Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I may not be an expert here, but wouldn't initially ignoring the virus in blue states be considered 'ethnic cleansing'?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:25 am
Square Rob wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:00 am
Gunpowder wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:24 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:49 am It just seems like capitulation as millions are threatened with homelessness.

In other news, Kodak's (yes, that Kodak) stock went from $2 to $54 in 2 days on the news that they were awarded $765B by Trump "to support efforts to produce active ingredients needed to make generic drugs in the U.S."

This was straight up insanity. I looked at it yesterday after the news first broke, and it was just kinda chillin' at $9ish, and I decided not to play. Today's move made no sense.
The shady thing is that trading volume on Kodak shares went nuts the day BEFORE the announcement.
These people ... there will be a record of who bought the stock. Talk about inviting an SEC investigation.
Riiiight, I'm sure the SEC will be all over it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:38 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:49 am It just seems like capitulation as millions are threatened with homelessness.

In other news, Kodak's (yes, that Kodak) stock went from $2 to $54 in 2 days on the news that they were awarded $765B by Trump "to support efforts to produce active ingredients needed to make generic drugs in the U.S."

This was straight up insanity. I looked at it yesterday after the news first broke, and it was just kinda chillin' at $9ish, and I decided not to play. Today's move made no sense.
The shady thing is that trading volume on Kodak shares went nuts the day BEFORE the announcement.
These people ... there will be a record of who bought the stock. Talk about inviting an SEC investigation.
God willing, in about six months they will.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:03 pm

Can you imagine the huuuuge volume of actionable shit the various regulatory bodies will have to sift through and investigate next year (God willing)?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:06 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:03 pm

Can you imagine the huuuuge volume of actionable shit the various regulatory bodies will have to sift through and investigate next year (God willing)?
Heh. I do think the career non-political staff will be highly motivated, however.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Private schools here in MoCo were all set to start bringing kids in for in-person classes (some variation of hybrid, lots of planning went into some kind of collective approach apparently.)

County Exec waded in and unilaterally postponed opening until October 1.

People are piiiiiiiiiisssed. Keep in mind, these aren't a bunch of Trumpites. I mean, sure, some are, but a lot of them aren't (at least my Fb feed.)

Gov. Hogan also weighed in and was critical of the decision. I have to say, given the overall numbers around here, I don't know that I blame these folks. County exec should've voiced concern and that he would pull the plug if things flared up. He's really asking for a revolt on this.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

Canada's official Covid tracking phone app has gone live. Seems like there's a bit of an advertising and promotion blitz, so we'll see if it gets adopted at a big enough scale to be effective. Already reports that it will only work on newer phones with latest software, so a lot of people already not able to download it.
Basic idea is that it doesn't use location or gps tracking, but instead exchanges random codes via bluetooth with nearby phones, then if someone enters a positive diagnosis into the app they can use the codes to send alerts to anyone who had been near that phone.

Supposedly getting good reviews from privacy advocates. Still feels like another tool that could help but would be politicized and conspiracy theorized if the US tried something similat.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

travzilla wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:32 am Canada's official Covid tracking phone app has gone live. Seems like there's a bit of an advertising and promotion blitz, so we'll see if it gets adopted at a big enough scale to be effective. Already reports that it will only work on newer phones with latest software, so a lot of people already not able to download it.
Basic idea is that it doesn't use location or gps tracking, but instead exchanges random codes via bluetooth with nearby phones, then if someone enters a positive diagnosis into the app they can use the codes to send alerts to anyone who had been near that phone.

Supposedly getting good reviews from privacy advocates. Still feels like another tool that could help but would be politicized and conspiracy theorized if the US tried something similat.
Wife insisted that I download the app, but it won't work on my phone.

Canada's Privacy Commissioner Approves of the App
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A lot of universities that are sending kids back (eve if it's a partial/hybrid) situation are outfitting the school ID badges with some form of contact tracing software. At least at Denver, there are a few parents grumbling, but most people get that it's part of the price of getting back to some form of normal.

But I agree it's a non-starter in the larger context here.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:27 pm A lot of universities that are sending kids back (eve if it's a partial/hybrid) situation are outfitting the school ID badges with some form of contact tracing software. At least at Denver, there are a few parents grumbling, but most people get that it's part of the price of getting back to some form of normal.

But I agree it's a non-starter in the larger context here.
Gonzaga has decided to go with a 'mostly online/some classes hybrid' model. But the dorms are going to be super problematic, and they sent out an email that basically boiled down to 'Dorm living is restricted...you need to fill out a form and really explain why you need to be living on campus'.

