The I need to buy a house thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: The I need to buy a house thread

Post by mister d »

What's the latest on Club Portugal?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:27 am What's the latest on Club Portugal?
I'm cautiously optimistic the police got the message across. 2 parties Labor Day weekend and one party last weekend, but they were all within a reasonable range and the music shut off by 10:00 pm every night.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Anyone need to buy a home? My house goes on the market within the next couple days. They will finish staging it today and then the photos will go on MLS either tonight or tomorrow.

The market has remained red hot here and it's looking good that it sells quickly. I'm reading that there are less than 1,000 homes available across the city because inventory is super low. I'm happy that I bought in a nice, desirable area.

What a journey it has been getting to this point though. I did everything up front (inspections and repairs) so that I can hopefully leave little wiggle room for any alibis.

And I'm still counting my blessings that if I had to leave America, it's right now. I'm in the envious position of selling high without having to buy immediately. We shall see what the Tucson market looks like in over a year from now when I'm done with Korea and ready to buy then.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:17 am Anyone need to buy a home? My house goes on the market within the next couple days. They will finish staging it today and then the photos will go on MLS either tonight or tomorrow.

The market has remained red hot here and it's looking good that it sells quickly. I'm reading that there are less than 1,000 homes available across the city because inventory is super low. I'm happy that I bought in a nice, desirable area.

What a journey it has been getting to this point though. I did everything up front (inspections and repairs) so that I can hopefully leave little wiggle room for any alibis.

And I'm still counting my blessings that if I had to leave America, it's right now. I'm in the envious position of selling high without having to buy immediately. We shall see what the Tucson market looks like in over a year from now when I'm done with Korea and ready to buy then.
Nice timing, I think history will show you timed the market well, as I think prices will be way down in a year or two as the economy craters and the market catches up from the inventory glut. Maybe the suburbs won't take as big a hit, as people continue to flee from cities, but I think big city real estate is going to hit disastrous lows.

As for the strategy of fixing up inspection issues before sale, I prefer the opposite approach. Probably a good idea to know if there are any major issues before selling, but the buyer isn't going to care that you already spent $X fixing issues, they are going to demand you fix some things. Even if you fixed every single item your inspector pointed out, there inspector is going to find something. They need to justify their existence and cover their asses in case things wear down or are defective. They throw in so much BS in their reports. Anyways, when we sold we knew the house was over due for a new roof. What I didn't know was there was a rock in the sewer line, the chimney was a hazard, bathroom fan wiring was a fire hazard, additional electrical issues, water pipes not up to code... We got away with "just" paying for the roof and chimney, but if we put on a new roof, they would have insisted on the electrical work or the rock being removed or something else. I did have an electrician fix some things before we sold, and he pointed out the electrical box wasn't up to code and several outlets were required to have GFCI that weren't he told me there was no way that would get through an inspection. I didn't fix any of those things to use as a bargaining chip, and their inspector didn't catch any of it.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I remember your adventures from your previous posts. I was panicking for you when reading what you wrote.

But the thing i had to realize was that 1) you're in New Jersey 2) your house is waaaaayyyyy more extensive than mine. Now, coupled with an absolutely heavy seller's market, homes here are legit going for *above* asking with people not even seeing the house in person before making an offer.

My realtor friend has been on the buyer's side for a number of these interactions. Example: she finally found a family a place after their *8th* offer they put in and they went ~7k above asking. I was floored.

So, now she's on the seller's side and she just sent me this link:

Albuquerque housing market seeing high demand for sellers, luxury homes

My house is by no means luxury, but it's in the "luxury" part of town. This house, with the same floor plan as mine, went for $275k. It has a better front area, back yard, time throughout, and better bathrooms. So mine won't nearly go for that much, but my kitchen is faaaarrrr better than that cutout shit.

