EPL 2020/21

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: EPL 2020/21

Post by rass »

I want to feel for you guys but we have Comcast/Xfinity and all I have to do is click a button on the voice remote and say the name of the app and (a couple of minutes later once it loads and once I'm able to find the game because it isn't always on the home page and the browsing interface is super clunky) and the game is right there on my TV, all as part of my normal subscription.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:13 am I want to feel for you guys but we have Comcast/Xfinity and all I have to do is click a button on the voice remote and say the name of the app and (a couple of minutes later once it loads and once I'm able to find the game because it isn't always on the home page and the browsing interface is super clunky) and the game is right there on my TV, all as part of my normal subscription.
What provider are you using? I have FiOS, I just assumed Peacock is a pay service and didn't even look. Now that AP Bio is coming back on Peacock, they are tempting me. So far I'm protesting. MiB seem to be Peacock only now, too. ESPN went full streaming for FA Cup, leaving me with a 3 hour bass fishing tournament instead of the FA Cup Final. I think it's time to ditch cable and buy a bunch of streaming channels. I never even watch TV anymore, just don't think I can get my wife to agree to cut the cord.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

rass wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:13 am I want to feel for you guys but we have Comcast/Xfinity and all I have to do is click a button on the voice remote and say the name of the app and (a couple of minutes later once it loads and once I'm able to find the game because it isn't always on the home page and the browsing interface is super clunky) and the game is right there on my TV, all as part of my normal subscription.
Yeah, me too, though watching the game I feel like I’m at the tail end of an acid trip with the tracers and weird lag.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:49 am
What provider are you using? I have FiOS, I just assumed Peacock is a pay service and didn't even look. Now that AP Bio is coming back on Peacock, they are tempting me. So far I'm protesting. MiB seem to be Peacock only now, too. ESPN went full streaming for FA Cup, leaving me with a 3 hour bass fishing tournament instead of the FA Cup Final. I think it's time to ditch cable and buy a bunch of streaming channels. I never even watch TV anymore, just don't think I can get my wife to agree to cut the cord.
Comcast for both TV/internet
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Oh, shit Peacock is free! I just assumed it was a subscription service and got pissed off at NBC. For some reason, I read the comments on a Peacock ad on FB, and thousands of people all angrily calling NBC greedy and refusing to sign up. They really need to do a better job letting people know it's free. The best was someone saying they will switch to Bundesliga because it's on cable TV, and someone pointing out Bundesliga was moved to ESPN+.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Peacock is free, but you have to pay to get the premium version which has live EPL games, unless you are a Comcast customer.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:26 am Peacock is free, but you have to pay to get the premium version which has live EPL games, unless you are a Comcast customer.
So I could watch AP Bio, but not soccer. Ok, mostly fuck NBC.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:21 am Oh, shit Peacock is free! I just assumed it was a subscription service and got pissed off at NBC. For some reason, I read the comments on a Peacock ad on FB, and thousands of people all angrily calling NBC greedy and refusing to sign up. They really need to do a better job letting people know it's free. The best was someone saying they will switch to Bundesliga because it's on cable TV, and someone pointing out Bundesliga was moved to ESPN+.
While I've known for awhile that Peacock is "free," I totally agree they did a terrible job getting that word out. I thought it was a pay service for at least a month after it launched in July.

Thing is, it's still not available on Roku or as a Samsung smart app, so it's effectively still dead to me until they get that sorted. I just read this morning that they came to an agreement, but it will take weeks to get the app up on the Roku platform.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I really don’t know what else is behind the paywall. Probably anything that is good.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:21 am Oh, shit Peacock is free! I just assumed it was a subscription service and got pissed off at NBC. For some reason, I read the comments on a Peacock ad on FB, and thousands of people all angrily calling NBC greedy and refusing to sign up. They really need to do a better job letting people know it's free. The best was someone saying they will switch to Bundesliga because it's on cable TV, and someone pointing out Bundesliga was moved to ESPN+.
It's definitely free with the right Comcast subscription presumably because Comcast and NBC are part of one bighappyconglomerate family.

When it was first announced I thought I read that there might be a free/ad-supported version but I have no idea if that is the case and if so whether it includes the EPL.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:29 am
It's definitely free with the right Comcast subscription presumably because Comcast and NBC are part of one bighappyconglomerate family.

When it was first announced I thought I read that there might be a free/ad-supported version but I have no idea if that is the case and if so whether it includes the EPL.
For those of us not lucky enough to have Comcast for cable, (such an odd sentence, as they were by far the worst cable service I've ever had), there's three versions. Free has some stuff, but nothing live (my guess is NBC shows at least a week or so after initial release), a $4.99 option which adds live sports (and is the minimum level you need for live EPL), and $9.99 which is ad free.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:28 am
While I've known for awhile that Peacock is "free," I totally agree they did a terrible job getting that word out. I thought it was a pay service for at least a month after it launched in July.

Thing is, it's still not available on Roku or as a Samsung smart app, so it's effectively still dead to me until they get that sorted. I just read this morning that they came to an agreement, but it will take weeks to get the app up on the Roku platform.
Ah, I have a Samsung TV, probably why I didn't find the app. This shit is getting so confusing.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I grudgingly signed up for the $5/mo version yesterday. I figured if they're putting Chelsea-Liverpool on there, I should expect that most games I want are going to be on there too.

