Up the Pool (or maybe just not Get Relegated)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Up the Pool (or maybe just not Get Relegated)

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My co-worker from Middlesboro sent me this--- (go down the page a bit)
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2 ... -paul-ince" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So pool get David Perkins from Barnsley and then a 2-0 defeat. This team is falling apart.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ince is abysmal.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote:Ince is abysmal.
Blackpool has one point in their last nine Championship matches, and they also lost their FA Cup match in the middle of that stretch.

Rumors abound that's going to be fired today, but so far, nothing official.

His son is also rumored to be transferring either to Monaco or PSG for £4-5 million.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Karl Oyston and Paul Ince met for four hours on Sunday. After the meeting, no formal announcement was made, but it appears Ince kept his job.

Until now. Paul Ince has been fired (including his assistants Alex Rae and Steve Thompson), and current Pool midfielder Barry Ferguson will take over for the rest of the season. Not sure if he will play and manage at the same time, but I would think so as he's been their best midfielder the last two years.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sabo wrote:Karl Oyston and Paul Ince met for four hours on Sunday. After the meeting, no formal announcement was made, but it appears Ince kept his job.

Until now. Paul Ince has been fired (including his assistants Alex Rae and Steve Thompson), and current Pool midfielder Barry Ferguson will take over for the rest of the season. Not sure if he will play and manage at the same time, but I would think so as he's been their best midfielder the last two years.
Story in the Guardian is that Oyston sacked Ince via text message.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Blackpool was thumped 5-1 by Reading yesterday, but the Pool goal was a thing of beauty:

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

My first reaction was that the keeper must've been out of position or asleep. But the replays show otherwise,(maybe just a tad out front, but even with ideal position/balance he wasn't getting that blast.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Numerous reports on Twitter that Freddy Adu trained with Blackpool today.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My Boro fanatic co-worker just congratulated me on picking up one of their "non-assist making wingers" (Faris Haroun)
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Latest rumor is Tom Ince is being loaned to Crystal Palace for the rest of the year, with former Blackpool player Stephen Dobbie coming back to Bloomfield Road.

Blackpool also signed Andy Keogh a couple of days ago. Nothing new on Adu, from what I've read.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Adu goes 45 minutes in closed door training
http://soccer.si.com/2014/02/05/freddy- ... scrimmage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Adu goes 45 minutes in closed door training
http://soccer.si.com/2014/02/05/freddy- ... scrimmage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blackpool won't offer Freddy Adu a contract but he's going to continue to train with the Seasiders.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

2 points above relegation with 4 to play.

I don't want to have to learn about Milton Keyes, Colchester United,and Walsall
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote:2 points above relegation with 4 to play.

I don't want to have to learn about Milton Keyes, Colchester United,and Walsall
Well, that is where all this started for us.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Well at least there are 2 teams below the Pool
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Jose Riga takes the reigns of Blackpool. Was with Charlton Athletic and Standard Liege before that. I am not optomistic. I figure he is gone before the new year
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

So, why would you leave Charlton for the Pool? He was interim there for just a few weeks, right?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

howard wrote:So, why would you leave Charlton for the Pool? He was interim there for just a few weeks, right?
From what I read they could not agree on a contract. Which is very surprising to me because I did not think the Pool were outspending anyone
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yep, even American media has caught wind of this incompetence. Also, Oyston's kids were caught bragging about shooting pigeons at Bloomfield Road. Many seem to think that's against the rules in the UK.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote:Yep, even American media has caught wind of this incompetence. Also, Oyston's kids were caught bragging about shooting pigeons at Bloomfield Road. Many seem to think that's against the rules in the UK.
Of course it is. Bragging goes against the whole dour "stiff upper lip" thing.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Speculation is increasing that Jose Riga is about to quit Blackpool. He's been their manager for all of five weeks. Ridiculous.

ETA: Blackpool Gazette reporter Will Watt wrote that Riga's camp is saying he's still the manager, but apparently there is a major disagreement between Riga and Oyston about transfer policy that might force Riga out. Asinine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Saw this on me twitter feed:

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Yeah I don't think this will be my EPL team
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Things are getting so bad with Karl Oyston that even Preston North End fans are starting to feel sorry for Blackpool fans.

