Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

Re: Swampers on the golf course

Post by Sabo »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:07 pm
Sabo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:00 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:15 pm has anyone played Vice golf balls? I've been playing refurb Bridgestone B330s and Pro V1s but went ahead and pulled the trigger on 5 dozen Vice Pro Pluses because they were pretty cheap direct from them. Gonna take a while to ship from Germany of all places, but they've been getting good reviews in the golf publications + a couple people I've played with over the last few months have vouched for their top line stuff.
I've found a few of them but haven't played them. I read they were very good balls for the price. I'm still sticking with the Kirkland Signature golf balls, which are very comparable to Pro V1s and only cost $30 for two dozen.

I've played five rounds this year and have a tee time scheduled for Saturday. I'm going to try to play Sunday too, but that might depend on the weather. It's been a great way to get out of the house for several hours.
did you horde the original kirklands?!? those are like liquid gold since they've been discontinued and impossible to find.
I bought a couple of boxes online last year and I haven't needed to buy any more since then. But Coscto won that lawsuit against Acushnet, so they're making them again. My local Costco had a couple hundred boxes of Kirkland Signature golf balls for sale the last few times I've been there.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

oh shit, they did? I have no idea how I missed that.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

but are you referring to the three-piece or four-piece balls? I've seen the three-piece ones around and on their website, but those apparently are nothing like the previous ones that led to the suit
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

They settled but I don’t think the kirckland balls you get are the four piece ones that caused the uproar. So they are a nice ball but I used a couple yesterday and the ones I have are no pro v. But if you see they have the four piece ones in stock you sure as shit better let me nnow
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ha ha. Same.

Also there is a review of balls In the latest golf digest. Will post what they say when I get back to the computer. It’s the usual suspects I believe.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:17 pm but are you referring to the three-piece or four-piece balls? I've seen the three-piece ones around and on their website, but those apparently are nothing like the previous ones that led to the suit
The ones I bought on Costco.com last year are three-piece balls, and that's what they're selling online, too. They seem to work just as well as the KS balls I had before the lawsuit.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Sabo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:58 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:17 pm but are you referring to the three-piece or four-piece balls? I've seen the three-piece ones around and on their website, but those apparently are nothing like the previous ones that led to the suit
The ones I bought on Costco.com last year are three-piece balls, and that's what they're selling online, too. They seem to work just as well as the KS balls I had before the lawsuit.
I have tried the three-piece too after finding them on the course randomly and have had no issues -- but I am also not *that* good to where I can justifiably bitch and say "well if I was playing that four-piece ball I would have stopped that pin high!"
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:20 amI have tried the three-piece too after finding them on the course randomly and have had no issues -- but I am also not *that* good to where I can justifiably bitch and say "well if I was playing that four-piece ball I would have stopped that pin high!"
I've never had problems with the three-piece KS ball not spinning enough. In fact, there are times I wish it didn't check up on the green as much as it does. What I like about the KS ball is it has a very soft feel, so I know when I've hit it well (hush your mouth, AB).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Golf diges rates the Pro V1/x, Bridgestone Tour and Callaway chrome soft a cut above. The Taylormade TP5 and a few others just below.

For more affordable, the Bridgestone 12 and Vice Pro balls were rated highly. Taylormade tour response as well.

For the cheapos like me, the Bridgestone 6 (which I really like) and Callaway supersoft look like the better of the value balls.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’ve found it’s always best to use sub-optimal equipment. That way you have an excuse when you shank one into the woods.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

to keep the Costco conversation going, they're making a putter
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:29 am I’ve found it’s always best to use sub-optimal equipment. That way you have an excuse when you shank one into the woods.
A few years ago I took a bunch of lessons, and I asked the instructor if it really made a difference which balls you use. He said "Not the way you play."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I got a par on my second hole in 4.5 years.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Giff wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:53 am I got a par on my second hole in 4.5 years.
Which side of the clown’s mouth did you aim for.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:45 pm
Giff wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:53 am I got a par on my second hole in 4.5 years.
Which side of the clown’s mouth did you aim for.
Always go left.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I played twice this weekend and shot 86 both days. Even better were my putting stats, as I had 25 putts on Saturday and 28 putts on Sunday, with only one three putt for the two rounds. Putting has always been a weakness in my game, so I'm pretty ecstatic with my play this weekend.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I went 83, 88 and then an 86 today over the past four days. kinda pissed about today's score as I had two doubles and a triple on the back nine while holing out for eagle from 150 on the toughest hole on the course
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Is a Covid hole in one a hole in one or * hole in one
https://www.wsj.com/articles/hole-in-on ... listc_pos3
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'd for damn sure count it if it the ball was rolling when it hit the foam. If it hit on the fly or on a big bounce, i'd take the asterisk.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:40 am Is a Covid hole in one a hole in one or * hole in one
https://www.wsj.com/articles/hole-in-on ... listc_pos3
Oddly, I was concerned about that.

Akin to worrying about what I'll do after I win the lottery.

