Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by L-Jam3 »

Haven't signed up yet for Peacock even though I'm an Xfinity customer. But just wanted to state that in my 30+ years of watching it, Jason Sudekis was clearly the best straight man on SNL.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:00 am I went through a lot of Kleenex last night.
Alexis is pretty hot.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:58 am
A_B wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:29 am
A_B wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:51 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:03 am The Ringer on Ted Lasso: they like it.
Ok so the aging asshole captain is named Roy Kent. I’m in folks.
Through four episodes, I am even more in. It's got a vibe I am digging.
It's got my wife hooked, so it's now something we look forward to every Friday. If it was put up Netflix/Prime style we would've finished it 2 weeks ago.

Sudekis is a damn treasure, and the supporting cast is fun and overall brilliant.
[+] spoiler
I have to say, there was a moment when I thought they were going to somehow place the young black girl onto the squad and I would've been done with the show. Thankfully, they are just using her as another example of him endearing himself to the community.
Latest episode spoiler:
[+] spoiler
they're gonna take his house?!?!?

Killed me.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

[+] spoiler
Guys this episode is great. Iverson references. Harry redknapp called three times. It’s fucking amazing.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:08 pm
[+] spoiler
Guys this episode is great. Iverson references. Harry redknapp called three times. It’s fucking amazing.
[+] spoiler
The Iverson stuff was brilliant. Took me a second, as I thought they weren't doing it purposely at first...
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Amazon Prime just put out 3 episodes of the "All or Nothing" series Tottenham Hotspur. Last year they followed Man City. But now we get a season behind the scenes with the Special One. Plus narration by Tom Hardy
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I've seen the first three episodes of the Tottenham show and I would wager that the team had some sort of veto power over what could be shown.

I mean, Pochettino was in charge for a remarkably dismal and event-filled third of the season, but he was gone 20 minutes in to episode one. Thus far it seems like a puff piece that could have been directed by Mourinho himself.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:07 pm I've seen the first three episodes of the Tottenham show and I would wager that the team had some sort of veto power over what could be shown.

I mean, Pochettino was in charge for a remarkably dismal and event-filled third of the season, but he was gone 20 minutes in to episode one. Thus far it seems like a puff piece that could have been directed by Mourinho himself.
None of these have been "hard hitting". Even the Leeds one went light on the watching the other team train stuff. I just really liked the Man City one. Watching how they coach and communicate to the team is interesting.

Even Hard Knocks has gone soft. If you watch the most recent episode it felt a bit scripted, "we know this is going to be on TV" reaction on a very important topic.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Received an email from DirecTV today that they are giving me Sunday Ticket for free this season. I haven't ordered it for a few years, now. Gotta think I have the cord-cutters to thank for motivating them to do this.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:13 pm Received an email from DirecTV today that they are giving me Sunday Ticket for free this season. I haven't ordered it for a few years, now. Gotta think I have the cord-cutters to thank for motivating them to do this.
They lost me just about a year ago because they wouldn't give a decent discount on it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:15 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:13 pm Received an email from DirecTV today that they are giving me Sunday Ticket for free this season. I haven't ordered it for a few years, now. Gotta think I have the cord-cutters to thank for motivating them to do this.
They lost me just about a year ago because they wouldn't give a decent discount on it.
Maybe the figured it was easier to give it away than refund/credit when COVID shuts down the season.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:19 pm
rass wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:15 pm
Maybe the figured it was easier to give it away than refund/credit when COVID shuts down the season.
Great point.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I dropped it a couple years ago and they sent me an email about giving it to me for free this season during the NFL draft (I mentioned it as "breaking NFL news" during the Swamp Zoom call) and have sent me two more emails today (and I saw their "message" on TV that they were giving it away for Week 1). Surprised they waited this long for you. I figured they sent it out in late April as an enticement to hang onto their service during the pandemic.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Starting The Boys - up to episode 4 of season 1. Will stay with it, I think.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Starting season 2 now!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Was pretty excited for Fargo season 4 even before this positive review that shared that Timothy Olyphant is in the cast and plays a character named "Dick Wickware" (a US Marshal).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Finally started Lovecraft Country. Pretty awesome so far.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:36 am Finally started Lovecraft Country. Pretty awesome so far.
I’ve seen the first two episodes and I like it.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:11 pm Starting season 2 now!
Just finished Season 1 last night, hitting play on Season 2 Ep 1 now. I really REALLY like this show.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Should go on Netflix, but I think we should've combined all these "TV" threads anyways.

