Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:12 pm I think there’s a good chance I know all of my neighbor’s shirts.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Got a two-fer today:

1. There should be a term for conversational value where the replacement level is whether your kids are interrupting you or bailing you out.

2. Fake jerseys should be a thing. Like Giannis Knicks jersey or a Mahomes Jets jersey.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Last night, I learned this twitter account exists:
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:43 pm Last night, I learned this twitter account exists:
You know that’s just a GPJ side hustle, right?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:42 pm
2. Fake jerseys should be a thing. Like Giannis Knicks jersey or a Mahomes Jets jersey.
Bizarre but I like it.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:56 am
mister d wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:42 pm
Bizarre but I like it.
In college, there was an intramural basketball team where they all had the same Shaq Laker's jersey with the wrong number. A store was selling misprints for $5, so they all got one.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

It wouldn’t been even better if they spelled the name “O’NEIL”.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, funny thing happened to me in Seattle on Friday. Learned a lesson about media stuff, too.

I met up with my old high school best friend, who lives in Seattle. He went into a brewpub/pizza place on University Way to pick up a pizza he ordered, and I waited outside. I started chatting with a lady outside who was holding a video camera. She introduced me to a reporter from KOMO ABC news who said she was doing a report on how the suspension of Pac-12 football games was affecting fans and local businesses. She asked me if I would do a "man on the street" interview for the local news. So, I did. I said that it was sad for the fans, students and businesses that the games were off, but that I thought it was prudent and the appropriate thing to do, given the Covid issues, etc.

They put my full interview in the print part of their website, at this link. (Unfortunately, the video link on this story doesn't include the section of me on camera!) But, for the televised portion of my interview, they edited it down. Unfortunately, they took out the later part of the interview, so on TV it just had me talking about how sad it is. So, they gave the mistaken impression that I think the games should still be played.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:38 pm He went into a brewpub/pizza place on University Way to pick up a pizza he ordered, and I waited outside.
So you were at Big Time?
I started chatting with a lady outside who was holding a video camera. She introduced me to a reporter from KOMO ABC news who said she was doing a report on how the suspension of Pac-12 football games was affecting fans and local businesses. She asked me if I would do a "man on the street" interview for the local news. So, I did. I said that it was sad for the fans, students and businesses that the games were off, but that I thought it was prudent and the appropriate thing to do, given the Covid issues, etc.
KOMO is the local Sinclair/Propaganda outlet.

The Seattle Times today had a pretty similar article today....complete with an interview with the owner of Big Time.

'We just have to survive and keep going forward': How local businesses are impacted by a fall without UW football
But, again, there’s an elephant in the room — and this one is less literal. As COVID-19 continues to crush the local economy, businesses like Big Time Brewing are suddenly struggling to survive. Classes have moved almost entirely online, and a fall UW football season won’t arrive in September to help keep them going.

The Pac-12 Conference announced this month that its fall sports season has been postponed through the end of the year. And in a letter to UW fans, athletic director Jen Cohen estimated that the Huskies could suffer up to $70 million in revenue losses as a result.

But the University of Washington won’t be the only one affected. There are also boat charters and hotels and restaurants and bars. There are so many endangered elephants.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, that was the place we were at. Learning that it is Sinclair - now it makes sense that they edited my spot to imply the statement they wanted.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:59 pm In college, there was an intramural basketball team where they all had the same Shaq Laker's jersey with the wrong number. A store was selling misprints for $5, so they all got one.
A few years ago we sat behind someone at a Sounders game that had a DeAndre Yedlin jersey on...but it said 'Yeldin'. The guy told us his grandmother had given it to him as a birthday present and he didn't have the heart to tell her it was a typo.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The name Timbuktu evolved from a derivation of "person with the big belly button"
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:51 pm
The Sybian wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:59 pm In college, there was an intramural basketball team where they all had the same Shaq Laker's jersey with the wrong number. A store was selling misprints for $5, so they all got one.
A few years ago we sat behind someone at a Sounders game that had a DeAndre Yedlin jersey on...but it said 'Yeldin'. The guy told us his grandmother had given it to him as a birthday present and he didn't have the heart to tell her it was a typo.
Eh, no one probably noticed

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

There are more plastic flamingos than real flamingos
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Someone I work with just had their first kid. The name? Geddy Lee <last name>.

Yep...he's a Canadian.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:56 pm Someone I work with just had their first kid. The name? Geddy Lee <last name>.

