The Weather

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: The Weather

Post by Steve of phpBB »

How dark is it? Is it darker than those December overcast rainy days? I think that would be very grueling to deal with.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It's much better today, but yesterday it was very dark, worst in the afternoon. You'd have to have the light on in any room in the house to read a book, even if all the windows were open.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

AQI here in Seattle is currently hovering around 250. The sky is a ghastly sickly orange. My eyes are burning and I have a headache.

Yeah...things are awesome!
OceanMatt
Jackie Treehorn

Post by OceanMatt »

Just navigated the first tornado warning of Hurricane Sally's slow as fuck landfall. Scary few minutes, but Mrs. OM got the kids back down after we cleared out of the shelter space (interior bathroom).

Lots of rain, wind has picked up. Going to be a long 18-24 hours, but all is good so far...
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

We’ve got close friends in Mobile and Pensacola. Hoping damage is minimal for y’all down there.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Good luck OM.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Expecting 5 inches locally but tbh that looks like more than 5 inches to me
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

OceanMatt wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:08 am Just navigated the first tornado warning of Hurricane Sally's slow as fuck landfall. Scary few minutes, but Mrs. OM got the kids back down after we cleared out of the shelter space (interior bathroom).

Lots of rain, wind has picked up. Going to be a long 18-24 hours, but all is good so far...
Where are you folks at these days? My mother-in-law is by herself in Crestview. I assume she's far enough from the coast to be safe from most of the bad stuff, and she's on a bit of a hill so flooding shouldn't be an issue.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

OceanMatt wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:08 am Just navigated the first tornado warning of Hurricane Sally's slow as fuck landfall. Scary few minutes, but Mrs. OM got the kids back down after we cleared out of the shelter space (interior bathroom).

Hope all is well.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

It's not looking good for the Three-Mile Bridge in Pensacola, connecting Pensacola with Gulf Breeze and Pensacola Beach.

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2020/09/ ... 816976002/
OceanMatt
Jackie Treehorn

Post by OceanMatt »

Made it through with modest damage to property and all members of the OM fam in good shape.

Scary overnight (see aforementioned tornado warning) and we were ALL caught flatfooted by this track. I always put up hurricane shutters, but the weird slow track that kept pushing eastward surprised me and most of the rest of us here, so I was not able to do so this time. Even our sheriff confessed to being surprised by the direct hit.

I'm five miles off the coast, so saw none of the storm surge that swamped (pun not intended) downtown Pensacola. That said, we got LOTS of rain and those Cat 2 winds are no joke. Yes, the Three-mile Bridge appears to be properly fucked after having been hit by multiple construction barges ("we're going to need a bigger anchor!").

Many trees down, so massive power outages around town. Gulf Power reported 95% of Escambia County was out this morning. Our electricity was out for ~40 hours, but is now powering glorious AC in the casa. Even that power outage was not as bad as it could have been because the temps were unseasonably "cool" at mid-80s.

Rivers will be getting lots of water from the upstream rains, so river flooding of the Blackwater and others will be a problem for several more days yet.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

151 straight days without rain today. That would be the all-time record for Las Vegas going back for 110 years of record-keeping.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:37 pm 151 straight days without rain today. That would be the all-time record for Las Vegas going back for 110 years of record-keeping.
Is this new system moving through supposed to give you folks any? We don't have 151 rainless days here, but it's been a long damn time for us and it's supposed to rain tomorrow.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

It is raining (finally) this afternoon here...and it is glorious...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:15 pm
brian wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:37 pm 151 straight days without rain today. That would be the all-time record for Las Vegas going back for 110 years of record-keeping.
Is this new system moving through supposed to give you folks any? We don't have 151 rainless days here, but it's been a long damn time for us and it's supposed to rain tomorrow.
There's a chance I think (and it's darkening up a little already), but I still think there's only a small chance (10-20 percent). We're heading to Carlsbad on Sunday, so it will probably rain the whole time we're there since it's my only vacation for the rest of the year, but the rain is so needed that's the extent of the complaining I'll do if it happens.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Less than two songs into my run this morning and I was regretting not wearing gloves. Got over it once I made it into some consistent sunlight.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:21 am Less than two songs into my run this morning and I was regretting not wearing gloves. Got over it once I made it into some consistent sunlight.
Going with the knit cap and extra long-sleeved t-shirt for the early dog walk was a good choice, as there was a light frost on the ground. I bagged my planned walk after that.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wearing jeans to walk downtown to pickup my kid after she’s done with work and maybe grab dinner. First jeans since May?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So, Hurricane Delta.

We are planning to drive from here to the Florida panhandle starting tomorrow to visit my mother-in-law. (We had to cancel our trip back in March.) Is that an insanely stupid thing to do with a hurricane coming? It looks like the storm will pass through before we get there, but should we expect lingering high winds? We're driving a motor home, so tropical storm-level winds are not good. Will the gas stations have gas?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:25 am So, Hurricane Delta.

We are planning to drive from here to the Florida panhandle starting tomorrow to visit my mother-in-law. (We had to cancel our trip back in March.) Is that an insanely stupid thing to do with a hurricane coming? It looks like the storm will pass through before we get there, but should we expect lingering high winds? We're driving a motor home, so tropical storm-level winds are not good. Will the gas stations have gas?
In all honesty Steve, as much as it sucks to cancel twice, I wouldn't. If that thing makes a harder eastward swing it's gonna be rough, especially in an RV.

