, which kind of defeats the purpose of using them a little.
I run low and was at 98.0 at the dentist today
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:50 pm
So far everyone else is coming in about 96-97. I tested at another one and got 97.9. which, maybe I have a fever?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well, looks like the first day is going well.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

In fairness to Paulding County Schools, they don't teach measurement until 12th grade. The Seniors are able to keep 6 feet apart because they understand the concept.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

How are kids supposed to socially distance there? Looks like its set up to fail.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:20 am How are kids supposed to socially distance there? Looks like its set up to fail.
Same way with my youngest's high school here. No way to distance at all.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The only way to social distance is to 1) reduce the number of students in school on any given day* and 2) stagger the start and stop times of classes, including much longer gaps between classes.

* - Some areas are doing this by last name... a-m goes to school M-W-Fr, while m-z goes T-TH and then flip it the next week.

It can be done, but you have to make an effort. That pic above is a freaking nightmare.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

It's good to see in our school district's reopening plan how "lockdown drills" will be staggered.

Sigh.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:25 am Gonna sign a lease for a shore house for the week of 8/22. Comes with a COVID19 related addendum that if travel or short-term rentals are banned again, or if the beaches are closed, we get a refund. Pet friendly, stayed in the same house last summer.
Just booked a different house in the same town for the following week. If there are no sports and both kids are 100% virtual I could probably be talked into going back later in September or early October...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:31 pm
rass wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:25 am Gonna sign a lease for a shore house for the week of 8/22. Comes with a COVID19 related addendum that if travel or short-term rentals are banned again, or if the beaches are closed, we get a refund. Pet friendly, stayed in the same house last summer.
Just booked a different house in the same town for the following week. If there are no sports and both kids are 100% virtual I could probably be talked into going back later in September or early October...
We've had our eyes peeled for months, looking at the same scenario.

What town are focused on?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

OCNJ
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Generally curious about whether a separate house/entrance was preference or a deal-breaker. We've debated a quick trip where we'd likely be in a hotel but have obviously not gone that route thinking its too risky, but if surface transmission isn't as widespread as initially thought and we limited our ins/outs and avoided elevators or any interactions, is it still unsafe?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We've just always done a house (technically duplexes, with completely separate entrances and living areas). Even acknowledging that people will be living in the houses the week before we get there, I don't think we would (I know I wouldn't) feel comfortable in a hotel yet (it's the NJ shore, so let's be honest and say motel). We always bring our own linens and Lysol the shit out of the house anyway.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:53 pmOCNJ
Address? Favorite spot on the beach? What color swim trunks should I be on the lookout for?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:31 pm We've just always done a house (technically duplexes, with completely separate entrances and living areas). Even acknowledging that people will be living in the houses the week before we get there, I don't think we would (I know I wouldn't) feel comfortable in a hotel yet (it's the NJ shore, so let's be honest and say motel). We always bring our own linens and Lysol the shit out of the house anyway.
My issue with condos, apartment, hotels and motels right now is airflow. And just a lot more people you don't have any control of in and out of the building and elevators.

We stayed in hotel in Denver to pick up my daughter's stuff, and again to go up to Boston from my boy's crap. I was generally OK with the experience, but not all that comfortable TBH.

A house... You go in and wipe it all down and then it's your space for the week. My wife and I stayed a nice little spot in RI in June and we both felt extremely comfortable. Just a different vibe (for us), when we control our space and contact with others to that extent.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just bought a new pair with frogs on them, actually. Should be here by the time we leave.

We've always stayed in the North End (or the Gardens), which is at the North end of the boardwalk. Just where we settled on the first year we went with an infant, guessing correctly it might be a little quieter but still within walking distance of everything. We've been going at the end of August for 8 or 9 years and the girls have friends they see every year. Really nice.

Second week we're staying almost all the way at the south end of the island. First time we've done that. It's about 30 blocks from the opposite end of the boardwalk, which the kids have already groused about but we couldn't find a pet-friendly place in our normal area when we searched last weekend. The island is only a couple of (developed) blocks wide in the far South, so it should be much less busy, which this year is OK with me

Sept/Oct prices are such that we could probably find a great place for well less than $1000 (or maybe right around that with the pet fee), with no downside other than a lack of (or at least decrease in) the presence of lifeguards.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:57 pm Just bought a new pair with frogs on them, actually. Should be here by the time we leave.

We've always stayed in the North End (or the Gardens), which is at the North end of the boardwalk. Just where we settled on the first year we went with an infant, guessing correctly it might be a little quieter but still within walking distance of everything. We've been going at the end of August for 8 or 9 years and the girls have friends they see every year. Really nice.

Second week we're staying almost all the way at the south end of the island. First time we've done that. It's about 30 blocks from the opposite end of the boardwalk, which the kids have already groused about but we couldn't find a pet-friendly place in our normal area when we searched last weekend. The island is only a couple of (developed) blocks wide in the far South, so it should be much less busy, which this year is OK with me

Sept/Oct prices are such that we could probably find a great place for well less than $1000 (or maybe right around that with the pet fee), with no downside other than a lack of (or at least decrease in) the presence of lifeguards.
you're gonna enjoy the southern end of the island once the girls strop grousing about it. or if they stop grousing about it. just a lot more relaxed.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Page 2- Anxiety solved!

Here's a hypothetical for law-types. Let's say two parents are about to choose to send a child back for two days a week starting in October and they're told that this is a "binding" decision until January. Then October comes and either A.) the situation is worse but plans stay the same or B.) the child goes to school but is miserable/scared/not learning...

Can a public school refuse to remotely educate that child if the parents wish to change their mind at any point?

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Ryan wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:46 pm Page 2- Anxiety solved!

Here's a hypothetical for law-types. Let's say two parents are about to choose to send a child back for two days a week starting in October and they're told that this is a "binding" decision until January. Then October comes and either A.) the situation is worse but plans stay the same or B.) the child goes to school but is miserable/scared/not learning...

Can a public school refuse to remotely educate that child if the parents wish to change their mind at any point?
Not a lawyer, but there is no binding contract between you and the school about hybrid learning. So if either A or B changes you tell the school to shove it up their collective asses. They have to provide the schooling. Unless they expel her.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just found out a guy I used to work with died of COVID this week. Not sure his exact age, but couldn't have been much older than about 60. Late 50s if my math from when he was at CMU is right.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We're so fucked...

So 250K people...in one space, no masks. And then they all go home to share the wealth...
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:10 pm We're so fucked...

So 250K people...in one space, no masks. And then they all go home to share the wealth...
Opportune time to bring in the National Guard and force quarantine. Between COVID and the hope they all turn on each other, we would have less of those mouth breathers to worry about.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Based on what I have seen in the last 48 hours, the 20-somethings of Milwaukee should get riddled with COVID.

That's not a wish, but a logical progression.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

JFC
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

rass wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:13 amJFC
No shit.

Way to be a Monday morning downer, AB.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Not even the return of Salma can cheer me up now.

What a grim reality.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Sharpies were the one good thing in my life...

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:20 am Sharpies were the one good thing in my life...
I'm ready to go back to sleep and try again next week.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So is it COVID fatigue or should I be worried that the numbers got pretty flat right about when the change of who got the statistics happened? How do we know if even the Johns Hopkins stuff is real?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Can you get more into what you mean by the numbers looking flat? We're losing about 1000 Americans every day at this point. We were at around 150k at the end of last week (thereabouts) and we are up to 161k as of this morning (last I checked.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.