Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by brian »

brian wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:27 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:00 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:44 amWe spent a lot of time on the phone yesterday with the County Health Dept contact tracer lecturing us to stay inside etc.
It sucks, but is a relatively small sacrifice for the good of society at large.
Turned on TV just as the Gary Oldman scene in True Romance came on.
Somehow it just happened again. Literally the same spot when Clarence is walking in to see Drexel.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brian’s high as a kite and his tv has been paused for hours.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:40 am Brian’s high as a kite and his tv has been paused for hours.
Ha, I wish! Did wake and bake this morning though. Weekend!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:14 am
mister d wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:38 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:09 pm I have the first confirmed case of someone I know that has Covid. I feel like I mentioned that I pretty much cut ties with someone who was on a bender about how it's all overblown and kept giving me bogus stats and everyone should go back to school and play sports and whatnot.

Yup, it's him, but I don't wish this shit on anyone so I avoided the schadenfreude thread,and I worry because his wife has a severe autoimmune disease and a son has diabetes.
Has it changed anything or will he be one of those defiant "I lived therefore everyone lives" types.
Now he's mad that the school pulled his daughter out of her volleyball game because he has COVID. But he's also genuinely concerned for his wife who now has symptoms but doesn't have her results back yet.
Now the wife's uncle has it. And her dad has symptoms and has been around his brother. And they both stayed earlier this week overnight with Jennie's 85 year old grandmother this week who was sick on Thursday when...Jennie stayed overnight with her. GFD if I get this fucking thing because a bunch of fucking people took no fucking care to stop it I'm gonna go apeshit.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:21 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:59 pm
brian wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:27 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:00 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:44 amWe spent a lot of time on the phone yesterday with the County Health Dept contact tracer lecturing us to stay inside etc.
It sucks, but is a relatively small sacrifice for the good of society at large.
Turned on TV just as the Gary Oldman scene in True Romance came on.
It ain't white boy day
I believe that was my signature for that avatar, which I think was my second one ever here.

Unknown.jpeg
I still think that’s what you look like, DSafe.

Thanks, AB.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I wasn’t talking about you. I’m talking about my wife’s family.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:40 pm I wasn’t talking about you. I’m talking about my wife’s family.
Yeah I was actually thanking you for the stay safe message. I hadn’t seen that another page had started.

Your situation sounds crazy stressful though. Good luck. Would your wife isolate herself until you know? Or would that cause even more stress?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:17 pm
A_B wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:40 pm I wasn’t talking about you. I’m talking about my wife’s family.
Yeah I was actually thanking you for the stay safe message. I hadn’t seen that another page had started.

Your situation sounds crazy stressful though. Good luck. Would your wife isolate herself until you know? Or would that cause even more stress?
She scheduled a test for Monday and won’t be going anywhere until then. I’ll probably do a curbside grocery pickup and that’s all. We will see.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:25 pm

She scheduled a test for Monday and won’t be going anywhere until then. I’ll probably do a curbside grocery pickup and that’s all. We will see.
The harder question is at what point do you isolate from each other, or if it’s too late for that to matter.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The wife of one of my college roommates has tested positive.

My friend is freaked because he owns a deli in San Diego that's already struggling to stay afloat, but if he gets it that will likely be the last straw (they'd have to close for at least 14 days).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:41 pm
A_B wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:25 pm

The harder question is at what point do you isolate from each other, or if it’s too late for that to matter.
We were in pretty close proximity to each other for about 20 hours before hearing that she possibly might be at risk. She also went to work Friday after leaving her grandma
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

No, that's just Southern Utah, homies.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:47 pm
That was so infuriating. I want to leave with Brian. Seriously, people here are so fucking stupid, I can't take it any more.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:49 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:47 pm
That was so infuriating. I want to leave with Brian. Seriously, people here are so fucking stupid, I can't take it any more.
child molester
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:20 pm

child molester
Because wearing a mask means child molester? I've heard that a few times in the past few days, where the hell did that come from? Or is it just that all Dems and Liberals support the child trafficking ring that ONLY Trump is trying to shut down per QAnon.

Speaking of QAnon, the guy who founded and runs some major QAnon database was outed, and he lives in my town. Super.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Stay to the end.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Understanding what is taking place outside of the cities/suburbs may be a bit of a swamper blindspot. Two weeks ago our U11 kid had a soccer scrimmage with a neighboring town at their field. I did not see anyone other than our teams wearing masks our doing any type of distancing. There were two other teams there from their club and some baseball teams practicing. So a few hundred kids/adults with no masks and no distancing.

The indoor practice facility we use held a wrestling tournament over the weekend. The Township found out about it a day prior and wasn't able to stop it other than fines. The township put out notice after the event.
more than 1,200 competitors participated and an additional 1,500 people attended The Olympic Club Duals, a tournament that included scholastic, cadet and junior wrestlers from all over the United States
To go along with that the University has had 700 cases since classes started on 8/24. The school district has been fully online since last week and had 3 students report Covid yesterday.

It's going to get alot worse for the rural areas.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

testuser2 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:25 am Understanding what is taking place outside of the cities/suburbs may be a bit of a swamper blindspot. Two weeks ago our U11 kid had a soccer scrimmage with a neighboring town at their field. I did not see anyone other than our teams wearing masks our doing any type of distancing. There were two other teams there from their club and some baseball teams practicing. So a few hundred kids/adults with no masks and no distancing.

The indoor practice facility we use held a wrestling tournament over the weekend. The Township found out about it a day prior and wasn't able to stop it other than fines. The township put out notice after the event.
more than 1,200 competitors participated and an additional 1,500 people attended The Olympic Club Duals, a tournament that included scholastic, cadet and junior wrestlers from all over the United States
To go along with that the University has had 700 cases since classes started on 8/24. The school district has been fully online since last week and had 3 students report Covid yesterday.

It's going to get alot worse for the rural areas.
I really appreciate updates from different areas. It's hard for me to fathom, since my area was hit very early. Even the Trumpiest of Trump supporters here bought into masks early. There is a fair amount of anger towards our Governor for restricting restaurants and slowly opening, but not much protest to actually following the rules. South Jersey seems like a different story.

On the sports front, here is the email my daughter's coach forwarded. She had her first game of the season, and her opponents have a very strict fan protocol. They also made us email a list of names and phone numbers for the one parent allowed to attend the game, as they are doing their own contact tracing, or maybe forwarding the list to the proper authorities.

For Game this weekend

Below are rules and regulations for safe return to play for our home games. We ask that these procedures are read carefully, shared with your team and coach and are followed strictly. We will be enforcing a strict zero tolerance approach to these rules. The health and safety of players are our top priority and we hope both parties can enforce these rules to ensure a smooth fall season for soccer players.
· We will assign an away area for your team (as per EDP field layout rules for league games)
· Parents will be on the same side as your team. You will have one half of the sideline and parents will be put on the other half (as per EDP field layout rules for league games)
· Coaches must have a mask on at all times
· Parents must be a minimum of 5 yards from the sideline. Parents not respecting this distance will be asked to leave the field
· Parent seating area will be marked with cones, parents are to be in the coned area. Parents not respecting this will be asked to leave the field
· Strictly 1 parent per player to spectate. If away team comes with overcrowding, the away coach will be asked to resolve this issue before the game starts or resumes play, failure to do so will result in away parents being asked to leave the field for the game
· Parents are to stay in their cars until the game is ready to start. This is to stop gatherings and overcrowding
· If there is a game on before our game, please make sure only the coach and teh payers are by the field so they can warm up, parents are to stay in cars until the other game has finished and parents and teams have left the field of play. Once the field is empty the parents can then approach, even if this means our game has already kicked off
· Parents must be wearing masks to and from cars and at anytime they are near our players or families and that social distancing is not possible, failure to respect this rule will result in us asking away parents to leave the field for the game
· Players must wear masks to and from the field or anytime they are not playing and when social distancing is not possible
· Failure to not follow the above rules will see us closing the field to away spectators for the game and the game will not resume until spectators have left the field of play
· Failure from the coaches of away teams to enforce our rules and policy will result in us cancelling the game for the health and safety of our players. We will request a forfeit from the league for a failure to follow protocols set by the league
· If you feel our coaches or teams are not following these protocols please immediately email info@xxxxxxxx as the set terms will apply to our teams, parents and coaches and we will request the away team be giving the result for the health and safety of their players
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My daughter's team (she's not playing this fall, but her sucker of a father is still putting in time as team manager) got something similar but not as stringent from last weekend's opponent.

Our club distributed a letter/checklist to the managers (again, not as strict as what Syb posted) that we need to send to each incoming opponent with the expectation that someone on their side will sign off on it and email it back to the club (not the manager, thankfully) before showing up at our fields.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:06 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:09 pm I have the first confirmed case of someone I know that has Covid. I feel like I mentioned that I pretty much cut ties with someone who was on a bender about how it's all overblown and kept giving me bogus stats and everyone should go back to school and play sports and whatnot.

Yup, it's him, but I don't wish this shit on anyone so I avoided the schadenfreude thread,and I worry because his wife has a severe autoimmune disease and a son has diabetes.
Has it changed anything or will he be one of those defiant "I lived therefore everyone lives" types.
Now he's mad that the school pulled his daughter out of her volleyball game because he has COVID. But he's also genuinely concerned for his wife who now has symptoms but doesn't have her results back yet.
Now the wife's uncle has it. And her dad has symptoms and has been around his brother. And they both stayed earlier this week overnight with Jennie's 85 year old grandmother this week who was sick on Thursday when...Jennie stayed overnight with her. GFD if I get this fucking thing because a bunch of fucking people took no fucking care to stop it I'm gonna go apeshit.
And the woman's mom and dad both tested positive. I sat right next to her mom for about an hour Saturday, the day she ended up showing bad symptoms.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Our club is employing similar rules internally and following another set for tournaments. However, other nearby areas aren't doing anything. The club we played is from Altoona, but the game was in Tyrone. The main entrance for the field was through a trailer park. Maybe after our county reported 212 cases yesterday and is the 5th fasted growing Covid metro area in the country the next scrimmage may be a bit different.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

A_B wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:41 am
A_B wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:06 pm

And the woman's mom and dad both tested positive. I sat right next to her mom for about an hour Saturday, the day she ended up showing bad symptoms.

Gah! Good luck. Outside maybe?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Alas...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:05 pmAlas...
Did Jennie test yesterday?

I’m in line for a test now. No symptoms but I’d like to not have to distance from my wife.

Just one example of the hassle - our motor home is ready for pickup after servicing. But I can’t figure out how we can go pick it up. Normally she’d drive me to the shop, but that means half an hour in the car together.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Ok. Holy shit that sucked.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:15 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:05 pmAlas...
Did Jennie test yesterday?

I’m in line for a test now. No symptoms but I’d like to not have to distance from my wife.

Just one example of the hassle - our motor home is ready for pickup after servicing. But I can’t figure out how we can go pick it up. Normally she’d drive me to the shop, but that means half an hour in the car together.
She tested negative yesterday with a quick test. However we are now going to go get the regular test tomorrow to allow for some extra incubation time.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Spit cup. Like shoving a thermometer up your ass. Find a spit test.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Yeah I just had the thing up my nose and into my brain. It set off about two minutes of sneezing and coughing and a few more of watering eyes.

Sneezing and coughing when you potentially have Covid can’t be good. Thankfully I’m alone in my car but now I definitely don’t want anyone else in here for a few days
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Guys I can’t form coherent thoughts about some shit that has happened. I have to calm down or I might lose it.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:01 pm Guys I can’t form coherent thoughts about some shit that has happened. I have to calm down or I might lose it.
I'm sorry, AB. Take your time. We'll be here when/if you want to post your thoughts.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Whoa! C'mon man.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah, bud. We're for here for you. Vent when ready.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Can’t tonight. Because it would be rage. So I need to sleep on it and marinate.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sorry about the drama, but I am almost positive many of you will be similarly enraged.

A little backstory: Until she was 40, my wife still had all four of her grandparents. Her maternal grandfather had fought some stomach issues since I've known him, about 23 years or so now. Nothing super major and basically just old age deteriorated him and he died three years ago. Her paternal grandfather passed away from a sudden heart attack last summer, leaving her with her grandmothers.

Long story short, both grandmothers now require 24-hour care. My wife is in the rotation for her paternal, but her aunt is doing most of the time at the other grandma because Jennie's mother has her own health issues and physically can't help. That grandmother has stage iV cancer/lymphoma and is on in-home hospice, so she's close to the end.

Anyway, Jennie was told last thursday just before she was to get there (I can't remember how much of this I have already said, sorry for repeating myself) that her grandma had some stomach issues but they thought she was mostly over it. Well, she wasn't so it was a rough night for jennie of helping grandma to and from the bed and bathroom. Like, face to face touching in a lot of instances. AND, grandma had a bad cough.

Fast forward to when I posted Saturday that the uncle was positive (his actual test didn't come back that day but the doctor told him he 99% had COVID and yes he did get the positive later) and her dad was having the same symptoms. Basically we didn't find out, and were seemingly intentionally left out of the loop until two days later that there was a bad sickness going around the group that cares for that grandma. That's after the hour I spent sitting right next to my mother in law as well.

Here's the kicker. After Jennie's mom has her terrible night and day and goes to the doctor Monday AM, she and my FIL went over TO THE OTHER GRANDMA to cut the grass and give the aunt a break. They went into a person's house 1)knowing almost for certain that they had at a minimum been exposed to COVID and 2) less than 24 hours after the MIL had terrible symptoms and near hospitalization from dehydration.

Jennie went ballistic when she found out - and of course she didn't find out from the source, it was a third party who was similarly concerned with how it went down. I mean, how can you possibly be this irresponsible!?!?!?

Sorry guys, I probably played it up too much last night (I may have had some jalapeno passion fruit martinis).
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fuck man
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

That sucks AB. It is infuriating when people don't take their own safety into consideration, let alone those around them.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB, you underplayed it if anything. I'm furious for you. Absolutely disgusting and irresponsible. If someone thinks they might be exposed, they owe a duty to warn others, and let them decide if they want to take the risk of exposure. Inexcusable, especially when older people with health issues are concerned.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nope, I'd react exactly like you or worse, especially with the "intentionally left out" factor. That means they know you're serious and just don't care.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Your feelings aren't wrong.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.