Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

[+] spoiler
I had the vibe that it was more of a Harvey Weinstein type deal. She didn't feel like she had much choice and just leaned into it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I'm caught up. Damn, now I wish I wasn't caught up and have to wait for episode 7 to drop.

Seriously, this show is fantastic. And sadly perfect for our times. Political commentary so sharp.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:07 pm I'm caught up. Damn, now I wish I wasn't caught up and have to wait for episode 7 to drop.

Seriously, this show is fantastic. And sadly perfect for our times. Political commentary so sharp.
Are you blocking me. :D

That's exactly why I'm waiting a few more weeks.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:39 am
tennbengal wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:07 pm I'm caught up. Damn, now I wish I wasn't caught up and have to wait for episode 7 to drop.

Heh, def not blocking you. Could not comment on previous thoughts until I caught up.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:41 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:39 am

Heh, def not blocking you. Could not comment on previous thoughts until I caught up.
Sorry, I got a bit lost - which show are y'all talking about?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Boys on Amazon Prime. Second season dropped recently.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:03 am The Boys on Amazon Prime. Second season dropped recently.
Ok, thanks. We loved the first season, and we're also waiting for the entire second season to finish so we can binge it.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Wait. The character I hate has pecs that talk to him? What the duck.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:48 am
A_B wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:06 pm
Giff wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:36 am Finally started Lovecraft Country. Pretty awesome so far.
I’ve seen the first two episodes and I like it.
Im through five. Very interesting show.
Episode 8 spoilers below
[+] spoiler
The creepy twins are one of the scariest things I've seen in some time.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I've been binge watching 'Better Call Saul'...watching an episode every morning as I spin on my wind trainer. Through 2 seasons now. Its good...Bob Odenkirk is great, but all of Gilligan's little camera tricks (the camera looking out of a mailbox, tailpipe, etc...the fast stop-motion sequences) are starting to get annoying. They were ground breaking in Breaking Bad, but he seems to get too dependent on them.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Holy shit Season 2 of the Boys ended spectacularly.

What a great show.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Did anybody watch the South Park pandemic special? (S24 E1)

It was pretty awesome.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched the first episode of 'The Right Stuff' on Disney+ last night. The GF liked it, but I was solidly 'Meh'. I mean....I've read the book, and the movie is one of my favorites, so do I really need to see it all again?

And the guy playing John Glenn was no Ed Harris.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:04 pm Did anybody watch the South Park pandemic special? (S24 E1)

It was pretty awesome.
Hadn't seen South Park in over 10 years, but my Mom called me to tell me to watch this. My son had been asking, I said no. My mom first said, she didn't think there was any reason not to let him, but "Oh wait, there was a graphic scene of Mickey Mouse teaching Stan's dad how to have sex with a bat and pangolin, so maybe not." I thought they did a great job tying in a variety of things, like defunding the police, showing the schools. I keep laughing when I see people wearing chin diapers. Brought my car in for servicing, and half the service department were chin diapered up.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Holy crap have the last two "SNL"s sucked. Bill Burr is funny, and the Sam Adams ad was great, but otherwise horrible.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:14 am Holy crap have the last two "SNL"s sucked. Bill Burr is funny, and the Sam Adams ad was great, but otherwise horrible.
I saw the Dunkin' Doughnuts ad in the same vein posted elsewhere and Affleck's friend in that ad is the son in this one, so nice continuity.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:02 am
Pruitt wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:14 am Holy crap have the last two "SNL"s sucked. Bill Burr is funny, and the Sam Adams ad was great, but otherwise horrible.
I saw the Dunkin' Doughnuts ad in the same vein posted elsewhere and Affleck's friend in that ad is the son in this one, so nice continuity.
Dunkin' Donuts is a brand name, you can't fancy British spell that one.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Were you listening to some Zed Zed Top while you wrote that?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:33 am Were you listening to some Zed Zed Top while you wrote that?
You're going to have to get used to regional/local pronunciations pretty soon.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:32 am
Rush2112 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:02 am
Dunkin' Donuts is a brand name, you can't fancy British spell that one.
I think it's more actual English spelling, and the phone does it for me.

And I was listening to YYZ(ed). Thanks.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

And it's no longer Dunkin' Dou(gh)nuts either...it's simply Dunkin'.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:07 pm And it's no longer Dunkin' Dou(gh)nuts either...it's simply Dunkin'.
I heard that the truth in advertising laws were going to force them to change it to "Dunkin' in Bad Coffee".
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Doughnut has to be the correct spelling, right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:53 pm Doughnut has to be the correct spelling, right?
Dictionary yes.

"The Official Dictionary Spelling of the word in question—if you're into that sort of thing—is “doughnut.” The expedited, simplified, Americanized spelling of “donut,” as Grammarist tells us, has been around since at least the late 19th century. It didn't catch on, though, until late in the 20th century."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Lasso just got renewed for 2 more seasons
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:40 am Lasso just got renewed for 2 more seasons
[+] spoiler
We're going up!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

If it's for 2 more seasons... I smell a Leeds United scenario.

