Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:48 pm
More concerning, how many people from how many cities across the country went to join the festivities and brought COVID back to their home states?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So that's like everyone in the Dakotas?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

And continuing northward, Manitoba is going through the biggest outbreak in Canada at the moment, percentage wise (although this would most likely be coincidental to the Dakotas).
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, wrapping up a pretty nice week here in Wrightsville... But I'll tell you what... Very difficult to social distance with people walking the shoreline. If I don't get COVID, we're a pretty good guinea pig for being outdoors but having hundreds of people walk kind of near us over the week.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:07 pm So, wrapping up a pretty nice week here in Wrightsville... But I'll tell you what... Very difficult to social distance with people walking the shoreline. If I don't get COVID, we're a pretty good guinea pig for being outdoors but having hundreds of people walk kind of near us over the week.
Yeah... I’ve been drunk almost all waking hours all week but pretty I made a similar comment about the boardwalk here at the NJ shore last weekend. We’ve headed there much less than normal (only 3 out of 7 nights). But there have been no masks on the beach. And the kids have been playing with other kids. Hoping the great outdoors and summer breezes and dumb luck win out I guess.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Almost as many new cases at the University of Alabama as in all of Canada this week.

I don't mention this to gloat or anything like that - it is more out of a sense of horror.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

S. Korea to seek indemnity against church over COVID-19 treatment costs
A total of 1,056 cases traced to Sarang Jeil Church in northern Seoul were confirmed as of Monday at 25 locations across the country.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Talked with my folks last night, and found out that my niece and her husband, who live in Denver, have both got the virus. They are feeling better now...she's finally able to smell things again. I guess that a cousin of his was visiting from Florida, and he was asymptomatic. My niece is all bummed out because a good friend of hers is getting married in Virginia this weekend, and now they can't go.

My reaction:

- He was visiting?!?!? From Florida?!?!?!? And they hung out with him? What the hell?

- They were going to Virginia? For a wedding? Who is travelling right now....and who the hell is having weddings????

We are never getting out of this...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

My only nephew is getting married in October in Michigan, but we're not going because we're not traveling (by plane) and we're not going to go to an indoor event with 100 people (flagrantly violating Michigan law which is 25 right now) all of whom will likely not be wearing masks.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Your nephew must have gone to Western Michigan.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm gearing up for a much longer rant, but the house next door is operating a nightclub and pool party business. Owner moved out about a month ago, and his adult kids have been using it as a party house. They have a huge outdoor kitchen set up, and recently added an above ground pool, lighting system and and insanely loud speaker system. They've been throwing about 3 parties a week, but this weekend took it to a new level. Charging admission at the door. I called the police at 11:30, as they had people standing in my driveway screaming, keeping my kids up. I thought they broke up the party, but later learned the police had them move it into the basement. At 12:50, I saw well over 50 people coming out the side door to the basement. (NJ law is no more than 25, and nobody had masks.) 20-30 people using my driveway as an Uber queue, and 20-30 cars pulling out. Most suped-up eurotrash rides modified to make them extra loud. Horns honking, people screaming... Called the cops again, 6 officers show up including a car from the neighboring town. They let everyone go, ring my doorbell and tell me the neighbor understands and will be more respectful. Mind you, this is the 10th party this month. Next day at noon, they are gearing up for a pool party, professional decorators setting up. Several neighbors called cops, they circle for hours, finally break it up at 7:45. Cops said the owner was actually there, said he doesn't know any of the 75 or so people in his backyard.