Since my daughter was scheduled to be living in a classic dorm (2 people per room, one huge bathroom down the hall), we decided that her and her friend are going to get an apartment off campus.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Looks like my daughter will be all online with the classes she has. Being third year means smaller classes but most teachers prefer the all online at the moment. Who knows. She is fine with it and can still use all the facilities.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

Is there a single defensible reason for a person to take a cruise anywhere in the world right now? Like these have to be the dumbest people on earth right? If it wasn't for the slave labour crew on board getting screwed here, I'd love to see these cruises just float around until they sink because no port will take them in.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My wife and I went on a cruise once, many years ago. It seemed like a relatively affordable way to see some spots in the Caribbean.

We were surrounded by assholes from Long Island. We had to sit with the same weirdos at dinner every night. You had to get up at the crack of dawn to lay out towels to secure decent seats on the deck. You were only in a port for a few hours, and it was touristy as fuck. She contracted some weird ass tropical illness that scared the fuck out of us. Our liquor bill was close to $2000.

We haven't even joked about going on another cruise. That was about 20 years ago.

Fuck cruise ships.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Same opinion but without having ever gone on one. I'd rather stay home than go on a cruise for free.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I'm a bit shocked they set sail with passengers also. Not sure how that makes financial sense. Cruises are a good option just not my preferred option and definitely not now. If nothing else lots of opportunities to make your own fun. Kids love it. Right priced. Saw multiple destinations and enjoyed all. But ships and viruses don't mix.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Some Obit for Mr Nagy

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Going on a cruise right now is absolutely insane, but I hear the rates are super low, to the point where a homeless person could go on a cruise and eat cheaper than living on a city street.

When I think about the workers, pollution and amount of waste created by cruise ships, they should be banned, but I'll admit we had a great honeymoon experience on Mediterranean cruise. The key was going with an Italian company, so it felt like being in a foreign country on the ship. 3% Americans, 10% English speakers, mostly from UK or Canada. It also had very few kids on board. We got to see a lot of places I likely never would have seen, like Malta and Tunisia, which were incredible. We avoided touristy shit by just wandering further into the center of cities. We had the scheduled dinner with the same people every night, but they were actually cool, 2 Canadian couples and a guy from Liverpool with what was very clearly his mistress. We actually liked meeting up every day and discussing our adventures.

Did a cruise to Bermuda with the kids on Carnival, and that was a completely different experience. It was geared towards kids and partying, but actually had some cool stuff. I wouldn't go Carnival again, and I wouldn't do a Caribbean cruise, as they dump you off in tourist traps and there aren't options to avoid touristy stuff in most stops.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My wife and I did one cruise about 10 years ago. (Vancouver to Alaska). I have no plans to do another again anytime soon. The sights and the excursions were nice, but I couldn’t believe the number of assholes on board the ship. Such rude people, whose number one goal every day seemed for them to be at the front of buffet line for bacon, kids or old folks be damned.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

We did a Greek Island cruise in 2014, with Royal Caribbean. It was fantastic. For that kind of area, there's no other convenient way to visit a bunch of different islands and historical sites. (It probably helped that we did it in October, not during the summer. And we could afford to pay for a suite, so we had our own balcony and priority disembarking when we were in port.)

We liked it so much that we did another cruise in the summer of 2016, along the Norway coast. This one was a little dicier because the North Sea in August was much rougher than the Mediterranean in October. But we still loved it - again, not too many other ways to see a bunch of coastal towns and cities, fjords, etc.

The other cruise I'd really like to do is one that hits all the old capital cities in the Baltic.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I love cruises. Making fun of all the old, selfish MAGA turds behind their back is half the fun.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Trump Vaccine Adviser Warns That Scrutiny Of Him Will Delay Arrival Of Coronavirus Vaccine
Moncef Slaoui made the remarks on the official Health and Human Services podcast, released Friday, while being interviewed by Michael Caputo, HHS assistant secretary of public affairs. The interview quickly descended into a lengthy rant about the media.

“The American people need to understand that the media often times are lying to them because they don’t want a vaccine, in order to defeat Donald Trump,” Caputo said at one point.

The two men took extensive issue with news stories about Slaoui. He is working as a contractor voluntarily, drawing payment of only $1. As news reports have outlined, this exempts him from ethics rules that would apply to federal employees.

Slaoui worked for 30 years in senior roles at pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline. He still holds significant stock in the company. The HHS inspector general ruled that he can continue to own stock in the pharmaceutical industry and is exempt from disclosure rules that would apply if he joined the government.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I'm ok with the warp speed guy. Don't we want knowledgeable seasoned guys to take those roles in emergencies? I don't think divestment of your 30 year earnings is the best way to attract talented guys who could just as easily stay in the private sector. I don't like the bitching but probably right about several media sources.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Not sure if you want an executive who clearly has a vested interest ranting about media scrutiny.

Just do your job, make your cash and shut the hell up. These guys want it all - money, prestige and sycophancy.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The kid likely won't die, Johnnie, therefore its worth it to get some peace and quiet!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:02 pm The kid likely won't die, Johnnie, therefore its worth it to get some peace and quiet!
As long as he dies after the election, it doesn't matter.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Uh oh!!!

Dateline Toronto...

Employee of downtown strip club tests positive for COVID-19: public health

If you think you're going to be having a bad weekend, think of these 550 guys...
Officials say they have followed up with all known close contacts of the employee and all of those contacts are self-isolating for two weeks.

They say the Stage 3 guideline requiring all patrons to provide a phone number on entry also helped them reach out during the contact tracing process.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This seems like good news? (Read the whole thread)

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Kushner gonna seize them all.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:26 am Uh oh!!!

Dateline Toronto...

Employee of downtown strip club tests positive for COVID-19: public health

If you think you're going to be having a bad weekend, think of these 550 guys...
Officials say they have followed up with all known close contacts of the employee and all of those contacts are self-isolating for two weeks.

They say the Stage 3 guideline requiring all patrons to provide a phone number on entry also helped them reach out during the contact tracing process.
Ask Robert Kraft about that...
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Kids going to college?

UNC-Chapel Hill reverses plans for in-person classes after 130 students test positive for Covid-19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill abruptly decided it will no longer hold in-person classes on campus after about 130 students tested positive for Covid-19 in the first week since classes began.

In the past week, the Covid-19 positivity rate among students rose to 13.6% of the 954 students tested, and five employees also tested positive, according to the university's Covid-19 dashboard. As of Monday morning, 177 students were in isolation and 349 were in quarantine, both on and off campus.

Most students with Covid-19 have demonstrated mild symptoms, Chancellor Kevin M. Guskiewicz and Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Robert A. Blouin said in a letter to the community.

Effective Wednesday, all undergraduate in-person instruction will shift to remote learning, they write. The university also expects the majority of undergraduate residential students to change their residential plans for the fall.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:02 am Kids going to college?

UNC-Chapel Hill reverses plans for in-person classes after 130 students test positive for Covid-19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill abruptly decided it will no longer hold in-person classes on campus after about 130 students tested positive for Covid-19 in the first week since classes began.

In the past week, the Covid-19 positivity rate among students rose to 13.6% of the 954 students tested, and five employees also tested positive, according to the university's Covid-19 dashboard. As of Monday morning, 177 students were in isolation and 349 were in quarantine, both on and off campus.

Most students with Covid-19 have demonstrated mild symptoms, Chancellor Kevin M. Guskiewicz and Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Robert A. Blouin said in a letter to the community.

Effective Wednesday, all undergraduate in-person instruction will shift to remote learning, they write. The university also expects the majority of undergraduate residential students to change their residential plans for the fall.
Now this is a fucking headline:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I really can't believe the SEC, ACC and Big 12 are insisting on going ahead with the season. This is lunacy. At this point, I wonder how much of it is appeasing Trump and how much of it is financial, because almost zero percent of it is any concern about the players.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

They can do it IF they send everyone else home and just keep the football team. Course, that would be hard from the whole student-athlete sham thing the NCAA has going on.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:51 pm I really can't believe the SEC, ACC and Big 12 are insisting on going ahead with the season. This is lunacy. At this point, I wonder how much of it is appeasing Trump and how much of it is financial, because almost zero percent of it is any concern about the players.

Just hoping they kill it before the season starts. The locals travel to Chapel Hill for the opener. And to think, we were all worried about playing Liberty the following month.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:51 pm I really can't believe the SEC, ACC and Big 12 are insisting on going ahead with the season. This is lunacy. At this point, I wonder how much of it is appeasing Trump and how much of it is financial, because almost zero percent of it is any concern about the players.

And there it is:

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

And now Michigan State:

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »