Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: The Important Sounds of Things Falling Apart

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:04 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:17 pm
TT2.0 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:18 am Im just going to post this here so it doesn't start a fb war. You guys know im joking and i think this shit is horrible...but

Kyle Rittenhouse is exactly what happens when you force school shooters to take zoom classe
I laughed
It's a well crafted commentary, but I am too devastated the past few weeks to laugh. I think I finally hit my breaking point with the election, fear of Trump stealing the election, fear of Trump refusing to accept defeat and what his base will do... I've hit my breaking point with living mostly cooped up in the house, stressing about the ever changing back to school issues, and a lot more smaller personal stresses that I'm aren't worth posting about. I'm just done. I'm trying not to watch or read about the election, but politics is like my hobby, so I need to replace it, and I feel it's irresponsible not to pay attention right now, as I genuinely believe the fate of our democracy is at stake. I feel stupid when I try to explain the dangers to those not paying attention or still thinking Trump is less dangerous than Biden, but it really is this dire right now. Throw in hurricanes, riots, doughy white teenagers gunning down protesters while the cops help him get away, it's just too fucking much.

I'm trying to focus on fantasy football as a distraction, but I can't stop thinking "why bother, COVID is shutting down the NFL anyways," and I have a really hard time caring about imaginary football leagues right now. At least the EPL is starting up in a few weeks. I actually could have gotten myself to care about the Community Shield, but I'm not paying for ESPN+. Fuck all of these pay platforms.
Bookmark this excuse for later use, sabo, Giff, and GoodKarma.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I have a partner in my main money fantasy football league. He and I chatted yesterday and neither and I feel motivated to do any work on preparing for a draft right now. Just can't get into it, with all the stuff going on. We are probably just going to lean on the suggested choices at the given slots.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Why couldn't you have just stopped at "well crafted commentary?" :(
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

TT2.0 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:07 pm Why couldn't you have just stopped at "well crafted commentary?" :(
Ha!

Love it.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

TT2.0 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:07 pm Why couldn't you have just stopped at "well crafted commentary?" :(
Sorry, TT, didn't mean to step on my compliment, it just turned into a rant about my mental state. I'm finding it hard to keep it together the last couple of weeks, and the external stuff is all about to get a lot worse, compounding with trying to deal with kids remote learning during my work day.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Looking up long-term rentals on Airbnb for Puerto Vallarta. Think we're out of here later this fall. Can't take the chance of Trump winning. Gonna be some serious discussions in our household this weekend and not excited at all about what we're going to have to do to get the house ready to sell.

ETA: I know this is probably offensive to the Jewish folks, but I can't help thinking if you had the ability to escape Berlin with most of your assets intact in 1935 and didn't take it, you would have been thrilled to escape in 1939 with the clothes on your back and nothing else.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:02 am Looking up long-term rentals on Airbnb for Puerto Vallarta. Think we're out of here later this fall. Can't take the chance of Trump winning. Gonna be some serious discussions in our household this weekend and not excited at all about what we're going to have to do to get the house ready to sell.

ETA: I know this is probably offensive to the Jewish folks, but I can't help thinking if you had the ability to escape Berlin with most of your assets intact in 1935 and didn't take it, you would have been thrilled to escape in 1939 with the clothes on your back and nothing else.
Not offensive, just facts. And wisely learning lessons from history and understanding that it can happen again.
-Pruitt
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:02 am Looking up long-term rentals on Airbnb for Puerto Vallarta. Think we're out of here later this fall. Can't take the chance of Trump winning. Gonna be some serious discussions in our household this weekend and not excited at all about what we're going to have to do to get the house ready to sell.

Serious question - have you thought at all about how to move/access things like a 401k, etc if you leave the US?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

phxgators wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:07 pm

Serious question - have you thought at all about how to move/access things like a 401k, etc if you leave the US?
Before I went to Australia, I opened up a CitiBank account. It was free to access the CitiBank account in Australia and transfer money back and forth to my bank account back in Seattle.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Only thing about that is it counts "confrontations" as the total. Technically, the protest of Rand Paul or outside the White House or any of that would count as a left confrontation. Much rather they stick to actual assaults and worse, like listed below.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

phxgators wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:07 pm

That stuff you can just leave in American accounts. I can’t touch that stuff for a decade anyway. But like DiS said you can get a foreign bank account and transfer funds from US accounts as needed. It’s pretty easy compared to a lot of other potential issues like even car ownership/registration.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This is one of the Project Lincoln guys:

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Wow!

