Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:59 am
Reminds me of this:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

So they're just suing Nevada just to get the mail-in ballots hung up in legal limbo until the election, right? Seems risky to have mail-in ballots declared fair and legal in court if your campaign strategy rests on the premise that they're not fair and legal.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:38 am So they're just suing Nevada just to get the mail-in ballots hung up in legal limbo until the election, right? Seems risky to have mail-in ballots declared fair and legal in court if your campaign strategy rests on the premise that they're not fair and legal.
Given the stakes, it won't be hung up until the election. Other states have mail-in voting and have for decades in some cases. The courts will quickly swat this down.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:38 am So they're just suing Nevada just to get the mail-in ballots hung up in legal limbo until the election, right? Seems risky to have mail-in ballots declared fair and legal in court if your campaign strategy rests on the premise that they're not fair and legal.
Unless they are banking on dragging out the legal proceedings, or holding up the vote by mail process while waiting for courts to decide. OTOH, the actual results don't matter. Their mouth pieces can go on all the pundit shows saying how illegal Nevada's system is and just stop talking about it when the judgment comes in against them. The base will never know. They will believe the system is illegal and not think about it again, and any news factually reporting the judgment will be "fake news" and biased against Trump.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

So apparently Trump is going to accept the Republican nomination at the White House..

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/510 ... even-legal
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

psunate77 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:23 pm So apparently Trump is going to accept the Republican nomination at the White House..

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/510 ... even-legal
Trump flaunting campaign and election laws? Shocking! Of course it's illegal or at best an ethics violation, but it's not as bad as his campaigning during COVID press conferences which is illegal, yet he does it every single time.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, no... That's a very clear Hatch Act violation.

Shit, on the Hill, members have to walk down the street from their office building to make any kind of campaign related calls. You can't sit in the WH and just be 100 percent campaign focused.

The fact that Trump just vomits this obviously illegal plan is just another sign of him just not giving a fuck. Not in terms of knowingly violating a law. He can't be bothered to even have a basic understanding.

OR... or, he's just trolling.

Honestly... 50-50 for me on that call.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My next door neighbor works for the Agency that is responsible for enforcing the Hatch act. She is a lawyer and it is a VERY small office. She is not a political appointment, but her boss is (and she actually says he is a pretty good person and not really political in the role). I once waiting for our kids to get off the bus made a comment that she must be pretty busy with all of the potential violations. She just looked at me in all seriousness and said that the number of memos she has written was through the roof.

On the other side, my buddy who is the SW VA district chief USADA can't even bring his Donald Pump & AbeBroham Lincoln coffee mugs out at home because of the risk they show up on a zoom meeting (In my zoom background some people see my Kid Rock for Senate Hat).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:57 pm My next door neighbor works for the Agency that is responsible for enforcing the Hatch act. She is a lawyer and it is a VERY small office. She is not a political appointment, but her boss is (and she actually says he is a pretty good person and not really political in the role). I once waiting for our kids to get off the bus made a comment that she must be pretty busy with all of the potential violations. She just looked at me in all seriousness and said that the number of memos she has written was through the roof.

On the other side, my buddy who is the SW VA district chief USADA can't even bring his Donald Pump & AbeBroham Lincoln coffee mugs out at home because of the risk they show up on a zoom meeting (In my zoom background some people see my Kid Rock for Senate Hat).
Ask your Hatch Act friend if she is soliciting volunteers to help with the overflow of work.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:03 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:57 pm My next door neighbor works for the Agency that is responsible for enforcing the Hatch act. She is a lawyer and it is a VERY small office. She is not a political appointment, but her boss is (and she actually says he is a pretty good person and not really political in the role). I once waiting for our kids to get off the bus made a comment that she must be pretty busy with all of the potential violations. She just looked at me in all seriousness and said that the number of memos she has written was through the roof.

Ask your Hatch Act friend if she is soliciting volunteers to help with the overflow of work.
As you can see from behavior, does not feel like the memos result in anything impactful. My guess is impact is at the troop level (complaining about coffee cups that Fred and William are using). Or on the other hand could you imagine what would happen if they were not doing the work.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

You can't make this up..

"Donald Trump reportedly told a room of his top aides that he is in charge of the Hatch Act, when warned by his chief of staff that bringing his cabinet members to a campaign rally could violate ethics rules."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 66876.html
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I honestly think he thinks that those sorts of ethics rules are for suckers and pussies. The true strong, successful businessman takes every advantage he can get. Anyone who doesn't doesn't have the balls to play this game. I bet Trump used to jerk off to Alec Baldwin's speech in Glengarry Glen Ross.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Oh. That's considered abnormal?

(* - Adds to lengthy list.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But you guys do realize Trump is right, correct? Everything he's saying he can do, he absolutely can because no one stops him.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sometimes I think Trump is Calvin come to life.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Anxiously awaiting the 11:30 NYAG press conference.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ched I hope this "national" announcement today is a new full band album without any guests ha ha ha!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The fact that the AG of New York is a Black woman makes it so sweet...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Oh Boy

Disappointed that this is the big PC.. This will never happen.