Heartbreak in the promotion playoff, then a triumphant promotion battle in the 3rd season.

/Ted Lasso

I absolutely love this show. But I don't see how it could go on more than 3 seasons and maintain it's structure.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:03 am If it's for 2 more seasons... I smell a Leeds United scenario.

Heartbreak in the promotion playoff, then a triumphant promotion battle in the 3rd season.

/Ted Lasso

I absolutely love this show. But I don't see how it could go on more than 3 seasons and maintain it's structure.
[+] spoiler
I think they will again lose in the promotion playoffs, but then the team they lost to will get put into administration or some weird english football shit and they'll get to the Premier league at the death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:03 am If it's for 2 more seasons... I smell a Leeds United scenario.

/Ted Lasso

I didn't see how they could make it more than a 5 minute ad trailer, but they pulled it off. I've only seen 3 episodes, but I'm assuming they pulled it off based on everything I've heard. Reviews were so positive, my parents are going to watch it.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I just finished season 2 of Ozark and God Damn is Laura Linney great on that show. I have some issues with a few things with the show overall, but man is she a great character. Ruth as well, to be honest.
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:24 pm I just finished season 2 of Ozark and God Damn is Laura Linney great on that show. I have some issues with a few things with the show overall, but man is she a great character. Ruth as well, to be honest.
So good. The show. And the actors. And both Linney and the actress playing Ruth are killing it.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:26 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:24 pm I just finished season 2 of Ozark and God Damn is Laura Linney great on that show. I have some issues with a few things with the show overall, but man is she a great character. Ruth as well, to be honest.
So good. The show. And the actors. And both Linney and the actress playing Ruth are killing it.
Yeah, one interesting thing about this show in contrast to other crime prestige shows like Breaking Bad and The Sopranos, is that it's the women who are the real players. They're smarter, more capable, and honestly, in many cases, more evil than the men. It's an interesting twist.

I will say that a few plot points aren't quite as water tight as, say, Breaking Bad (like what's up with having the old guy they bought the house from just happening to be old buds with the head of the KC mob?), but it's still a lot of fun to watch.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:34 pm
Yeah, one interesting thing about this show in contrast to other crime prestige shows like Breaking Bad and The Sopranos, is that it's the women who are the real players. They're smarter, more capable, and honestly, in many cases, more evil than the men. It's an interesting twist.

100% agree with this point, and you can add in the cartel lawyer. What I love about the badass women is that they are complete characters. They aren't pure evil, but are willing to go to extreme ends to get what they want. Ruth's family situation... I mean, you get why she is so tough. Laura Linney is probably the most evil. The lawyer seemed evil, but then she gets humanized a bit and she just has to be an evil extreme badass because of the client she got wrapped up in representing. I need to get around to Season 3.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:04 am

100% agree with this point, and you can add in the cartel lawyer. What I love about the badass women is that they are complete characters. They aren't pure evil, but are willing to go to extreme ends to get what they want. Ruth's family situation... I mean, you get why she is so tough. Laura Linney is probably the most evil. The lawyer seemed evil, but then she gets humanized a bit and she just has to be an evil extreme badass because of the client she got wrapped up in representing. I need to get around to Season 3.
You do. Even more intense, if you can believe that.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:24 am
The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:04 am

You do. Even more intense, if you can believe that.
That's been the unanimous consensus.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, "evil" probably isn't fair for Ruth, but she's undeniably a badass. The others, Wendy, Darlene (especially), and the lawyer, could probably qualify as evil. Certainly a lot of people they manipulated, coerced, or killed would think so. But at the same time, the show does a pretty good job of humanizing them (at least, with Wendy and Ruth).

The show ain't perfect, but it's pretty damn good. Looking forward to season 3.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I will say that a few plot points aren't quite as water tight as, say, Breaking Bad (like what's up with having the old guy they bought the house from just happening to be old buds with the head of the KC mob?), but it's still a lot of fun to watch.
Breaking Bad has some coincidences as well...like Jane's father being the Air Traffic Controller...and Walter sat down next to him in a bar and talked with him for a few minutes? That was one hell of a coincidence ... and one that almost made me give up watching the show.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Big same. Ridiculous.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:07 pm
Breaking Bad has some coincidences as well...like Jane's father being the Air Traffic Controller...and Walter sat down next to him in a bar and talked with him for a few minutes? That was one hell of a coincidence ... and one that almost made me give up watching the show.
I forgot about that. That wasn't great. But at least it was just a plot device - symbolism of the destruction Walt was leaving in his wake. Otherwise, it had nothing directly to do with the main storyline.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The West Wing special (HBO Max) was pretty good. The beat of that show, the dialog, etc..just picked up where it left off. Done more like a play than TV. The actors fit their roles just like before (even the substitute for Leo was a nice fit). Good stuff.