Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by brian »

Yeah, what Sybian said. Donald Trump's America doesn't go away even if he loses. For starters, you can probably bet Donald Trump Jr. becomes the likely candidate in 2024 if not Donald Trump himself, even at 82 (if he's still alive and remotely cogent).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:43 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:35 pm
brian wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:22 pm It's no Justice For Don, but I decided to say the hell with it and bought a website for a blog. I have a LOT to do to learn about how the fuck WordPress works and to pretty things up, so it's definitely in a very rough state at this point, but since I have the domain thought I'd share it here:

http://exiledfromamerica.com
I respect your decision to move and I admire your balls and willingness to pull up stakes and go to Mexico. But, given your stated reason of "because we no longer feel safe or welcome in Donald Trump’s America", isn't your timing a bit curious? I mean, there is certainly a decent chance Joe Biden will be president in January. Obviously, the debris and empowered assholes that come from Trump's administration will still be around to cause all sorts of shit, but at least we have hope for an improved America, soon, right? Hopefully, it won't always be "Donald Trump's America".
Trump's base doesn't quietly recede into the ether if he loses.
Re-read my post.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Personally, we just reached a point of no return.

I mean -- MAYBE -- if you could somehow guarantee me that Trump loses, maybe we stay. But there's a few other things too:

1) Climate change. I'm not sure if we're going to be in any better shape trying to sell a house in Las Vegas five years from now after additional Colorado River/Lake Mead water depletion.

2) Selling high. If we do sell the house, we'll be selling at a high that I'm not sure will be there in two or three years because of the effects from the pandemic and other factors like climate change, the economy, etc.

3) QAnon/white supremacists, etc. Even if Trump loses, these people aren't going to be like the Homer Simpson GIF and just fade back into the bushes. If anything they might decide to start using those AR-15s they own and start picking people off. I'm not convinced it will be safer with Biden as president in the short term. Obviously, that's not a reason to vote for Trump -- I'm not going to be intimidated by those loonies, but the threat of violence is real and there's lot of guns lying around Las Vegas. A Biden election could have the same effect as Lincoln's election did -- essentially lighting the powder kegs that had been stacking up for decades before.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope Biden wins, the country comes to its senses, whomever buys my home sees it continue to increase in value. But at my age, I'm not going to play those odds. I'm taking my money off the table and moving somewhere I feel safe.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, that all makes sense. Good luck!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:49 pm Personally, we just reached a point of no return.

I mean -- MAYBE -- if you could somehow guarantee me that Trump loses, maybe we stay. But there's a few other things too:

1) Climate change. I'm not sure if we're going to be in any better shape trying to sell a house in Las Vegas five years from now after additional Colorado River/Lake Mead water depletion.

2) Selling high. If we do sell the house, we'll be selling at a high that I'm not sure will be there in two or three years because of the effects from the pandemic and other factors like climate change, the economy, etc.

3) QAnon/white supremacists, etc. Even if Trump loses, these people aren't going to be like the Homer Simpson GIF and just fade back into the bushes. If anything they might decide to start using those AR-15s they own and start picking people off. I'm not convinced it will be safer with Biden as president in the short term. Obviously, that's not a reason to vote for Trump -- I'm not going to be intimidated by those loonies, but the threat of violence is real and there's lot of guns lying around Las Vegas. A Biden election could have the same effect as Lincoln's election did -- essentially lighting the powder kegs that had been stacking up for decades before.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope Biden wins, the country comes to its senses, whomever buys my home sees it continue to increase in value. But at my age, I'm not going to play those odds. I'm taking my money off the table and moving somewhere I feel safe.
You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:49 pm Personally, we just reached a point of no return.