Just want you to think about safety first. I don't know know if it's changed but reports on Monday were that it could be Cat3/4 when it makes landfall. If it swings east it's going to stay over the gulf longer and continue to gain strength.

Take care of yourself.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I work w/ someone from whatever you call the area of Alabama over the panhandle and they're preparing. I don't think its a place I'd voluntarily head to right now.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pretty impressive that "going to Florida, where there are no COVID restrictions" isn't even on the radar of determining if it's a good or bad idea.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'd stay near N. Texas/Oklahoma until the damage can be assessed. That being said, you might make it 3/4 of the way, and if the destruction is bad, need to turn back around.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Whereabout in the panhandle?

Based on the track they'll have plenty of gas, but that's the thing, it's just a projected track. There's very few if any historical storms that have followed this track (1893 Cheniere Chaminade prob the closest), so who knows what tf it's gonna do.

EDIT: The excessively high winds won't last very long. You may have stiff winds for a day after it passes through but I don't see you like getting steady 50 mph winds or anything. The day after Irma was like a standard overcast/breezy day.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

It would have to be such a weird track to hit mid-Florida panhandle

EDIT Again: Actually it would be quite similar to 1893 if it did that soooo nm.

I still don't think it would stray that far east of a bunch of models in near lockstep agreement. IMO the issue the predictions have today is not the track so much as the intensity, since the Gulf is bathwater now.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Mother in Law lives in Crestview. It’s 30 miles inland and on higher ground. And she has a generator to power the whole house. They’ve had hurricanes go through and are generally ok.

We won’t even reach the storm area until Sunday. (Driving a rickety motor home takes forever.) I’m hoping that if the coastal areas are fucked up we can get through by staying north. I’ve wanted to check out the Pettus Bridge anyway.

I can also stop and wait for a day if I need to wait out the winds. As long as I can keep buying gas ...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:56 am

I'd stay near N. Texas/Oklahoma until the damage can be assessed. That being said, you might make it 3/4 of the way, and if the destruction is bad, need to turn back around.
That’s kinda the plan. I hear Shreveport is lovely this time of year anyway.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:21 pm The Mother in Law lives in Crestview. It’s 30 miles inland and on higher ground. And she has a generator to power the whole house. They’ve had hurricanes go through and are generally ok.

We won’t even reach the storm area until Sunday. (Driving a rickety motor home takes forever.) I’m hoping that if the coastal areas are fucked up we can get through by staying north. I’ve wanted to check out the Pettus Bridge anyway.

I can also stop and wait for a day if I need to wait out the winds. As long as I can keep buying gas ...
I guess you could just buy some gas cans for the stretch through AL and MS. I really don't think gas will be a huge issue though.

They've never had a category 4 or 5 hurricane go through, and that's what you're really worried about. It would still be powerful enough to do major damage to most houses if it were that strong but being inland means you don't have to worry about storm surge. The problem is that you likely won't have power for possibly weeks - it was almost 2 weeks until they got the power back up to my house after Irma. The generator is really only for essentials at that point.

And if it does in fact hit that area, it's probably going to hit on Saturday/Sunday. I just don't think it will and even if it does you can avoid the worst of it - the murder part of hurricanes isn't usually all that wide.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Like, if it becomes this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Eloise) but category 5 or even 4 at landfall, it's not going to be a fun place to be for awhile.

This one's actually really similar, so it's certainly possible. Mind you I'd still go and deal with it if it becomes something I had to deal with.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:39 pm Like, if it becomes this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Eloise) but category 5 or even 4 at landfall, it's not going to be a fun place to be for awhile.

This one's actually really similar, so it's certainly possible. Mind you I'd still go and deal with it if it becomes something I had to deal with.
Yeah I’ll be hoping it doesn’t become that. Yikes.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If you put a sail on top of that Winnebago, you can probably save a lot on gas.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:22 pm If you put a sail on top of that Winnebago, you can probably save a lot on gas.
Check with DiS first, but I assume tacking on the highway is challenging.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I don't quite trust the intensity forecasts these days but that being said, the projected impact of this thing has been reduced quite a bit since yesterday.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

fuck this taking the afternoon off
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Yeah definitely a "sorry, gotta go GPS those trails I've been putting off" kind of day up here.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, take advantage if you're in the East. Cold front coming through (at least in the Mid Atlantic) that's going to dip folks into the 40s Friday/Saturday.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:34 pm I don't quite trust the intensity forecasts these days but that being said, the projected impact of this thing has been reduced quite a bit since yesterday.
That whole thing ended up being mostly a nonevent (for us anyway). In the Southern half of Louisiana we could see some flooded fields and yards, and a fair amount of tree damage. But the roads were clear. It wasn’t even windy.

We just got fucked from Hurricane Sally though. I was trying to rent a car for my daughter. But cars are not available because half the rental cars at the local airport suffered flood damage and are out of commission.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Christ. Sat down outside in the sun to have a quick cup of chai before happy hour and a smoke cloud rolled in, dropped the temp 10° and now snowing ash.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:27 pm Christ. Sat down outside in the sun to have a quick cup of chai before happy hour and a smoke cloud rolled in, dropped the temp 10° and now snowing ash.
The campfire smell here in Longmont is worse than ever.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

We're staying up north of Tabernash this weekend and had planned to drive up to the Lake Granby area tomorrow. But since the drive there borders a pre-evacuation area for the new fire (East Troublesome) that started a couple of days ago, we're gonna pass on that.

Huge difference in smoke just from yesterday, when we got here, to today.