Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Giff »

It’s been very healing for a big chunk of my family, so last night was really awesome to me.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I watched the first two episodes of Season 1 of "Schitt's Creek" while riding my wind trainer this morning...and a little Chris Elliot goes a long way.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 am I watched the first two episodes of Season 1 of "Schitt's Creek" while riding my wind trainer this morning...and a little Chris Elliot goes a long way.
That was one of my big problems as well. My wife keeps saying to make it through 4-5 episodes before giving up.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm actually not a Chris Elliot fan, and I worried that he'd fuck the show up. There are certainly a few plot lines where he's dominant, but overall he's pretty good in his role (IMO).

I actually think the way they tempered his aggressively ignorant portrayal is with his charmingly naive wife. Who is also a fantastic foil for Rose when Johnny isn't around.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:08 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 am I watched the first two episodes of Season 1 of "Schitt's Creek" while riding my wind trainer this morning...and a little Chris Elliot goes a long way.
That was one of my big problems as well. My wife keeps saying to make it through 4-5 episodes before giving up.
Yeah, push through his being such an A-hole and it really starts to round into form.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Just realized that when I bought my son a new iPhone I got a year of Apple TV+ for free. I guess I can try out that Ted Lasso show now.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:22 am Just realized that when I bought my son a new iPhone I got a year of Apple TV+ for free. I guess I can try out that Ted Lasso show now.
I’m excited for you. That’s how we got our subscription too.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:09 am I'm actually not a Chris Elliot fan, and I worried that he'd fuck the show up. There are certainly a few plot lines where he's dominant, but overall he's pretty good in his role (IMO).

I actually think the way they tempered his aggressively ignorant portrayal is with his charmingly naive wife. Who is also a fantastic foil for Rose when Johnny isn't around.
I agree with this. Elliot gets way less annoying as the season and series go on.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:25 am
Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:22 am Just realized that when I bought my son a new iPhone I got a year of Apple TV+ for free. I guess I can try out that Ted Lasso show now.
Yep, same here.

(Steer clear of the Defending Jacob show... Unless you want to watch a show shot all in dark blue and grey with extremely depressing characters dominating a really dark overall plot.)

ETA - One of my pet peeves are shows that lean so heavily on this "dark mood" motif, to the point that I find it distracting. Just tell your story. It's dark enough as is. It's like when they set shows in Seattle and then double-down with EVERY scene being dark, shadowy with all the clothes and walls painted grey, black, etc.

Like... I've been to Seattle (or Boston)... It's pretty fucking nice a lot of the time.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 pm
ETA - One of my pet peeves are shows that lean so heavily on this "dark mood" motif, to the point that I find it distracting. Just tell your story. It's dark enough as is. It's like when they set shows in Seattle and then double-down with EVERY scene being dark, shadowy with all the clothes and walls painted grey, black, etc.
haha The Killing
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 pm Like... I've been to Seattle (or Boston)... It's pretty fucking nice a lot of the time.
Shh...don't tell people that. We're crowded enough already!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:22 pm
haha The Killing
That's the show I was thinking of...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:30 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 pm Like... I've been to Seattle (or Boston)... It's pretty fucking nice a lot of the time.
Shh...don't tell people that. We're crowded enough already!
My buddy that owns a distillery makes this comment quite frequently.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:22 pm
haha The Killing
I thought the exact same thing. I also fondly remember the commenters at the A/V Club constantly posting, "Fuck you, AMC's The Killing."
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:06 pm
Giff wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:36 am Finally started Lovecraft Country. Pretty awesome so far.
I’ve seen the first two episodes and I like it.
Im through five. Very interesting show.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That sounds good. Too bad I’m a non-HBO-having chump.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:58 pmI’ve been watching love craft country while keeping an eye on Lakers game. How the fuck is it even possible for AD to only have one rebound in the fourth?
Saw this last night and the lack of a space today makes more sense.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

For you folks with HBO Max, watch Class Action Park next time you need to be entertained for 90 minutes. Doc about an insane theme park in Jersey during 70s/80s/90s. Well worth your time and surprised it wasn't mentioned here before.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rams Fanny wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:29 am For you folks with HBO Max, watch Class Action Park next time you need to be entertained for 90 minutes. Doc about an insane theme park in Jersey during 70s/80s/90s. Well worth your time and surprised it wasn't mentioned here before.
Think it was but in one of the numerous New Jersey threads. But I'm looking forward to seeing it. Would have checked it already but because of Amazon's pissing contest with HBO/TW I can't get the app on my Fire stick
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rams Fanny wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:29 am For you folks with HBO Max, watch Class Action Park next time you need to be entertained for 90 minutes. Doc about an insane theme park in Jersey during 70s/80s/90s. Well worth your time and surprised it wasn't mentioned here before.
Used to see tons of commercials for Action Park as a kid, and I always wanted to go. Now that I live in NJ and hear my NJ-raised friends talk about the place, very glad we went to other amusement parks instead. Almost everyone has a story of leaving large amounts of skin on a ride and having a friend of sibling sustain a more severe injury.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Anybody else watching "The Boys" on Amazon Prime? I'm about half way through Season 1 and it's pretty good. Elizabeth Shue held up nicely.

