Defector.com

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Defector.com

Post by rass »

Drew did his research for that NYG WYTS because Totowa is shady and pretty racist.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm sorry if this has been explained upthread. But, I am not (yet) a subscriber, and I was able to read articles on the site. Is there an article limit for non-subscribers? Is this a free trial period?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I assume it’s free right now because of sponsorship
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:41 pm I assume it’s free right now because of sponsorship
Ok, great. I think somebody posted upthread that it would be subscription-based.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I started getting the login page after a few articles. I’ll subscribe soon.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Was nice to have it back. Made me realize how much I'd missed it over the past few months. Even though I don't watch football anymore, I still enjoy the WYTS posts, and releasing 4 at a time wasn't great for my work productivity today.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Just signed up for this and the athletic at the discounted rate. Have to think the athletic discount was a direct result of the defector.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:33 pm Just signed up for this and the athletic at the discounted rate. Have to think the athletic discount was a direct result of the defector.
I don't think so. The two are vastly different sites. Athletic has been promoting that they just got their millionth subscriber and had a deal to "celebrate" that fact.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Deadspin was one of the few sports sites where if someone did something wrong/shady, you'd likely actually get the truth from Deadspin. There were a lot of bullshit articles as well, and I wouldn't read it for actual sports analysis, though why your team sucks is fun. Immediately signed up to defector.

Both the Ringer and The Athletic have done a horrible job hiring women and POC. ESPN ironically is the one stand out.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Defector is sucking shit this week.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The final mailbag question on the podcast regarding Jameis made me chuckle loud enough to interrupt my fiancee's work meeting.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:30 am The final mailbag question on the podcast regarding Jameis made me chuckle loud enough to interrupt my fiancee's work meeting.
Yep...thinking about Jameis "eating the W" on a landing craft in 'Saving Private Ryan' is a funny visual.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:18 am Defector is sucking shit this week.
The Dwight Howard article was (1) written for me and (2) a foreshadowing of how people will eventually view late career Embiid.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The interview with the competitive gardener from Wales that just posted is a delight.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:16 am
?
I don't think the articles have been very good.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:30 am The final mailbag question on the podcast regarding Jameis made me chuckle loud enough to interrupt my fiancee's work meeting.
Last week's pod with Bomani was excellent.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:21 am
tennbengal wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:16 am
?
I don't think the articles have been very good.
Ah. I haven't gotten to read much this week.

I don't like the new layout - I liked the newest article on top style. I can get over that.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

<skims the site>

Is this because of the Bauer piece?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Read a lot this week. Really liked the piece on the cluster eff during the Sydney 2000 gymnastics competition. Enjoyed having a place to go and browse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Looks like I finally gotta pay to get my David Roth fix. Anyone seen any discount codes yet? I'll pay the full price if I have to, but if I can save $20 or so, well that's good!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:13 pm Looks like I finally gotta pay to get my David Roth fix. Anyone seen any discount codes yet? I'll pay the full price if I have to, but if I can save $20 or so, well that's good!
Yeah. What he said.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It was perfect.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I adore Albert Burneko's column on the end of Quibi from today.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:47 pm I adore Albert Burneko's column on the end of Quibi from today.
That was great.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The quick article on The Trip last night was also great
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Feels like they are shaking the rust off.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:18 am Feels like they are shaking the rust off.
And the ringer is ripping them off, too. They had an article on the Arsenal Women's striker a couple of days ago and now The Ringer does, too. I think this type of thing has happened a couple of times since the defector launch.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DIana Moskovitz is great, too.

"Perhaps Lauren McCluskey’s memory will be a revolution or, at the very least, a step toward it. Her face will be forever frozen in amber, a permanent 21, as students and visitors over the coming years and decades see her name on buildings and on her foundation and ask who she was. She will not grow old, or get her first job after college, or stress out about her taxes, or get embarrassed when she still has to ask her parents for help. Instead, the story of her life will be the story of an unnecessary loss that, if leaders do what they say, will make the place where she died safer for all women."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Deadspin didn’t just better as it aged, it got a lot better. Delaware aptly pointed out it was basically one of the only places on the internet speaking truth to power. Or at least, in North American society anyway.

Was it simply a corporate raider that bumbled Deadspin to death, or was it a coordinated silencing? And if it was, who would tell that story?

And did you have to pay to stay-out-of the grays? Was that a donation thing? I had an account, OhBrotherWhereArtHowe, and I suppose I had a few posts over the years get un-grayed but the whole “you better write a great one to get seen” thing was too off-putting. There were commenters in the black, seemingly always so, that really didn’t add much other than low-grade snark that kept me wondering.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:53 pm Deadspin didn’t just better as it aged, it got a lot better. Delaware aptly pointed out it was basically one of the only places on the internet speaking truth to power. Or at least, in North American society anyway.

Was it simply a corporate raider that bumbled Deadspin to death, or was it a coordinated silencing? And if it was, who would tell that story?

And did you have to pay to stay-out-of the grays? Was that a donation thing? I had an account, OhBrotherWhereArtHowe, and I suppose I had a few posts over the years get un-grayed but the whole “you better write a great one to get seen” thing was too off-putting. There were commenters in the black, seemingly always so, that really didn’t add much other than low-grade snark that kept me wondering.

Well, Deadspin themselves told the story on Deadspin and then they either got fired or resigned.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:54 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:53 pm Deadspin didn’t just better as it aged, it got a lot better. Delaware aptly pointed out it was basically one of the only places on the internet speaking truth to power. Or at least, in North American society anyway.

Well, Deadspin themselves told the story on Deadspin and then they either got fired or resigned.
Yeah, I suppose I should’ve acknowledged that. I’m talking about a sourced piece from an uninterested party.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:22 am
tennbengal wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:18 am Feels like they are shaking the rust off.
And the ringer is ripping them off, too. They had an article on the Arsenal Women's striker a couple of days ago and now The Ringer does, too. I think this type of thing has happened a couple of times since the defector launch.
The Ringer has recently brought the Stadio podcast under their umbrella, and the two guys from there, Musa Okwonga and Ryan Hunn, are the guys who have been doing those stories for the Ringer. They are big supporters of the FA WSL.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:58 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:54 pm

Yeah, I suppose I should’ve acknowledged that. I’m talking about a sourced piece from an uninterested party.
Well, it goes back to Peter Thiel bankrolling Hulk Hogan's lawsuit against Deadspin (created the bankruptcy/money issues that resulted in Deadspin being sold multiple times). To my knowledge, that has never been reported on by a third party.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Not sure where else to put this, but a slow boil is finally coming to a head. If you don’t know him from KSK might now be so interesting. Never been in the position he claims he is in, but I agree with the first reply guy there.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I also agree with that first commenter. I was unaware of this whole beef. It's hard to have too strong of an opinion, not knowing what Drew specifically did to Mike Tunison to earn such grim animosity. To some degree it appears to be professional jealousy - in that Drew publicly mea culpa'd for his past sexist behavior and didn't get canceled, and apparently, Tunison says he received harsh treatment, himself, and didn't get the professional forgiveness Drew received. But, for him to be this pissed, there has to be more, doesn't there? What did Drew do to him, personally?

I've always loved Magary's work, so this is sad.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Last edited by tennbengal on Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Quite good
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:34 pmBut, for him to be this pissed, there has to be more, doesn't there? What did Drew do to him, personally?
I would have been more inclined to agree with this before reading the whole post.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.