Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by The Sybian »

I get updates from my town government on FB, and find out whats going on through the community forum. This is extremely important with all of the changes constantly made in the school district. We have 4 different apps for the schools, and when something doesn't work, a FB post always has the fix or lets me know its a programming error and not me being an idiot.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

If it wasn’t for my job and managing most of our social media content, I wouldn’t be on it anymore.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Same here. Neighborhood page and job related stuff are my reason to not quit.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I have to be on social for my job, but I don't really mind it in my personal life... for the most part.

I just don't put up with nonsense. But I also don't go out of my way to be confrontational or make a scene. I just Hide ppl that annoy me. Easy-peasy.

I have unfriended two people, both guys from high school that wanted to engage with MAGA bullshit every time I put something up. Told them both to take it elsewhere, both guys thought it would be OK to then get into over Messenger. Told them to fuck the fuck off (literally) and moved on with my life. One guy lives in AZ, but the other is local and there's a decent chance I'll run into him at some point.

Some of you guys may even remember him... He's the guy that would post absolutely fake bullshit stories, get called on it, and then claim he was just doing it to piss off his liberal friends. Total asshole.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:14 pm I just deleted Facebook to avoid all of this. Of course, I'm basically a hermit and now I'm even more isolated than I was before, so YMMV.
Same here. Miss a few things, but got rid of it over last winter break and haven't looked back.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:52 pm
Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:45 pmAlso, I don't want my mom wondering what I'm using instead of Facebook and accidentally finding Twitter. She won't like what I post there.
Yeah, that could be a problem. My mom follows me now. I'm not worried about political stuff, but I feel bad swearing now.
I'm pretty milquetoast on Facebook, but I let it go on twitter.

I only stay on facebook to keep in touch with a few people and because of a couple groups I joined.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I only have it to kind of keep in touch. Other than that, I don't post and won't post until after I'm out of the military.

Not jeopardizing my retirement because I want to spit hot takes and call people assholes on a medium where zero people are changing their minds.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

If all of you leave facebook you will lose access to my dead celebrity jokes, and it makes me sad that none of you care.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I want to short Facebook so badly but since we encourage monopolies these days and allowed them to just buy Instagram, I can't.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

The couch BSF just sold looks virtually identical to one I sold 15 years ago and now I want to know its provenance.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:32 pm The couch BSF just sold looks virtually identical to one I sold 15 years ago and now I want to know its provenance.
Really like the idea of a couch having provenance.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:58 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:32 pm The couch BSF just sold looks virtually identical to one I sold 15 years ago and now I want to know its provenance.
I was eight years old. My father was a poor couchmaker, just putting the finishing touches on a Gray Ashley Heritage Sofa.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:58 pm
It was my sisters. Just signal boosting for her.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A woman I went to high school with posted this a few days ago:

And it was really hard not to respond with A) I would guess that Sam Elliot doesn't appreciate being used in racist memes, and b) Lets see a trained seal do this:

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:46 pm A woman I went to high school with posted this a few days ago:

And it was really hard not to respond with A) I would guess that Sam Elliot doesn't appreciate being used in racist memes, and b) Lets see a trained seal do this:

I thought Sam Elliot was an outspoken pro-Trump guy, but maybe I've been duped by all the memes he appears in.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sam is not a pro-Trump guy, at all. He's a 72+ year old actor that's not trying to alienate anyone, but feels like things have gone to shit. From an interview in 2017:
Everybody’s at odds with each other. And nothing against Trump. I think Trump won because he didn’t have someone running against him that was electable. But he spoke to that vast whole out there that had been neglected forever. I’m not saying anything new; we all know the truth of it. But god, just the fact that this guy could get elected president is mind-boggling. It just shows you the state of the union. I don’t understand why we can’t look at the bigger picture and work for the greater good. Why does one side have to be wrong? Why does the other side have nothing to say of value? Center of the road, to me, is where we all need to get back to. You’d hear a lot of people criticize me for that, saying you have to make a commitment, you can’t dance down the middle of the road. Well, s—, if they’re not going to reach across the aisle and at last talk to each other, and work on the art of the compromise, then it’s pretty bleak.
I listened to a long interview with him on Dax Shephard's podcast and he comes off as a compassionate, thoughtful guy... Highly unlikely that he's morphed into a MAGA idiot in the last 3 years.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:35 am Sam is not a pro-Trump guy, at all. He's a 72+ year old actor that's not trying to alienate anyone, but feels like things have gone to shit. From an interview in 2017:
Everybody’s at odds with each other. And nothing against Trump. I think Trump won because he didn’t have someone running against him that was electable. But he spoke to that vast whole out there that had been neglected forever. I’m not saying anything new; we all know the truth of it. But god, just the fact that this guy could get elected president is mind-boggling. It just shows you the state of the union. I don’t understand why we can’t look at the bigger picture and work for the greater good. Why does one side have to be wrong? Why does the other side have nothing to say of value? Center of the road, to me, is where we all need to get back to. You’d hear a lot of people criticize me for that, saying you have to make a commitment, you can’t dance down the middle of the road. Well, s—, if they’re not going to reach across the aisle and at last talk to each other, and work on the art of the compromise, then it’s pretty bleak.
I listened to a long interview with him on Dax Shephard's podcast and he comes off as a compassionate, thoughtful guy... Highly unlikely that he's morphed into a MAGA idiot in the last 3 years.
Wow, I've been duped. I tried to think of somewhere I've seen or heard him say anything political, and couldn't think of one. I guess I formed an opinion based on others using his image next to their propaganda and memes. I read the words in his voice, and it formed an image of his beliefs. That's fascinating, I actually developed a knee-jerk revulsion response when I see him in a show or movie now.