Our Premier is probably going to let courses open next week. I am beyond excited!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Doesn't count. I nearly holed out on a short par 4 once on a terrible, rock hard course where >1/3 of the drive was bounce and roll and I think I'm glad I didn't. Seems fake.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:52 am Doesn't count. I nearly holed out on a short par 4 once on a terrible, rock hard course where >1/3 of the drive was bounce and roll and I think I'm glad I didn't. Seems fake.
Because all the other golfers were playing different conditions that day?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:27 am
mister d wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:52 am Doesn't count. I nearly holed out on a short par 4 once on a terrible, rock hard course where >1/3 of the drive was bounce and roll and I think I'm glad I didn't. Seems fake.
I don't care about a pissing match between what qualifies as an ace, but it is a strange thing in that that I've holed out from over 150 yards a couple times before but have no recorded aces. No one gives a shit about the first one even though it's arguably a more difficult shot.

(Aces for people who aren't sub-scratch golfers are 95% luck. Take the credit.)
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:04 pm

(Aces for people who aren't sub-scratch golfers are 95% luck. Take the credit.)
That article mentioned that of 70,000 par threes played on tour, there were just 38 aces. They're 95% luck for everyone.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nah, because once I left the course if it ever came up in conversation, I'd feel the need to offer that huge caveat whereas rolling one in on a par 3 would feel pure.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:09 pm
Nah, because once I left the course if it ever came up in conversation, I'd feel the need to offer that huge caveat whereas rolling one in on a par 3 would feel pure.
I hope you play St. Andrews some day and this same thing happens. Course is the course! Not your fault! I don't think many people would expect a regular joe golfer to make an ace on a par four and then ask you did you play a cut or a fade to control the bounce.

The real question is...did you make the eagle?

ETA: My longest drive ever is in the 360 range or so. Shit yeah it was downhill and downwind!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'm planning on doing an amateur long drive event this year, if we ever get back to somewhat normalcy. Hopefully it is both downhill and downwind.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

First round of the year - 65 degrees, not a cloud in the sky and a decent round for my first time out.

Man, it's great to be out.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:40 pm First round of the year - 65
Nice. Shoulda played 18.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:16 pm
Pruitt wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:40 pm First round of the year - 65
Nice. Shoulda played 18.
Ha!

that was my 12 hole score.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Fuckin Canadian rules golf.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Glad youre alive. Was is the Rona? Heard you ce up negative but sounded like Rona.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

BiL and I both got memberships at the local muni, which is a pretty fine course. We have locked in the 8am tee time for Sat/Sun for the rest of the year, so I’ve been playing ~2.5x’s/wk for the last month and my game has really come around. In the 70’s now with some regularity for the first time since I was in high school. Played a partial round after work yesterday. Lots of slow players on course, so I played 1-7, then jumped over to finish 14-18. Was -1 through 6 and hit 5/5 fairways and 6/6 greens to that point. Absolutely bombed a couple off the tee, including a 340yd monster (carried ~305 and then hit cart path) where I had to chip BACK to the stick on a par 4. Also went for the most difficult carry- a 305yd par 4 but protected by water, so carry must be 260 minimum- and was on the fringe.

Now if I could just learn to putt...
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

I struggled with my driver all last year, and then it got broke while traveling in feb. I hadn’t replaced the shaft so have been going 3wd off the tee for months. Finally fixed that baby two weeks ago and it’s made a huge difference.

Also finally figured out that I was significantly over swinging. I’ve slowed my tempo way down and am so much more consistent. Forcing myself to hit on the range once a week has really helped with that. And as almost always in golf, swinging easier and I am hitting the ball much further.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shot a 38 on the front earlier this week. 5 pars and a birdie. Ended with 85 but still...kinda of a big deal for me. Had a second birdie on the back which I believe is another first.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Which mini golf course did you play?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Square Rob wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:15 am I struggled with my driver all last year, and then it got broke while traveling in feb. I hadn’t replaced the shaft so have been going 3wd off the tee for months. Finally fixed that baby two weeks ago and it’s made a huge difference.

Also finally figured out that I was significantly over swinging. I’ve slowed my tempo way down and am so much more consistent. Forcing myself to hit on the range once a week has really helped with that. And as almost always in golf, swinging easier and I am hitting the ball much further.
this sounds familiar

I'm having troubles syncing my hips with my arms (edit that fuckers). I played in the club championship last weekend and worked on the range all week before. shot an 81 with my golf group on Friday and then went 96-95 on the weekend because ... I was bad on everything. only played once this last week and was bad again. It's weird. I was basically hovering around 85 splitting time with the back/second back tees and have just shit myself because I'm overswinging trying to hit the ball 315 yards each drive ... when I can consistently hit it straight 275 legitimately if I actually slow down and focus on good contact.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Inshot a 97 today because my short game was crap. I need to get back to just getting the ball on the green instead of trying to get chips close. I lost so many strokes from 25 yards and in. I’m not a terrible putter so just put it on the green and work it. But no I left five or six shots short of green on chips. Fuck golf.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:12 pm Which mini golf course did you play?
https://www.ctnationalgolf.com/teetimes/scorecard/

Yes, there are 3 par 3's on the front but still a par 35...same as this course in SanFran.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

yeah but did you play the ladies tees