My Octopus Teacher on Netflix is both fascinating and very moving. Oh, and visually fucking amazing.

I might watch it again after taking a substance.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I've been watching the new 'Perry Mason' on HBO while riding my wind trainer in the morning.

I know it got kinda mixed reviews when it came out, but I like it. The "LA in the 30's" vibe is cool.
[+] spoiler
The scenes with Mason in WWI were intense

Making Della a lesbian is an interesting choice.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:39 pm I've been watching the new 'Perry Mason' on HBO while riding my wind trainer in the morning.

I know it got kinda mixed reviews when it came out, but I like it. The "LA in the 30's" vibe is cool.
[+] spoiler
The scenes with Mason in WWI were intense

Making Della a lesbian is an interesting choice.
We really liked the series. It was a bit weird in the middle with all the focus on Orphan Black's church, but we were definitely hanging on in suspense at the end.
[+] spoiler
So was making Paul Drake Black. Both choices open up story possibilities going forward.
Edit: (These really aren't spoilery.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:07 am I watched the first episode of "Leeds United: Take Us Home" on Amazon Prime last night. Very similar to the Sunderland doc on Netflix. Its good....
season 2 just dropped
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:20 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:07 am I watched the first episode of "Leeds United: Take Us Home" on Amazon Prime last night. Very similar to the Sunderland doc on Netflix. Its good....
season 2 just dropped
Oh cool.

I was pretty disappointed with what I've watched of the Spurs 'All or Nothing'. Maybe the players aren't as dynamic personality-wise as folks like Vincent Kompany (Harry Kane...great player, about as interesting as dishwater), but to me its totally turned into the Mourinho redemption show.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

A_B wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:01 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:58 am
A_B wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:29 am
A_B wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:51 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:03 am The Ringer on Ted Lasso: they like it.
Ok so the aging asshole captain is named Roy Kent. I’m in folks.
Through four episodes, I am even more in. It's got a vibe I am digging.
It's got my wife hooked, so it's now something we look forward to every Friday. If it was put up Netflix/Prime style we would've finished it 2 weeks ago.

Sudekis is a damn treasure, and the supporting cast is fun and overall brilliant.
[+] spoiler
I have to say, there was a moment when I thought they were going to somehow place the young black girl onto the squad and I would've been done with the show. Thankfully, they are just using her as another example of him endearing himself to the community.
Latest episode spoiler:
[+] spoiler
they're gonna take his house?!?!?

Killed me.
If you’re not enjoying Ted Lasso, you’re missing out. Just an enjoyable way to spend 30 minutes. 30 Rock at a lower level of zaniness. But clever as all get out.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I really love it.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

A_B wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:25 pmI really love it.
It’s what we need right fucking now.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

cerrano wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:29 pm
A_B wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:25 pmI really love it.
It’s what we need right fucking now.
Diamond dogs!