I forgot about Dax Shephard's podcast. I listened for a while when he started it and thought he was a fantastic interviewer and had people on I really liked, but there are just too many podcasts to keep up with.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I only listen to Dax when someone's on that I care to learn more about. Too many and his are on the longer side.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Some of you guys might have seen I'm off Facebook. Haven't taken step to delete my account yet, but deleted app from my phone and bookmarks. Logged off and no intention of logging back in any time soon. Fuck Zuckerberg.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So I’m getting married in a month. I’ll keep it on long enough to do the announcement, and then I’ll be following Brian. Off Facebook that is, not to Mexico.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:41 pm So I’m getting married in a month. I’ll keep it on long enough to do the announcement, and then I’ll be following Brian. Off Facebook that is, not to Mexico.
Hey congratulations. Enjoyed meeting your fiancée in Vegas a couple years back.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(And you of course.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Congratulations!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:41 pm So I’m getting married in a month. I’ll keep it on long enough to do the announcement, and then I’ll be following Brian. Off Facebook that is, not to Mexico.
Mazel!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Congrats man
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You goddamned idiot.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Congrats L-Jam!
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Mazel tov!
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:02 pm Some of you guys might have seen I'm off Facebook. Haven't taken step to delete my account yet, but deleted app from my phone and bookmarks. Logged off and no intention of logging back in any time soon. Fuck Zuckerberg.
Good for you, can't say I'm not a bit envious, but I can't see pulling up stakes until the kids are in college. Where in Mexico are you going? My wife and I talk about going to paradise off the beaten path one day, not sure where we would go.

And congrats, LJAM.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Puerto Vallarta. Hopefully in the Zona Romantica or the 5 de Diciembre.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Big Ups to L-Jam!
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

You gonna change your name to El Mermelada?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Congrats to both of you guys!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Congrats, L-Jam.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:02 pm Puerto Vallarta. Hopefully in the Zona Romantica or the 5 de Diciembre.
I thought you said that. I spent a week there and absolutely loved it. My friend's father was working in Mexico for a year, and I went to visit. That was more than 20 years ago, so I'm sure it's changed, but I remember thinking at the time that I could totally live there. And not just the resort and beach areas, the town was beautiful and more than just a touristy location. Very excited for you and your wife.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Congrats, L-Jam!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Congrats. Enjoy joining the Sex Havers Crew.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's no Justice For Don, but I decided to say the hell with it and bought a website for a blog. I have a LOT to do to learn about how the fuck WordPress works and to pretty things up, so it's definitely in a very rough state at this point, but since I have the domain thought I'd share it here:

http://exiledfromamerica.com
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:22 pm It's no Justice For Don, but I decided to say the hell with it and bought a website for a blog. I have a LOT to do to learn about how the fuck WordPress works and to pretty things up, so it's definitely in a very rough state at this point, but since I have the domain thought I'd share it here:

I respect your decision to move and I admire your balls and willingness to pull up stakes and go to Mexico. But, given your stated reason of "because we no longer feel safe or welcome in Donald Trump’s America", isn't your timing a bit curious? I mean, there is certainly a decent chance Joe Biden will be president in January. Obviously, the debris and empowered assholes that come from Trump's administration will still be around to cause all sorts of shit, but at least we have hope for an improved America, soon, right? Hopefully, it won't always be "Donald Trump's America".
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:35 pm
brian wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:22 pm It's no Justice For Don, but I decided to say the hell with it and bought a website for a blog. I have a LOT to do to learn about how the fuck WordPress works and to pretty things up, so it's definitely in a very rough state at this point, but since I have the domain thought I'd share it here:

I respect your decision to move and I admire your balls and willingness to pull up stakes and go to Mexico. But, given your stated reason of "because we no longer feel safe or welcome in Donald Trump’s America", isn't your timing a bit curious? I mean, there is certainly a decent chance Joe Biden will be president in January. Obviously, the debris and empowered assholes that come from Trump's administration will still be around to cause all sorts of shit, but at least we have hope for an improved America, soon, right? Hopefully, it won't always be "Donald Trump's America".
Trump's base doesn't quietly recede into the ether if he loses.
-Pruitt