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That was really, really good.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Welp, I'm talking to the owner of my company tomorrow about being allowed to work from Mexico for another couple of years before I retire. Wish me luck!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Buena suerte!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If work signs off, the house probably goes on the market around the beginning of October. Depending how quickly it sells, we might be living in Mexico before the end of the year.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Good luck, brian.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:55 pmGood luck, brian.
Test one passed today with my boss (VP of Customer Experience) though I didn't think he'd have any issues. We go to the owners now tomorrow or later this week.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This dude seems to think that Kyle has a legit self defense case.

That's how Zimmerman got off in Florida.

How fucked is American culture that the underage dude that crosses state lines with an AR to "defend property" gets to claim self defense? Doesn't the same logic of "well, you're out after curfew" apply here?

Doesn't the definition of defense imply you aren't being the aggressor? What are you defending by walking around brazenly with a gun? Don't others have a self defense claim here because they don't have guns and here's this dude walking around seemingly instigating violence?

None of this makes sense to me and I didn't go to law school, so I don't get the legal arguments. Everything I've ever been taught about guns (civilian and military) suggest that I have a higher obligation to be more responsible than a person who's armed with non-lethal force (no weapon, pepper spray..etc).

So what the fuck is going on here?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Haven't watched this video or the video of the shootings, but the talking point everyone is regurgitating on social media is that the kid was attacked first by the skateboard guy, so it was self defense, so it didn't matter that he was there illegally and illegally possessed the gun. Then all the Lefties respond that the skateboard dude only attacked because he already killed an innocent person. Then the Righties say that since the 3 people he shot had prior criminal records, he was justified in shooting them, even though he was completely unaware of who they were or their prior convictions. I don't know if they actually had criminal records, but that's the allegations. One guy was supposedly charged with child molestation, but then others posted proof he isn't on the sex offender registry, so who knows what is true.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That whole argument the right uses about having a criminal past is such utter bullshit. As you said, this fuckstick didn't know anyone's background, he just started shooting at folks who didn't have guns... with an AR15.

Gimme a fucking break with that line of thinking.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, having a criminal past is not a death sentence.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:32 am Also, and I cannot stress this enough, having a criminal past is not a death sentence.
It is to the right when they need that to justify killing.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Didn’t he shoot the first guy in the back?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:18 pm Didn’t he shoot the first guy in the back?
Hey man. Dude coulda been a cornerback. Mighta been closing fast.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This seems plausible.

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

FYI, keep an eye on Louisville this afternoon. Announcements regarding Breonna Taylor case expected at 1:30.

If they choose to prosecute, it will likely be peaceful. If not, whoo boy, it will be anything but.

This is from last night from one of the guys involved.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not all cops are bad, I'm not at that extreme, but fuck if almost all cops don't seem to cover for the bad rather than side with good citizens.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:10 am FYI, keep an eye on Louisville this afternoon. Announcements regarding Breonna Taylor case expected at 1:30.

If they choose to prosecute, it will likely be peaceful. If not, whoo boy, it will be anything but.

This is from last night from one of the guys involved.

I'm at the point of assuming they will decide not to prosecute with the *intent* to trigger riots, so nervous white folks will be more likely to re-elect Trump.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

They did the "moral and ethical" thing that night of gunning an innocent, unarmed woman down in her home. Just what Jesus would have done!
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:15 am Not all cops are bad, I'm not at that extreme, but fuck if almost all cops don't seem to cover for the bad rather than side with good citizens.
It's like Trump supporters. They may not be racist, but voting for someone racist isn't a deal breaker.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:22 am They did the "moral and ethical" thing that night of gunning an innocent, unarmed woman down in her home. Just what Jesus would have done!
This is where the argument is going to go, almost. Remember, her boyfriend did have a gun and returned fire. They're going to say it was collateral damage due to self defense.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Which is really, really bad when you think about it because it's natural in America to start firing on home intruders when you have no idea who they are.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:39 am Which is really, really bad when you think about it because it's natural in America to start firing on home intruders when you have no idea who they are.
Yup. I can think of about a half dozen bigger problems with this incident than the cops returning fire, which speaks to the tremendously fucked up state of this country.