So, we shall see what ends up happening.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Lower side of sought after neighborhoods / school districts is like the ideal place to be right now.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:15 am Lower side of sought after neighborhoods / school districts is like the ideal place to be right now.
Evergreen. One generally does well to buy a lesser house in the most desirable neighborhood possible. Much better than the reverse.

The wife and I have been musing about cashing out and moving. We always favored the wine country, but constant fires there... I don’t know... I’m kind of intrigued by Johnnie’s place, Tucson. I know a couple other folks there and they talk it up. If Trump wins, Vancouver might be in play, if they ever admit Americans again.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I wish, Johnnie.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Why would you guys buy a house in shitty ABQ when you can buy my house in fabulous Las Vegas!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:30 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:47 am Two trucks and a van unloading the house across the street. Can't wait to find out how playing the new neighbor lottery works out.
I've got a neighbor I'll trade you.
We took cookies over yesterday. The wife seems nice (husband wasn't home) and their dog is a giant, but mentioned their four "blended" kids (all older than ours).

I look forward to not speaking to them until next spring.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:23 am
mister d wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:15 am Lower side of sought after neighborhoods / school districts is like the ideal place to be right now.
Evergreen. One generally does well to buy a lesser house in the most desirable neighborhood possible. Much better than the reverse.

The wife and I have been musing about cashing out and moving. We always favored the wine country, but constant fires there... I don’t know... I’m kind of intrigued by Johnnie’s place, Tucson. I know a couple other folks there and they talk it up. If Trump wins, Vancouver might be in play, if they ever admit Americans again.
Sonoita is a short drive from Tucson. Excellent wineries.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If you Zillow the address of the house I linked, my place is located in exactly that. Homes literally across the street from mine are far more expensive and really don't really add much. But hey, I'll take the desirability!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:52 am Why would you guys buy a house in shitty ABQ when you can buy my house in fabulous Las Vegas!
If Vegas was an hour to Santa Fe, I'd consider.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:35 pm
brian wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:52 am Why would you guys buy a house in shitty ABQ when you can buy my house in fabulous Las Vegas!
If Vegas was an hour to Santa Fe, I'd consider.
That's another thing. My folks live in a northwest suburb of Albuquerque and are fading a bit. I may need to spend a lot of time thereabouts if things get worse. That makes Santa Fe look pretty good.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:04 am

lots of bars on doors and windows.. is that a local style? or security measures? was expecting to see the broken glass atop the fence/walls
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

elflaco2 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:30 pm

lots of bars on doors and windows.. is that a local style? or security measures? was expecting to see the broken glass atop the fence/walls
Blame it on Walter White.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

elflaco2 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:30 pm

Fairly sure it's a southwest thing. My house has bars on the windows and a security door. And they seem to be common everywhere.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The house is on the market. It already had a showing at 0800. I'm anxious in a good way for it. (Link in code in the spoiler tag. I think that assists with fully doxxing myself to the internet.)
[+] spoiler

Code: Select all

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8800-Spain-Rd-NE-Albuquerque-NM-87111/6777068_zpid/?utm_campaign=androidappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That's a nice house. Hell, I don't care. I'll post mine on here too, even though the listing isn't up yet.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's really nice, Johnnie. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I could ever convince my wife to move to Abq.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is where half of us go to a quiet place and sob.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 pm This is where half of us go to a quiet place and sob.
if you want to cry even more we're looking at a total cost of $120 a sqft on just south of an acre for a fully updated/brand new 4/3 house after we get done with the sports bar downstairs in a month
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Giff wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:07 pm That's really nice, Johnnie. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I could ever convince my wife to move to Abq.
I have a hard time getting my wife to visit, and she has family there!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sharp looking place Johnnie. Shouldn't have any problems moving that.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am The house is on the market. It already had a showing at 0800. I'm anxious in a good way for it. (Link in code in the spoiler tag. I think that assists with fully doxxing myself to the internet.)
[+] spoiler

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8800-Spain-Rd-NE-Albuquerque-NM-87111/6777068_zpid/?utm_campaign=androidappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare
A snow shovel?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 pm This is where half of us go to a quiet place and sob.
Nooooo shit! I made the mistake of looking at taxes. I legit got nauseous. I'm going to doxx Rass and post his house next.

Johnnie, does the speed limit sign come with the house?

Brian, what is that crazy structure on the foot of the detention basin?
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:31 pm Brian, what is that crazy structure on the foot of the detention basin?
Not even sure myself. Mostly just something for the local teens to tag graffiti on, which the city comes by and paints over every couple of days. I assume it serves some purpose but near as I can tell it's just so that it's not just a huge wall there. (Also popular for music video shoots by local musicians).
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sabo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:55 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am The house is on the market. It already had a showing at 0800. I'm anxious in a good way for it. (Link in code in the spoiler tag. I think that assists with fully doxxing myself to the internet.)
[+] spoiler

A snow shovel?
We had a winter storm two years ago. I shoveled my roof. I shit you not. We're high desert, so it definitely snows here regardless.

Syb, no, the sign is part of the "staging" furniture. It doesn't come with the house unfortunately. Haha.

And thanks everyone. There was a showing at 0800 this morning. Already have a verbal offer and there are still 7 more showings. So, if this goes to a bidding war...😳😳.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:09 pmWe had a winter storm two years ago. I shoveled my roof. I shit you not. We're high desert, so it definitely snows here regardless.
I was in ABQ during December years ago. I remember it being cold but didn't think it snowed in town at all. I thought the snows were limited to the nearby mesas. TILS.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We go to my parent’s house in the ABQ suburbs just about every Christmas. Snow on the ground more often than not. There’s a ski area less than an hour drive away.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You guys don’t watch the New Mexico Bowl apparently.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Average annual snowfall in Albuquerque is less than ten inches. So I think there might be some perception / confirmation / recall bias going on.

Santa Fe gets 32 inches.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:27 pm Average annual snowfall in Albuquerque is less than ten inches. So I think there might be some perception / confirmation / recall bias going on.

Santa Fe gets 32 inches.
Santa Fe is at 6,200 feet IIRC. (ABQ closer to 4,000 IIRC.)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:29 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:27 pm Average annual snowfall in Albuquerque is less than ten inches. So I think there might be some perception / confirmation / recall bias going on.

Santa Fe gets 32 inches.
Santa Fe is at 6,200 feet IIRC. (ABQ closer to 4,000 IIRC.)
ABQ is at 5300. (So yeah, it's closer to 4000 than Santa Fe is.) I have a feeling it's not so much the elevation difference, but also that ABQ is on a plain, while Santa Fe is more "in the mountains".
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The one thing you notice when you are on the west side of the city looking east is that it's a very steady "ramp" up to the foothills of the Sandias and then it's all mountain.

I distinctly remember a CrossFit gym at the base of the mountain touting it being at 6000'. Whereas if you're on base at the track it's slightly below a mile high. (If the track is over a mile high then a decent amount of time gets detected from your official PT run. Under a mile it's a few seconds.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:20 pm You guys don’t watch the New Mexico Bowl apparently.
Now you're just making up bowls.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Got a full cash offer on the 3rd showing this morning up to $10k over asking. By 1400 tomorrow I'll know exactly what it's going for.

And one of my board games came in from Kickstarter today plus I tried this new pizza place and I had the day off work.

So yea. Today was a good day.

Happy birthday to me.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Congrats!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hey, good on you, bud!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:50 pm Got a full cash offer on the 3rd showing this morning up to $10k over asking. By 1400 tomorrow I'll know exactly what it's going for.

And one of my board games came in from Kickstarter today plus I tried this new pizza place and I had the day off work.

So yea. Today was a good day.

Happy birthday to me.
You catch the lights on the Goodyear Blimp?
-Pruitt