Cops can't do shit, but break it up when it gets too loud in the street. Problem is, they have a very long, narrow house. Their speakers are directly under my bedroom and my wife's office. Our house shakes from the bass, but it's not excessive from street, so we can't shut it down before 10:00pm. It's maddening. My wife has cancelled work calls due to the volume. Not to mention, they leave empty bottles and Solo cups on lawns up and down my street, and two neighboring streets. Happy to find out yesterday that the whole 'hood is furious. Other side of me is a Detective from a nearby town. He doesn't play, and he is on a fucking mission. Fun to have that kind of fury on your side. His town has busted a couple people operating night clubs out of their houses, and he was talking to the patrolman telling him how to set up for future summonses and citations. He has his guys trying to find social media posts to prove it's a business.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:32 am I'm gearing up for a much longer rant, but the house next door is operating a nightclub and pool party business. Owner moved out about a month ago, and his adult kids have been using it as a party house. They have a huge outdoor kitchen set up, and recently added an above ground pool, lighting system and and insanely loud speaker system. They've been throwing about 3 parties a week, but this weekend took it to a new level. Charging admission at the door. I called the police at 11:30, as they had people standing in my driveway screaming, keeping my kids up. I thought they broke up the party, but later learned the police had them move it into the basement. At 12:50, I saw well over 50 people coming out the side door to the basement. (NJ law is no more than 25, and nobody had masks.) 20-30 people using my driveway as an Uber queue, and 20-30 cars pulling out. Most suped-up eurotrash rides modified to make them extra loud. Horns honking, people screaming... Called the cops again, 6 officers show up including a car from the neighboring town. They let everyone go, ring my doorbell and tell me the neighbor understands and will be more respectful. Mind you, this is the 10th party this month. Next day at noon, they are gearing up for a pool party, professional decorators setting up. Several neighbors called cops, they circle for hours, finally break it up at 7:45. Cops said the owner was actually there, said he doesn't know any of the 75 or so people in his backyard.

Cops can't do shit, but break it up when it gets too loud in the street. Problem is, they have a very long, narrow house. Their speakers are directly under my bedroom and my wife's office. Our house shakes from the bass, but it's not excessive from street, so we can't shut it down before 10:00pm. It's maddening. My wife has cancelled work calls due to the volume. Not to mention, they leave empty bottles and Solo cups on lawns up and down my street, and two neighboring streets. Happy to find out yesterday that the whole 'hood is furious. Other side of me is a Detective from a nearby town. He doesn't play, and he is on a fucking mission. Fun to have that kind of fury on your side. His town has busted a couple people operating night clubs out of their houses, and he was talking to the patrolman telling him how to set up for future summonses and citations. He has his guys trying to find social media posts to prove it's a business.
The "Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old" thread is this way -->
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:32 am I'm gearing up for a much longer rant, but the house next door is operating a nightclub and pool party business. Owner moved out about a month ago, and his adult kids have been using it as a party house. They have a huge outdoor kitchen set up, and recently added an above ground pool, lighting system and and insanely loud speaker system. They've been throwing about 3 parties a week, but this weekend took it to a new level. Charging admission at the door. I called the police at 11:30, as they had people standing in my driveway screaming, keeping my kids up. I thought they broke up the party, but later learned the police had them move it into the basement. At 12:50, I saw well over 50 people coming out the side door to the basement. (NJ law is no more than 25, and nobody had masks.) 20-30 people using my driveway as an Uber queue, and 20-30 cars pulling out. Most suped-up eurotrash rides modified to make them extra loud. Horns honking, people screaming... Called the cops again, 6 officers show up including a car from the neighboring town. They let everyone go, ring my doorbell and tell me the neighbor understands and will be more respectful. Mind you, this is the 10th party this month. Next day at noon, they are gearing up for a pool party, professional decorators setting up. Several neighbors called cops, they circle for hours, finally break it up at 7:45. Cops said the owner was actually there, said he doesn't know any of the 75 or so people in his backyard.

Neighbors. Drifting toward Project X?

You are Seth Rogan. Watch out for them stealing your airbags and placing them around your home and office.

(But seriously - that is fucking awful).
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That seems to check a lot of "Only in Jersey/Florida" boxes.

Fuck that shit, man. Glad you have PoPo on your side, that shit would drive me nuts.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Do you have good speakers and can you direct them at their house when they're trying to sleep off the previous night?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:19 am Your nephew must have gone to Western Michigan.
No college (though he did go to HVAC school, which was pretty smart). But definitely part of the family that thinks Trump is the second coming and worship at his feet.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:51 am Do you have good speakers and can you direct them at their house when they're trying to sleep off the previous night?
I did mow the lawn at 8:00 one night after a party. I planned on mowing the lawn as their pool party started, but the music was so fucking loud, no way they would have heard it. I'm pretty sure nobody is actually living in the house. It was on the market for almost a year, and in January it went under contract with a 6 month closing period. No shock, that fell through, and it went back on for about a month. Then they took it off and moved out. Weird situation. It's a nice house, but the interior (just seen pics) is way over the top gaudy Italian villa style. It looks like expensive stuff, but super-specific taste wise. It went under contract while listed at $950,000, so it's not like we are talking about a flop house.

What sucks, is we were planning on building a patio on that side of the house. We didn't sign the contract yet, and I think we are backing out. They were supposed to start next week, so I feel bad backing out this late, but I can't use my yard if this continues. The patio would be right next to the speaker system. I'd love to have an outdoor entertainment space in the fall since we can't have people inside. Already bought an outdoor heat lamp, too.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Man, that would have to stop pretty immediately. I don't think I could handle too much of that before escalating in my own way if the cops aren't helping.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:09 am Talked with my folks last night, and found out that my niece and her husband, who live in Denver, have both got the virus. They are feeling better now...she's finally able to smell things again. I guess that a cousin of his was visiting from Florida, and he was asymptomatic. My niece is all bummed out because a good friend of hers is getting married in Virginia this weekend, and now they can't go.

My reaction:

- He was visiting?!?!? From Florida?!?!?!? And they hung out with him? What the hell?

- They were going to Virginia? For a wedding? Who is travelling right now....and who the hell is having weddings????

We are never getting out of this...
I'd like to note that even though the wife and I drove up to Seattle - it was not for a pleasure trip, and we have been masking and distancing.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:14 am My only nephew is getting married in October in Michigan, but we're not going because we're not traveling (by plane) and we're not going to go to an indoor event with 100 people (flagrantly violating Michigan law which is 25 right now) all of whom will likely not be wearing masks.
The daughter of some good friends was supposed to get married up on Lopez Island in a couple of weeks. The wedding is now downsized to immediate family only, in his parent's backyard down in the Bay Area. We had a Zoom wedding shower last night for them.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:16 am Man, that would have to stop pretty immediately. I don't think I could handle too much of that before escalating in my own way if the cops aren't helping.
Yeah, I got maybe two hours of sleep Saturday night, had to be up at 6:30 to take my daughter to soccer, then having pumping Portuguese Club music all damned day, everyone in my house were snapping at each other, and I had some strong urges to throw shit at the people over my fence. While talking to the cop as everyone left the party, numerous people walked across my lawn and driveway. I came really close to losing it. Normally, I don't give a fuck if people walk on my lawn, but after all that, as I'm talking to a police officer 10 feet away, have some decency and walk on the sidewalk FFS. I did start screaming at them, which wasn't a good look. The cop just calmly said, "I get it, your frustrated. I would be too."
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nice grammar, officer.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Any ideas if they have cameras?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

That's fucking awful. I can't imagine how pissed off I would be.

Is there any option for the authorities to do like they are doing with the 'influencers/TikTok' houses in LA? They are being warned about having parties, and if they continue they shut down the utilities to the house.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:26 pm Any ideas if they have cameras?
Way ahead of you on that one. Not sure. Planned on cutting all the wires on the sound system. Detective neighbor has a full system of cameras. Their backroom has 9 mini screens and alternates between god knows how many cameras he has set up. He has footage of people stumbling around his property and dropping bottles in his lawn. He just texted saying police are investigating the speak easy aspect. My father's old school law enforcement take, "this is easy, slap cuffs on a couple of people and take them away. It doesn't even have to be a legal arrest, just cuff them and take them for a ride, nobody will show up anymore." Not sure they can get away with that in this era.

Which leads me to a question, my wife thinks the police are being overly cautious to avoid a racial element. Are Portuguese people considered a minority? I think they are tan Europeans, so White. Maybe at first glance darker skin and foreign language might make someone think they are Hispanic?
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

1) Go to the media.

2) Get your local electeds involved.

3) Get your neighbors organized around this. Even if it's just an email chain, where you can pump out people for them to contact.

But, I can't stress enough how effective going to the media would be. We're in the middle of a fucking pandemic and these assholes are throwing house parties? Dude, that's gold for local TV.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:37 pm 1) Go to the media.

3) Get your neighbors organized around this. Even if it's just an email chain, where you can pump out people for them to contact.

But, I can't stress enough how effective going to the media would be. We're in the middle of a fucking pandemic and these assholes are throwing house parties? Dude, that's gold for local TV.
My wife is in PR and Marketing, she already has a list put together. We figured we'd give the Town a chance to deal with it first. I sent a very long note to the Mayor and Town Administrator today, spelling everything out, saying why the police are limited, and asking who I need to speak with. Surprised I haven't heard back. I'd rather not post publicly on a forum, but I'm sure that'd get a response within minutes.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Narc

as AB says, "I keed"
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:43 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:37 pm 1) Go to the media.