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

She's amazing
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:16 pm She's amazing
That picture doesn't do her justice for how good she looks on this show. I mean, it's not Leaving Las Vegas Shue, but she looks great.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'll take The Saint Shue for the win.

(she's great in that show)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I know a number of folks were all over this when S1 picked up some momentum.

I'm waiting for the show to put more episodes out. We tend to binge at least 2 at a time.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:27 pm Yeah, I know a number of folks were all over this when S1 picked up some momentum.

I'm waiting for the show to put more episodes out. We tend to binge at least 2 at a time.
I really enjoy it. Well casted.

While we're talking about Shue, Erin Moriarity (Starlight) ain't no slouch herself.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:14 pm Anybody else watching "The Boys" on Amazon Prime? I'm about half way through Season 1 and it's pretty good. Elizabeth Shue held up nicely.

YES. I just pushed this show a few pages back. Rass was ahead of me on it. I am four episodes into Season 2 and it remains really excellent.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I liked The Boys so much that I originally binged it by myself last summer, and then convinced my wife she needed to watch it all the way through with me again a month later.

(The original conversation on this show took place in the Netflix Suggestions thread.)
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I haven't watched any S2 of The Boys yet, but I'm itching to. S1 got better and better with each episode. It had one of the great season-enders that I can recall. Just full of Holy Shit! moments.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Season 2 has been great, and I think episode 3 is my favorite of the series so far. Glad they got Billy Joel to sign off/agree to take money from Bezos.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:10 pm I haven't watched any S2 of The Boys yet, but I'm itching to. S1 got better and better with each episode. It had one of the great season-enders that I can recall. Just full of Holy Shit! moments.
Things have to go up from sexual assault in the first 15 minutes right?

Eta: look I get that narrative arcs require tension and this shit happens in real life. I think I posted at the time that I just was tired of people on power doing bad shit. This was around the same time as a succession discussion. So it just wasn’t in my wheelhouse then or now. It seems to be well regarded and I trust the opinions of a lot of you guys but I just can’t work up interest at the moment. Too many other things I can watch I guess, too.

I don’t mean to show-shame.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Handled pretty well.

You got past ep 1 of Game of Thrones, right?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:19 pm Handled pretty well.

You got past ep 1 of Game of Thrones, right?
I did. But the societal landscape was much less in your face with it at the time. I edited to say I get it, just was/is not for me at the moment.

Eta: and maybe I’m missing the analogy, but I don’t recall the first GOT to be in the same ballpark. Refresh my memory. I don’t mean that mean, I’m just not in total recall I guess
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I mean, dany was raped as a consequence of being forced to marry drogo. That was first half hour.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:27 pm I mean, dany was raped as a consequence of being forced to marry drogo. That was first half hour.
Yeah, but they were married first!

Serisouly, I didn't remember that being so early on. But again, I think it's more about where my head was at/is at in terms of that show.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Amazon Prime Reading has vol 1 of the grphic novel/comic free to read.

Season 1 sent me down the Gareth Ennis graphic novel worm hole. I read all of The Boys and Preacher over 2 weeks. Only thing that slowed me down was the fact that the library did not have them immediately available.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I get what you're saying AB.

As TB said, the show definitely addresses that incident and there are consequences for the aggressor that continue through current episodes. I can only think of one other on-screen sexual assualt, which
[+] spoiler
is when the tables are turned on the aggressor from that first scene, but in a pretty ridiculous way such that it almost feels played for laughs which maybe makes it all the more uncomfortable - to be clear he is not prison raped or something like that
There is one other plot point that is related to rape, but we're just told it happened, never shown it.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:13 am I get what you're saying AB.

As TB said, the show definitely addresses that incident and there are consequences for the aggressor that continue through current episodes. I can only think of one other on-screen sexual assualt, which
[+] spoiler
is when the tables are turned on the aggressor from that first scene, but in a pretty ridiculous way such that it almost feels played for laughs which maybe makes it all the more uncomfortable - to be clear he is not prison raped or something like that
There is one other plot point that is related to rape, but we're just told it happened, never shown it.
[+] spoiler
And it turns out, it wasn't rape, after all.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:08 am
rass wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:13 am I get what you're saying AB.

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
And it turns out, it wasn't rape, after all.
[+] spoiler
Do we know that for sure? I don't remember her admitting it was 100% consensual but I could have been lost in Karl Urban's eyes and missed it.