I then added the Peacock app to my LG TV and it was actually a pretty good experience. I just miss being able to pause like I can on my YouTube TV (which is also an app on my TV).
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Can you stream a game any time, or do you have to watch it live? I record and watch later to FF through pauses in action. Is that still an option?
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Live only, I think. Which is even shittier.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Kinda like seeing Stones in the lineup tonight. I know its more numbers game than Pep preference but its better than Fernandinho or Otamendi back there and he would be a more than solid #4 for the season.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:24 pm Live only, I think. Which is even shittier.
Stupid. Will the games be available for streaming on NBCSN website like they used to be? At least a few games each week that don't require the gold membership? Really shitty if they make people buy two subscriptions.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:29 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:24 pm Live only, I think. Which is even shittier.
Stupid. Will the games be available for streaming on NBCSN website like they used to be? At least a few games each week that don't require the gold membership? Really shitty if they make people buy two subscriptions.
I don't think there's an NBCSN streaming option any more. They still do a ~12 minute or so "extended" highlights thing for the NBC Sports Youtube page that's free, and looks like is posted a few hours after the game is complete.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:32 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:29 pm
I don't think there's an NBCSN streaming option any more. They still do a ~12 minute or so "extended" highlights thing for the NBC Sports Youtube page that's free, and looks like is posted a few hours after the game is complete.
I watch those the rare times Arsenal games aren't available in full, but I always see the score when looking for those. The NBCSN website was great, as they had an option to hide scores before searching for a video of the game you want.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Just got an email that Peacock is now on Roku.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:46 pm Just got an email that Peacock is now on Roku.

They brokered a deal that was announced on Friday. It will take time for the app to appear on the platform, apparently.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:53 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:46 pm Just got an email that Peacock is now on Roku.

They brokered a deal that was announced on Friday. It will take time for the app to appear on the platform, apparently.
its on now
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yup, saw it at noon.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

fortunately, i can return the chromecast. and with nufc winning the first week, i'm glad i got it.

after watching nufc yesterday, i'm thinking of taking the roku back too. they were gawd awful.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

City's paisley kits are ridiculous.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't mind the look from a distance?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Now that I'm officially an expert, here are some things that should change about soccer:
- The entire 18 yard box shouldn't be a penalty, it should be reshaped
- The player who draws the penalty or has the last touch should take the penalty
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:47 pm Now that I'm officially an expert, here are some things that should change about soccer:
- The entire 18 yard box shouldn't be a penalty, it should be reshaped
- The player who draws the penalty or has the last touch should take the penalty
No offsides when a ball is below the 18 yard line
Automatic yellow card for delaying the game after a foul or similar gamesmanship by pushing the ball away or purposely slowing down a quick restart by not moving 10 yards away (or attempting to).
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

COVID outbreak at West Ham. Moyes, Issa Diop, and Josh Cullen all test positive, and are sent home prior to tonight's match in the Carabao Cup, WHICH IS STILL GOING ON, and the Hammers are up 1-0 v. Hull.

How in the hell isn't the entire team isolated via contact tracing?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:25 pm COVID outbreak at West Ham. Moyes, Issa Diop, and Josh Cullen all test positive, and are sent home prior to tonight's match in the Carabao Cup, WHICH IS STILL GOING ON, and the Hammers are up 1-0 v. Hull.

Luck O' the hammers!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:33 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:25 pm COVID outbreak at West Ham. Moyes, Issa Diop, and Josh Cullen all test positive, and are sent home prior to tonight's match in the Carabao Cup, WHICH IS STILL GOING ON, and the Hammers are up 1-0 v. Hull.

Luck O' the hammers!
Crackerjack!

If the Guardian's MbM report is to be believed, Luton are outplaying Man U.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Sounds like UK is about to go bananas with COVID now that everyone is back from vacation. This is interesting though:

Probably a bit too soon after the game to draw any conclusions. Diop played, and if Moyes is like he used to be he was chattering all game long.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

image.png
image.png (14.12 KiB) Viewed 376 times
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:36 pm Sounds like UK is about to go bananas with COVID now that everyone is back from vacation. This is interesting though:

Probably a bit too soon after the game to draw any conclusions. Diop played, and if Moyes is like he used to be he was chattering all game long.
Tottenham v. Leyton Orient Carabao Cup match postponed due to "widespread coronavirus outbreak" at Leyton Orient. EPL requires testing before every match, but it's not required for Cup matches. Tottenham paid for LO players to get tested, and they must be glad they are. I'd love to see a conspiracy theory where Tottenham paid off the testers to declare widespread positives in order to force a forfeit. This could be bigger than the Argentina drugging Brazilian players during the 1990 World Cup!
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Also, I'm very leery of false positives. With the number of tests these teams go through, I wouldn't be surprised if a team had several false positives in a day, although I bet they give multiple tests if someone is positive.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, as a lifelong (3 day old) fan of Spurs, I am outraged.

Or mildly interested in the idea that Leyton Orient's league isn't mandating testing. That's a risk they decided to take, and the clubs were likely allowed to follow suit or up their game. They took a risk, it didn't pan out... Tottenham onto the next round.

#COYS
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wonder what the losses actually were here. If rapid testing is cost prohibitive for a club at their level and (in the slight bit of reading I did here) most early Carabao revenue comes from split ticket sales, it might not have really mattered (financially)?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:17 am Well, as a lifelong (3 day old) fan of Spurs, I am outraged.

Or mildly interested in the idea that Leyton Orient's league isn't mandating testing. That's a risk they decided to take, and the clubs were likely allowed to follow suit or up their game. They took a risk, it didn't pan out... Tottenham onto the next round.

#COYS
I doubt League Two can afford rapid tests. That is the 4th tier down in English Football, and the lowest level of "League Football." There are lower "non-league" flights, which I assume is like semi-pro, but I'm not well versed on that. League Two is like a Single A baseball, but without the affiliation to big league clubs, so there is very little money in it.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:17 am Well, as a lifelong (3 day old) fan of Spurs, I am outraged.

#COYS
Exactly! Screw Orient!

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I know he does not own the team any more but the MIB conversations with Barry Hearn were some of my favorite. hard to not like Orient after that.