This is right along my line of thinking. I think all the divisiveness gets worse no matter who wins. I'm not concerned with my personal safety, as the Trump supporters in NJ don't seem the violent type, but I do think there will be massive violence no matter who wins. I also think we are on the edge of a massive recession if not depression. The effects of COVID on the economy will continue for at least a year or two, the commercial real estate market will implode, the stock market is an enormous bubble that should have popped years ago, and the longer it stays the worse the crash will be. Climate change is clearly causing more and worse natural disasters, which will compound the crippling of our economy. OTOH, Trump said it'll get cooler, so I'm worrying for nothing and we need to continue dismantling all environmental protection laws.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I know I said before that I was going to get off Facebook after I get married next month, but I just went ahead and deactivated it this morning. I think the final straw for me was an argument I had last week with an anti-vaxxer Trump supporter. I initially thought that it was worth fighting because even though I'm not trying to change her mind, at least I can put some sense forward to other people reading it. And then I just realized it's not worth the effort. I got you guys. And if that puts me in an echo chamber, so be it.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Everybody go watch Social Dilemma on Netflix.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's what everyone keeps telling me, but then I've also heard backlash because apparently it's all white.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's a little bit like telling people to ignore an anti-smoking movie because the cast of characters is all or mostly white in Big Tobacco.

Silicon Valley, especially in terms of executives, is what it is. That's who they are interviewing.

For what it's worth, the family they use to illustrate a lot of their points is blended.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Fwiw, I live on the northern end of Silicon Valley, and the next-door neighbors on my right are Indian/Indonesian. The neighbors on my left are Caucasian/Indian. The neighbors catty-corner across the street are Chinese. All are Silicon Valley tech people. Movies and TV may not reflect it, but there are lots of Chinese and Indian people working in tech in the Valley. Other minorities, not much.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:45 am Fwiw, I live on the northern end of Silicon Valley, and the next-door neighbors on my right are Indian/Indonesian. The neighbors on my left are Caucasian/Indian. The neighbors catty-corner across the street are Chinese. All are Silicon Valley tech people. Movies and TV may not reflect it, but there are lots of Chinese and Indian people working in tech in the Valley. Other minorities, not much.
Absolutely. Any accurate depiction of a modern tech company has to have a LOT of Indian and Chinese folks. Particularly if it's a west coast company. I was often in meetings at Microsoft where out of 10-12 people, only 4-5 would be American white dudes. It's not that extreme here in NC, but it's also not (usually) all white either.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just want to reiterate, the point I was addressing is the C-suite, not the make-up of the staff.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:17 pm Just want to reiterate, the point I was addressing is the C-suite, not the make-up of the staff.
Plenty of Indian and Chinese there, too.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:04 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:17 pm Just want to reiterate, the point I was addressing is the C-suite, not the make-up of the staff.
Plenty of Indian and Chinese there, too.
Yup, but in fairness, probably not to the level of the regular employees.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Seeing someone post that trump is the most disrespected president in history made me go off last night. Culminating in pretty much admitting to my extremely religious mom that I don't believe in god. If she or my brother try to call me out on that, they're really not going to like my response about how god is real, I don't want a fucking thing to do with him. I'll take my chances with Satan in that scenario, thank you very much.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

"Hell will be heaven when I'm dead compared to dealing with you two while I'm alive. Get fucked."

That's what I'd say, but my mom has come around in her twilight years and my sister had never been an issue politically.

Congrats to you for standing up to their bullshit.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Been off Facebook for a month and to be honest, don't really miss it all.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I really can't completely abandon Fb, due to work. But I've pretty much given up posting there about personal stuff. Even when I go on a trip... used to put up an album... haven't done that in quite awhile.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is "get fucked" a Boston colloquialism? I can't remember anyone who isn't from there using it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:11 am Is "get fucked" a Boston colloquialism? I can't remember anyone who isn't from there using it.
Could be. There was also this Australian dude on Instagram who would do highlights of football games as the "commentary" and use the hashtag #GAGF which stands for "Go and Get Fucked."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

brian wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:04 am Been off Facebook for a month and to be honest, don't really miss it all.
Same. I left after I got into a mask debate with an Anti-Vax Karenfluencer. I would've liked to say that getting polio and losing her ability to speak and type would have been true poetic justice, but won't happen because she was fucking vaccinated against it. But typing it out and then moving on was the more adult thing to do.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The woman who said it actually told me once that her SIL didn't go to the WH after winning a Super Bowl when Obama was president because "there's no one there worth meeting". So respectful of the office!!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:11 am Is "get fucked" a Boston colloquialism? I can't remember anyone who isn't from there using it.
I stick to "Go Fuck Yourself". It is pretty much universal.

Long long long time ago, when I was first out of college and into the working world, a colleague gave me this sheet of paper that had "West Coast-East Coast" translations for Engineers. Things like East Coast: Local Bar -> West Coast: Offsite Facility.

The best one was East Coast: Go Fuck Yourself -> West Coast: Thank you for your input. When I was in the midst of all my divorce drama with my Ex, I would regularly drop a "Thank you for your input" on her. She didn't know what it meant, but I did, and it made me feel better.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:24 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:46 pm A woman I went to high school with posted this a few days ago:

And it was really hard not to respond with A) I would guess that Sam Elliot doesn't appreciate being used in racist memes, and b) Lets see a trained seal do this:

I thought Sam Elliot was an outspoken pro-Trump guy, but maybe I've been duped by all the memes he appears in.
Hey Anyone notice the narrator in the Biden ad?

(It actually may not have been Elliott but it was in the same vein.)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah. Honestly didn’t think it was a Biden ad at first, in part because of him.

(forgot about this thread)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Still not sure it’s really Elliott.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hm. I am bad at this.

I changed the channel since it aired, can’t rewatch it right now.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:24 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:46 pm A woman I went to high school with posted this a few days ago:

And it was really hard not to respond with A) I would guess that Sam Elliot doesn't appreciate being used in racist memes, and b) Lets see a trained seal do this:

I thought Sam Elliot was an outspoken pro-Trump guy, but maybe I've been duped by all the memes he appears in.
Guess we know the answer to that now.

Wish I could see that woman from High Schools face when she sees that ad.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:04 pm Wish I could see that woman from High Schools face when she sees that ad.
I highly doubt OANN will be showing it.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, I made the mistake of scrolling through my facebook feed this morning. One of my Canadian cousins posted a funny gif of a toddler throwing a tantrum, with Trump's head photoshopped for the toddler's head. I "liked" it, and then noticed the comments. One of my (Canadian evangelical) aunts commented, "That is not funny! He's only losing because of massive voter fraud!" Jeebus! I simply replied to her, "That is not true."

Well, I also replied, "Ding dong. The witch is dead."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

There's a not insignificant part of me that wants to come back on January 21 and saying something like "hey, I've been away since mid last September. What'd I miss?"
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:37 pm So, I made the mistake of scrolling through my facebook feed this morning. One of my Canadian cousins posted a funny gif of a toddler throwing a tantrum, with Trump's head photoshopped for the toddler's head. I "liked" it, and then noticed the comments. One of my (Canadian evangelical) aunts commented, "That is not funny! He's only losing because of massive voter fraud!" Jeebus! I simply replied to her, "That is not true."

Well, I also replied, "Ding dong. The witch is dead."
My daughter said one of her teammates was ranting at soccer practice last night about how Biden was stealing the election. I was surprised, as the girl is Jewish. I expect more from my people. We are the Chosen People after all.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

His speech last night came on and I pulled the 9 year old aside for a quick "Almost everything he's saying here is a lie and the people who believe him are either too dumb to know he's lying or don't care". She knows we and most people here think he's shit but I don't want to risk her defaulting to believing authority.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:57 pm His speech last night came on and I pulled the 9 year old aside for a quick "Almost everything he's saying here is a lie and the people who believe him are either too dumb to know he's lying or don't care". She knows we and most people here think he's shit but I don't want to risk her defaulting to believing authority.
My kids can see through Trump and have even commented that he acts and sounds like a 5 year old. My daughter got in the car laughing that her teammate is a Trump fan. That said, my son went on a riff the other day about stupid people who want communism in the US. I pushed him a bit on this, and he was confusing communism and socialism, and referenced Bernie. He was really listening closely as I explained. Telling him libraries, public schools and police departments are socialism hit home.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

...and the military and roads and fire departments and air traffic controllers...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

But aside from that, what have the Romans done for us?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

So my wife's college friend who is a hardcore Trumper that continually post Tomi Lauren and other "pundits" along with idiotic memes pulled directly from Fox:

"What is your thoughts on Fox Nation? We all know Fox News is horrible! It’s History in my book."
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?