Yep...he's a Canadian.
That's funny. I watched a documentary on Rush awhile back and learned that Geddy Lee's given name is/was Gary Weintraub. His mother is from eastern europe (a holocaust survivor), so when she would call her son by his first name, her accent made it sound like she was saying "Geddy". In jest, his friends would imitate his mother and called him Geddy. And, the name stuck.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

And Alex Lifeson's real last name is Živojinović which when translated from Serbian means son of life.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This was an offline chat I'm bringing online ... does anyone here carry a pocketknife around? Including me, its 3 for 3 that we don't (and never really considered it) but our dads did/do.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

mister d wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:26 pm This was an offline chat I'm bringing online ... does anyone here carry a pocketknife around? Including me, its 3 for 3 that we don't (and never really considered it) but our dads did/do.
Make it 4 for 4 (though I'm considering starting out of respect for my dad).
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Neither me nor my father carry a pocket knife.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I don't carry one, but I do have one in both glove boxes. And whenever I start doing any kind of odd job around the house I usually pop one in there, but not for daily carry.

I didn't live with my dad growing up, but my grandpa absolutely carried a knife. And used it. I have one of his old pocketknives, actually.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:26 pm This was an offline chat I'm bringing online ... does anyone here carry a pocketknife around? Including me, its 3 for 3 that we don't (and never really considered it) but our dads did/do.
I've never carried one. My father always carries a little pocket knife. (He mainly uses it for opening packages and cleaning his fingernails.)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Me no..have two in my desk.

My father always carried a swiss army knife and small foldable scissors. He also had a pocket sized yearly calendar/address book. It was a New Year's process of rewriting all of the addresses, birthdays, and such into it. It was his outlook. I got him a Palm Pilot and he loved it..not to use..he liked the happy green circle that glowed as it charged (never took it out of the doc).

Note my dad also made all of his students learn to use a slide rule and would wear a pocket protector.

For the keen observers...check out how he wore a watch (it was more efficient to check), Yup that is a $20 digital casio right there. And bow tie was not for style...pure function as it does not fall in a patient's face leaning over a hospital bed.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I'm 50/50 given the day on having a folding knife with a replaceable box cutter blade on me. I used to carry a knife every day and I just ended up losing too many of them.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Cub scouts about all. Pic of dad is rather rockwellian. Nice.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't carry one around, but I have a utility/multi-purpose thing that is always around. I use it to open boxes, when I need a Phillips or Flathead screwdriver, and various other odd jobs where I don't want to have to go to the basement where I keep my tools.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

When deployed both a Gerber ("tactical steak knife") and a Leatherman (much better Swiss Army Knife).

When not deployed, nope.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:51 pm Cub scouts about all. Pic of dad is rather rockwellian. Nice.
I think that was from some University of Maryland Annual Report years ago.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

One in each car and the motor home and the house. But rarely in my pocket.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My father always carried a small penknife, and gave me one for my birthday when I was about 8 or 9. No idea where that is now...I never really carried it anywhere.

Back when I used to work more with hardware then I do now, I would carry a leatherman (and a mini-mag light) at work. Came in handy many times. Now that I'm strictly software, my leatherman lives with my camping gear.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I completely forgot, but I used to have a Swiss Army knife someone gave me as a gift. I used to use it as a keychain. Completely forgot I had it as I tried to enter the court house to get sworn in as a member of the NJ Bar. Turned away by the security guard and as I sort of panicked on what to do (I took a train), a very shady looking guy came up to me and told me to hide it in a potted plant on the sidewalk. I took my keys off, went in the courthouse, and I was surprised to find my knife when I came out. I don't think I ever carried it again after that day.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I never carried before I became an attorney, but any idea that I'd carry a knife was certainly dispelled after having to go through courthouse security checks regularly. It's also why I always have my phone on vibrate only.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I lost a decent keychain multitool to tsa because I forgot I had it
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Today I learned that David Fincher directed the George Michael "Freedom 90" video. I had no idea...

But now it all makes sense...
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Never carry a knife, but I do have a Swiss Army knife on my desk here at home. I think it was a gift to a kid at one point and ended up here somehow. I fiddle with it constantly.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:37 pm I lost a decent keychain multitool to tsa because I forgot I had it
I had about five keychain Leatherman tools once upon a time (and just one at a time on the keychain), but they all eventually went away from stuff like this. One at Staples Center, one at concert security...
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If things ever return to normal and we can worry about frivolous things again, I'm going to start a campaign against coffee makers measuring in false cups.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

What? Just a smidge over the 6 cup line on the maker = somewhere between 2.5 to 2.75 big boy cups for rass. Perfect.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A cup is a unit of measure. Its 8 ounces. You can't sell a 6 foot couch and then be like "we mean foot like the length of the average person's foot which is 10 inches".