Anyway, supposedly Oyston and Riga had a long meeting today and a decision about their impasse will be revealed in the next 48 hours.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

And I though that being a Bills fan sucked.

Unimaginable, and this probably won't end with a single relegation either. One of the amazing thing is that the football league will "fine" a team 10 points or so if it falls into administration, yet they do nothing to stop teams from making a complete shambles of things in the first place.

(Or have I missed something here?)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sabo wrote: but apparently there is a major disagreement between Riga and Oyston about transfer policy that might force Riga out.
Is the major disagreeement actually signing enough guys to have a full team to start the season?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote:Saw this on me twitter feed:

Ha!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Pruitt wrote:And I though that being a Bills fan sucked.

Unimaginable, and this probably won't end with a single relegation either. One of the amazing thing is that the football league will "fine" a team 10 points or so if it falls into administration, yet they do nothing to stop teams from making a complete shambles of things in the first place.

(Or have I missed something here?)
Blackpool isn't a threat to enter administration. That's reserved for teams that don't have the financial resources to operate. In fact, Blackpool is the opposite. They have a lot of cash (or had a lot of cash until the Oyston family pocketed it), but the chairman refuses to pay agent fees or wages above £10k a week. Thus, the team is always on the lookout for players who were released on free transfers or are willing to earn very little while playing for the squad.
@wlu_lax wrote:Is the major disagreeement actually signing enough guys to have a full team to start the season?
Sure seems that way. From what I've read, Oyston felt Riga's transfer targets were too expensive or would involve paying agent fees, which he again refuses to do. Riga reportedly submitted a different list to Oyston when they met two days ago, but they've made no progress in getting anyone on the team.

Oyston also has the balls to charge £15 for a home friendly next week, even though the team doesn't have enough players to actually play. It's one of the most shocking things I've seen in sports, and this is coming from someone who used to root for a team owned by Mike Brown.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yay! Another Mike Brown shot. How's the Browns fandom thing working for you? Federal crimes from the owner more sexy?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote:Yay! Another Mike Brown shot. How's the Browns fandom thing working for you? Federal crimes from the owner more sexy?
Scoreboard baby!

Oh, wait...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yeah, that's what I was saying. Count the rings. Just saying that Mike Brown shots are kinda old and played at this point. Last 10 years, Bengals have been plenty competitive, and perhaps the 90s stuff can recede just a bit.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Jesus, TB. I didn't realize my heel turn had such an impact on you. Please don't take my comments so personally.

ETA:
@tennbengal wrote:Yeah, that's what I was saying. Count the rings. Just saying that Mike Brown shots are kinda old and played at this point. Last 10 years, Bengals have been plenty competitive, and perhaps the 90s stuff can recede just a bit.
My beef with the Bengals is solely related to Mike Brown's ownership. I lost interest when he made roster decisions because he saw himself as a "redeemer" than a general manager trying to improve the team's talent. If an owner isn't making an effort to win, then why should I support them financially? If you disagree, that's fine, no worries on my end.

But beware chucking those rocks at glass houses, TB. I seem to remember the Brown family almost selling the Bengals several years ago because of a rather massive delinquent tax bill a while ago. But not all crimes are equal, are they?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It wasn't a massive delinquent tax bill, it was an argument with the government over the correctness and nature of the tax, and whether and in what amount it was owed. That is a magnitude of a nuclear bomb different from what Owner Truck Stop was involved with in terms of defrauding his customers and the government.

Yeah, I get it, Mike Brown wounded you. And now you have the loving bosom of new version Browns fandom to wallow in and glory in that one time in 2007 when something good happened. All because the Bengals had a shitty 1990s.

Sorry for being chippy. I just don't get the continual potshots. Since 2003, the Bengals have been pretty competitive. Lots of playoff losses, but playoffs nonetheless. And their front office is generally considered one of the better in the NFL right now, and if Brown was taking shots for what it was before, maybe somewhat honest to note the turnaround also under his watch.

