Kobe Bryant

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Kobe Bryant

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:07 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:44 pmI just don't understand why so many people are so amped up in defending Kobe or super sensitive about joking about Kobe.
It feels very much how you absolutely could not make a JFK joke around my mom's side of the family. To a certain subset, obviously myself included, he was at a level higher than celebrity, like the Jordan of our generation but deeper because of the greater exposure or something?
Also, I think there's a time element.

It's probably a good idea to wait until the body is in the ground before making jokes.

But you know, we live in an era where EVERYONE has to get in on the act through social media. Any celebrity dies, people act sincerely touched. I had at least a dozen people posting about Doris Day when she died. ]

I'd bet that a good portion of the people expressing shock and sadness about Bryant didn't even know about the rape.

And while a lot of people are - to a certain extent - legitimately saddened, there's also a tendency for people to overreact to prove that they are more hurt than other people are. It irritates me, but there is absolutely nothing to be gained by me pointing this out to them.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:44 pmI just don't understand why so many people are so amped up in defending Kobe or super sensitive about joking about Kobe.
It feels very much how you absolutely could not make a JFK joke around my mom's side of the family. To a certain subset, obviously myself included, he was at a level higher than celebrity, like the Jordan of our generation but deeper because of the greater exposure or something?
Kobe is one of the biggest international sports stars of his generation. He played his whole career in the era where basketball was truly a global sport and personally played a big role in its global popularity, particularly in China. I went to Game 3 of the 2010 NBA Finals in Boston and there were fans in my section that were immigrants from somewhere in the Middle East and they were absolutely going nuts cheering for Kobe. I’m not surprised by the magnitude of the reaction to his death, regardless of the rape allegation. (You’d see a similar outpouring is something similar happened to Cristiano Ronaldo, who’s a good comparison both because of his level of stardom and ugly sexual assault allegation.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:49 pm I heard on NPR last night that the flying conditions were sketchy, and that at the time the LAPD had grounded their helicopters.

And it got me to thinking...I have a friend who's father died when she was 6 or 7, in a private plane crash. He was some kind of sales rep, in Blacksburg, VA, and figured buying a plane and getting his pilots license would be a great way to make his sales calls more quickly. And then he ended up crashing his plane in bad weather.

I've had pilot friends who have said that once the flying becomes part of your every day business travel/commuting, it leads to taking chances that you shouldn't. Thinking 'the weather conditions are pretty bad, but I've gotta get to this meeting' kind of thing and it leads to pushing the envelope.

I just wonder if this was a situation like this. Kobe lives down in Orange County...his Academy is up in Thousand Oaks, and he's thinking 'Well, we gotta get to this game'.
I heard the pilot was certified to train pilots on flying in bad conditions, and they thought maybe he was too cocky. Now that I think about it, it must have been a caller on Howard Stern, so not the best source...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:37 pm
I think he also represents a lot of people's youth. NBA seems to have the biggest individual exposure, ie the truly recognizable athletes.

I guess that makes sense. If Jordan died a few years after retiring, I'd get the hoopla. I was into the NBA in the late 80s, early 90s, tailing off at the beginning of Kobe's career. I remember all the straight out of HS hype, but barely followed after that. I'm aware of how great he was and all the friction with Shaq, but looking back, I tend to remember everyone thinking he was a dick and a bad teammate. Maybe he turned it around in the second half of his career, and became a better teammate?

Side note, my son was watching a Lakers game a few weeks ago, and I realized I've never actually seen LeBron play. Sat down to watch, and LeBron played maybe 5 minutes and barely touched the ball. Lakers were up big in the 3rd when I sat down. Anyways, my point is, LeBron is super overrated.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:55 pm
I think he also represents a lot of people's youth. NBA seems to have the biggest individual exposure, ie the truly recognizable athletes.

I guess that makes sense. If Jordan died a few years after retiring, I'd get the hoopla. I was into the NBA in the late 80s, early 90s, tailing off at the beginning of Kobe's career. I remember all the straight out of HS hype, but barely followed after that. I'm aware of how great he was and all the friction with Shaq, but looking back, I tend to remember everyone thinking he was a dick and a bad teammate. Maybe he turned it around in the second half of his career, and became a better teammate?

Side note, my son was watching a Lakers game a few weeks ago, and I realized I've never actually seen LeBron play. Sat down to watch, and LeBron played maybe 5 minutes and barely touched the ball. Lakers were up big in the 3rd when I sat down. Anyways, my point is, LeBron is super overrated.
I thought The Lead podcast today was pretty fair, give it a listen. One thing I didn't know is that Lebron's "taking my talents" comment was a play off of Kobe's comments when he declared for the NBA.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:51 pm More about the pilot and helicopter flight: Flying Into Patchy Fog, Kobe Bryant’s Pilot Had a Decision to Make
The guy quoted in that story gives an exceptional eye witness account.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, this is constructive. What a fucking idiot. Like we need Veteran Justice Warriors who are still serving.

I bet this guy asks for a prime seat at Applebee's on Veteran's Day.

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:55 pm

Michael Jordan punched his teammates in the face, so I don't think that had as big of an impact as you may believe.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:40 am Well, this is constructive. What a fucking idiot. Like we need Veteran Justice Warriors who are still serving.

I bet this guy asks for a prime seat at Applebee's on Veteran's Day.

Until he retweets a story about a homeless guy dying of hypothermia then he doesn't give a shit either.

Also Trump prefers the ones who don't get into accidents. I still don't know how he lived that comment down with the support the troops or die party, but here we are.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

His memorial service was yesterday.

Did anybody make a "Kobe finally passed" joke that's just been sitting there? I think the moratorium on tasteless jokes is over.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

No you're definitely the first person with that one
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Good, I was worried.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think he's wrong, I definitely saw that joke somewhere else.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Probably when John Starks died
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ryan wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:23 am Probably when John Starks died
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wonder how the LA County sheriff's dept would react if NBA players shared images of a dead cop, his daughter and seven others.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A.I.'s letter to Kobe is worth a read.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Has it been long enough for me to make the joke yet?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

TT2.0 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:59 am Has it been long enough for me to make the joke yet?
The day of his death was long enough...
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If this Kobe Bryant Day is going to be a thing every year, then fuck that.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!