Return of Confessions

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:13 am My Nike slides are wearing down and I'm considering buying some Crocs to replace them...
I only wear adidas slides anymore. ANd not the ones with those weird bubble soles.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Try some Oofos.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:13 am My Nike slides are wearing down and I'm considering buying some Crocs to replace them...
I own a pair of these. Incredibly comfortable. My wife hates them and my son makes fun because they were made by Crocs. IDGAF, they are the most comfortable shoes ever. The traditional Crocs, however, you can't pull them off unless you are a nurse or Mario Batali.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

But the OOcloog doesn't have any place for my jibbitz!

(thanks, I'll check them out)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:47 am
I own a pair of these. Incredibly comfortable. My wife hates them and my son makes fun because they were made by Crocs. IDGAF, they are the most comfortable shoes ever. The traditional Crocs, however, you can't pull them off unless you are a nurse or Mario Batali.

I have sanuks brands that are basically the same think without as much shame.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:47 am

Is that a picture of your own shoe, or do they come pre-distressed with scuffs on the sole?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

If we're doing shoe recs:

I'm all in on On Running shoes. Don't let the name fool you, I've got a pair of runners but the ones I love are my Clouds. They're slip on but they've got an elastic band that keeps your foot in even if you want to go for a jog in them. Insanely comfortable.

The other "dad shoe" (you old fucks) are my pair of Ooklas. https://olukai.com/collections/mens-sho ... 6098630755

Those are like a hybrid slip on/sandal that you don't need to wear with socks. Got a pair for my last trip to Hawaii and loved them
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:48 am But the OOcloog doesn't have any place for my jibbitz!

(thanks, I'll check them out)
They're really comfortable. I probably need a new pair after the 2 years I've put on my current ones.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:55 am If we're doing shoe recs:

I'm all in on On Running shoes. Don't let the name fool you, I've got a pair of runners but the ones I love are my Clouds. They're slip on but they've got an elastic band that keeps your foot in even if you want to go for a jog in them. Insanely comfortable.

The other "dad shoe" (you old fucks) are my pair of Ooklas. https://olukai.com/collections/mens-sho ... 6098630755

Those are like a hybrid slip on/sandal that you don't need to wear with socks. Got a pair for my last trip to Hawaii and loved them
On will let you return a pair for free within 30 days. I really liked the look of them and bought a pair to wear around Scotland a few years back. I ended up not keeping them because the fit wasn't perfect, but it was definitely nice to not have to worry about fucking up my own shoes for a week.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Any shoe that doesn't come in wide sizes should go to hell.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:56 am Any shoe that doesn't come in wide sizes should go to hell.
I agree - but then again I have bunions, one of which will probably be in the Mutter museum after I die.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:31 am
I only wear adidas slides anymore. ANd not the ones with those weird bubble soles.
Flip flops forever.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My feet are much pickier about the feel and fit of flip-flops (assuming toe-thong style here) than they are slides. Plus socks work with slides, if I'm feeling really lazy on a cool fall day when the dog needs walked.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:31 pm Plus socks work with slides
No they don't. Be the change you wish to see. It starts with one.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

"Function" better? And remember what thread we're in and how I kicked this off this morning. No shame here as far as this goes.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Fair on the thread.

Tell you what, re-reading where you're thinking about heading, just rock those slides with socks to your heart's content.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If we ever do a Swamp meet-up in New Jersey, I'll just look for the guy in socks and Crocs!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:28 pm
Flip flops forever.
My big toes take a hard turn inside so I have never been able to wear flip flops. Just too uncomfortable to build up tolerance.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:28 pm
Flip flops forever.
These specifically:

That opener in the sole has saved me on many occasions...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:32 am Try some Oofos.
Silly name notwithstanding (got the Ooahh slide sandals) these are pretty fucking great.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yep. Super comfy.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I haven't been to the dentist in like 10 years, but have to go this afternoon since I chipped a tooth over the weekend.

Shouldn't have let things get this far, but not a fan of the dentist and not looking forward to this afternoon.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I did the same thing except closer to 20 years. I'd ask for laughing gas at the top.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:41 am I haven't been to the dentist in like 10 years, but have to go this afternoon since I chipped a tooth over the weekend.

Shouldn't have let things get this far, but not a fan of the dentist and not looking forward to this afternoon.
12 for me and I just finished the last fillings in 2 years of restoration. Find yourself a good dentist, use nitrous if available, and start going regularly. Teeth are dumb.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:57 am
brian wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:41 am I haven't been to the dentist in like 10 years, but have to go this afternoon since I chipped a tooth over the weekend.

12 for me and I just finished the last fillings in 2 years of restoration. Find yourself a good dentist, use nitrous if available, and start going regularly. Teeth are dumb.
I stopped going because they fucked up my fillings and I had sensitivity in them for no joke 4-5 years. They used the white polymer filling stuff instead of metal and I hate it. I still use sensodyne just in case.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:01 pm
BSF21 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:57 am

I stopped going because they fucked up my fillings and I had sensitivity in them for no joke 4-5 years. They used the white polymer filling stuff instead of metal and I hate it. I still use sensodyne just in case.
I was so tired of being in daily pain that it finally pushed me over the anxiety edge.

MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

my parents were/are awesome but as a kid for some reason they brought me to the worst dentist ever, so i had that hesitation for years too. My last two dentists though (Vancouver and Buffalo) have been so awesome that i'm not kidding, i legit *like* going to the dentist.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Deep teeth cleaning + exam twice a year for free*? Easy decision.

(*or $12/month when I was self-employed. Still an easy decision.)

(totally dragging my feet on a night guard though, but that's like $350)
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:24 pm my parents were/are awesome but as a kid for some reason they brought me to the worst dentist ever, so i had that hesitation for years too. My last two dentists though (Vancouver and Buffalo) have been so awesome that i'm not kidding, i legit *like* going to the dentist.
I had my teeth knocked out in a wrestling practice 2 days after I had my braces off in HS. Kid hit me so hard with an elbow it knocked my permanent retainer out of my mouth.

Cut to blood pouring out of my mouth and an emergency rush to the orthodontist that says to save my teeth he needs to reset them as they're all still in there, but pointing at the back of my throat instead of up and down. He reaches in and pops them back into place for lack of better words and they reinstall my cement retainer. I never went back to the dentist.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I had something similar but not as horrifying because mine jammed up instead of back, but I had to have the front four cemented together and to the good teeth next to them. If there's one pain experience of my life I wouldn't want to go back and relive, it might be having that cement razor-flossed off once the teeth were stable again.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I once got a filling without any anesthetic. I had had a lot of fillings and teeth pulled as a kid, and for some reason, I convinced myself that the anesthesia really didn't help that much, because I could always feel it. Well... let me tell you, the anesthesia DOES make a difference. A huge difference. I basically chose to recreate The Marathon Man for myself. I squeezed the SHIT out of those dentist chair arms. I always take the novocaine now.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

One of the first guys I met out here after I moved to California was a dentist who had just finished dental school. We became good friends and he has done a ton of work for me at no cost or minimal cost. He did a bunch of crowns and only charged me the amount the insurance would cover.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:45 pm One of the first guys I met out here after I moved to California was a dentist who had just finished dental school. We became good friends and he has done a ton of work for me at no cost or minimal cost. He did a bunch of crowns and only charged me the amount the insurance would cover.
That's fraud in Kentucky at least, but good for you!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:48 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:45 pm One of the first guys I met out here after I moved to California was a dentist who had just finished dental school. We became good friends and he has done a ton of work for me at no cost or minimal cost. He did a bunch of crowns and only charged me the amount the insurance would cover.
Explain to me who he defrauded, and how.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:39 pm I once got a filling without any anesthetic. I had had a lot of fillings and teeth pulled as a kid, and for some reason, I convinced myself that the anesthesia really didn't help that much, because I could always feel it. Well... let me tell you, the anesthesia DOES make a difference. A huge difference. I basically chose to recreate The Marathon Man for myself. I squeezed the SHIT out of those dentist chair arms. I always take the novocaine now.
Oh I played that game on my last crown because they didn't really explain it to me. I had a temp on and they said "once your permanent comes in, we just pop the temp off and put your real crown on". So I'm thinking nbd, little cement, no problem. They didn't tell me that once they pop the temp off, they vigorously clean the entire tooth again. Holy shit was I screaming.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:55 pm
Again, I can only say it for Kentucky, but it came about because of a bunch of doctors doing work for other doctors and families, which I guess defrauds either the employee or the insurance company because of deductibles and co-insurance (Which of course is paid for in part by the employee in a lot of cases, so I can see gray area). Basically that you can't just do insurance-only billing unless you do it for EVERY client. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but my wife works as a Billing manager and they have had several clients get in trouble trying to do that. Basically you do your buddies favors, but joe schmoe off the street has to pay, so it kind of defrauds other customers in a sense, too.

(ETA: If you waive the patient portion, it actually means that the service offered was in fact cheaper than you said, so the insurance would be in their rights to come back and ask for money back. Simple math, but say your insurance pays 80% of all services (and that you have no deductible or met it at other doctors). So a $100 crown they would pay 80, assuming you paid the remaining $20. But if you waive that, then the service actually only cost $80, so the insurance could come back and say, well, we're only paying $64.)

If he does something completely off the books for you, that's different since it only costs his time and materials.
Last edited by A_B on Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:24 pm i legit *like* going to the dentist.
I felt that way when I was living in NYC, but that was mostly because the Dentist's wife/hygienist was one of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen in my life. I think they were Croatian.

I once had a filling done and the Dentist told me I didn't need Novocaine or anything since it was a very small cavity. It felt weird, but way better than the Novocaine injection and subsequent hours of numbness. Next time I needed a filling, Dentist said the same thing. Then he kept drilling, and saying it looked small, but went deep. It started to really hurt, but he said he's at the bottom, so just tough it out. Then it kept going deeper. In the end, I probably put permanent finger indentations in the arm of the chair and sweat so bad I looked like I jumped in a pool. The dentist look horrified and kept apologizing. I went back to using Novocaine for fillings.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:13 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:55 pm
Again, I can only say it for Kentucky, but it came about because of a bunch of doctors doing work for other doctors and families, which I guess defrauds either the employee or the insurance company because of deductibles and co-insurance (Which of course is paid for in part by the employee in a lot of cases, so I can see gray area). Basically that you can't just do insurance-only billing unless you do it for EVERY client. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but my wife works as a Billing manager and they have had several clients get in trouble trying to do that. Basically you do your buddies favors, but joe schmoe off the street has to pay, so it kind of defrauds other customers in a sense, too.

If he does something completely off the books for you, that's different since it only costs his time and materials.
He billed the full amount, then waived collection from me. Insurance was billed and paid the correct amount. I don't see how one can call it fraud.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well, I just added some information that spells it out a little bit and I think is the crux of the argument. And again, I only know about Kentucky because of my wife's work. It may indeed be a non issue for you.

here's the part I added.

(ETA: If you waive the patient portion, it actually means that the service offered was in fact cheaper than the doctor said, so the insurance would be in their rights to come back and ask for money back. Simple math, but say your insurance pays 80% of all services (and that you have no deductible or met it at other doctors). So a $100 crown they would pay 80, assuming you paid the remaining $20. But if you waive that, then the service actually only cost $80, so the insurance could come back and say, well, we're only paying $64.)