It's cool that you switched allegiances, you live up there, etc. Make sense. Just noting that which you say drove you away may not be that which currently exists. And if you want to make fun of ownership, the Cleveland ownership group has been pretty clownshoes for years now -coaching and front office merry-go-round etc. Even before you get to the federal crimes.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote:It wasn't a massive delinquent tax bill, it was an argument with the government over the correctness and nature of the tax, and whether and in what amount it was owed. That is a magnitude of a nuclear bomb different from what Owner Truck Stop was involved with in terms of defrauding his customers and the government.

Yeah, I get it, Mike Brown wounded you. And now you have the loving bosom of new version Browns fandom to wallow in and glory in that one time in 2007 when something good happened. All because the Bengals had a shitty 1990s.

Sorry for being chippy. I just don't get the continual potshots. Since 2003, the Bengals have been pretty competitive. Lots of playoff losses, but playoffs nonetheless. And their front office is generally considered one of the better in the NFL right now, and if Brown was taking shots for what it was before, maybe somewhat honest to note the turnaround also under his watch.
One of the many bad parts about being a Browns and Bills fan is that fans of the teams we used to make fun of - specifically the Bengals and even the Cardinals and Lions for God's sake - can laugh at us and we can have no come backs.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote:It wasn't a massive delinquent tax bill, it was an argument with the government over the correctness and nature of the tax, and whether and in what amount it was owed. That is a magnitude of a nuclear bomb different from what Owner Truck Stop was involved with in terms of defrauding his customers and the government.

It's cool that you switched allegiances, you live up there, etc. Make sense. Just noting that which you say drove you away may not be that which currently exists. And if you want to make fun of ownership, the Cleveland ownership group has been pretty clownshoes for years now -coaching and front office merry-go-round etc. Even before you get to the federal crimes.
It really wasn't that much of a potshot.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

True.

I yield.

Then again, if BFJ made a Bengals arrest joke, I would probably respond and note the current Ravens crime spree and wonder why not start there...

In any event, I yield.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

tennbengal wrote:Sorry for being chippy. I just don't get the continual potshots. Since 2003, the Bengals have been pretty competitive. Lots of playoff losses, but playoffs nonetheless. And their front office is generally considered one of the better in the NFL right now, and if Brown was taking shots for what it was before, maybe somewhat honest to note the turnaround also under his watch.

I won't disagree the Bengals are in a better place now than they were 10 years ago, both on and off the field. And guess what, that turnaround began once Brown stopped signing players to give them their third, fourth or fifth chances. Once Brown realized that what happens on the field is what matters most, that's when the Bengals started to get better. So yes, there has been a positive turnaround for the Bengals once Brown was finally convinced his actions as GM were hurting the team.

And yes, the Browns ownership group has been a laughingstock for years, and rightfully so. But that blame goes to one person – Randy Lerner. Lerner was never interested in being an NFL owner, and as a result he hired presidents and GMs to run the place while Lerner was owning and running Aston Villa in the EPL. When you hire a guy to be president of your team and pay him $5 million a year to do so, you might expect the owner to actually stay in town and run the team. Instead, that president decided to remain in Seattle and go on his weekly radio show while never appearing on local media. Then again, that president never had to worry about fulfilling that promise about printing playoff tickets, either.

At least Haslam gives a shit, and tries to correct the mistakes he's made. I know he looked foolish firing Banner and Lombardi after one year, but if he feels it was a bad hire in the first place, then it's better to get rid of them now than make the team languish another three years. It sucks the Browns are paying multimillions to former coaches, GMs and presidents, but if that's what it takes to make the team better in the long run, so be it.

Would I prefer Haslam not be a scumbag? Of course. But it's clear he fooled a lot of people, including the NFL, as he was the highest-rated potential owner when the Browns went up for sale. And I would still rather have Haslam as an owner instead of a guy like Daniel Snyder, Zygi Wilf or some of the other scumbags that own NFL teams.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Blackpool is playing Penrith FC this afternoon. Here's the lineup.

TEAM: Trialist, Waddington, Trialist, Perkins, McMahon (C), Dunne, Zenjov, Trialist, Trialist, Grant, Trialist.

SUBS: Barkhuizen, Trialist, Highan, Telford, Moulden, Gregory, Trialist.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer