2020 Presidential Election: Joe Biden vs Whoever the Republicans Nominate

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: 2020 Presidential Election: Joe Biden vs Whoever the Republicans Nominate

Post by Giff »

They're going to start a war the same way there was a mass exodus of liberals from the US to other countries after trump won in 2016.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So in 2024?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

psunate77 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:52 am So people still don't think there will be trouble this election..

Sadly, there are thousand of these fruit cakes out there just itching to start trouble.
And they have lots of guns. I think there'll be pockets of trouble, lots of protests with heavily armed cowards, but I don't think it'll be any worse what what we've seen for the last few months.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Jesus. The right are such pussies.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Joe K wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:45 am Okay, so now we’re back to your boogeyman about privileged, straight, white male non-voters. But as I showed you before with the Pew data from 2016, that stereotype is nothing like what the non-voter share of the electorate actually looks like. It’s easy for you to be angry at mythical “Bernie Bros,” but you don’t seem willing to grapple with the fact that the people who aren’t inspired enough by the Democratic Party to get out and vote are actually poorer, less educated, and less white than the country as a whole. That might say something about which groups the Democratic Party isn’t doing a good enough job of helping. It might also tie in to the related point about who’s getting slammed by the unfairness of the modern economy. None of this is to say that the GOP isn’t worse. But I’m very tired of this nonsensical centrist talking point that economic leftists don’t care about women, minorities or other disadvantaged groups.
C'mon. This is another dodge and another strawman.

Yes, there is a large group of non-voters who are completely disengaged politically. These folks tend to be economically disadvantaged. Let's call them Group A.

There is a distinct group of people who *are* politically engaged, and who claim to care about progressive causes, including the fate of the economically disadvantaged and otherwise marginalized, yet who have refused or threatened to refuse to vote for Democrats because the Democrats haven't "done enough" to appeal to them personally. This is Group B. These people are generally not disadvantaged or marginalized. Most of them seem to be privileged white men.

Regardless of whether Group A is larger than Group B, the fact remains that (i) Group B is politically engaged and generally able to vote, (ii) in both 2000 and 2016 Group B was large enough to make the difference between a Dem win and a Republican win, (iii) in both 2000 and 2016 significant numbers of Group B consciously chose not to vote for the Democrats, (iv) if they had voted for the Democrats in 2000 and 2016, the Democrats would have won those elections, and (v) the Democratic losses in both years made things appreciably worse for the people and concerns that Group B claims to care so much about.

Talking about Group A is a dodge for at least two reasons ...

First, regardless of anything about Group A, the fact remains that Group B's decision not to stop the Republicans in 2000 and 2016 led to Republican victories, and those victories made things so much worse for the economically disadvantaged, women, racial and religious minorities, and the environment. Besides the Supreme Court, think of all the years lost because the Green Party torpedoed the greenest presidential candidate we've ever had!

Second, the Group A argument appears to assume that if the Dems did more to appeal to the economically disadvantaged, significant numbers of Group A folks would become politically engaged and would start voting. While that does make sense in theory, is there any evidence for it? These people are disengaged. Many of them just don't think in political terms or don't have the time, energy, aptitude, or desire to make the kinds of decisions that political engagement requires. Maybe I'm mistaken, but aren't these the people Bernie Sanders has been trying to appeal to since 2015? It doesn't seem like that has worked to any great extent. (Also, if the Dems adopted policies that appealed to these Group A nonvoters, would that result in a net gain of votes for the Dems, or would it drive others away in greater numbers?)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:34 am Jesus. The right are such pussies.
I know a guy who looks/acts exactly like that dude in the video. Softest motherfucker I've ever met in my fucking life. I'd reckon that's 90% of them. Lots of talk for their tiktok views but complete fucking pansies.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:58 am They're going to start a war the same way there was a mass exodus of liberals from the US to other countries after trump won in 2016.
We're still waiting for the 2008 influx as well.

Alec Baldwin is 0-3 on promised moves to Canada.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:35 amRegardless of whether Group A is larger than Group B
Group A is like a thousand times bigger than Group B. They are non-comps.
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:35 amSecond, the Group A argument appears to assume that if the Dems did more to appeal to the economically disadvantaged, significant numbers of Group A folks would become politically engaged and would start voting. While that does make sense in theory, is there any evidence for it? These people are disengaged. Many of them just don't think in political terms or don't have the time, energy, aptitude, or desire to make the kinds of decisions that political engagement requires.
I'd argue 2008 vote total versus 2016 (3.7MM) vote total would point to exactly this. How many black voters who don't vote every four years do you think turned out because Obama had direct, tangible appeal?
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:35 amMaybe I'm mistaken, but aren't these the people Bernie Sanders has been trying to appeal to since 2015? It doesn't seem like that has worked to any great extent. (Also, if the Dems adopted policies that appealed to these Group A nonvoters, would that result in a net gain of votes for the Dems, or would it drive others away in greater numbers?)
Bernie is a miserable candidate to deliver the message he's bringing. Old, rich, white career politician who sounds angry all the time. His message in from a charismatic candidate would force the Dem establishment to ensure there isn't a large field in the next open election, not wait to see who falls out of SC.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:26 am
And they have lots of guns. I think there'll be pockets of trouble, lots of protests with heavily armed cowards, but I don't think it'll be any worse what what we've seen for the last few months.
I'm worried about some yahoo ploughing his car through a line of people at a polling place.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Leaving brief cases or Unidentified packages at polling stations too.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That name again is Mr. Plough

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:47 am
I'm worried about some yahoo ploughing his car through a line of people at a polling place.
But it's completely antithetical to the messaging that they want people to vote in person. I'd say that the majority of people who choose to vote by mail and never go to the polling place would be the people they're trying to "intimidate." And I don't think Grandma would like going to a place where the Proud Boys are standing by no matter how much she wanted to vote for Trump. It would be pretty hilarious for it to completely backfire.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I assume most people are aware that US polling places don't have perfectly matching demographics. (And also that conservatives don't wait in line outdoors to vote.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:08 pm I assume most people are aware that US polling places don't have perfectly matching demographics. (And also that conservatives don't wait in line outdoors to vote.)
Me and my integrated suburb. Sorry.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It would absolutely backfire in this purple state but I could see it working quite well in Michigan, where most Democratic voters are concentrated in a four-country area in and around Detroit.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:05 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:47 am
But it's completely antithetical to the messaging that they want people to vote in person. I'd say that the majority of people who choose to vote by mail and never go to the polling place would be the people they're trying to "intimidate." And I don't think Grandma would like going to a place where the Proud Boys are standing by no matter how much she wanted to vote for Trump. It would be pretty hilarious for it to completely backfire.
This is why it's important that the Dems are competitive in a lot of states this year. Do you plough your car into voters in a place like Michigan, where it's not likely to kill enough people to change the outcome? Or do you defend your home turf and plough your car into voters in North Carolina or Iowa?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:50 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:34 am Jesus. The right are such pussies.
I know a guy who looks/acts exactly like that dude in the video. Softest motherfucker I've ever met in my fucking life. I'd reckon that's 90% of them. Lots of talk for their tiktok views but complete fucking pansies.
dingdingdingdingding

Winner winner.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:38 pmDo you plough your car into voters in a place like Michigan, where it's not likely to kill enough people to change the outcome? Or do you defend your home turf and plough your car into voters in North Carolina or Iowa?
The point wouldn't be to kill enough people in one line to tilt an election, it would be to force people in blue areas to fear showing up as planned.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Maybe you guys missed this bit of news: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
The margins are “stunning” — and bad news for Republicans up and down the ballot, said longtime GOP pollster Whit Ayres. While the Republican Party is focused on getting voters out on Election Day, he noted that older voters who have traditionally supported Republicans are most concerned about being infected with the novel coronavirus and could choose to stay home if the outbreak intensifies as the election nears.

The trend has emerged after Trump spent months assailing voting by mail, making unsubstantiated claims that it is prone to corruption and fraud — attacks that have resonated with Republican voters, polls show. State and local Republicans, fearful of losing what has long been a key turnout advantage for the GOP, spent the past few months racing to reassure voters that voting by mail was safe, despite the president’s rhetoric.
Talk about backfiring.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The guy's not playing 4D chess -- he's just a blowhard who got lucky in 2016 and cowed some of the weakest, most spineless people on Earth (Republicans)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, that entire narrative about him being crazy like a fox is so played and demonstrably false.

Just like his being a business genius is based in utter and complete bullshit.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Russian operation masqueraded as right-wing news site to target U.S. voters
From the Reddit discussion thread wrote:Not sure about the validity of it, but I read on another thread that Reuters investigation discovered that the comment section on the site wasn't racist enough to come across as authentically American. And so that's what led to the investigation.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:01 pm Maybe you guys missed this bit of news: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
The margins are “stunning” — and bad news for Republicans up and down the ballot, said longtime GOP pollster Whit Ayres. While the Republican Party is focused on getting voters out on Election Day, he noted that older voters who have traditionally supported Republicans are most concerned about being infected with the novel coronavirus and could choose to stay home if the outbreak intensifies as the election nears.

The trend has emerged after Trump spent months assailing voting by mail, making unsubstantiated claims that it is prone to corruption and fraud — attacks that have resonated with Republican voters, polls show. State and local Republicans, fearful of losing what has long been a key turnout advantage for the GOP, spent the past few months racing to reassure voters that voting by mail was safe, despite the president’s rhetoric.
Talk about backfiring.
I dunno, though. I mean, yeah it's great that Dems are showing this kind of enthusiasm. But it's easy to fuck up your ballot doing it by mail. And mailed ballots are more subject to being lost or misplaced. And of course there will be more people who forget they voted by mail or vote again just to be sure. And of course the mailed ballots will be counted later and thus look for suspicious - especially combined with the countless stories we will read about these problems.

People are fucking stupid. They cannot follow easy directions, let alone complicated ones. If more of the Dem voting is done by mail, more of the Dem votes will be lost. I would much rather read about a massive Dem advantage in early polling places than a massive advantage in mail-in ballot requests.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm getting my mail-in ballot next week (they're being sent to all eligible voters in NV), but am going to vote in person for that reason. I suspect a lot of people are.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Trump is going to find a way to have the mail-in vote count be higher than the number of voters.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

In kentucky you can drop them off at the clerk's office. That eliminates the mail issue, but doesn't fully remedy the "filled it out wrong" issue.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:36 pm In kentucky you can drop them off at the clerk's office. That eliminates the mail issue, but doesn't fully remedy the "filled it out wrong" issue.
People fuck voting in person, too.

MD has drop off boxes. I have my ballot and will probably drop it off over the weekend.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

degenerasian wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:34 pm Trump is going to find a way to have the mail-in vote count be higher than the number of voters.
100%. If he is already complaining about finding all these ballots that were for him. He will fix the numbers easily. Remember his people are in a lot of battle ground states.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

psunate77 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:05 pm
degenerasian wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:34 pm Trump is going to find a way to have the mail-in vote count be higher than the number of voters.
100%. If he is already complaining about finding all these ballots that were for him. He will fix the numbers easily. Remember his people are in a lot of battle ground states.
Except the ballots are controlled by the states, so other than declaring a made up number that is easily verifiable, what can he do?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Has anyone followed this story??

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Gavin McInnes stuck a dildo in his ass to prove he doesn't have gay people. (And thereby own the Libz, presumably, who said he doesn't like gay people.)

I'm not lying.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:16 pm I..stuck a dildo in..a.b...presumably,...he doesn't like gay p.p...I'm not lying.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:16 pm Gavin McInnes stuck a dildo in his ass to prove he doesn't have gay people. (And thereby own the Libz, presumably, who said he doesn't like gay people.)

I'm not lying.
wut
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sorry, typo.

*hate gay people
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nothing short of a dick would convince me.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:38 pm No... short ... dick ...in... me.
Lazy. Do better.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

How has DT not tested positive yet??

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Hope Hicks with Covid. Does that spare us all the second debate then?