My wife is in PR and Marketing, she already has a list put together. We figured we'd give the Town a chance to deal with it first. I sent a very long note to the Mayor and Town Administrator today, spelling everything out, saying why the police are limited, and asking who I need to speak with. Surprised I haven't heard back. I'd rather not post publicly on a forum, but I'm sure that'd get a response within minutes.
Shit, I forgot... Good on ya.

Fuck em up, man.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

So I got a very nice response from the Mayor, and she is meeting with the Police Chief to formulate a plan. I was hoping some official other than police could do something, but whatever. They have been remarkably quiet since Sunday. Not holding my breath, but maybe they were put off by the police visits. So this profiting off house parties is a bigger thing in NJ than I realized:

Homeowner charged after cops break up 250 person pool party with $150 entrance fee. Who the hell pays $150 fee to go to a house pool party?

Thinking about printing this out and putting in their mailbox.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Cue smell jokes.

Also, they just added jabroni to the dictionary.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Feels like Robert Pattinson dying of COVID while Trump is president is some kind of crazy glitch in the Matrix hellscape we're living in. (For those of you who remember Trump's Pattinson fixation before he was president).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:18 pm Feels like Robert Pattinson dying of COVID while Trump is president is some kind of crazy glitch in the Matrix hellscape we're living in. (For those of you who remember Trump's Pattinson fixation before he was president).
I love how they say "unnamed person" and put up Pattinson's picture. I vaguely remember Trump having some issue with Pattinson, what was that about?
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

He had a problem with Kristen Stewart cheating on him. I think.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

From the site that had the story that was linked to in the Autism thread:

'Trash the mask' rally gathers hundreds at Utah State Capitol
Hundreds gathered for a “trash the mask” rally at the Utah State Capitol Saturday night. The message of those in attendance was “our children, our choice,” saying parents should not be required to send their kids to school in face masks.

Many at the event said they don't see face masks as an issue of health, instead of as an infringement on their religious or American freedoms, some went as far to say making children wear masks in school is child abuse.

Many at the rally said they weren’t "anti-mask," but want to be able to choose, especially when it comes to their children in school.

"No, this is not what I'm subjecting my kids to,” said Diane Hunt, a mom of three, and a former nurse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:28 am
From Forbes:
Despite the controversy surrounding the Sturgis rally and the rising Covid cases in the area, officials did not cancel the 2020 South Dakota State Fair, which reported an attendance of 205,000 people last year. The fair ran from last Thursday through Labor Day. According to USA Today, South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem has been a strong advocate of these large events, and has "discouraged schools from requiring masks, instead promoting hand-washing as the best way to prevent infections, and railed against an 'elite class of so-called experts' whose opinions impact individuals' liberties."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Feel like I got the call to the bigs....

INFORMED CONSENT FORM
AND
AUTHORIZATION TO USE AND DISCLOSE PROTECTED HEALTH
INFORMATION
Sponsor / Study Title: ModernaTX, Inc / “A Phase 3, Randomized, Stratified, Observer-
Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study to Evaluate the Efficacy, Safety,
and Immunogenicity of mRNA-1273 SARS -CoV-2 Vaccine in
Adults Aged 18 Years and Older”
Protocol Number: mRNA-1273-P301
Principal Investigator:
(Study Doctor)

Telephone: 404-712
404-686- (Emory Hospital Paging Services) - ask for the
physician on call for the Hope Clinic, pager (24 Hours)
Address: Emory: Woodruff Extension Building
46 Armstrong Street
Atlanta, GA 30303
The Hope Clinic of Emory University
500 Irvin Ct.
Suite 200
Decatur, GA 30030
Grady Health System, Ponce de Leon Center
Emory ID Program
341 Ponce de Leon Avenue, NE
Atlanta, GA 30308
Emory: Steiner Research Center
68 Armstrong Street SE
Atlanta, GA 30303
Grady Health System
80 Jesse Hill Jr Drive
Atlanta, GA 30303
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I have the first confirmed case of someone I know that has Covid. I feel like I mentioned that I pretty much cut ties with someone who was on a bender about how it's all overblown and kept giving me bogus stats and everyone should go back to school and play sports and whatnot.

Yup, it's him, but I don't wish this shit on anyone so I avoided the schadenfreude thread,and I worry because his wife has a severe autoimmune disease and a son has diabetes.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.