Is what jerloma needs.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Since Schitt's Creek won all the Emmys last night...where in the hell does one watch it?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Mostly at home.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:20 pm Since Schitt's Creek won all the Emmys last night...where in the hell does one watch it?
I watch on Netflix, but it aired on PopTV in the US. No idea what channel that is or if I even get it.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:20 pm Since Schitt's Creek won all the Emmys last night...where in the hell does one watch it?
Netflix. But your mileage might vary. I found it mildly amusing, but sweeping all of the Emmys is ridiculous.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:04 pm
Netflix. But your mileage might vary. I found it mildly amusing, but sweeping all of the Emmys is ridiculous.
My mileage sounds like it was the same as yours, Brian. My wife, on the other hand, absolutely loves it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:52 pm
I watch on Netflix, but it aired on PopTV in the US. No idea what channel that is or if I even get it.
And the last season (the Emmy one) isn't out on Netflix yet.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

duff wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:56 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:52 pm
And the last season (the Emmy one) isn't out on Netflix yet.
Yeah, it’s kind of the same joke over and over and over, isn’t it?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

In the same thread we have (deserved) praise for Ted Lasso... Interesting.

Part of what's going on is that Schitt's Creek was an extremely slow burn. It was one of the funniest unknown shows around for at least the first 2 seasons. Kind of like if Community had somehow tapped into the zeitgeist and really taken off. Cult following that at some point turned into a mainstream smash hit.

And part of THAT phenomena is how it deals with one of the lead characters being gay (NOT a spoiler). One of the more charming (and brilliant) aspects of the show is that the son is just... gay. It's who he is and there's no apologizing for it, or having the sads because he's gay in a small town or some other well-worn trope.

But, just in general, in the same way you can agree that Ted Lasso is what we need right now, Schitt's Creek hits that same vein for a lot of folks.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've been biased against trying it because the name is just so dumb. I figured any creative team that actually chose that couldn't write a show I'd want to watch.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:10 pm I've been biased against trying it because the name is just so dumb. I figured any creative team that actually chose that couldn't write a show I'd want to watch.
I was biased against it for that reason and because Chris Elliott is in it, and it seems like he really leans to the dumb.

But now we've seen the first two seasons, and I like it quite a bit.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:04 pm In the same thread we have (deserved) praise for Ted Lasso... Interesting.

Part of what's going on is that Schitt's Creek was an extremely slow burn. It was one of the funniest unknown shows around for at least the first 2 seasons. Kind of like if Community had somehow tapped into the zeitgeist and really taken off. Cult following that at some point turned into a mainstream smash hit.

And part of THAT phenomena is how it deals with one of the lead characters being gay (NOT a spoiler). One of the more charming (and brilliant) aspects of the show is that the son is just... gay. It's who he is and there's no apologizing for it, or having the sads because he's gay in a small town or some other well-worn trope.

But, just in general, in the same way you can agree that Ted Lasso is what we need right now, Schitt's Creek hits that same vein for a lot of folks.
It's interesting, I think if I started watching now with all the hype, I might be disappointed. I had one friend tell me I need to watch it, probably around the time the second season came out. I gave it a shot knowing nothing about it, just trusting one friend's tastes, and it really surprised me because I had no expectations and the name sounded stupid. If I went in thinking it was an Emmy dominating show, I might have thought it was stupid low brow humor.

I agree it's great how they never made anything about the son being gay. He just is who he is and that's it. He is flamboyant and bizarre, but so is almost every character in the show. They did go down that trope road when his boyfriend came out. Without spoiling anything, I thought it was incredibly well done and gave me the feels.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:27 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:04 pm In the same thread we have (deserved) praise for Ted Lasso... Interesting.

It's interesting, I think if I started watching now with all the hype, I might be disappointed. I had one friend tell me I need to watch it, probably around the time the second season came out. I gave it a shot knowing nothing about it, just trusting one friend's tastes, and it really surprised me because I had no expectations and the name sounded stupid. If I went in thinking it was an Emmy dominating show, I might have thought it was stupid low brow humor.

I agree it's great how they never made anything about the son being gay. He just is who he is and that's it. He is flamboyant and bizarre, but so is almost every character in the show. They did go down that trope road when his boyfriend came out. Without spoiling anything, I thought it was incredibly well done and gave me the feels.
Plus the whole red wine - white wine metaphor/euphemism is great.