Last edited by psunate77 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

...nails the crux of everything over the fcuking past 4 years...

what's up Mr Delaware :)
mister d wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:53 pm But you guys do realize Trump is right, correct? Everything he's saying he can do, he absolutely can because no one stops him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

psunate77 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:41 am Oh Boy

Why not? The NRA is registered in NY and is tens of millions of dollars in debt with almost no way to mount a serious legal defense. If they're found to have committed fraud on the scale of tens of millions of dollars, dissolving the organization is the only remedy since they can't pay a fine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Couldn't/wouldn't they just reform the NAR (national association of rifles)?

And hi Max! Big hugs!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:58 pm I honestly think he thinks that those sorts of ethics rules are for suckers and pussies. The true strong, successful businessman takes every advantage he can get.
100% agree with this. It's the mindset of a sociopath or a psychopath. Only an idiot would follow rules that limit their ability to make money, and they are the first people to stretch the rules to enforce on others when it's in their interest. He's openly said as much numerous times during the 2016 campaign. He had an answer that I thought was legit great during one of the debates when asked about taking advantage of tax laws or campaign finance or something. He said the system sucks and he knows how to exploit the system for his benefit. I think this is where the NY AG is going after him, for fraudulently over-valuing his assets for loan purposes while under-valuing the same assets for tax purposes.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:47 am
psunate77 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:41 am Oh Boy

Why not? The NRA is registered in NY and is tens of millions of dollars in debt with almost no way to mount a serious legal defense. If they're found to have committed fraud on the scale of tens of millions of dollars, dissolving the organization is the only remedy since they can't pay a fine.
While this might be the right move in the name of justice, politically this is going to light a huge fire under the gun rights crowd. "Holy shit, they are taking out the NRA then they are coming for our guns!" I'm actually surprised the NRA didn't face any consequences for funneling Russian money into the RNC campaign coffers in 2016, I really thought when they indicted the Russian woman as a government agent who infiltrated the NRA (you know, the same woman Trump hand selected to ask the first question at a press conference a while back) that there would be charges. So naive back in those days, thinking the Justice Department could withstand the pressures of politics, or would get protection from Congress to do their job and not act as the personal law firm of the President.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

hugs (with distancing) right back
mister d wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:48 am And hi Max! Big hugs!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:49 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:58 pm I honestly think he thinks that those sorts of ethics rules are for suckers and pussies. The true strong, successful businessman takes every advantage he can get.
100% agree with this. It's the mindset of a sociopath or a psychopath. Only an idiot would follow rules that limit their ability to make money, and they are the first people to stretch the rules to enforce on others when it's in their interest. He's openly said as much numerous times during the 2016 campaign. He had an answer that I thought was legit great during one of the debates when asked about taking advantage of tax laws or campaign finance or something. He said the system sucks and he knows how to exploit the system for his benefit. I think this is where the NY AG is going after him, for fraudulently over-valuing his assets for loan purposes while under-valuing the same assets for tax purposes.
Does the Hatch Act actually apply to a president? Does Congress have the power to put such limits on the President, given that they are co-equal under the Constitution?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:58 am
Does the Hatch Act actually apply to a president? Does Congress have the power to put such limits on the President, given that they are co-equal under the Constitution?
Are you really asking this? Isn't it the very definition of checks and balances?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:17 pm
Are you really asking this? Isn't it the very definition of checks and balances?
Not necessarily. Checks and balances doesn't give Congress power over the President except for things like impeachment.

According to the US Office of Special Counsel, the Hatch Act does not apply to the President or Vice President. This squares with my understanding also.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

I don't agree with James timing for this stuff with the NRA.. If anything people will turn this into they are coming for our guns stuff and it will only help Trump IMO.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:13 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:17 pm
Not necessarily. Checks and balances doesn't give Congress power over the President except for things like impeachment.

According to the US Office of Special Counsel, the Hatch Act does not apply to the President or Vice President. This squares with my understanding also.
I don't know about the Hatch Act specifically, but it seems the President doesn't have to comply with the ethical rules and regulations that apply to all other federal employees. The President isn't subject to a background investigation or security clearance measures, they apparently don't need to submit tax returns, and they are allowed to accept gifts from foreign governments (despite the emoluments clause in Article II of the Constitution clearly prohibiting accepting gifts).
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"Thighland".

Arguably the craziest part is where he praises the leaders of Vietnam and Thailand afterwards, apparently forgetting that Vietnam is still Communist and Thailand is run by a military junta.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:35 pm "Thighland".

Arguably the craziest part is where he praises the leaders of Vietnam and Thailand afterwards, apparently forgetting that Vietnam is still Communist and Thailand is run by a military junta.
He would have to know those facts first.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:35 pm "Thighland".
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

psunate77 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:24 pm
Possible sting op...

Is it not out of the realm of possibility that Trump would sell out his entire campaign staff for $10MM?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

"Look everyone we're taking election security seriously."